PDA

View Full Version : Shot clock countdown chant

North Idaho Zag
02-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Never understood this. Away team looking for a shot at the end of the shot clock, the fans (read: student section) counts down 5...4...3... when there is 8...7...6... on the clock. This makes no sense. You basically are helping a player who may be unaware of the shot clock get a shot off in time, albeit maybe slightly rushed. This is the norm throughout the land.

So Kennel Club, my suggestion is to throw a monkey wrench into this. Flip-flop the approach. When the clock is at 3, start your count at 5. If a player really is unaware of the shot clock, it could quite easily create a shot clock violation. Not only does this make more sense, at least in my devious mind, but considering no one else does this, it might truly catch players off guard.

Zag365
02-05-2017, 11:36 AM
NIZag: I've long had the same thought ever since the countdown chant phenomena took off - why would you want to help the opposing team recognize they are in danger of a shot clock violation?

But, if fans are going to chant, you suggestion makes all the sense in the world.

Zagdawg
02-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Idea is to get the opposing team rushed and throw up a lower percentage shot they would not normally have taken -- sometimes it works other times not so much.

bartruff1
02-05-2017, 12:10 PM
It's not as dumb as the "air ball" chant...who's only purpose is to give morons and children under ten a opportunity to participate ..

UberZagFan
02-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Dumbest chant ever is "overrated." The fans are basically saying your high ranked team couldn't even beat our lousy team. The fans should be chanting underrated about their team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

zagbeliever
02-05-2017, 12:26 PM
I like the Air Ball chant. In fact I participate when there and even if I'm at home and not the game. lol I also like the foul out song. I would like to see the count down chant mess with the opposing team though

North Idaho Zag
02-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Idea is to get the opposing team rushed and throw up a lower percentage shot they would not normally have taken -- sometimes it works other times not so much.

As stated in the OP, I get what it's supposed to do, but what is really being accomplished is it's giving the opponent an advantage in getting the shot off in time.

As for the air ball chant, I have no problem with that especially when it's followed up the next time the player touches the ball. It may get some players to think too much on their next shot. Besides, anything (tasteful) that gets more people involved in the game the better. The Kennel Club may be great, but the rest of the "fans"..... we've all seen the results when the students aren't there.

zagbeliever
02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Dumbest chant ever is "overrated." The fans are basically saying your high ranked team couldn't even beat our lousy team. The fans should be chanting underrated about their team.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

In Vegas the year we were number one an opposing fan group was chanting over rated and I glanced over. One of the kids smiled at me and held up two fingers for number two. I thought that was very cute and it made me laugh. It was all in good fun whereas it wouldn't be with the BYU fans. (IMO)

North Idaho Zag
02-05-2017, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=UberZagFan;1282256]Dumbest chant ever is "overrated." The fans are basically saying your high ranked team couldn't even beat our lousy team. The fans should be chanting underrated about their team.]

Totally agree with this, unless of course your team is lousy.

scott257
02-05-2017, 01:57 PM
It's not as dumb as the "air ball" chant...who's only purpose is to give morons and children under ten a opportunity to participate ..

"Morons" is a bit strong, but I certainly am not a fan of that chant. It may have been fun 10 or 20 years ago but it seems like time to come up with something new.

jpn17
02-05-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm not a fan either. I understand the thinking behind it, but Gonzaga plays such tenacious defense that they have forced a ton of shot clock violations this year where the opponent had no idea that the shot clock was close to running out, so I don't think it's necessary.

SWZag
02-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Most chants are to mentally rattle an opponent. Some players do get rattled and sometimes that's enough to take them off their game. It does happen and can be quite effective. Not always. Sometimes.

why do people get loud during free throws? Or any other time during the game (other than for their own team)? To rattle the opponent players. A yell of noise or a coordinated chant are for the same reason and have the same outcomes.

Ekrub
02-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Quo

Ekrub
02-05-2017, 07:34 PM
"Morons" is a bit strong, but I certainly am not a fan of that chant. It may have been fun 10 or 20 years ago but it seems like time to come up with something new.

The kennel club is run by the university. The Era of original chants is over. KC is limited to a few vanilla chants

ProVeeZag
02-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Most chants are to mentally rattle an opponent. Some players do get rattled and sometimes that's enough to take them off their game. It does happen and can be quite effective. Not always. Sometimes.

why do people get loud during free throws? Or any other time during the game (other than for their own team)? To rattle the opponent players. A yell of noise or a coordinated chant are for the same reason and have the same outcomes.

My pet peeve is all the shenanigans behind the backboard that are reaching new heights of insanity during visiting team free throw attempts, such as ASU's "curtain of distraction". While it's charming that the drama majors now have a new outlet for their (ahem) talents, those 3-second skits are barely funny the 1st time you see them, let along the 15th. Am I the only one who is tired of that "schtick"?

ZagsGoZags
02-05-2017, 08:30 PM
When WCC teams have chanted "overrated" , especially in years past, I often thought let's add:
"But we are glad to take the free money when you go dancing."

I like the chant of Yale in the famous Harvard vs. Yale football game 1968. First half Yale chanted
"We are #1, We are #1." nothing wrong with that. Second half they started cheering
"You're #2, You're #2." Poor taste, perhaps, but it makes me laugh to this day."

The chant won't happen when we play Bennett's squad next week, but I'll be in my living room
chanting this at St. Mary's.

Robzagnut
02-05-2017, 10:15 PM
NIZag: I've long had the same thought ever since the countdown chant phenomena took off - why would you want to help the opposing team recognize they are in danger of a shot clock violation?

But, if fans are going to chant, you suggestion makes all the sense in the world.

Makes perfect sense to me. You want them to rush and shoot a bad shot 3-4 seconds before they need to.

3XaZag
02-06-2017, 06:12 AM
The 'air ball' chant always reminds me of my favorite Larsen 'Far Side' cartoon where a cave man stands with his head down in shame as his spear lands between two Wooly Mammoths. Meanwhile, a bunch of cave men at the side of the picture are all yelling "Air Spear....Air Spear"

JeffyJeff
02-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Actually, I had the same concern regarding the "early" counting down of the shot clock, until I noticed later in the game that it was actually flipped as was suggested - the countdown was "8... 7... 6..." when 5 seconds was showing on the shot clock later in the game. If you're going to do the fake countdown, mix it up! Add that little extra bit of confusion to the mix.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-06-2017, 06:45 AM
My pet peeve is all the shenanigans behind the backboard that are reaching new heights of insanity during visiting team free throw attempts, such as ASU's "curtain of distraction". While it's charming that the drama majors now have a new outlet for their (ahem) talents, those 3-second skits are barely funny the 1st time you see them, let along the 15th. Am I the only one who is tired of that "schtick"?

The Curtain of Distraction is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. IMO their AD and basketball program look like crap for allowing it, especially seeing as their team is absolute trash.

I saw some other school trying it (maybe a GU road game EDIT: it was at Santa Clara) and it was even worse because it was over the top of the student section, so the player they were trying to distract could easily tune it out. Just made the people involved look like idiots even more than ASU. Really, is this what these schools need to do to get people interested? Just cut your basketball program if you're that desperate...

My least favorite crowd thing in NCAA ball right now is the "RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT..... SIT DOWN!!!" chant when a player fouls out. It's stupid on every single level and I don't know why anyone would participate in it. Makes an entire arena look like clowns when the player doesn't smoothly walk to the bench and sit down in perfect rhythm. I've seen the player just stop while the entire arena hangs on his every move, obsessed with him. Besides, who are you telling to sit down? You're a nobody and you've been sitting down all game, lol.

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Still think the best chant ever was when I was haunting the original Kennel. I want to say it was Santa Clara was in town (can't be 100%... to many brain cells purged since those days) and the son of the coach was one of their players. Every single time he touched the ball, the KClub would chant Daaaaaaddy! Daaaaaaaady!... stop as soon as he passsed it... when he got the ball again, started it up again. By the half he was noticeably rattled and played sparingly the rest of the way out.

Did some research... Was Pepperdine. Harrick's son.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 07:11 AM

as I have gotten older I have changed my position. College basketball is about the college kids not about us old men/woman who enjoy the game.....for me it is let them be college age kids and as long as they are not hurting anyone have at it...................

BayAreaZagFan
02-06-2017, 08:01 AM
as I have gotten older I have changed my position. College basketball is about the college kids not about us old men/woman who enjoy the game.....for me it is let them be college age kids and as long as they are not hurting anyone have at it...................

I kind of agree with this, but at the same time also wish they could be more clever or original. And while I get that the chants that are directed at individual players are designed to get them off their game, some of them can be pretty mean-spirited - it is still just a game, after all.

I did get a kick out of the Santa Clara students chanting, "We want manbun! We want manbun!" and how they exploded into cheer when Rem got into the game. He even played along and took a little bow to them, which they thoroughly enjoyed.

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2017, 08:36 AM
I kind of agree with this, but at the same time also wish they could be more clever or original. And while I get that the chants that are directed at individual players are designed to get them off their game, some of them can be pretty mean-spirited - it is still just a game, after all.

I've seen some who get creative... change it up throughout the game.

zagbeliever
02-06-2017, 09:05 AM

I am be a moron but I am also one of those few standing and cheering when the students are gone.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 09:35 AM

I did get a kick out of the Santa Clara students chanting, "We want manbun! We want manbun!" and how they exploded into cheer when Rem got into the game. He even played along and took a little bow to them, which they thoroughly enjoyed.

I always enjoy originality

bartruff1
02-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Mean spirited cheering is the same thing as bullying...IMHO of course....

Hoopaholic
02-06-2017, 11:34 AM
good natured teasing is just that.....it only becomes bullying when there becomes a power imbalance of which I submit to you that student cheering section has no power over the players and I submit bullying is designed to hurt a person versus the good natured ribbing.................wow we have become politically sensitive in todays world IMO

MileHigh
02-06-2017, 12:41 PM
at BYU one of the fans under the Zags bucket whipped out a poster size photo of shooters girlfriend in a bikini right as he started to shoot...pretty funny. Social media gives fans all kinds off access to players personal lives.

amaronizag
02-06-2017, 12:41 PM
I'm with Bart on of some of this "good natured cheering" stuff. I think some of it crosses the line. For example, when the opposing players are introduced at the Kennel, the students turn their backs....NO CLASS. Face the opposing team, listen to the names called, and CHEER for them. I won't bother listing other examples, everyone has their opinion of where the line is crossed. I'm from the old school where a player NEVER celebrated after scoring on an opponent. We were benched for that. OK to get pumped up to get the team psyched up, but never an in-your-face when you beat someone. Not a mater of PC, but a matter of class, respect, and sportsmanship.

amaronizag
02-06-2017, 12:44 PM
Let's be clear, I'm in favor of the bikini stuff. There should be more of that, (as long as the photos are flattering and not meant to be demeaning).

JAGzag
02-06-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm with Bart on of some of this "good natured cheering" stuff. I think some of it crosses the line. For example, when the opposing players are introduced at the Kennel, the students turn their backs....NO CLASS. Face the opposing team, listen to the names called, and CHEER for them. I won't bother listing other examples, everyone has their opinion of where the line is crossed. I'm from the old school where a player NEVER celebrated after scoring on an opponent. We were benched for that. OK to get pumped up to get the team psyched up, but never an in-your-face when you beat someone. Not a mater of PC, but a matter of class, respect, and sportsmanship.

Wait, you think it's classless when we DON'T cheer when the opposing team is introduced? What is this, Hoosiers? Part of what makes the Kennel so tough is getting in people's heads and making them nervous to play here.

bartruff1
02-06-2017, 12:49 PM
good natured teasing is just that.....it only becomes bullying when there becomes a power imbalance of which I submit to you that student cheering section has no power over the players and I submit bullying is designed to hurt a person versus the good natured ribbing.................wow we have become politically sensitive in todays world IMO

No doubt we have different values....I think nearly all teasing is bullying

gonzagafan62
02-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Love airball chant.

Don't like overrated chant

All Weather Fan
02-06-2017, 01:08 PM
No participation medals please ! Protect the Kennel. Cheer for the opposing players ? I think not !

bballbeachbum
02-06-2017, 03:33 PM

:lmao: didn't know about that

Markburn1
02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
"Manbun" was funny. And harmless. "DUI" chant at Perkins throughout the game, not so much.

ProVeeZag
02-06-2017, 04:56 PM
The Curtain of Distraction is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. IMO their AD and basketball program look like crap for allowing it, especially seeing as their team is absolute trash.

I guess it's just you and me that think so. Maybe trying to boost attendance by getting the "theatre geeks" involved!

Coach Crazy
02-06-2017, 05:23 PM
It's classless to turn your back to an opposing team as players are being announced? Huh. Interesting.

And the Curtain of Distraction is a great idea. If I was on staff, I'd want to meet with those that were doing it and go over different subject matter for each opposing player, if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zagbeliever
02-06-2017, 06:04 PM
:lmao: didn't know about that

That was cute. I read they said they would have stormed the court had he scored. lol

BayAreaZagFan
02-06-2017, 06:06 PM
"Manbun" was funny. And harmless. "DUI" chant at Perkins throughout the game, not so much.

Agreed. The Arizona fans in LA were doing that as well. Not funny, not clever.

xStartTodayx
02-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Anyone remember the "We Try Harder" chant against the Dons in the old Kennel and why we chanted it?

JAGzag
02-07-2017, 03:41 AM

Guess I'm alone on this but this doesn't bother me. Race, sexual orientation, etc chants I get they have no place. But the kid makes a criminal mistake and you expect the opposing fans to NOT try to get in his head? I think it's fair game, he did it to himself. Now if it was something like domestic violence, I would understand not exploiting that scenario but a DUI?

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 05:04 AM

I wonder if the Zona fans had a problem with UCLA fans chanting "P-E-D" when Trier was at the foul line?

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Anyone remember the "We Try Harder" chant against the Dons in the old Kennel and why we chanted it?

When was this?

xStartTodayx
02-07-2017, 06:59 PM
2001-02 'ish.

rennis
02-07-2017, 08:32 PM

Yup, but I can't remember why. Remember "you're not Kobe" to his cousin at Pepperdine? And SATs to a couple of players who may have struggled with college entrance exams... I forget so many but there were a lot of clever chants in that era

I would say the best/worst from that era had to be the 99 game GU played at EWU and a lot of the KC made the drive over. There were some good ones that I can't even repeat but chanting "if you're stupid and you know it go to State" to their student section while in their house may have upset a few folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gonzagafan62
02-07-2017, 08:34 PM
I love that the Santa Clara kids said "We want manbun" lol

xStartTodayx
02-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Ha! I miss the Pepperdine rivalry.

Back then the Dons wore warm ups that said "WE TRY HARD" on them - those didn't last long after the Kennel road trip.

[QUOTE=rennis;1283225]Yup, but I can't remember why. Remember "you're not Kobe" to his cousin at Pepperdine? And SATs to a couple of players who may have struggled with college entrance exams... I forget so many but there were a lot of clever chants in that era

sittingon50
02-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Wow. 3 pages of this. Who woulda' thunk?