PDA

View Full Version : Defense Travels

former1dog
02-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Although I would be shocked if NWG isn't back for the SMC game, I wouldn't be shocked if we beat them without him. And by beat, I mean by double digits.

We have an elite defensive team and enough scoring to beat just about any team IMHO. Caveat being if they are playing to their capabilities and not throttled by nerves like I think the team was against BYU.

Gonzdb8
02-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Although I would be shocked if NWG isn't back for the SMC game, I wouldn't be shocked if we beat them without him. And by beat, I mean by double digits.

We have an elite defensive team and enough scoring to beat just about any team IMHO. Caveat being if they are playing to their capabilities and not throttled by nerves like I think the team was against BYU.

"throttled with nerves". really? that was not my take away from that game. byu played great for about 12 minutes but i thought we maintained our composure and took care of business. seems a little hyperbolic.

former1dog
02-05-2017, 09:36 AM
"throttled with nerves". really? that was not my take away from that game. byu played great for about 12 minutes but i thought we maintained our composure and took care of business. seems a little hyperbolic.

Yeah, a tad bit of hyperbole, but the team wasn't at its best as evidenced by all the unforced turnovers and an inability to beat that 1-3-1 as a team.

gonzagafan62
02-05-2017, 09:38 AM

I definitely thought there was nerves, especially early. Lot of tentative plays, turnovers and unforced errors. I will say NWG didn't seem too bothered and was clutch. JW3 also played well. But this defense is suffocating. Not many teams can beat us

former1dog
02-05-2017, 10:15 AM
On this same note, Tillie was absolutely fantastic on defense last night. 6' 10" and able to defend quick guards.

Not going to happen this year, but it's clear to me that he could play the three spot and not be a defensive liability.

MontanaCoyote
02-05-2017, 11:03 AM
On this same note, Tillie was absolutely fantastic on defense last night. 6' 10" and able to defend quick guards.

Not going to happen this year, but it's clear to me that he could play the three spot and not be a defensive liability.

I could be dead wrong on this, but watching all those big time upsets yesterday I saw, time and time and time again, guards shooting and making either uncontested 3's or 3's that were barely defended. Those 3's played a huge part in winning close games.

So.......although our perimeter defense is very good, it might not be a bad idea at all (if circumstances demand and allow it)
to have Tillie and/or Collins out there with their arms up defending 3's. It's one thing shooting 3's over a guard that's back 3 feet, quite another with a Tillie or Collins in your face and arms fully extended.

Yeah, how to do that and keep rebounding up to snuff. Don't know. Just thinking out loud.