PDA

View Full Version : Gameday official at SMC

Section 116
02-04-2017, 07:29 AM
Rece Davis, of ESPN College Gameday, just confirmed on this morning's show, Gameday, will, in fact be live from Moraga next Saturday.

Sarenyon
02-04-2017, 07:34 AM
It's going to be fun.

ZagNative
02-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Wow. What a year!

Bogozags
02-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Wow. What a year!

AND it doesn't end until April 3rd!

DixieZag
02-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Cool

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-04-2017, 08:12 AM
This is very cool... but honestly Game Day featuring THIS Gonzaga Team
Should be in Spokane, at GU, in the MAC.

Having said that... Go Zags!

Hoopaholic
02-04-2017, 08:31 AM
This is very cool... but honestly Game Day featuring THIS Gonzaga Team
Should be in Spokane, at GU, in the MAC.

Having said that... Go Zags!
Very well could be if we are undefeated going into final game vs byu

former1dog
02-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Someone complained on Facebook about Gonzaga being ranked #1 and on game day because it meant they weren't on local tv in Spokane.

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 08:50 AM
Someone complained on Facebook about Gonzaga being ranked #1 and on game day because it meant they weren't on local tv in Spokane.

Wow.

Zagger
02-04-2017, 08:58 AM

If I couldn't watch it at home I'd take that as an open invite to Jack & Dan's - even if I had to bring my own tea bags ;)

gonzagafan62
02-04-2017, 09:08 AM
If I couldn't watch it at home I'd take that as an open invite to Jack & Dan's - even if I had to bring my own tea bags ;)

LOL! That's funny.

This has to be one of those games that has the highest stakes at Moraga (minus the 2013 game when the same thing happened, now they are ranked this time though)

RenoZag
02-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Very well could be if we are undefeated going into final game vs byu

Hoop, Arizona and UCLA are scheduled to play ( @ Arizona) that day, If ESPN has the broadcast rights, I would suspect they would make that the 5:15 pm "Game Day" game of the week.

ESPN already has BYU @ GU (set to air at 7 pm on ESPN2 ).

And, if you're Jay Williams, do you want to visit Spokane or Tucson in February ??

zagzilla
02-04-2017, 09:35 AM
This actually makes the SMC road game much tougher for GU. McKeon will be packed with fans even more fired up than usual to show the national audience that their gymnasium rocks. Gaels team will be energized by making a relatively rare national TV appearance and (what I believe) is their first chance to host GameDay-they will not want to blow it. They know they need this one worse than GU does.

Zags will have a huge target on their backs and everybody else in the country will be rooting for the upset.

With all that said, champions rise up and I think GU prevails.

ZZ

jazzdelmar
02-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Priceless publicity all around. Again, the league and smc should get on their knees and thank us.

Marcus
02-04-2017, 09:48 AM
This actually makes the SMC road game much tougher for GU. McKeon will be packed with fans even more fired up than usual to show the national audience that their gymnasium rocks. Gaels team will be energized by making a relatively rare national TV appearance and (what I believe) is their first chance to host GameDay-they will not want to blow it. They know they need this one worse than GU does.

Zags will have a huge target on their backs and everybody else in the country will be rooting for the upset.

ZZ

This is a good thing. Heap on the publicity, hype and pressure. The tougher the environment the better. The Jay Williams of the world might not see this as a chance to be battle tested but it sure as heck qualifies in my book.

BayAreaZagFan
02-04-2017, 09:54 AM

ZZ

I think that actually puts added pressure on St Mary's. The Zags will be fine either way.

gaels87
02-04-2017, 10:08 AM

ZZ

I don't think I buy this in regards to the crowd, etc. We have been on national TV plenty of times and its not like they are going to cram any more people inside McKeon. Going back to 2003-04, the games vs Gonzaga have always been huge for our students and they are always on national TV, and are always sold out and the noise level in there is a deafening and its not like it could get any louder in there (for those that have never been to a GU game at SMC, you have to believe me on this). For the players, regardless if this was a Gameday game or not, the fact that you guys are #1 in the country (well deserved), brings all the media and the hype with it, that and the fact that it is almost a certainty that this is the last opportunity for anyone to beat you, the attention on the game was going to be there regardless. I look at the Gameday experience as more for the fans, but that all goes away about 30 seconds after the tip off.
Here's hoping we can handle our business today and Thursday & then enjoy the build-up over the next week.

Zag_Dad
02-04-2017, 10:23 AM
I don't think I buy this in regards to the crowd, etc. We have been on national TV plenty of times and its not like they are going to cram any more people inside McKeon. Going back to 2003-04, the games vs Gonzaga have always been huge for our students and they are always on national TV, and are always sold out and the noise level in there is a deafening and its not like it could get any louder in there (for those that have never been to a GU game at SMC, you have to believe me on this). For the players, regardless if this was a Gameday game or not, the fact that you guys are #1 in the country (well deserved), brings all the media and the hype with it, that and the fact that it is almost a certainty that this is the last opportunity for anyone to beat you, the attention on the game was going to be there regardless. I look at the Gameday experience as more for the fans, but that all goes away about 30 seconds after the tip off.
Here's hoping we can handle our business today and Thursday & then enjoy the build-up over the next week.

I read somewhere that Saint Mary's students will be away from campus (Spring break?) and dorms may not be open. If true, will the university make some accommodations to allow student into dorms so they can come back early to attend the game?

Hoopaholic
02-04-2017, 10:25 AM

ZZ
Having been to mirage twice they pack it anyway and are ruthless for our game so not sure going add anything inside the gym

Community and national exposure will be awesome for zags. Gaels and wcc

madness
02-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Very true...SMC has tons of commuter students and it won't be hard to pack that barn. Their social media has also started a campaign to pull "fans/students" to the taping of Gameday in the morning onsite...that will be the tougher issue as many of the "fans/students" will probably be alumni/locals vs actual rowdy students.

kitzbuel
02-04-2017, 10:40 AM
That game is going to be like playing in a pressure cooker. Just cause it is a small gym doesn't mean it's less intimidating than the Marriott or any other arena. Good experience for the Zags.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

gaels87
02-04-2017, 10:56 AM
I read somewhere that Saint Mary's students will be away from campus (Spring break?) and dorms may not be open. If true, will the university make some accommodations to allow student into dorms so they can come back early to attend the game?

The students are on their January Term break, but we've heard the dorms are open. On the SMC website it said they sold out the student-ticket allotment in minutes, so at least the kids that have tickets will be there.

RenoZag
02-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Very true...SMC has tons of commuter students and it won't be hard to pack that barn. Their social media has also started a campaign to pull "fans/students" to the taping of Gameday in the morning onsite...that will be the tougher issue as many of the "fans/students" will probably be alumni/locals vs actual rowdy students.

The Moraga fire marshal will be getting his annual donation. . .

LouisianaZag
02-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Yes, it should be in Spokane this year.

sittingon50
02-04-2017, 11:18 AM
The students are on their January Term break, but we've heard the dorms are open. On the SMC website it said they sold out the student-ticket allotment in minutes, so at least the kids that have tickets will be there.

Why would the dorms be closed? Have to imagine that there are students from way far away that will not spend the money to go home for only a week. Need a place to stay.

gaels87
02-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Why would the dorms be closed? Have to imagine that there are students from way far away that will not spend the money to go home for only a week. Need a place to stay.

when I was in school (albeit 30 years ago), and if you weren't a athlete that was in season, or had some other solid reason for staying, you had to request/get approved to stay (which takes care of the out of state & international kids). Most did go home, as probably 75% of SMC students are from CA. January Term was also a big time for travel/study-abroad courses, and those students would come back at various times.

U Zig, I Zag
02-04-2017, 11:45 AM
It's good for smc, gu and smc.

sittingon50
02-04-2017, 11:57 AM
when I was in school (albeit 30 years ago), and if you weren't a athlete that was in season, or had some other solid reason for staying, you had to request/get approved to stay (which takes care of the out of state & international kids). Most did go home, as probably 75% of SMC students are from CA. January Term was also a big time for travel/study-abroad courses, and those students would come back at various times.

Thanks 87.

strikenowhere
02-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Definitely think the pressure of hosting their first GameDay AND their first #1 ranked opponent ever is going to get to the Gaels and the game will be a Zags blowout. To me the Zags have shown that this year they are cool under pressure....if this was last year's team I would have put money down on St. Mary's.

Hoopaholic
02-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Could be two top ten teams squaring off

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-04-2017, 07:51 PM
This is great exposure for the Gaels and the WCC.

Zag_Dad
02-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Could be two top ten teams squaring off

Was just thinking the same thing. SMC should move up significantly in polls on Monday.

RenoZag
02-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Gaels would have to advance 8 (AP) or 9 ( USA Today) slots to reach the Top Ten. They certainly ought to move up, but I don't see them leapfrogging that many teams.

I think the AP Poll on Monday will be:

1. Zags
2. Nova
3. Louisville
4. Oregon
5, UCLA
6. Kansas
7. UNC ( if they beat ND tomorrow )

ZagaZags
02-04-2017, 09:23 PM
AND it doesn't end until April 3rd!

I love it! :cheers:

CDC84
02-06-2017, 07:48 AM
I mean this with all sincerity.....where is the Gameday crew going to fit in McKeon Pavilion once the game starts?? That set they have isn't exactly tiny.

willandi
02-06-2017, 07:53 AM
I mean this with all sincerity.....where is the Gameday crew going to fit in McKeon Pavilion once the game starts?? That set they have isn't exactly tiny.

Either outside...or take over one of the women's rest rooms. What? Sorry, just heard there's only 1 women's restroom. It's that small!

scott257
02-06-2017, 08:09 AM

It surprised me to see on the ESPN page that tickets (some pretty good) are still available - not alot but still, can you imagine tickets being available in the Kennel online for a game like this?

zagfan24
02-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Samhan's old chair?

sittingon50
02-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Samhan's old chair?

:lmao:

CDC84
02-06-2017, 08:46 AM
I wonder if Omar will be at the game Saturday?

Seriously....I wonder if we'll see a lot of Randy's former great players at the game. He's got something like 15 kids playing overseas in addition to the NBA'ers. EJ Rowland has carved himself out a great career playing in Bulgaria.

gaels87
02-06-2017, 11:20 AM
It surprised me to see on the ESPN page that tickets (some pretty good) are still available - not alot but still, can you imagine tickets being available in the Kennel online for a game like this?

the tickets that are available are those offered on Stub-hub. The GA Seats are going for $100+
The game has been sold out for months.

Zag_Dad
02-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Was just thinking the same thing. SMC should move up significantly in polls on Monday.

Wow, guess I was way wrong! SMC falls two spots after two convincing wins (albeit wins against WCC dregs). Tons of teams ahead of them suffered home court losses to unranked teams? I just don't get how SMC falls two spots.

ZagsGoZags
02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
The reason, I suggest, might be their SOS , always seriously low, always hoping to raise their SOS by beating us. Their focus on us, rather than the larger basketball world for their progress, makes me think of a teenager focusing all energy on parents, when it is the whole world sending some kind of message they don't like. Bennett is shrewd in trying to pad his win loss record, which is always stellar, by playing one or two ranked teams a year (the two games with GU) and mostly cupcakes the rest of the time. It works, and for a million dollars he would not even say the words "we will play anyone in their gym." We don't have to anymore, but we got where we are because we did it for so long.

DixieZag
02-06-2017, 02:47 PM
The reason, I suggest, might be their SOS , always seriously low, always hoping to raise their SOS by beating us. Their focus on us, rather than the larger basketball world for their progress, makes me think of a teenager focusing all energy on parents, when it is the whole world sending some kind of message they don't like. Bennett is shrewd in trying to pad his win loss record, which is always stellar, by playing one or two ranked teams a year (the two games with GU) and mostly cupcakes the rest of the time. It works, and for a million dollars he would not even say the words "we will play anyone in their gym." We don't have to anymore, but we got where we are because we did it for so long.

1. Selfish on his part. He's got his upper 6 figures and an open invitation to leap at the perfect tier one job

2. Cheats the kids. They deserve to try beating any of the top 20 in a true road game, they'd win many of them.

3. Boring for both.

Kiddwell
02-06-2017, 07:24 PM
This's a really nice pat on the back for Saint Mary's. We had Game Day in the MAC some years ago when we played Stanford. it's a pretty wonderful thing for the Gaels and their fans. Congrats to them and the WCC.

:adored:

:]

Zagceo
02-10-2017, 10:28 AM
https://cdn-az.allevents.in/banners/e7867a907b1baf397602ec4d1a997d88

Zag_Dad
02-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Is anyone from this board attending the game in Moraga? Would love to know that we will have some representatives. Crash the pancake party!

FYI: My oldest daughter (now a Zag alum) told me the bartender at Jack and Dans was wearing a Gaels jersey the night Saint Mary's played in Spokane. I was outraged by this! I insisted that something had to be done about this travesty and had a few suggestions for what was appropriate. I was told that my suggestions were more than likely going to get someone arrested and that the bartender and her Gael's jersey had disappeared.

Hopefully we have some friends in Zag gear on campus in Moraga tomorrow.

GO ZAGS!!