PDA

View Full Version : How Far Will a Team Fall With Just One More Loss?

TravelinZag
02-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Let's break it down: 21 teams have 4 losses or fewer, all with RPI ratings under 68, the number of bids to the NCAA tournament. With a single loss between now and the dance, how badly will/should they be penalized?

The Zags are, as you know, the undefeated, number one ranked team in the country. If you were a member of the NCAA selection committee, what seed number would give them if they lost a game, even the WCC tournament final? What do you think the actual selection committee would do?

No teams have only one loss. Three teams have two losses (listed in order of RPI): Villanova, Cincinnati and St. Mary's. Same questions as above, what should/will be the cost.

Seven teams have three losses: Baylor, Kansas, Oregon, Arizona, Wisconsin, Maryland & UCLA. Your verdicts?

Eleven teams have four losses: Louisville, North Carolina, Florida State, South Carolina, SMU, USC, UNC-Wilmington, Middle Tennessee, Akron, Wichita State and Belmont. What say you?

Barring a complete collapse, I believe all of these teams all should be in the field. A couple will not be if they do not win their conference tournament.

So, ladies and gents, share your views as to what should/will happen to these teams with just a single additional loss (even in the conference tourney).:confused:

IowaSERE
02-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Our seed will match our loss total. It's very close almost every year.

Zag_Dad
02-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Our seed will match our loss total. It's very close almost every year.

So we'll be a "zero" seed? Is that good? :p

gonzagafan62
02-06-2017, 12:45 PM
1 seed even with a loss

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 01:15 PM
depends on the loss

to anyone other than SM we fall to middle or bottom of top ten

loss to SMC if respectable then we fall 3 or 4 spots

jazzdelmar
02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
depends on the loss

to anyone other than SM we fall to middle or bottom of top ten

loss to SMC if respectable then we fall 3 or 4 spots

What he said.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 01:17 PM
What he said.

timeout
hold the press
stop the clock
look out for lightening strikes

jazz and I agree...............I think I will go to church and thank the good lord we found common ground:bishop_smiley:

CDC84
02-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Mentioned this in another thread. Norlander at CBS and Decourcy at TSN feel GU is a lock for a one seed even if they lose a game and that it's still possible for them to get a one if they lose two games.....but they will need help if they lose 2. Norlander cannot imagine any scenario of GU getting worse than a 2 seed because it would involve the team almost falling apart, and the team is too good to do that.

TravelinZag
02-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Can hardly believe, Hoop and Jazz, that you are in agreement. Good enough for me. I agree, 3-4 poll positions and one seed line. I will be very disappointed if one of these teams from smaller conferences loses their conference tourney & their dance bid because the committee (perhaps with justification) decides the conference does not deserve multiple bids. In the past, teams with terrible records, even losing records have made the dance. This is why I oppose the automatic bid being awarded to the conference tournament winner. An entire season should not be discarded in favor of a 3-game hot or lucky streak.

However, that argument is overruled by the supposedly most important consideration: MONEY!

Zagger
02-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Mentioned this in another thread. Norlander at CBS and Decourcy at TSN feel GU is a lock for a one seed even if they lose a game and that it's still possible for them to get a one if they lose two games.....but they will need help if they lose 2. Norlander cannot imagine any scenario of GU getting worse than a 2 seed because it would involve the team almost falling apart, and the team is too good to do that.

:agreed:

thespywhozaggedme
02-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Let's break it down: 21 teams have 4 losses or fewer, all with RPI ratings under 68, the number of bids to the NCAA tournament. With a single loss between now and the dance, how badly will/should they be penalized?

The Zags are, as you know, the undefeated, number one ranked team in the country. If you were a member of the NCAA selection committee, what seed number would give them if they lost a game, even the WCC tournament final? What do you think the actual selection committee would do?

No teams have only one loss. Three teams have two losses (listed in order of RPI): Villanova, Cincinnati and St. Mary's. Same questions as above, what should/will be the cost.

Seven teams have three losses: Baylor, Kansas, Oregon, Arizona, Wisconsin, Maryland & UCLA. Your verdicts?

Eleven teams have four losses: Louisville, North Carolina, Florida State, South Carolina, SMU, USC, UNC-Wilmington, Middle Tennessee, Akron, Wichita State and Belmont. What say you?

Barring a complete collapse, I believe all of these teams all should be in the field. A couple will not be if they do not win their conference tournament.

So, ladies and gents, share your views as to what should/will happen to these teams with just a single additional loss (even in the conference tourney).:confused:

New Mexico State only has two losses as well.

Zags11
02-06-2017, 05:17 PM
I think we can "afford" a loss but only one.

gonzagafan62
02-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Can hardly believe, Hoop and Jazz, that you are in agreement. Good enough for me. I agree, 3-4 poll positions and one seed line. I will be very disappointed if one of these teams from smaller conferences loses their conference tourney & their dance bid because the committee (perhaps with justification) decides the conference does not deserve multiple bids. In the past, teams with terrible records, even losing records have made the dance. This is why I oppose the automatic bid being awarded to the conference tournament winner. An entire season should not be discarded in favor of a 3-game hot or lucky streak.

However, that argument is overruled by the supposedly most important consideration: MONEY!

So everything should be like the premier league? NFL playoffs shouldn't exist either. 6 seed can still win super bowl!

Injuries are part of the game. The conference tournaments should stay. They crown a champion.... the team that is crowned champion usually has more clutchness and more will too win. And those tournament winners, knock off the big boys too. I love it. Keeps the dream of a national championship alive unless you're an Ivy League team....

Malastein
02-06-2017, 06:13 PM
I'd rather stay optimistic and think they won't lose until the Final Four, and hopefully not even then. They'll still be too 10 if they lose twice more. Odds of that happening before the tournament are pretty low.

DixieZag
02-06-2017, 07:32 PM
I used to not think it mattered, or even hoped to lose at SMC to shed the undefeated label, but now think they've embraced it. Given that, I hope we're undefeated b/c I want that number one seed for the tournament in order to stay out west. One has to believe that one of the following: Oregon, UCLA or Arizona is going on a run soon. If Oregon beats UCLA for example, and then there'll be a lot of pressure to put them at one seed in the west and we get shipped out (assuming one loss) as a one seed.

willandi
02-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Lunardi has the ACC with 10 teams in. # of those are 5-5 in conference. I doubt that the OCC for those 3 was a vigorous, anybody anywhere type of OCC.

It seems that if you are P5, a lot more latitude is given because the conference opponents have to be better. After all, they are in a power conference, statistics be da**ed!

MontanaCoyote
02-06-2017, 08:32 PM
What he said.

And what he said.