PDA

View Full Version : Melson's strange 1st half stat line

Section 116
02-05-2017, 12:45 PM
From the Slipper Still Fits: Silas Melson had one of the strangest first half lines you’ll ever see. He played 18 minutes in the first half without recording a single statistic.

Link: 10 Observations from the SCU game: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/2/5/14514626/10-observations-from-the-santa-clara-gonzaga-game

By the way, the picture in the link shows many of the Zags showing off their "dance moves" during the game. I don't recall seeing anything quite like that in the past at the MAC! The gal recording the moves with her phone needs to post that here, but I suspect she is not aware of this site. It really was enjoyable and the fact NGW seemed to be enjoying himself so much makes me think his injury is not long term, nor serious.

cggonzaga
02-05-2017, 12:50 PM
From the Slipper Still Fits: Silas Melson had one of the strangest first half lines you’ll ever see. He played 18 minutes in the first half without recording a single statistic.

Link: 10 Observations from the SCU game: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/2/5/14514626/10-observations-from-the-santa-clara-gonzaga-game

By the way, the picture in the link shows many of the Zags showing off their "dance moves" during the game. I don't recall seeing anything quite like that in the past at the MAC! The gal recording the moves with her phone needs to post that here, but I suspect she is not aware of this site. It really was enjoyable and the fact NGW seemed to be enjoying himself so much makes me think his injury is not long term, nor serious.

As a big Melson supporter I was disappointed in his first half. With Goss being out I thought Melson would play more aggressively. He did defend brownridge well but offensively he was non-existent. 2nd half was a little better but I expect more out of him.

seacatfan
02-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Maybe he's just really used to his role coming off the bench and providing energy. Being out there from the opening tip may have thrown off his mojo.

zag67
02-05-2017, 01:02 PM
I just rewatched the game. He might not have had any stats, but he was hustling all over the court on defense. Between him and Alberts, they held Brownridge down. He made one great trhee with Alberts in his face. I thought that watching this showed me again stats do not always tell the whole story.

Zagger
02-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Maybe he's just really used to his role coming off the bench and providing energy. Being out there from the opening tip may have thrown off his mojo.
I was thinking that during the game ... home game, #1 in USA and wondered why he was deferring to pass the ball around. He looked open for a 3 on more than one occasion. But, I'm finding it hard to say much negative when it's a team effort that got the Zags to #1 and they also won by 35 points. Melson has been an integral part in where the Zags are. Just does seem odd he wasn't more aggressive in the 1st half.

VaBeachZAG
02-05-2017, 01:12 PM
I just rewatched the game. He might not have had any stats, but he was hustling all over the court on defense. Between him and Alberts, they held Brownridge down. He made one great trhee with Alberts in his face. I thought that watching this showed me again stats do not always tell the whole story.

Melson gets my vote for player of the game. I watched him frustrate the you know what out of Brownridge. Time and again Brownridge would try to rub him off running by screen after screen but Melson immediately recovered and was in his face. Most of the time when Brownridge did get enough space to receive the ball, Melson was right there ready to challenge any shot attempt. I know others also had moments covering Brownridge, but his subpar shooting performance (for Brownridge) is due in large part to Melson's D. Melson's lack of scoring was obviously, in my view, due to the great amount on energy being expended blanketing Brownridge.

Mantua
02-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Silas played defense beautifully last night. I got caught up in watching it and had to rewind some plays. Alberts did a pretty good job on d during his minutes. I would have liked to see the 11 points made off of turnovers reflected in the free throw percentage. We can't afford to lose 10 points in free throws.

Worthington
02-05-2017, 02:15 PM
This is a sign of huge maturity in his game. In seasons past, Silas would not have been content seeing the floor that much without getting a few shots up. It's been great watching him buy into the system completely this season.

Section 116
02-05-2017, 02:36 PM
I also think Silas played very well last evening as he has most all season. I just found it rather unusual, as did the Slipper Still Fits author, none of Melson's 18 first half minutes showed in the stat line!

zag67
02-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Also, when players start the ball moving, they might not get the assist, but they are the person that helped get the points. that happens a lot this year

TexasZagFan
02-05-2017, 02:57 PM
This is a sign of huge maturity in his game. In seasons past, Silas would not have been content seeing the floor that much without getting a few shots up. It's been great watching him buy into the system completely this season.

Silas forced nothing last night, everything was in the flow of the game. He may have been silent in stats, but contributed as much to the final score as the rest of his teammates.

CoastalFan
02-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Silas played defense beautifully last night. I got caught up in watching it and had to rewind some plays. Alberts did a pretty good job on d during his minutes. I would have liked to see the 11 points made off of turnovers reflected in the free throw percentage. We can't afford to lose 10 points in free throws.

I did a quick review of the first half for Brownridge. It appears he was 2-4 (3pt), 2-3 FT (fouled by JW3) and Brownridge stole the ball for a layup. As said by others, Melson's state line was the containment of Brownridge. We all know Brownridge can light it up. He did not. Well done, Silas!