PDA

View Full Version : CBS Eye On College B-Ball Podcast 2/6 - Norlander/Parrish discuss Zags (GREAT!!!)

CDC84
02-06-2017, 01:53 PM
https://soundcloud.com/cbssportspodcasts/0205-so-the-weekend-got-nuts-and-weve-got-a-lot-to-talk-about

Norlander and Parrish discuss the Zags from about the 18:10 mark to the 27:00 mark. I don't want to spoil it for you, but their discussion is just fantastic and very much sums up the frustration that so many Zag fans feel about how the program is looked at and the unrealistic expectations that are put upon it by people who have a disdain for non power-5 schools.

Both Norlander and TSN's Mike Decourcy feel GU is a lock for a one seed right now even if they lose a game. But I also get the sense that they feel that if GU loses a game, it will be to SMC or BYU.

gonstu
02-06-2017, 02:00 PM
https://soundcloud.com/cbssportspodcasts/0205-so-the-weekend-got-nuts-and-weve-got-a-lot-to-talk-about

Norlander and Parrish discuss the Zags from about the 18:10 mark to the 27:00 mark. I don't want to spoil it for you, but their discussion is just fantastic and very much sums up the frustration that so many Zag fans feel about how the program is looked at and the unrealistic expectations that are put upon it by people who have a disdain for non power-5 schools.

Both Norlander and TSN's Mike Decourcy feel GU is a lock for a one seed right now even if they lose a game. But I also get the sense that they feel that if GU loses a game, it will be to SMC or BYU.

It was a great episode for zags fans!

gonzagafan62
02-06-2017, 02:06 PM
That was AWESOME!

Zagger
02-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Pretty good on the Zags. I feel for the most part that we Zag fans ignore the slamming more than many of the sports writers/commentators. We both want the Zags in the FF but for different reasons (at least how I feel anyway). It's already been a heck of a season. I surely don't think the Zags will have a game like Arizona did at Oregon - the Zags are just too deep and too good at defense. The team could have an off shooting game compared to an opponent shooting like Oregon did. But, I think those chances are just not there due to the determination of this Zags bunch and the coaching. To me, how well the Zags have done in the 2nd half of games speaks to the coaching. The team corrects mistakes and improves their play in the 2nd half. I also do not think the Zags will see a tougher venue than Provo and Moraga after 2/11. The team did well in Provo. This coming Saturday will be another great test for the Zags. If they can dominate SMC in Moraga I'm going to feel pretty good about their chances well into March.

CDC84
02-06-2017, 03:10 PM
It's totally true what they say. If Oregon gets a 2 seed in this tournament and then gets bounced in the sweet 16, and Gonzaga gets a one seed in this tournament and gets bounced in the sweet 16, who do you think is going to get the majority of the criticism? The Zags by a long shot, and it won't have anything to do with the fact that GU is the one and Oregon is the two. It will be because of GU's conference affiliation. And then the BCS homers will use that sweet 16 loss as justification for why GU should never get a number one seed ever again. If you read Parrish's 25 and one column on a weekly basis, there are people who actually feel that Gonzaga should be seeded based on their tournament history. Their current resume and analytics are meaningless.

The one area where I disagree with Parrish is that I don't feel a final four will put an end to this. Like Few said is one the recent columns that was posted here, the critics will then say Gonzaga is nothing because they haven't won a national title, or they haven't been to two final fours. There will ALWAYS be something.

JPtheBeasta
02-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the link! Gonna add them to my podcast list and follow it for awhile. They seem to know their stuff.

...And I agree that there will always be something to the naysayers. It's like the Old Money vs New Money thing. I'm happy to be late to the party, as long as the Zags finally get there (forget that, I'll be happy no matter what. This team is a joy to follow year-in and year-out).

Section 116
02-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Good stuff, CDC, thanks!

CDC84
02-06-2017, 04:31 PM
I personally think this is the best college basketball podcast that there is. The other ones (Katz/Greenberg, Rothstein, etc.) tend to be focused on interviews with coaches. The episodes can be interesting depending on the coach, but the CBS guys keep it to analysis only, as well news-related items related to college basketball (NCAA investigations....that kind of thing).

Advice: avoid Adam Zagoria's 4 Quarters Podcast. They're major BCS homers.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 04:38 PM
I personally think this is the best college basketball podcast that there is. The other ones (Katz/Greenberg, Rothstein, etc.) tend to be focused on interviews with coaches. The episodes can be interesting depending on the coach, but the CBS guys keep it to analysis only, as well news-related items related to college basketball (NCAA investigations....that kind of thing).

Advice: avoid Adam Zagoria's 4 Quarters Podcast. They're major BCS homers.

One of my favorites. Do get tired of the off basketball discussions

MDABE80
02-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Undefeated and a 1 seed STILL being attacked. Something's wrong with these aholes who do this. Just game but after a while it gets tiresome. THEN we look at others' records and we fit nicely in how man V's we've piled up again the top 50...an so on.
I hope we ravage this entire field. I hope we beat these teams badly. and bad.
The WCC is a league we expect to win even though SMC got rave press till Arlington ( a very good team) beat them. Now, the media s cooled on them.
I hope we finish undefeated. But once the NCAA sets it, I hope we crush everyone. I'm just so p'eed off we have to go through this every year.

WallaWallaZag
02-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Undefeated and a 1 seed STILL being attacked. Something's wrong with these aholes who do this. Just game but after a while it gets tiresome. THEN we look at others' records and we fit nicely in how man V's we've piled up again the top 50...an so on.
I hope we ravage this entire field. I hope we beat these teams badly. and bad.
The WCC is a league we expect to win even though SMC got rave press till Arlington ( a very good team) beat them. Now, the media s cooled on them.
I hope we finish undefeated. But once the NCAA sets it, I hope we crush everyone. I'm just so p'eed off we have to go through this every year.

would be fun to do something to a program like kentucky what florida just did to them...win by 22.
but doing it in the tournament. unfortunately, demolishing utah and ivan drago doesn't register much...
except zags became heroes to the byu fan base.

BayAreaZagFan
02-07-2017, 06:43 AM
GU could (and hopefully will) finish the season undefeated, win each WCC tournament game by double-digits, earn the #1 overall seed, and... we'll still have to listen to that "No #1 seed has ever lost to a #16 seed. This could be the year." crap. They could even make it to the championship game and the experts would still be talking about "Cinderella".

DixieZag
02-07-2017, 08:00 AM
GU could (and hopefully will) finish the season undefeated, win each WCC tournament game by double-digits, earn the #1 overall seed, and... we'll still have to listen to that "No #1 seed has ever lost to a #16 seed. This could be the year." crap. They could even make it to the championship game and the experts would still be talking about "Cinderella".

I think this year's different. If we finish this out, and earn the number one seed, crushing people along the way, I don't think we'll hear about being a Cinderella.

As much as we critique the media's treatment of us, I think this year is clearly different. There's some real respect out there. Ha, even Seth has us ranked number 2 and you know he's dying to put a 7 next to our name but just can't do it with a straight face. Being ranked number 2 to Nova is irksome, but it's hardly disrespect. They're national champs w/ 2 losses in the Big East. I think we're better but that's not "disrespect."

CDC84
02-07-2017, 08:04 AM
I always go back to what Dan Dickau once said.....for some reason the 2013 #1 seed felt they needed to "justify themselves." I think that played a big part in their NCAA tournament performance that year. Especially in the opening round game vs. that SWAC school.

This season the Zags don't feel they need to "justify" anything. They feel they can beat anyone in the nation. There is a special swagger about this group...but they still have the humility to know that they need to continue to get better.

I think this year's different. If we finish this out, and earn the number one seed, crushing people along the way, I don't think we'll hear about being a Cinderella.

As much as we critique the media's treatment of us, I think this year is clearly different. There's some real respect out there. Ha, even Seth has us ranked number 2 and you know he's dying to put a 7 next to our name but just can't do it with a straight face. Being ranked number 2 to Nova is irksome, but it's hardly disrespect. They're national champs w/ 2 losses in the Big East. I think we're better but that's not "disrespect."

I think the kenpom.com ranking has helped with this. You cannot "fake" a #4 ranking in offensive AND defensive efficiency because Pomeroy factors in SoS.

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 08:14 AM
There is a special swagger about this group...but they still have the humility to know that they need to continue to get better.

IMHO, that "special swagger" was born in Nashville, when the Tennessee center ended an offensive sequence on the floor after trying to go through Karno. Shem stood over him, and shouted something to the effect of, "hit the weight room!" :lmao:

Zagceo
02-07-2017, 08:20 AM
best to stop caring what others say about Zags.....it's a business and people who fall for the bait only help perpetuate it.

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 08:25 AM
best to stop caring what others say about Zags.....it's a business and people who fall for the bait only help perpetuate it.

About the only way the haters are going to shut up is if we win the whole damn thing!

Then again, we'll probably hear, "what took you so long?"

Zagceo
02-07-2017, 08:27 AM
About the only way the haters are going to shut up is if we win the whole damn thing!

Then again, we'll probably hear, "what took you so long?"

and tell me again why I should care about haters?

MickMick
02-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Most of us have moved on past the "disrespect" stigma.

There are various reasons why and here are mine:

The opportunity is there. Punch a ticket and you have a chance. No amount of grief in a comments section can take that chance away. Consistently punch that ticket and the odds of a magical ride continually become more favorable.

There is a segment of fandom that will never be satisfied. GU could go undefeated, pummel every team by double digits on their way to a national title, and there would still be attempts to discredit them. It was a "down year", their bracket was easy, etc., etc.

It simply isn't worth the emotional investment to contend with such people. They will create alternate facts and revise history to suit their agenda anyway.

RenoZag
02-07-2017, 08:46 AM
Good stuff, CDC, thanks!

Indeed. Love the new stuff our posters come up with throughout the season. Greatly appreciated.

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 09:09 AM
and tell me again why I should care about haters?

You shouldn't, but I'm confident you already ignore them. So should I, but these haters amuse me at times, makes for good memes.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder691/500x/75089691.jpg

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder839/250x250/67472839.jpg

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder4/250x250/75349004.jpg

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder449/250x250/75182449.jpg

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 09:29 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder539/500x/75035539.jpg