PDA

View Full Version : Not too sure what to think..

zagsfanforlife
02-02-2017, 09:39 PM
The basketball enthusiast/scholar in me continues watching this zags team and does not know fully what to think... are we this good, or is the WCC this bad? I know basketball--- i know we play very good defense, we have very good interior defense, NWG is great, we have great balance, have shooters, but man there are times when we honestly dont look that fantastic. There were many spurts this year where i dont think we look good--- yet we either blow out a team, or we beat BYU in Provo by 10. Tonight do i think we looked good? No not really. So many careless turnovers.. Yet we win @ provo... a notoriously tough place to play. Is the WCC that bad this year? I know BYU is down, St Marys biggest win is @ Dayton (another tough place to play), but Dayton is a bit down this year...

Maybe a little bit of both? Its weird to say this about a 23-0 team, but i would like to see more consistency. We either look amazing, or look bleh.

PS Mathews has got to get his swag/confidence/mental game back. To make a run we need his shooting. He has been around 20% from 3 his last 8. Gotta really cut down on the dumb turnovers. Cant do that against a Kansas, Kentucky, any top team and expect to win.

LongIslandZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:41 PM
BYU has lost 8 games in Marriott in like 6 years... 5 I think are the Zags though.

jazzdelmar
02-02-2017, 09:42 PM
The basketball enthusiast/scholar in me continues watching this zags team and does not know fully what to think... are we this good, or is the WCC this bad? I know basketball--- i know we play very good defense, we have very good interior defense, NWG is great, we have great balance, have shooters, but man there are times when we honestly dont look that fantastic. There were many spurts this year where i dont think we look good--- yet we either blow out a team, or we beat BYU in Provo by 10. Tonight do i think we looked good? No not really. Yet we win @ provo... a notoriously tough place to play. Is the WCC that bad this year? I know BYU is down, St Marys biggest win is @ Dayton (another tough place to play), but they are a bit down this year...

Maybe a little bit of both? Its weird to see this about a 23-0 team, but i would like to see more consistency. We either look amazing, or look bleh.

PS Mathews has got to get his swag/confidence/mental game back. To make a run we need his shooting. He has been around 20% from 3 his last 8.

Good and candid summary, Life. Games like tonight just are harbingers of what could happen in an early NCAA gm.

cggonzaga
02-02-2017, 09:45 PM
The basketball enthusiast/scholar in me continues watching this zags team and does not know fully what to think... are we this good, or is the WCC this bad? I know basketball--- i know we play very good defense, we have very good interior defense, NWG is great, we have great balance, have shooters, but man there are times when we honestly dont look that fantastic. There were many spurts this year where i dont think we look good--- yet we either blow out a team, or we beat BYU in Provo by 10. Tonight do i think we looked good? No not really. Yet we win @ provo... a notoriously tough place to play. Is the WCC that bad this year? I know BYU is down, St Marys biggest win is @ Dayton (another tough place to play), but they are a bit down this year...

Maybe a little bit of both? Its weird to see this about a 23-0 team, but i would like to see more consistency. We either look amazing, or look bleh.

PS Mathews has got to get his swag/confidence/mental game back. To make a run we need his shooting. He has been around 20% from 3 his last 8.

When we go into BYU and win by 10 without playing our best basketball and a little bit of home cookin from the officials, we pretty damn good. Can't always play pretty basketball but that's what's so impressive about this team, it doesn't matter. Are we going to beat Kansas, Arizona, etc playing like we did tonight? No, but going into Provo as the top ranked team in the country would be difficult for any team.

ZagzKrak
02-02-2017, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't put to much weight into tonight's game....BYU played slapping, bumping defense all night knowing the ref's won't call them all kinda like West Virginia does. We won so we can complain about the lack of calls right? :jk:

amaronizag
02-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Give BYU a lot of credit. The zone they threw at GU was tough, tough, tough. Had GU off balance and out of kilter all night. How many touches did Karno get in the paint? 3 or 4? 5 at the most. They came out on Mathews so fast he hardly threw up a shot. Packed the middle and got up into our guards at every position. Goss sliced it, diced it, and destroyed their zone with his floater, slashing to the hoop, and fast break off of turn overs. Goss was the answer to all of the questions and the solution to all of the problems. Really going to miss that guy!!!! Great win.

CdAZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:49 PM
I've watched a lot of College BBall this year and haven't seen any team that doesn't have its spell of rough patches. I think this team is just really, really talented and really, really deep and most teams just can't match that. They can withstand some shaky spots. I would hope at this time of year that there are a bunch of things to work on before March. I didn't think BYU would come within 10-15 points of GU, but with a conference opponent, anything is possible.

MickMick
02-02-2017, 09:52 PM
I've watched a lot of College BBall this year and haven't seen any team that doesn't have its spell of rough patches. I think this team is just really, really talented and really, really deep and most teams just can't match that. They can withstand some shaky spots. I would hope at this time of year that there are a bunch of things to work on before March. I didn't think BYU would come within 10-15 points of GU, but with a conference opponent, anything is possible.

Your perspective would be entirely different if GU had simply shot their team average from the free throw line.

GrizZAG
02-02-2017, 09:52 PM
In this particular game it's difficult to see logical normal perspective IMO. So many adversities to deal with for our team. The insane crowd, questionable officiating, a bag of Carmel corn thrown on the floor and dirty play just to get started. How the heck can our guys keep their composure playing in some kind of carnival of freaks like that?
BYU kept its reputation in tact tonight.

We will beat them by 30 at home. I don't care for them, the coach nor their fans. Can you tell?

JPtheBeasta
02-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Winning ugly is a skill.

MDABE80
02-02-2017, 09:58 PM
We looked like chit for about 10 minutes in the 2nd half. BYU picked it up. We could have easily lost this one..we lost a big big lead and it dwindled to 8 pts with 4 mins to go. I thought there would be collapse.. Glad I was wrong. Uncertainty, fear, bad passing, TO's defense fell apart.
BYU is a very hard team at their place. 12 and 1 there this year. Nigel saved this one but not all by himself. JW3 got back into it as did Collins. Fantastic finish for the kids when they finally dug in and worked hard. Love this team. There's a reason Nigel is in the top 5 for the Cousy award. He's unflappable. Just had a dry spell.

I think the fouling situation was a lot better than the numbers show. Home cookin a bit but not fatal. Now we have SMC there and BYU home. We could go the distance. I wouldn't be sleeping on USF either.

Mantua
02-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Your perspective would be entirely different if GU had simply shot their team average from the free throw line.

Great point.

They seemed a little tired tonight.

ProVeeZag
02-02-2017, 10:03 PM
We looked like chit for about 10 minutes in the 2nd half. BYU picked it up. We could have easily lost this one..we lost a big big lead and it dwindled to 8 pts with 4 mins to go. I thought there would be collapse.. Glad I was wrong. Uncertainty, fear, bad passing, TO's defense fell apart.
BYU is a very hard team at their place. 12 and 1 there this year. Nigel saved this one but not all by himself. JW3 got back into it as did Collins. Fantastic finish for the kids when they finally dug in and worked hard. Love this team. There's a reason Nigel is in the top 5 for the Cousy award. He's unflappable. Just had a dry spell.

I think the fouling situation was a lot better than the numbers show. Home cookin a bit but not fatal. Now we have SMC there and BYU home. We could go the distance. I wouldn't be sleeping on USF either.

Yep, there weren't many calls I would quarrel with, although one on Karno was clearly "all ball". Overall, a decently officiated game considering the venue and the raucous crowd.

Hoopaholic
02-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Yep, there weren't many calls I would quarrel with, although one on Karno was clearly "all ball". Overall, a decently officiated game considering the venue and the raucous crowd.

Tille block was perfectly clean

Byu hip checks on perimeter were ignored all night

Mathews was hammered on 3 of his shots no call

TexasZagFan
02-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Great point.

They seemed a little tired tonight.

Altitude? If so, would rather have first two rounds in Sacramento.

bartruff1
02-02-2017, 10:10 PM
I was surprised that Gonzaga would give up 49 points in a half....credit to BYU ...heck of a game, I suspect it was a moral victory for them and they will be better for it...

jazzdelmar
02-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I was surprised that Gonzaga would give up 49 points in a half....credit to BYU ...heck of a game, I suspect it was a moral victory for them and they will be better for it...

Rose sure looked pleased after the game

Hoopaholic
02-02-2017, 10:13 PM

This was the real issue to break film down and adjust

ProVeeZag
02-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Tille block was perfectly clean

Byu hip checks on perimeter were ignored all night

Mathews was hammered on 3 of his shots no call

Agreed-Tillie block was clean. But are you saying there was not a single erroneous call that went against BYU the entire game? Some things tend to offset.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2017, 10:24 PM
I think other teams will play the 1 3 1 the way BYU did against the Zags. don't remember any other team playing that against GU this year. thought GU handled it better after initial stumbles. Perkins with no turnovers again when others had the shakes good to see to complement Nigel in that zoo in Provo

CDC84
02-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Fortunately they held BYU to 36% shooting and under 30% from three ball land. But GU did foul a lot. The defense was pretty darn good in the first half. That helped in the end.

A 1-3-1 zone is just bizarre to play against.

maynard g krebs
02-03-2017, 12:43 AM

.706 this game, v season .744. Shooting their average would have added a point to the total.

ZagaZags
02-03-2017, 01:08 AM
Rose sure looked pleased after the game

BYU covered the 10.5 point spread.

Mantua
02-03-2017, 05:18 AM
It was a road game against a very physical team in the most hostile environment in the WCC following the recently jammed schedule and the #1 ranking media blast. It's only the second game this year we fans have reacted to as if it were a loss, but...23-0.

I'll take it!

St. Mary's had a closer call last against Pacific. 74-70

Birddog
02-03-2017, 05:32 AM
BYU did a very good job of making things very unpretty. BYU's style of play makes the game a Wagner opera while most of the rest of the WCC teams allow the Zags to look like they are in Swan Lake.

ZagMan in Philly
02-03-2017, 05:58 AM
In this particular game it's difficult to see logical normal perspective IMO. So many adversities to deal with for our team. The insane crowd, questionable officiating, a bag of Carmel corn thrown on the floor and dirty play just to get started. How the heck can our guys keep their composure playing in some kind of carnival of freaks like that?
BYU kept its reputation in tact tonight.

We will beat them by 30 at home. I don't care for them, the coach nor their fans. Can you tell?

GU fans at the game disrupted their pregame ritual prayer with chants "We are GU". We have hardcore fans around the country.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Foul trouble also forced us to sub frequently and be a little cautious on D.

titopoet
02-03-2017, 06:10 AM
The basketball enthusiast/scholar in me continues watching this zags team and does not know fully what to think... are we this good, or is the WCC this bad? I know basketball--- i know we play very good defense, we have very good interior defense, NWG is great, we have great balance, have shooters, but man there are times when we honestly dont look that fantastic. There were many spurts this year where i dont think we look good--- yet we either blow out a team, or we beat BYU in Provo by 10. Tonight do i think we looked good? No not really. So many careless turnovers.. Yet we win @ provo... a notoriously tough place to play. Is the WCC that bad this year? I know BYU is down, St Marys biggest win is @ Dayton (another tough place to play), but Dayton is a bit down this year...

Maybe a little bit of both? Its weird to say this about a 23-0 team, but i would like to see more consistency. We either look amazing, or look bleh.

PS Mathews has got to get his swag/confidence/mental game back. To make a run we need his shooting. He has been around 20% from 3 his last 8. Gotta really cut down on the dumb turnovers. Cant do that against a Kansas, Kentucky, any top team and expect to win.

Judging by the National Media responds to last night's game, GU is an elite team and one of the favorites going into March. While Mark Few has not said this is his best team, there is really no doubt that this is his best defense team ever. The effort on the both ends from this team is so great. 23-0 and Kenpom has GU at one for a reason. Yeah they missed open looks and BYU played their hearts out in front of a loud crowd, but GU showed why they are on top of the college basketball world.

Also, Kentucky and Kansas playing GU would have to bring their A games to beat GU and if GU plays to their potential neither pose much of a threat because of both are flawed. Kansas doesn't have the forecourt to match the Zags and Kentucky doesn't have the experience and the mental game. In their tight games the wildcats faded faster than daisy soaking in mule urine. It is the Villanovas and Baylors of the world I would be worried about. Experienced teams with tough mental games.

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2017, 06:30 AM
This thread and the "win is a win" thread are akin to the Marv Marinovich of message board threads. Nothing is ever good enough for some of you and you demand perfection and take no joy in the good things that this team does. They just went into one of the most hostile environments in front of 20k rabid fans and won by double digits. Enjoy this team folks, we may never see another one like it.

GoZags
02-03-2017, 06:31 AM
GU fans at the game disrupted their pregame ritual prayer with chants "We are GU". We have hardcore fans around the country.

From what I've read the "We are GU" chant started before the prayer began and stopped once they realized what was going on .... but the first part of the prayer was with the cheer and the latter part the entire crowd was silent.

They quieted as soon as they realized that
19,300 other in attendance were silent. It took a few of them a little longer to realize what was going on, but they all stopped by the middle of the prayer.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=17332149

BayAreaZagFan
02-03-2017, 06:49 AM
Foul trouble also forced us to sub frequently and be a little cautious on D.

This was actually one of the things that I was most impressed with. Their depth and composure came through as the fouls started to pile up. Past teams would have been in trouble and probably gotten run out of the building in a similar situation.

I was concerned going into the game about how they would react to the pressure of a mid-season #1 ranking. They did come out a little tight - a lot of shots came up short of their mark. They settled down somewhat, but I think the BYU D did a great job of keeping them off their game. Also, as annoying as a lot of them were to watch on TV, I thought the crowd (mostly the students, I'm guessing) did a great job of keeping up that "hostile atmosphere" reputation. Another also - I can fully understand why they weren't hitting their free throws like they have all season - that sea of white behind the baskets was distracting as h---. Considering that a lot of the gyms that they play in in the WCC don't even have seating behind the baskets, I thought they handled it pretty well.

All in all, a good test that they passed well.

former1dog
02-03-2017, 06:53 AM
This thread and the "win is a win" thread are akin to the Marv Marinovich of message board threads.

Um, I started that thread. If you don't know, you should that I'm die hard, bleed Gonzaga blue and yes formerly a student athlete at Gonzaga. With that said, you can't be delusional and say... Oh, those unforced turnovers were great! Or, I sure liked how we couldn't get the ball into the post like we've been doing for 22 other games this season!

Do you think Coach Few is looking at this performance with an uncritical eye and going, "Oh, that was fantastic guys!"?

Stop being so argumentative when folks want to make posts that contain constructive criticism. These types of posts makes us a more informed fan base.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 07:17 AM
From what I've read the "We are GU" chant started before the prayer began and stopped once they realized what was going on .... but the first part of the prayer was with the cheer and the latter part the entire crowd was silent.

That Cougar Board is a lot tougher to navigate than this one.

BayAreaZagFan
02-03-2017, 07:23 AM

Agreed. There's some good stuff on there, but you have to work harder than you should to get to it.

scott257
02-03-2017, 07:36 AM
I think other teams will play the 1 3 1 the way BYU did against the Zags. don't remember any other team playing that against GU this year. thought GU handled it better after initial stumbles. Perkins with no turnovers again when others had the shakes good to see to complement Nigel in that zoo in Provo

The advantage is, that now we have seen it, this team and the coaching staff will adjust. Nigel was making bank breaking it and you can bet that others will get it figured out too.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Agreed. There's some good stuff on there, but you have to work harder than you should to get to it.

I would assume that they have had the format a long time and if they changed it up, the posters would revolt. But yes, it's a terrible format to navigate. I always assume I am doing something wrong when I am there. Maybe you are suppose to use the arrows or something to keep expanding the conversation.

kitzbuel
02-03-2017, 07:38 AM

Apparently the impropriety generated a letter to their school administrators

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=17332687
;)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

hooter73
02-03-2017, 08:00 AM

;)

Oh bite me. They printed instructions on their plan to blind free throw shooters with flashlights from behind the basket. Holier than thou jerkoffs

krozman
02-03-2017, 08:03 AM
BYU played them great. Only thing I was grinding my teeth over were the free throws being missed by GU.

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 08:28 AM

;)

Isn't that the type of letter we want? It said that it was likely due to the fact no one could hear the announcement.

I had a hard time figuring out (whether it could be true) that the fans would cheer through a prayer, and I think this explains it - makes sense. I can't conceive of a large group of GU fans being disrespectful of a prayer. I can see a large group surprised and have a prayer 2/3 over before they figure out what's happening.

CDC84
02-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Judging by the National Media responds to last night's game, GU is an elite team and one of the favorites going into March

That's surprising being that GU didn't really play a great game. Then again, maybe that's why they are saying this....they recognized that GU wasn't at its best, and yet they still led the whole way and won by double digits.

They printed instructions on their plan to blind free throw shooters with flashlights from behind the basket.

Is this really true? Can this be found on the net? If so, it ought to be turned into league officials. Fans can't do that just like they can't use laser pens. It can result in a tech being called on the home team.

Regarding the 1-3-1, Nigel said after the game on ESPN that once they settled down, he just started attacking it one on one. With that masterful floater he has, that kind of defense in going to struggle against a crafty guard who can get into the cracks. Melson is good at doing this as well.

billyberu
02-03-2017, 08:41 AM
BYU covered the 10.5 point spread.
*snort*

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jagwalkley
02-03-2017, 08:56 AM

You hit the nail on the head with this one.We all love the Zags,but drink way to much

kool-aid

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 09:29 AM
You hit the nail on the head with this one.We all love the Zags,but drink way to much

kool-aid

No more than fans of other teams. For example, Arizona was just a few points up at halftime in Corvallis, and SMC was up by a point with about 3 minutes left at Pacific.

Completely agree that Mathews get back on track. He didn't appear to be missing badly, but enough to weigh on him mentally. Both missed FT's clanged off the back of the rim, so I'm not too concerned about that. It's tough to shake it off when you have 19,000 fans screaming at you.

He forced a layup when he wasn't in control, and bricked it.

MontanaCoyote
02-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Winning ugly is a skill.

And........'Momma said ther'd be [games] like this.'

MontanaCoyote
02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Oh bite me. They printed instructions on their plan to blind free throw shooters with flashlights from behind the basket. Holier than thou jerkoffs

Fair or not I think BYU fans believe God is on their side. If that's true they should remember Abe Lincoln's admonition;
'Best not assume God is on your side. Better to pray that he is."

2wiceright
02-03-2017, 10:01 AM
This thread and the "win is a win" thread are akin to the Marv Marinovich of message board threads. Nothing is ever good enough for some of you and you demand perfection and take no joy in the good things that this team does. They just went into one of the most hostile environments in front of 20k rabid fans and won by double digits. Enjoy this team folks, we may never see another one like it.

+1!!!

hooter73
02-03-2017, 10:14 AM
Is this really true? Can this be found on the net? If so, it ought to be turned into league officials. Fans can't do that just like they can't use laser pens. It can result in a tech being called on the home team.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58963-GAME-THREAD-vs-BYU&p=1279928#post1279928

tinfoilzag
02-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Regarding the 1-3-1, Nigel said after the game on ESPN that once they settled down, he just started attacking it one on one. With that masterful floater he has, that kind of defense in going to struggle against a crafty guard who can get into the cracks. Melson is good at doing this as well.

I'm glad we saw it last night, it should help prepare for the next time someone uses it. It really disrupts GU from reversing the ball which gets us open 3's or a good entry pass. It was one of the few times this year where a scheme really screwed with the offense.

Any gurus know if the dribble drive is the counter to the 1-3-1? It also seems that Shem ends up 1-on-1 at the free throw line in that defense. He took advantage of it once with a nice drive but didn't seem to look to shoot the jumper.

Hoopaholic
02-03-2017, 10:28 AM
I'm glad we saw it last night, it should help prepare for the next time someone uses it. It really disrupts GU from reversing the ball which gets us open 3's or a good entry pass. It was one of the few times this year where a scheme really screwed with the offense.

Any gurus know if the dribble drive is the counter to the 1-3-1? It also seems that Shem ends up 1-on-1 at the free throw line in that defense. He took advantage of it once with a nice drive but didn't seem to look to shoot the jumper.

Imagine will see Williams and Shem reversed if we see this again..Williams much better off the bounce

Tille also got to see this for first time in live game action so will be better prepared next time

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-03-2017, 10:31 AM
.706 this game, v season .744. Shooting their average would have added a point to the total.

plus Matthews and Melson were a combined 3-17, which won't likely happen again.

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Imagine will see Williams and Shem reversed if we see this again..Williams much better off the bounce

Tille also got to see this for first time in live game action so will be better prepared next time

Against really any zone... if the ball is swung from side to side a time or two, the zone tends to get distorted,
especially since they have to extend out on our good perimeter shooters... Once the zone is distorted, gaps get
bigger, and dribble penetration, or penetration with the pass is much easier... Nigel solved it quite a few
times down the stretch.

If you remember back to Orlando, the Zags struggled with the Iowa State half court trap defense too, especially
in the second half... these Zags and these Zag coaches will figure this out.
this is all

MickMick
02-03-2017, 10:46 AM
plus Matthews and Melson were a combined 3-17, which won't likely happen again.

I guess I worded it wrong.

If Mathews and Melson were better than 3-17, the perspective would be different. Very different.

The "gotcha" semantics can be occasionally effective. One must be very precise in such things here.

seacatfan
02-03-2017, 10:50 AM
No more than fans of other teams. For example, Arizona was just a few points up at halftime in Corvallis, and SMC was up by a point with about 3 minutes left at Pacific.

Arizona was down 2 at halftime. Also Oregon only beat Arizona St. by 1 last night and the game was in Eugene.

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
It's really cool seeing the number of posters here who rarely post. So good to hear from various viewpoints.

jim77
02-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Playing BYU in their place is like wading into a mud pit with dress whites on. You don't send them to the cleaners....you don't put extra shout on them....you throw them away and move on. Don't talk about how dirty the mud is. Take the "W". 23-0...Sweeeet.

Bogozags
02-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Playing BYU in their place is like wading into a mud pit with dress whites on. You don't send them to the cleaners....you don't put extra shout on them....you throw them away and move on. Don't talk about how dirty the mud is. Take the "W". 23-0...Sweeeet.

I agree with everything you said...it is a "W" and walk away with 23-0; however, as an ex-sailor, think I'd still keep those dress whites and just wash them two or three times to get the filth out!

GO ZAGS...24-0 tonight!

bartruff1
02-04-2017, 06:56 AM
Use the "Categories " drop box and click on men's basketball and that eliminate all the other subjects that you are not interested in...

bballbeachbum
02-04-2017, 10:29 AM
The advantage is, that now we have seen it, this team and the coaching staff will adjust. Nigel was making bank breaking it and you can bet that others will get it figured out too.

good call, agree. I thought the Zags actually figured it out during the game, tried to allude to that in my post, with both NWG and JP attacking the gaps after swinging the ball, Zags getting fouled a lot. Zags need to make late FTs with the lead to finish teams off, old equation for any basketball game that always applies