PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the St Mary's game

Reborn
02-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I can't wait any longer to say something about this game with St Mary's. This is not the prediction thread.

Of course it's the biggest game of the year, so far. We handled them at home, and I suspect they intend to do the same thing to us Saturday. ESPN will be there to host GAMEDAY. That's so cool. This should be a great game. That's why ESPN GAME DAY will be there. St Mary's would like to share first place in conference with us, but it just isn't going to happen.

Gonzaga's defense is just too good, and as we say, defense travels. There is no team in the WCC that even comes close to playing the kind of defense Gonzaga plays; so there just isn't any way for St Mary's to prepare for the kind of pressure we will put on them. There is a second reason that the Zags will win, and it's because our bench is much better. MUCH BETTER!!!

St. Mary's certainly has a very good team. Maybe their best ever. And I know they slaughtered San Diego last night. However, I must tell you that they slaughtered Portland just before they played us the last time.

Of course I don't like St Mary's, nor Randy Bentit. It's time for maybe our best team ever to beat maybe their best team ever.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
02-05-2017, 11:47 AM
IMO, the sight lines for SMC are far better than a newer, larger arena such as the Marriott. I expect Jordan to have a great game in Moraga. SMC may shoot their normal percentage from 3 point, but we will limit their attempts.

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Beat LMU

seacatfan
02-05-2017, 12:50 PM
The GU coaching staff/players can worry about LMU. I think it's okay for the fans to look ahead to the next game after that.

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 12:54 PM
The GU coaching staff/players can worry about LMU. I think it's okay for the fans to look ahead to the next game after that.

Well, if the Zags cough up a hairball, we'll know who to blame. . .

:rolleyes:

seacatfan
02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Well, if the Zags cough up a hairball, we'll know who to blame. . .

:rolleyes:

Oh man, Zag Nation would hunt me down and kill me if I somehow cause them to lose to LMU based on a post on a message board.

TheZagPhish
02-05-2017, 01:02 PM
I think that SMC has the heart, the will and a white hot burning desire to win this game.

They have GameDay and a great record.

I just don't know that the Gaels have the personnel, the array of skills or the grit to overcome these Zags - who are as deeply motivated, but also possess an arsenal like no others.

I think it will be a battle and should display some pretty basketball. I believe the Zags take the contest and start to be taken more seriously.

Okay, scratch that last bit. Got a little carried away.

kyle dixon
02-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Two great teams. Rayon is a senior leader and Landale is a load. In the first game, Landale went to the bench with 2 quick fouls. I hope this happens again. Herman son scares me. He can shoot. This is going to be a battle.

Reborn
02-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Oh man, Zag Nation would hunt me down and kill me if I somehow cause them to lose to LMU based on a post on a message board.

it wouldn't be your fault. It would be mine. But I'M NOT WORRIED at all. I feel that the St Mary's game is one of the Zags All Time Biggest Games. I always love this game with them every year, but because of what is happening before our very eyes this year there is a need, in some of us, to talk about this game. This is NOT an ordinary year fans. We're in the midst of something special. Don't worry about jinxing them. Fans all across AMERICA HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO THAT FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS. and IT'S BACK FIRING. You can not jinx this team. They are too good. Am I saying they are the best team in America? YES!!! i may be wrong, but I may be right.

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
02-05-2017, 01:55 PM
We are not losing to LMU.

Again, is Anthony Ireland back in uniform? If not I'm not worried

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Beat LMU

Yes, because as we all know what we posters post on a message board has a direct correlation to what goes on the basketball court.

TexasZagFan
02-05-2017, 02:29 PM
it wouldn't be your fault. It would be mine. But I'M NOT WORRIED at all. I feel that the St Mary's game is one of the Zags All Time Biggest Games. I always love this game with them every year, but because of what is happening before our very eyes this year there is a need, in some of us, to talk about this game. This is NOT an ordinary year fans. We're in the midst of something special. Don't worry about jinxing them. Fans all across AMERICA HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO THAT FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS. and IT'S BACK FIRING. You can not jinx this team. They are too good. Am I saying they are the best team in America? YES!!! i may be wrong, but I may be right.

Go Zags!!!

No fears, Bornie...Atlas ain't gonna shrug at LMU! lol

Ezag
02-05-2017, 02:42 PM
GU will not lose. Enough People

maynard g krebs
02-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Rayon is a senior leader .

I heard that when Rayon shoots, he hits nothing but nylon.

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 02:47 PM
The cover of Sports Illustrated will likely feature the Super Bowl champs, so there's one less jinx to worry about. . .

DixieZag
02-05-2017, 02:55 PM
I like the fact that it seems like the guys still feel a bit disrespected and want to win this one to put the lid on the entire thing.

Plus, rather than feel pressure with the whole undefeated thing, it seems to be a positive thing, like it's part of their identity right now.

I like our odds, a lot.

Reborn
02-05-2017, 03:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the odds are.

ZagNative
02-05-2017, 03:19 PM
We are not losing to LMU.

Again, is Anthony Ireland back in uniform? If not I'm not worriedMade me laugh. He was just such a great player!

jaydee77
02-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Take a look at the minutes per game averaged by St Mary's key players. At some point all the minutes will take a toll. When Few had to play Pangos and Bell a ton of minutes and they were really worn down at the tail end of the season. The Gaels guards aren't that quick to begin with. Londale can't play forty minutes. Assuming Nigel is good to go, this is a bad match up for a good St Mary's team. Can't match Zag athleticism or depth.

Reborn
02-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Honestly, I don't think they need outside factors to motivate themselves. THEY MOTIVATE EACH OTHER. in every game they have found a way to win. WE have great coaches and great guards who can deliver the passes. The longer I THINK ABOUT THIS GAME THE MORE i JUST DON'T SEE HOW THEY CAN DEFEND THEIR BASKET AGAINST US. The Zags just have so many options.

OntZags
02-05-2017, 03:28 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the odds are.

KenPom has Gonzaga 68 St Mary's 66. Vegas lines are usually fairly close.

Reborn
02-05-2017, 03:32 PM

thanks

U Zig, I Zag
02-05-2017, 03:46 PM

;)

DixieZag
02-05-2017, 04:04 PM

I just looked it up and there is no line yet, I don't know if they let the weekend sort itself out first and make the lines early in the week, never paid much attention to it.

But, I did find it interesting that Gonzaga is ranked #3 in the country against the spread, right behind that spread juggernaut, U of San Diego at 2 .http://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/oddsshark-ncaab-ats-top-25

Gonzaga bounced back from back-to-back ATS losses, though the closing spreads were -32.5 and -23.5 respectively, by covering in the two following. That brings the Bulldogs to a stellar 13-2 ATS in their past 15 outings.

Zagger
02-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Beat LMU

Yep, the appetizer ;)
I'm looking forward to the LMU game. The Zags are getting better and guys like Alberts are looking solid. I'm anxious to see Tillie with a fully healed up ankle - Nigel too. The LMU game should be a good one and indicate how GU is doing on the road in CA.

Reborn
02-05-2017, 04:49 PM
Yep, the appetizer ;)
I'm looking forward to the LMU game. The Zags are getting better and guys like Alberts are looking solid. I'm anxious to see Tillie with a fully healed up ankle - Nigel too. The LMU game should be a good one and indicate how GU is doing on the road in CA.

MMmmmm I like the appetizer.

Reborn
02-06-2017, 08:32 AM
As I look at Bracketology I can't help thinking that our upcoming game with St Mary's is so crucial. It's apparent that the best route to the Final Four is to secure a #1 seed. If we beat St Mary's I AM CONVINCED THAT WE WILL DO JUST THAT.

it's Monday morning, and I'm feeling relaxed and confident. This is going to be a beautiful week. Gonzaga is #1 in the College Power Ranking. St Mary's is 13. The College Power Ranking is my favorite ranking system. #1 and #13 colliding in Moraga on Saturday. Game Day will be there. Wow!! How exciting is this?

Go Zags!!!

former1dog
02-06-2017, 08:36 AM
IMO, the sight lines for SMC are far better than a newer, larger arena such as the Marriott. I expect Jordan to have a great game in Moraga. SMC may shoot their normal percentage from 3 point, but we will limit their attempts.

Few should have the team shooting in the old Kennel this week, where there are walls (not seats) behind the backboards, just like at Saint Mary's.

former1dog
02-06-2017, 08:39 AM

LOL

(I'll tip my waiter)

TexasZagFan
02-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Few should have the team shooting in the old Kennel this week, where there are walls (not seats) behind the backboards, just like at Saint Mary's.

Only on one end is it all wall. Your point is well taken.

https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/sites/default/files/mckeoninterior.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ab/41/40/ab41400dc7b4c455090c37f609f1c860.jpg

former1dog
02-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Tex,

Having been in that gym multiple times, the players really don't have an eye line on the balcony side. It just looks like a wall.

TexasZag
02-06-2017, 09:20 AM
I'll play the role of the devil here (since nobody else seems to want to go down this path), but I'm not all that excited about going into tournament time without a loss. That target on our back will be huge, not to mention the mounting pressure of having to maintain perfection, or go home. A loss to a solid team can be both liberating and a source of renewed motivation.

On the other hand, how sweet it would be to run the table!

TexasZagFan
02-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Tex,

Having been in that gym multiple times, the players really don't have an eye line on the balcony side. It just looks like a wall.

Even for FT's?

former1dog
02-06-2017, 09:23 AM
I'll play the role of the devil here (since nobody else seems to want to go down this path), but I'm not all that excited about going into tournament time without a loss. That target on our back will be huge, not to mention the mounting pressure of having to maintain perfection, or go home. A loss to a solid team can be both liberating and a source of renewed motivation.

I've seen the "need a loss" theory as valid for some teams in the past. It was obvious those teams were holding on for dear life and squeaking out wins.

I haven't seen evidence of that "need a loss" for the Zags. They seem to me to still be a team on the rise and seem to have great focus and great effort.

TexasZagFan
02-06-2017, 09:23 AM

I'll withhold my judgment until after SMC. IMO, it behooves us to get that #1 overall seed.

The team continues to improve and gel. I don't see how a loss hastens that process.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 09:28 AM

I would say that is a position that embraces mediocracy versus a desire to clearly be the best

TexasZagFan
02-06-2017, 09:32 AM
I would say that is a position that embraces meritocracy versus a desire to clearly be the best

Our guys have heard enough from the haters already. They bring a chip on their shoulder to every game.

Reborn
02-06-2017, 09:42 AM
I really don't see any evidence that the Zags are feeling any pressure. I see just the opposite. The Zags seem to be goal oriented and are focussed on winning their Conference Championship. The best way to do that is to win Saturday. I'm sure our boys don't want a tie.

TexasZag
02-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Our guys have heard enough from the haters already. They bring a chip on their shoulder to every game.

I'm hardly a hater. Quite the contrary, which is why I tend inflate these kinds of concerns in my own head, to the point that I become foolish enough to express them on this board.

DixieZag
02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
I really don't see any evidence that the Zags are feeling any pressure. I see just the opposite. The Zags seem to be goal oriented and are focussed on winning their Conference Championship. The best way to do that is to win Saturday. I'm sure our boys don't want a tie.

That is what has changed my mind about the "loss" versus "no-loss" debate. Normally, one thinks it's better to have lost at least once, especially when a team looks like it's just going through the motions, being caught from behind in the second half (remember when that used to happen?) and barely getting by, and that they're looking ahead anyway, like it's all drudgery until March.

I don't sense any of that in this team. I think they're truly excited each week, even when the week is just 2 WCC teams. Rather than look pressured, they look like they're loving the ride. Rather than barely beating people, they're increasing leads. They've embraced this as part of their identity, now - and seem to love it.

So, I was wrong about the undefeated, number one, pressure - at least it appears that way. I no longer feel we need to lose a game and dump that pressure prior to the tournament. It won't be an epic disaster one way or another, but I'd just assume now, go into the tourney as the number one overall seed.

gueastcoast
02-06-2017, 10:31 AM
A power 5 team squeaking out wins to remain undefeated might benefit from a loss pre-tourney to remove said monkey from said back. For us, seed line and geographic placement are more important given all the things noted in this thread, i.e., continued national doubt/disrespect, team still rising/gelling, etc. etc., which work to keep us sharp and focused.

GoZag
02-06-2017, 11:59 AM
I've seen the "need a loss" theory as valid for some teams in the past. It was obvious those teams were holding on for dear life and squeaking out wins.

I haven't seen evidence of that "need a loss" for the Zags. They seem to me to still be a team on the rise and seem to have great focus and great effort.

I could not agree more. Usually a "need a loss" theory is because the team believes they are better than what they actually are. I don't see that here. I see a team that is not satisfied with how they are playing and are working hard to improve. I have been very impressed with their defense.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Bump

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Beat LMU

This

RenoZag
02-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Refs will keep it close, our bigs will encounter foul trouble. . .the spirit of Dave Libbey will haunt McKeon. . .Joe Rahon will channel his inner Mickey McConnell, Landale will be Samhan 2.0., and Hermanson will arm bar his way to breathless comparisons to Dellavedova. . .

In the interim, beat the Lions

Zagceo
02-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Zags are bigger better stronger and deeper.......and will prove it.

Refs can try and pull a Tenn job on Zags ...won't work.

Zag365
02-08-2017, 09:03 PM
I really don't see any evidence that the Zags are feeling any pressure. I see just the opposite. The Zags seem to be goal oriented and are focused on winning their Conference Championship. The best way to do that is to win Saturday. I'm sure our boys don't want a tie.

I agree completely. This team doesn't seem to be bothered by being #1 and isn't showing signs of playing not to lose (if that were the case, I'd agree an "L" might be good medicine). They are motivated by the streak. Effectively, they are playing against themselves. They are learning as much or more by continuing to win than whatever lesson a loss would teach. Builds confidence, gets more developmental playing time for players 8, 9, and 10, and simulates the pressure in the tourney where you have to come ready to win every game or you don't advance.

Having come this far, I'd love to see them go undefeated. It is a rare achievement and they deserve the recognition if it happens. It is also good recognition for the program and one more way of demonstrating the remarkable consistency of the MBB program under Coach Few's tenure.

Given how the journey through the tourney is never certain, I hope this team takes every prize within their grasp along the way because you never know when you might get ambushed.

Reborn
02-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I agree completely. This team doesn't seem to be bothered by being #1 and isn't showing signs of playing not to lose (if that were the case, I'd agree an "L" might be good medicine). They are motivated by the streak. Effectively, they are playing against themselves. They are learning as much or more by continuing to win than whatever lesson a loss would teach. Builds confidence, gets more developmental playing time for players 8, 9, and 10, and simulates the pressure in the tourney where you have to come ready to win every game or you don't advance.

Having come this far, I'd love to see them go undefeated. It is a rare achievement and they deserve the recognition if it happens. It is also good recognition for the program and one more way of demonstrating the remarkable consistency of the MBB program under Coach Few's tenure.

Given how the journey through the tourney is never certain, I hope this team takes every prize within their grasp along the way because you never know when you might get ambushed.

i love this post. Heart felt. Best post I'VE read about our team. Thanks. A lot. This belings in the Hall if fame. I hope team members read this.