PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Williams Goss Status ?

Idahozag10
02-04-2017, 05:47 PM
per Jim Meehan twitter @SRJimm

Nigel Williams-Goss's sprained ankle from first half of BYU game is bothering him. He's not in warm-up line with teammates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goshzagit
02-04-2017, 05:54 PM

Nigel Williams-Goss's sprained ankle from first half of BYU game is bothering him. He's not in warm-up line with teammates.

Just ankle?

Long standing foot issues, so hope unrelated

thespywhozaggedme
02-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Pregame guys said he may not play tonight. Uh oh.

Zag_Dad
02-04-2017, 06:01 PM
Not starting? ESPN just said unclear whether he'll play.

tyra
02-04-2017, 06:03 PM
If it is not a bad sprain and they rest him tonight, isn't that a good thing?

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-04-2017, 06:04 PM

Hope NWG sits out tonight and gets healthy for SMC next weekend. Good opportunity for Matthews to play more minutes and get rolling.

Rangerzag
02-04-2017, 06:04 PM
ESPN and Hudson both state Melson will start, not Williams-Goss.

ZagLawGrad
02-04-2017, 06:06 PM
If it is not a bad sprain and they rest him tonight, isn't that a good thing?

You bet it is.

hooter73
02-04-2017, 06:16 PM
rest him. Heck, rest everybody and let Traino, Rem, rui, Jones and Edwards have their way with the Broncos.

CDC84
02-04-2017, 06:45 PM
The game thus far is showing how valuable NWG is to GU's offense. I really, really, really hope he is a quick healer because I doubt if GU can beat SMC next Saturday without him. In fact LMU could give them troubles without NWG. I agree with sitting him for this game, although the final score might make east coast doubters who don't know who NWG is feel as though GU isn't that good.

CDC84
02-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Well the end of the half looked good. We have to remind ourselves that Perkins was GU's point guard last year. By gosh GU needs Nigel back. I hope this was just a precautionary measure.....that Nigel really could have played, but the staff felt that the team could still win this game with ease. especially with it being at K2.

LouisianaZag
02-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Did I hear them casually say he might have a broken bone? Please tell me I heard this wrong.

scott257
02-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Did I hear them casually say he might have a broken bone? Please tell me I heard this wrong.

I never heard that.

YukonJack
02-04-2017, 07:43 PM

Lets keep it real. Im sure its nothing but precautions. This will give him a full week off, and he will be ready to go Thursday.

Pallet
02-04-2017, 07:45 PM
He's fully dressed in uniform on the bench and celebrating by hopping up and down, looks like he could have played.

DixieZag
02-04-2017, 08:19 PM
He didn't look depressed about it or anything either. I'm glad he got the rest.

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 08:32 PM

I didn't hear that. That's something I think we would've seen tweets about

Section 116
02-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Donnie Daniels said on post game radio Nigel told the coaches before the game I don't think I can go tonight. Give someone else a chance. I don't believe it is very serious.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-04-2017, 10:24 PM
I don't believe it is very serious.

Wait...you, 116, don't believe it is very serious, or Donnie Daniels doesn't believe it's very serious?

Hoopaholic
02-04-2017, 10:38 PM
The game thus far is showing how valuable NWG is to GU's offense. I really, really, really hope he is a quick healer because I doubt if GU can beat SMC next Saturday without him. In fact LMU could give them troubles without NWG. I agree with sitting him for this game, although the final score might make east coast doubters who don't know who NWG is feel as though GU isn't that good.
Really?

CDC84
02-04-2017, 10:52 PM
Really?

Well, I was HAPPILY dead wrong about tonight's game!! I have to remind myself at times that Perkins was GU's starting PG last season. They just didn't look very good the first 15 minutes of the game. It changed quickly. Real quickly. SCU just ran out of gas, and Brownridge needed to score 35 for them to really keep it close.

I still stand by what I said about SMC. I don't feel the Zags can beat the Gaels at McKeon without Nigel. It will be the toughest game of the entire season for GU. People need to remember that the Zags are still in a dogfight to win the WCC outright. The Gaels are right on their heals. I also think LMU is the most dangerous team to take lightly in the league. They have some talent and athleticism and a good coach. It's a monster trap game.

If Nigel broke a bone in his foot, he couldn't have played 40 minutes vs. BYU. Tonight was a great opportunity to give the kid a night off. He busted his tail so much in the BYU win. I just hope he's okay for next week.

WallaWallaZag
02-05-2017, 04:45 AM
hope the wcc still gives nwg the player of the week award...he deserves it.

zag67
02-05-2017, 07:05 AM
They might not have looked good offensively. But I have to say their defense was fantastic. Also Alberts did a super job on Brownridge. Then by the middle of the game the rest of the offense came to play. It was like they needed to adjust for no Nigel. I thought Tillie showed he is getting better

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 07:27 AM
I still stand by what I said about SMC. I don't feel the Zags can beat the Gaels at McKeon without Nigel. It will be the toughest game of the entire season for GU. People need to remember that the Zags are still in a dogfight to win the WCC outright. The Gaels are right on their heals. I also think LMU is the most dangerous team to take lightly in the league. They have some talent and athleticism and a good coach. It's a monster trap game.

I don't think anyone would disagree with your view re: NWG being an essential ingredient for a win @ Moraga, CDC. He's our best all-around player, hands down.

In the post-game radio show, Coach Daniels said the Zags were excited about the week ahead but were focused first on LMU. All season long, we have heard staff and players talk about the "one game at a time" work ethic of this edition of the Zags. No reason to think that will change as they prepare for the Lions and there's no evidence that Few and the team will take the Lions lightly.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-05-2017, 08:57 AM
This could be a storyline for the rest of the season. Lingering injury. Hope I'm wrong. GULP. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/04/gonzaga-turns-to-balance-depth-without-williams-go/

Williams-Goss sprained his ankle in the first half against BYU on Thursday. It went largely unnoticed as he poured in 24 second-half points to carry Gonzaga to an 85-75 win at the Marriott Center.

He mentioned his ankle was starting to bug him in a post-game interview and it apparently didn’t respond to treatment, including wearing a protective boot on Friday.

“His ankle was really, really sore,” coach Mark Few said. “It was sore Friday, and then we tried to put him through as much treatment as we could. He worked out again (Saturday) afternoon and it was just really sore. We’re just trying to be safe with it.”

JPtheBeasta
02-05-2017, 09:10 AM
He's fully dressed in uniform on the bench and celebrating by hopping up and down, looks like he could have played.

Good news, for sure, but the real question is: Is he able to use a broom yet?!

ZagsObserver
02-05-2017, 11:26 AM
NWG is the one guy we simply are unlikely to adequately replace if we are going to compete with the big boys in final four.

Section 116
02-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Glorius, "I don't think it's very serious". Daniels did not say that, but he also did not voice any concern about the injury, extent or degree of severity?

CDC84
02-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Well, have faith....it's didn't take that long for Tillie to heal. We were all concerned that he might be out until the WCC tourney.

If I am not mistaken, NWG tweaked his ankle two different times in the BYU game, which is probably why it's all screwed up right now. It's kind of odd that it wouldn't start hurting until after the game, but like when you are sick during a game, sometimes the adrenaline and focus carries you thru.

While I don't think GU could beat SMC next week without Nigel, I wouldn't be shocked if GU did beat them. His absence might cause everyone else's effort to go thru the roof.

75Zag
02-05-2017, 02:52 PM
While I don't think GU could beat SMC next week without Nigel, I wouldn't be shocked if GU did beat them. His absence might cause everyone else's effort to go thru the roof.
I respectfully disagree. While I really, really hope that Nigel will be available for the SMC game, I do not agree that his absence will cause the Bulldogs to have a less than a 50% chance of beating SMC. GU is deep enough to handle SMC without 100% of their starters.

Go Bulldogs!

Zags_Fanatic
02-05-2017, 04:32 PM
I saw NWG downtown today. He looked great, no visible limp whatsoever. So glad he got his rest yesterday, I will be shocked if he isn't playing at full speed by Saturday.

gonstu
02-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Rest him Thursday

Zagger
02-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Rest him Thursday
After he gets 20 :)

Edited to add - Saw the Mark Few show last night. When Greg Heister interviewed Nigel the foot wasn't even mentioned. The interview was sometime after the BYU game - not sure if it was before the Santa Clara game. Few mentioned the ankle saying Nigel hurt it twice during the BYU game and that he gave it a rest for the SantaC game. Few said Tillie was healing fast and hoped for the same for NWG. Few was pretty pleased with how well the Zags did on Saturday without Nigel. Few also said he though Alberts did well, especially on defense. They are looking forward to the LMU game and for ESPN's Game Day at Moraga.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
02-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Bump.

Any news on NWG? Is he practicing like normal?

gonzagafan62
02-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Honestly KP, I think NWG will be fine. Pure speculation however. The one we oughta worry about is karnowski

CDC84
02-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Yeah, PK's thumb injury could just continue and continue all season because it's constantly being aggravated. The bandaging can only do so much to help. Maybe he can just play with one arm until it heals?

MDABE80
02-07-2017, 01:42 AM
WHen it comes to the LMU game, Karno adds little. Collins, Williams Tillie and Edwards ( yes Edwards) or even Rui can anchor things down low. I'd give Karno the best edge to be fine by Saturday. Karno will be critical for the NCAA run. We do have enough scorers and rebounders without the Karno.

MontanaCoyote
02-07-2017, 07:41 AM
WHen it comes to the LMU game, Karno adds little. Collins, Williams Tillie and Edwards ( yes Edwards) or even Rui can anchor things down low. I'd give Karno the best edge to be fine by Saturday. Karno will be critical for the NCAA run. We do have enough scorers and rebounders without the Karno.

No!

Zagceo
02-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Reminder that Nigel is a Psyc Major.

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Reminder that Nigel is a Psyc Major.

All he needs to do between now and the Dance is to binge watch Kung Fu. :lmao:

JPtheBeasta
02-07-2017, 12:48 PM
All he needs to do between now and the Dance is to binge watch Kung Fu. :lmao:

Walking across rice paper without ripping it while also in a CAM boot seems like it would raise the difficulty to a whole other level.

TexasZagFan
02-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Kung Fu has been on late night cable recently. Watching these episodes bring back good memories in DeSmet: 3-4 of us hunched around my 9" B/W TV, waiting for the arse kicking scenes. :lmao:

OTOH, it's pretty good watching it from a 65" 4K TV.

DADoZAG
02-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Kung Fu has been on late night cable recently. Watching these episodes bring back good memories in DeSmet: 3-4 of us hunched around my 9" B/W TV, waiting for the arse kicking scenes. :lmao:

OTOH, it's pretty good watching it from a 65" 4K TV.

Love the scene where they show, uncut, a hatchet thrown right at Caine's head and he spins and blocks it! (I think I've posted that before?)

As for the thread, would the thumb be better by Saturday even if Shem sits? Jams take a couple of weeks the the way I remember them. Coach left Shem in long enough to foul out last Saturday, even with a 35 point lead.

G-dub will want to play, will "need" to play, Thursday, IMO.

I'm thinking we see both, but minutes should be drastically reduced. Would love to see Jones and Rui get as many minutes as possible.

Go ZAGS!

MDABE80
02-07-2017, 09:05 PM
No!

Ok why not. You want Karno to reinjure or worsen his thumb? Only makes sense to rest him if the other bigs can carry the load. Collins can, Tillie can. W3 always does. SO what's the rub?

MontanaCoyote
02-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Ok why not. You want Karno to reinjure or worsen his thumb? Only makes sense to rest him if the other bigs can carry the load. Collins can, Tillie can. W3 always does. SO what's the rub?

OK, I commented without thinking it through. If the thumb injury is such that he risks aggravating it, then I'm with you.
Being 74, I remember guys playing with "broken legs" (in high school, I played with a broken arm once) so it's hard for me
to relate sometimes.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 07:14 AM
OK, I commented without thinking it through. If the thumb injury is such that he risks aggravating it, then I'm with you.
Being 74, I remember guys playing with "broken legs" (in high school, I played with a broken arm once) so it's hard for me
to relate sometimes.

Oh-oh, you're going to rile up the whippersnappers out there. lol

My kids didn't believe me about the walk I had to/from junior high (Castro Valley, CA), until we drove it during a visit to my sister's house 15 years ago. There were a number of hills to traverse, not flat like Texas. It might have been a couple of miles one-way. Haven't been back since then, tectonic forces may have flattened the terrain. lol

Hoopaholic
02-08-2017, 07:19 AM
to relate sometimes.

played with broken jaw after having it wired up...my coach had to carry around wire clippers in case I had to throw up...the good OLD days

TexasZagFan
02-08-2017, 08:14 AM
played with broken jaw after having it wired up...my coach had to carry around wire clippers in case I had to throw up...the good OLD days

Never had to play after enduring an injury, except for picking splinters out of my rear.

I did have all 4 wisdom teeth pulled one afternoon, and was back at work the next day. I was young and foolish at the time.

Zagceo
02-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Never thought of that.....what would Josh have done?

CDC84
02-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Former UNLV point guard Greg Anthony taking charges & everything with a wired shut broken jaw and some taping around his eyes that makes him look like some guy from a horror film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GctebLQ9jtw

ZagNative
02-08-2017, 02:01 PM
From twitter:

Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm

GU's Nigel Williams-Goss participates in practice Tuesday and Wednesday, on track to play Thursday after missing Santa Clara game (ankle)

Zagceo
02-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Nigel made top 20 Wooden list

link (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020817aac.html)

Section 116
02-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks Native