PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game - SCU - 2. 4. 2017

RenoZag
02-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Zags were resilient tonight, getting contributions from many to make up for the absence of Nigel Williams-Goss. 5 players in double figures.

STATS LINK: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=147560

24 - 0 !

Which player gets your tip o' the cap as tonight's GUnit ??

DixieZag
02-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Perkins directed the whole thing with NWG off.

gu03alum
02-04-2017, 08:03 PM
NWG isn't even an option. I pick him every game.

I guess I will go with Josh Perkins who played great tonight.

seacatfan
02-04-2017, 08:03 PM
A bunch of nice contributors tonight. Went w/ Perkins, Mathews was runner up in my book.

zagbeliever
02-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Perkins really ran the show with finesse!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Mathews got his groove back.

23dpg
02-04-2017, 08:06 PM
1 Perk
1a JM
1b everyone

bballbeachbum
02-04-2017, 08:08 PM
team responded great without NWG, step ups across the board. went with JP

MickMick
02-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Being a part of the system for three years, the upperclassmen has earned his stripes and my respect.

Perkins won me over with this game. The best, and most confident, I have ever seen him play.

jpn17
02-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Had a hard time picking between Collins, Mathews and Perkins, but I went with Mathews just because it was nice to see him get back in a groove on offense. Great game from GU tonight without one of their best players.

Birddog
02-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Very close between Mathews and Perkins. I went with Mathews but it was really a coin flip.

U Zig, I Zag
02-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Good on Jordan for getting going again!!! But it's Josh tonight.

tyra
02-04-2017, 08:14 PM
I went with Matthews because I thought his first half scoring was especially important. I could have gone with Perkins but the other performance I REALLY liked was Killian's! I thought he showed us that he is ALL the way back from the sprain I feared would end his season!

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Mathews

Bogozags
02-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I think this was the best overall game JP has played, while at GU. EIGHT assists, 15pts, 3 boards and great defence. Alberts played well too, which in IMO will get him more PT...maybe even at LMU...

maynard g krebs
02-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Perkins has been greatly underestimated by a segment of this board. The Zags are in great shape at the point if NWG goes pro.

It was interesting that the announcers said the staff consulted him before bringing in NWG, and Perkins said go for it, knowing it would reduce his role but make the team better. Self sacrifice for the greater good.

Mantua
02-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Very close between Mathews and Perkins. I went with Mathews but it was really a coin flip.

I voted Matthews because I thought he was a settling influence when the team started out a little shakier than usual. He had a great stat line and no turnovers.

Perkins was great too. I liked his confidence and enthusiasm as the game progressed.

krozman
02-04-2017, 09:37 PM
we missed 10 FT's again. voted Mathews

ZagaZags
02-04-2017, 09:46 PM
I went with Mathews tonight. With having 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal. He also led the team in scoring, only taking 7 shots. Welcome back JM.

ZagsGoZags
02-04-2017, 09:54 PM
for total impact on whole game, probably should have voted for Shem,
and Collins had a good game with some frosh learning mishaps along the way,
however, had to go with the man who was maestro tonight, Perks

TravelinZag
02-05-2017, 01:57 AM
Perkins! Depth? Coming off a game when only NWG played well, a game when only NWG doesn't play. The team stepped up, and JP led it.

Go Zags! FF or beyond.

jazzdelmar
02-05-2017, 03:25 AM
Collins went 14-9 in only 19 minutes. That's absurd on so many levels.

BorisZag
02-05-2017, 05:29 AM
My vote went to Perkins. The three at the end of the first half with the clock running down and a defender right on him showed his confidence. He knew NWG was out and it was his show to run, and he stepped up.

former1dog
02-05-2017, 05:32 AM

Agreed. He's a fantastic player.

voted Perkins because he was clutch in every capacity. I was especially entertained by the walk off three at the half.

Zagger
02-05-2017, 06:05 AM

I voted for Collins. Took me awhile to vote. Had to think back through the game. I liked how Collins draws fouls and guards the rim. Also liked his 3. Really liked how well Mathews shot last night and Perkins runs the point pretty well. It was also good to see Alberts nail a 3 to give GU the lead for good. Alberts also did some darn nice defense. 5 guys in double figures without Nigel being a 6th is good to see. Teams not all that familiar with the Zags (NCAAs) are going to find this team tough to beat: depth, D and lots of scoring options.

bballbeachbum
02-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Being a part of the system for three years, the upperclassmen has earned his stripes and my respect.

Perkins won me over with this game. The best, and most confident, I have ever seen him play.

positive rep

bartruff1
02-05-2017, 07:42 AM
Perkins was....well Perkins....and controlled the game, but I voted for Mathews cuz he ended any hope of a come back at the start of the second half....

Reborn
02-05-2017, 07:56 AM
I voted for other because every player stepped up last night. THIS WAS TRULY a team victory. Even Alberts deserves to be mentioned. HE has played so much better this year. I thought Collins and Tillie played their best game this year. Perkins and Mathews played exceptionally well and it was great to see them play that way, but I still give it to the team. This is the first time EVER that I have voted for TEAM.

TexasZagFan
02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Don't have a problem with any of the votes I've seen. I went with the oft-maligned JP. He stepped up in a big way last night, wasn't all about stats. Was glad to see Jordan get the monkey off his back.

Zach's game has grown immensely over the past couple of months, physical opponents don't give him as much trouble as they did earlier in the year.

amaronizag
02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Great confidence building game for players that have, at times, taken an unselfish back seat. Great to see others have a chance to contribute significantly, step up, shine, and show their value. I've never doubted that GU is really talented this year, but this team continues to surprise me. The veteran transfers and young recruits are learning the system and coming together with the GU upperclassmen and the team just. keeps. getting. better. There are a lot of good teams out there, dangerous teams, but I'm starting to think GU has a shot at beating the best and I've never had that feeling before. Nine more conference games (including WCC tournament) to hone our skills and improve, then rest up before knocking out 6 more W's and we're in the history books. Amazing skill set this year!!!

NotoriousZ
02-06-2017, 07:06 AM
Perkins has been greatly underestimated by a segment of this board. The Zags are in great shape at the point if NWG goes pro.

It was interesting that the announcers said the staff consulted him before bringing in NWG, and Perkins said go for it, knowing it would reduce his role but make the team better. Self sacrifice for the greater good.
+1

Maybe this puts a stop to the "he's not a point guard" nonsense.

Great win Zags! Voted for Josh.