PDA

View Full Version : WCC POY

seacatfan
02-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Last night during the game they kept insisting it's a 2 player race between Williams-Goss and Mika. I don't see any way that Mika has distinguished himself from Landale. Similar stats and better results for SMC. Just not seeing it. And it was only 1 game, but I wasn't particularly impressed w/ Mika and his 5-15 FG shooting and multiple flops last night. I thought Landale performed better against the Zags even w/ foul problems. Heck, BYU is only 1/2 game up on SCU in the standings, don't see any reason Mika would be head and shoulders above Brownridge. I think it's NWG by a mile at this point, but not at all convinced Mika is the clear #2. Anyone else?

former1dog
02-03-2017, 01:00 PM
I agree with you about Mika.

Landale is ahead of Mika.

Nigel, IMO, is the clear favorite to win. Best player on the best team.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I agree with you about Mika.

Landale is ahead of Mika.

Nigel, IMO, is the clear favorite to win. Best player on the best team.

Yah. I have said it before. The best player on the best team should be the recipient. Perhaps a different story if there is a transcendent player on a team or there isn't a clear cut 'best team', but so far the Zags with #1 ranking, undefeated, have shown themselves to be the best team.

77Zag
02-03-2017, 01:27 PM
NWG clearly has Rose's vote and all the Cougs should fall in line.

Mika and Landale will slug it out at Marriott Center for second place. I'm taking the Cougs in this one...

Go Zags - Beat the Broncos!

hondo
02-03-2017, 01:35 PM
NWG hands down, end of story.

CDC84
02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
The WCC POY award used to almost ALWAYS go to the most important player on the team who won the WCC regular season league title. You would often see players win the award who didn't have dominating stat lines (see Jeremy Pargo). But in recent years the WCC has deviated from this tradition at times.

sittingon50
02-03-2017, 01:48 PM
This is assuming that Few nominates NWG. I really think there's a chance that he'll nominate Karno.

rennis
02-03-2017, 02:36 PM
NWG might be the best leader ever under Few on what might be the best Zags team on what might be the overall best team the conference has seen in a very long time. I don't see how NWG could be below any other player in this race.

ZagsObserver
02-03-2017, 02:55 PM
NWG manages the game like Bouldin could, but he's a more athletic version.

23dpg
02-03-2017, 03:07 PM
This is assuming that Few nominates NWG. I really think there's a chance that he'll nominate Karno.

Hokiest rule still around. Let the coaches vote for who they want. In the real world, the MVP could be 1)NWG 2)Karno.

seacatfan
02-03-2017, 03:16 PM

I sincerely hope Few doesn't do this. Karno is a big part of GU's success, but it would not be the right call and would most likely result in a non-GU player getting the POY.

seacatfan
02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Occasionally the WCC coaches seem to decide they don't want to give POY to a GU player, regardless of how deserving he is. FWIW 2 of the last 3 winners have been from BYU (Haws, Collinsworth). They may have been deserving, but there is no possible way to claim they were the best player on the best team.

Hoopaholic
02-03-2017, 03:19 PM
I sincerely hope Few doesn't do this. Karno is a big part of GU's success, but it would not be the right call and would most likely result in a non-GU player getting the POY.

I disagree. Shem or NWG if we go undefeated will win no matter who is put forward

Both are critical to our success

Few tends to reward the seniors if it is close if which it is to this point and time

I would wager teams defensive game plan around Shem more than NWG

With that said the remaining 7 games will have impact on who is put forward as our rep and both would rep the zag family very well IMO