PDA

View Full Version : PTI - Wilbon changes his tune on the Zags

TexasZagFan
02-04-2017, 12:30 PM
I rarely watch Pardon the Interruption, but I was channel surfing last night. Wilbon watched the BYU game, and raved about NWG, "a wonder at the college level."

Kornheiser brought up the SOS about the WCC. ho-hum

Tony's a Philly guy, that means he's locked in on Villanova.

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 12:34 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/MccloudScott/status/827650929012809728/video/1

Here's the clip

TexasZagFan
02-04-2017, 12:38 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/MccloudScott/status/827650929012809728/video/1

Here's the clip

Thanks, I only had it on my DVR. I can only assume Wilbon will be watching tonight, since the game is on ESPN.

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Thanks, I only had it on my DVR. I can only assume Wilbon will be watching tonight, since the game is on ESPN.

I found it interesting that Wilbon would (if he had to take ANY college kid in NBA if he was starting a team) that he'd take NWG

Marcus
02-04-2017, 12:54 PM
That was awesome. I liked how he said he wanted to watch all the games now. Keep it going Zags and make em believers!

wiszag
02-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Tony is a New Yorker and went to school at Binghamton. Not a Philly guy.

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 12:57 PM

Also goes to bed extremely early. A reason he stopped MNF. Not sure if that's too accurate though

TexasZagFan
02-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Sorry my bad. Apologies to Philly.

TexasZagFan
02-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Also goes to bed extremely early. A reason he stopped MNF. Not sure if that's too accurate though

From what I heard, he sent the MNF audience to sleep early.

jazzdelmar
02-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Tony's a big zags doubter. Even said it yesterday. Wilbon more of a fan but said we'd lose one in regular season.

jazzdelmar
02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
I found it interesting that Wilbon would (if he had to take ANY college kid in NBA if he was starting a team) that he'd take NWG

He said that and I was shocked. Usually a BCS honk.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-04-2017, 01:22 PM
From what I heard, he sent the MNF audience to sleep early.

:roll:

Marcus
02-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Tony's a big zags doubter. Even said it yesterday. Wilbon more of a fan but said we'd lose one in regular season.

I think the BYU game changed a bit of the perception nationally. For those that actually watched it that is.

JPtheBeasta
02-04-2017, 01:29 PM
To be fair, Wilbon did say that he would have ranked the Zags #1 a couple of days ago.

FuManShoes
02-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Thing I don't understand is, if the WCC doesn't prepare the Zags for the NCAA Tournament, then why didn't the Big 10 better prepare Mich St for #15 Middle Tennessee St last year, and why didn't the Big 12 better prepare West Virginia for #14 Stephen F Austin? ...

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Thing I don't understand is, if the WCC doesn't prepare the Zags for the NCAA Tournament, then why didn't the Big 10 better prepare Mich St for #15 Middle Tennessee St last year, and why didn't the Big 12 better prepare West Virginia for #14 Stephen F Austin? ...

Because they have to have an excuse to doubt us. It's the most illogical argument in the world and only people that have no knowledge of basketball use that argument

TexasZagFan
02-04-2017, 01:49 PM

Those leagues are so tough, too many of their teams are plumb tuckered out when the Dance begins.

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Those leagues are so tough, too many of their teams are plumb tuckered out when the Dance begins.

Another silly one lol

RenoZag
02-04-2017, 01:57 PM

Jay Williams is on line one. . .

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Jay Williams is on line one. . .

Tell him to leave a message. I'll get back to him later

soccerdud
02-04-2017, 02:46 PM

i'm sorry... but examples like this keep getting thrown out (along with those times that we beat P5 teams in the tourney, etc). they are useless, meaningless, and not a counter argument. when talking about ANYTHING like this in sports (bring in a lefty reliever? zone vs man defense? ride the hot hand or the star player? go with your gut or use analytics? on and on), you're playing probabilities. there isn't a strategy or a condition in high level athletics that absolutely guarantees success or any specific outcome.

people making the right calls fail sometimes. people making the wrong calls succeed sometimes. other times, the calls don't matter and you win on talent. those are ALL possibilities ALL the time. but, for those who are able to exert some control over what happens, all other things being equal, you want to play the probabilities in the way that gives you the best chance for success.

again, all else being equal, the same team in the same high pressure situation against the same quality opponent, is more likely to succeed if they've been in a similar situation before. maybe it is 1 more time out of 10, or whatever, but increasing that chance helps-- and that is the motivation every time a player practices taking a game winning shot, or coaches run situational drills, or a team pumps noise into practice.

and the responsible players, coaches, and administrators do everything they can within the rules and their reasonable ability to maximize those chances.

this entire thing is magnified in the NCAA tournament when you have to win 6 consecutive games, generally against high-quality opponents. if we had a 1 in 10 (just throwing a number out) better shot at winning each game, would we have made a final four by now? i don't know, but getting offended on behalf of the conference because others (fans or pundits) suggest we'd be more likely to achieve our goals if we had better competition in jan-feb is foolish. and it would be equally foolish to turn down an opportunity to increase our chances, if offered (and legal/moral/reasonable cost/etc).

but, there are no guarantees. and because of that no amount of anecdotal evidence suffices to counter the point.

edit: or, you know, if you feel like someone is making the concrete claim that gonzaga would have made a final four by now if they were in a better conference, feel free to say: "you can't prove that; maybe they've just never been good enough!". that's a much better counter argument.

gonzagafan62
02-10-2017, 03:24 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2cvu3h4XaLM

Another PTI video on Gonzaga. This one is for SMC game

Never found it on twitter but did see this. Took me over an hour to get this 20 second clip on YouTube (had to create and account blah blah blah) so please watch haha. Also don't know how to do description so if anyone knows how I'd appreciate you telling me.

Thanks.

Hoopaholic
02-10-2017, 03:45 PM
i'm sorry... but examples like this keep getting thrown out (along with those times that we beat P5 teams in the tourney, etc). they are useless, meaningless, and not a counter argument. when talking about ANYTHING like this in sports (bring in a lefty reliever? zone vs man defense? ride the hot hand or the star player? go with your gut or use analytics? on and on), you're playing probabilities. there isn't a strategy or a condition in high level athletics that absolutely guarantees success or any specific outcome.

people making the right calls fail sometimes. people making the wrong calls succeed sometimes. other times, the calls don't matter and you win on talent. those are ALL possibilities ALL the time. but, for those who are able to exert some control over what happens, all other things being equal, you want to play the probabilities in the way that gives you the best chance for success.

again, all else being equal, the same team in the same high pressure situation against the same quality opponent, is more likely to succeed if they've been in a similar situation before. maybe it is 1 more time out of 10, or whatever, but increasing that chance helps-- and that is the motivation every time a player practices taking a game winning shot, or coaches run situational drills, or a team pumps noise into practice.

and the responsible players, coaches, and administrators do everything they can within the rules and their reasonable ability to maximize those chances.

this entire thing is magnified in the NCAA tournament when you have to win 6 consecutive games, generally against high-quality opponents. if we had a 1 in 10 (just throwing a number out) better shot at winning each game, would we have made a final four by now? i don't know, but getting offended on behalf of the conference because others (fans or pundits) suggest we'd be more likely to achieve our goals if we had better competition in jan-feb is foolish. and it would be equally foolish to turn down an opportunity to increase our chances, if offered (and legal/moral/reasonable cost/etc).

but, there are no guarantees. and because of that no amount of anecdotal evidence suffices to counter the point.

edit: or, you know, if you feel like someone is making the concrete claim that gonzaga would have made a final four by now if they were in a better conference, feel free to say: "you can't prove that; maybe they've just never been good enough!". that's a much better counter argument.

Only if you had success in those situations. If you have had negative outcomes could work as disadvantage imo

ZagsGoZags
02-10-2017, 04:11 PM
there is only one way to cure the doubters
we all know what that is.
win our Final Four game,
and play for the Nat'l Championship.
from the East coast point of view, everything else is just talk, talk, talk.
I think that will happen THIS year.