PDA

View Full Version : Unanimous #1 tomorrow?

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Thread title says it all. What say you?

23dpg
02-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Overwhelming number of fist place votes but not unanimous. Nova had 4 last week and I suspect they'll pick up a few more.

gonzagafan62
02-05-2017, 07:36 AM
No way

gonstu
02-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Unanimous no, but pretty close. Nova will get a few. Was there something like 65 votes in the AP? I'll go with 60.

TexasZagFan
02-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Overwhelming number of fist place votes but not unanimous. Nova had 4 last week and I suspect they'll pick up a few more.

Concur. Graham Couch is a guaranteed vote for Nova. He'll have the Zags as a #3.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder691/500x/75089691.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Couch would never vote for the Zags... BUT... it will be down to two teams getting 1st place votes IMHO.

Reborn
02-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Of course not. That would be even a bigger shock than the shock I fee shock that I felt last night when the Zags won by 35 points without NWG.

hondo
02-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Just this morning Jeff Sagarin has the Zags at number 1. I don't think I have ever seen that before in his rating system.

Mantua
02-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Villanova could possibly lose a game or two. Their conference schedule has some tough opponents in Butler, Creighton and Xavier. Even if they lose, they may receive votes for #1 being the great east coast hope.

If Oregon wins their remaining games and the PAC-12 championships, they could get some #1 votes too.

cggonzaga
02-05-2017, 09:49 AM

I thought about this last night as well spy. If Nova wasn't the defending champs I think we would've been.

Kiddwell
02-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Zags, 'Nova, and Louisville all get #1 votes. Zags, the majority.

:]

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Zags, 'Nova, and Louisville all get #1 votes. Zags, the majority.

:]

Agreed.

I think the AP Poll on Monday will be:

1. Zags
2. Nova
3. Louisville
4. Oregon
5, UCLA
6. Kansas
7. UNC

gonzagafan62
02-05-2017, 10:03 AM
I think I'm more curious to see where SMC, Florida , Arizona, and Iowa state end up

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2017, 10:32 AM
We're blowing everybody out and it's not even close and we haven't lost a game the next closest teams have lost two games. How is there any justification for us not being unanimous number one?

gonzagafan62
02-05-2017, 11:01 AM
We're blowing everybody out and it's not even close and we haven't lost a game the next closest teams have lost two games. How is there any justification for us not being unanimous number one?

There's not. But they won't do it. I'd be more willing to say unanimous with Villanova losing

23dpg
02-05-2017, 11:20 AM

The question is not, "should we be?" it's, "will we be?" What say you?

ZagsObserver
02-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Nope. In fact, it could be closer than you think. Many of the anti GU votes were split between Baylor, Kansas, and Nova last week. This Monday I imagine most of those will be consolidated into votes for Nova. GU will still likely be number 1, though.

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 11:36 AM

You asked a rhetorical question, inviting responses. What you wrote comes off like harsh criticism of those responses. I don't think that's your intent. I think you're frustrated that the pollsters are hosing the Zags.

Do I have it right ?

TexasZagFan
02-05-2017, 11:52 AM

Easy...our victories are tainted. lol

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2017, 12:00 PM
You asked a rhetorical question, inviting responses. What you wrote comes off like harsh criticism of those responses. I don't think that's your intent. I think you're frustrated that the pollsters are hosing the Zags.

Do I have it right ?

No. my response wasn't to the posters on our board but to the polsters in the AP.

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 12:06 PM
No. my response wasn't to the posters on our board but to the polsters in the AP.

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

zagbeliever
02-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Not a chance. West coast bias. There will be votes for Nova

Mantua
02-05-2017, 12:45 PM
I think I'm more curious to see where SMC, Florida , Arizona, and Iowa state end up

Duke won two games and Coach K gave a tearful speech about his return to the press. They should move up...hmmmm....six spots? ten spots? And get a vote or two for number one?

:D

seacatfan
02-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Duke won two games and Coach K gave a tearful speech about his return to the press. They should move up...hmmmm....six spots? ten spots? And get a vote or two for number one?

Yeah everything is set up perfectly for Duke to make a huge, undeserving jump in the polls. Especially w/ round 1 of Duke-UNC coming up this week.

thespywhozaggedme
02-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Sure, no problem. My bad for not being clear.

seacatfan
02-05-2017, 01:18 PM
New Mexico St. is on a 20 game winning streak and is 22-2 overall. What will it take for them to enter the top 25?

sittingon50
02-05-2017, 01:34 PM

:lmao:

As to the OP: Nope.

75Zag
02-05-2017, 02:44 PM
#1 tomorrow, but not unanimous, which might actually be fair.
Yesterday could not have gone better for the Bulldogs, although I was sorry to see AZ lose which probably weakens the value of that specific GU victory over AZ, but otherwise a perfect day for the Bulldogs. Do people actually expect Oregon to jump 9 or 10 spots in the AP tomorrow? Not me.
Go Bulldogs - Stay #1 until St. Mary's and then kick St. Mary's to the curb by 30 points on national television. GU might not be the best team in the country in a best of 7 tournament, but in a single elimination tournament like the the NCAA, I give the Bulldogs the advantage.

Go Bulldogs!

seacatfan
02-05-2017, 02:52 PM
I don't know how far they will jump, but Oregon should make a big move. Arizona got a big bump after beating UCLA. Oregon hammered Arizona and almost everyone above them lost. They got punished quite a bit for stumbling against Colorado the week before. It will be interesting to see how far they rise and how much the voters punish Arizona for their lackluster effort yesterday.

maynard g krebs
02-05-2017, 04:00 PM
New Mexico St. is on a 20 game winning streak and is 22-2 overall. What will it take for them to enter the top 25?

Switching conferences midseason? I just looked them up, and their best win is at Arizona State. Next best is probably New Mexico; split with them. WAC is a collection of afterthoughts; makes the bottom of the WCC look strong.

Zagger
02-05-2017, 04:08 PM
I don't think the Zags will get all #1 votes. But, it would not surprise me if they did. They deserve it. Depends on who wishes to be known to be biased in their voting. If GU beats SMC convincingly (and LMU too) and still does not get 100% #1 votes .... then some voters just aren't watching the Zags.
Enough what ifs though. Thursday can't come soon enough. Go Zags, beat LMU!

jpn17
02-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Echoing what others have said, not unanimous as Villanova was already getting some #1 votes in both polls going into this week. They undoubtedly pick up a few more, though I will say that I expect Gonzaga will get the majority of the #1 votes that were going to Kansas and Baylor.

Bogozags
02-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Villanova could possibly lose a game or two. Their conference schedule has some tough opponents in Butler, Creighton and Xavier. Even if they lose, they may receive votes for #1 being the great east coast hope.

If Oregon wins their remaining games and the PAC-12 championships, they could get some #1 votes too.

IMO...I think if Oregon wins out then THEY will be voted #1 in the last regular season poll, regardless if GU wins out

DixieZag
02-05-2017, 04:29 PM
I just posted on the Sacremento/SLC thread that I found out that the number one seed in the whole tournament gets to pick its Pod. That sounds like a good reason to win out.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-no-1-overall-seed-in-the-ncaa-tournament-just-got-a-huge-reward/

One twist coming next season: The No. 1 overall seed will be able to choose the location of its first two games of the tournament. So if that team is Duke, or Kentucky, or Kansas, or whichever school gets put atop the 1-68 seed list, that program will get to pick where it plays its first and second-round games.

"Preferences would be communicated by teams in contention for the overall No. 1 seed far in advance of Selection Sunday in a process to be determined," the NCAA said in a statement.

jpn17
02-05-2017, 04:44 PM
IMO...I think if Oregon wins out then THEY will be voted #1 in the last regular season poll, regardless if GU wins out

I disagree. Gonzaga will only drop out from the top spot if they lose.

gonzagafan62
02-05-2017, 05:31 PM
I disagree. Gonzaga will only drop out from the top spot if they lose.

Agreed. It's not close

RRZagFan
02-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Seth Davis posted his ballot on twitter has Zags 2 , Villanova 1

MDABE80
02-05-2017, 07:41 PM
what a topic....................

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Seth Davis posted his ballot on twitter has Zags 2 , Villanova 1

Seth is the biggest Zag hater out there. He'd criticize the Zags for saving kids uninjured from a burning school bus because they didn't stop the fire before it started.

Zagger
02-06-2017, 02:19 AM
We can vote here: http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/18626251/top-10-teams-country-right-now
Zags are currently #2

Nine teams in the top 10 of the Associated Press men's basketball poll played on Saturday, and six of them lost. According to ESPN Stats & Information, that tied the most losses by top-10 teams in one day in AP poll history.

No. 1 Gonzaga escaped unscathed, easily bumping its record to 24-0 with a 90-55 victory over Santa Clara. No. 2 Baylor was among the losers, falling to Kansas State three days after losing to No. 3 Kansas. But the Jayhawks also fell victim on Saturday, 92-89 to Iowa State in overtime.

Saturday also marked the first day in the history of the AP poll during which two of the top three teams lost at home to unranked opponents.

How would you rearrange the 10 teams slotted at the top of the AP poll after all of Saturday's results?

jpn17
02-06-2017, 03:34 AM
We can vote here: http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/18626251/top-10-teams-country-right-now
Zags are currently #2

Wisconsin #1 :lmao::roll:

jazzdelmar
02-06-2017, 04:36 AM
Seth is the biggest Zag hater out there. He'd criticize the Zags for saving kids uninjured from a burning school bus because they didn't stop the fire before it started.

A whining elite like his daddy.....

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2017, 04:38 AM
Wisconsin #1 :lmao::roll:

And this is why we don't let regular people vote.
:roll: