PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Gameday for SMC ?

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 11:23 AM
Someone on the SMC board mentioned that it's possible that College Gameday would go to Moraga next Saturday for the road game versus SMC.

I guess the location is announced the previous Saturday (tomorrow) during the Gameday show, and they go wherever they need to showcase the biggest games.

It is a big game in terms of number one playing maybe number sixteen or so - I think we can rely on ESPN jacking up SMC's ranking. And, it's a big game from the story line; The biggest Zag roadblock to undefeated and number one seed of the tournament. May be nice to do the game in the west and not always be a PAC game.

But, is it that big nationally?

gaels87
02-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Word on campus is that ESPN guys were there and there is something being planned for the students at 7:00 am that Saturday morning. Guessing pretty good indications that it is for the 8:00 am gameday

BayAreaZagFan
02-03-2017, 11:31 AM
I'd say no, mostly because the rest of the nation is incredibly dismissive of Gonzaga and the WCC (fans and sportswriters alike). Heck, most of them still don't know how to properly pronounce Gonzaga and barely anyone other than the hardest-core basketball fans could tell you exactly where St. Mary's is from. However, you're right about the story line - pretty compelling. It's a big game for us. What other big games are out there that day?

Zagger
02-03-2017, 11:33 AM

It is the #1 team playing. I'm sure there are a few folks out there that do not watch the Zags during the regular season. On 'Gameday' they may wish to do so. It's pretty darn certain that some #2-#10 teams will be playing the Zags in a few weeks. Their fans should see what they're up against.

VinnyZag
02-03-2017, 11:41 AM
When ESPN moved tip time up to 5 pm pacific, I assumed they were at least considering bringing Gameday to Moraga.

strikenowhere
02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
I think its happening - this is a huge rivalry game featuring the #1 team in the country and its main rival that is ranked in the top-20. Plus (and probably a bigger reason) is that there are not really any marquee games that day elsewhere:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20170211/group/50

LongIslandZagFan
02-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Word on campus is that ESPN guys were there and there is something being planned for the students at 7:00 am that Saturday morning. Guessing pretty good indications that it is for the 8:00 am gameday

Thought I read that there are not going to be students on the 11th... is that true?

strikenowhere
02-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Thought I read that there are not going to be students on the 11th... is that true?

Hmmm I forgot about that - maybe they'll return the favor that the Zags did when St. Mary's came to town and open a day or two early?

meadgrad02
02-03-2017, 12:07 PM
The game is at 515 on ESPN. That's the gameday time slot. Sure seems like it's happening.

sittingon50
02-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Student's get the previous week off.

Not sure how actually deserted their campus may be. A lot of out of area kids probably not spending the $ if only out for a week.

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Student's get the previous week off.

Hmm. First week of Feb is kind of strange time off. I'm sure there's a reason. Anyway, probably quite a few would come back for the game.

strikenowhere
02-03-2017, 12:40 PM
If this does indeed come to pass, besides just being good for the WCC, I have to wonder if the pressure is almost flipped into St. Mary's lap. All the buildup to their first GameDay against the #1 team in the land - I bet that could get in their heads a bit.

gaels87
02-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Hmm. First week of Feb is kind of strange time off. I'm sure there's a reason. Anyway, probably quite a few would come back for the game.

The week off, next week (Feb 4-12), is the school's January Term break. SMC is on a 4-1-4 semester schedule. Still not sure if the dorms are open or not, but regardless, there was an article on the SMC website that the student ticket allotment sold out, so the kids will be there. Either way, as long as we don't do something stupid in the next 2 games and lose, it is going to be a lot of fun.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 12:48 PM
The week off, next week (Feb 4-12), is the school's January Term break. SMC is on a 4-1-4 semester schedule. Still not sure if the dorms are open or not, but regardless, there was an article on the SMC website that the student ticket allotment sold out, so the kids will be there. Either way, as long as we don't do something stupid in the next 2 games and lose, it is going to be a lot of fun.

You guys dodged your bullet last night, I don't think you'll lose between now and next Saturday.

LongIslandZagFan
02-03-2017, 12:49 PM

Glad to hear that.

gaels87
02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
You guys dodged your bullet last night, I don't think you'll lose between now and next Saturday.

I hope so - that was painful to watch and even got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore & found that it was much easier to change the channel & sit back and enjoy your game...

sittingon50
02-03-2017, 01:30 PM
I hope so - that was painful to watch and even got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore & found that it was much easier to change the channel & sit back and enjoy your game...

You enjoyed our game? I had to turn it to your game!@#$ in the 2nd half. My TV was in "grave" danger (is there any other kind)?

gaels87
02-03-2017, 01:48 PM
You enjoyed our game? I had to turn it to your game!@#$ in the 2nd half. My TV was in "grave" danger (is there any other kind)?

my remote wasn't so lucky.... and I know what I said- I don't have to have it read back to me

sittingon50
02-03-2017, 01:49 PM
my remote wasn't so lucky.... and I know what I said- I don't have to have it read back to me

:clap:

CDC84
02-03-2017, 02:58 PM
I have to believe there are enough Bay Area based Gael students to fill up the student section. It's towards the end of the break, and besides, how many times do you get to host ESPN college gameday? As a college student I'd want to be a part of that way more than being on a rusty boat in Lake Havasu with a can of Keystone Light.

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 03:58 PM
I have to believe there are enough Bay Area based Gael students to fill up the student section. It's towards the end of the break, and besides, how many times do you get to host ESPN college gameday? As a college student I'd want to be a part of that way more than being on a rusty boat in Lake Havasu with a can of Keystone Light.

Agree.

And it sounds like they're stepping up. Nice job, SMC. This will be fun, so long as no one loses on the way.

jazzdelmar
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Looking forward to an interview with coach Bennett.

GonzagasaurusFlex
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
If this does indeed come to pass, besides just being good for the WCC, I have to wonder if the pressure is almost flipped into St. Mary's lap. All the buildup to their first GameDay against the #1 team in the land - I bet that could get in their heads a bit.

I'd say pressure is flipped onto St. Mary's administration moreso than their players. Eyes of the college hoops world will be upon the Gaels' high school gymnasium.

ProVeeZag
02-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Someone on the SMC board mentioned that it's possible that College Gameday would go to Moraga next Saturday for the road game versus SMC.

I guess the location is announced the previous Saturday (tomorrow) during the Gameday show, and they go wherever they need to showcase the biggest games.

It is a big game in terms of number one playing maybe number sixteen or so - I think we can rely on ESPN jacking up SMC's ranking. And, it's a big game from the story line; The biggest Zag roadblock to undefeated and number one seed of the tournament. May be nice to do the game in the west and not always be a PAC game.

I recall when the College Gameday crew went to Fargo for a North Dakota State Bison football game; that was for a #1 ranked Division II school. I think the ESPN crew always is looking for a situation with "a back story". Zags vs. Gaels rivalry has that, I believe, plus the current #1 ranked D-1 basketball team in the country. If it happens we'll be treated to archival video/photos of Delevedova, Patty Mills, Omar, etc. and Pargo, Olynyk, etc.

RenoZag
02-03-2017, 05:27 PM
If it happens we'll be treated to archival video/photos of Delevedova, Patty Mills, Omar, etc. . .

Forgive me if I forget to set my DVR. . .

jpn17
02-03-2017, 08:26 PM
Forgive me if I forget to set my DVR. . .

:roll:

Same

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2017, 08:31 PM
I recall when the College Gameday crew went to Fargo for a North Dakota State Bison football game; that was for a #1 ranked Division II school. I think the ESPN crew always is looking for a situation with "a back story". Zags vs. Gaels rivalry has that, I believe, plus the current #1 ranked D-1 basketball team in the country. If it happens we'll be treated to archival video/photos of Delevedova, Patty Mills, Omar, etc. and Pargo, Olynyk, etc.

NDSU is 1AA or FCS, as it's now referred to and they routinely beat P5 programs; Iowa this year for example. And game day has been to Fargo twice.

ProVeeZag
02-03-2017, 10:41 PM
NDSU is 1AA or FCS, as it's now referred to and they routinely beat P5 programs; Iowa this year for example. And game day has been to Fargo twice.

And Kansas State 2 years ago, I believe. Thanks for the clarifications!