PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio GU-You know who!

Section 116
02-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Hudson:GU remains undefeated with a hardfought 85-75 win. With the style BYU plays they are never really out of it. On 4 separate occasions the Cougars got the lead to single digits but the Zags had an answer every time. Santangelo noted in this hostile environment against a team that really wanted to get a statement win, the win for GU was huge, plus it set the record for consecutive wins at 23. NWG with 33, Williams with 12, Perkins with 11. Haws with 29 for BYU, Mika with 15, Childs with 11. GU holds BYU to 36% shooting. Zags finish at 46% cooling off some from the first half. GU wins the boards 47-34 with Williams Karnowski and Collins each with 8 and NWG with 7.

Michaelson: Very difficult place to play when this place is rockin like it was tonight. Can't say enough about NWG in the second half. We had absolutely nothing going and Nigel just took over. When BYU hits those transition threes it feels like the whole place is caving in on you. We had zero turnovers in the last 7 minuets with Perkins and NWG handling the ball. We have met every challenge. We just focus on the next game. Nothing beyond that. This was just a big road win for us. This was a must have for us and we have another big road game coming up but we are just focusing on our next game, that's it.

Santangelo: JW3 really set the tone tonight as BYU came out and thought they were going to shove JW3 around and that is not going to happen. Hudson: When BYU cut the lead to nine and if felt like the roof was coming down NWG just took over and scored nine straight. He had all the answers. Haws did hit back to back threes after that and the lead was down to 6 but JW3 had an answer and moved it back up to 10. BYU got it to 8 again and the place was really rockin and NWG hit another big time shot to move it to 73-62. At 76-70 NWG and Collins the free throws down the stretch. They had no field goals in the last 2:30 or so but after a kind of rough night from the line the made the big ones at the end of the game. Defensively when the Zags needed a play they made it. Not just with a steal or rebound, but when they did they turned them into points. BYU did force Karnowksi into 5 TO's tonight and the Zags had 14, the most in the last half dozen games as 10 was the most recently. BYU only had 9 TO's but Mika had 5 matching Karnowski. Mika had 15 points but it took him 15 shots. That's about it for tonight.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2017, 09:41 PM
excellent report as always, thanks
Nigel awesome!! but agree that more than just Nigel played well tonight, nice to hear the props given

jazzdelmar
02-02-2017, 09:46 PM
I must have seen another game. To cite no turnovers in the last seven minutes and not the 14 earlier is gold standard coachspeak spin. He's ready for his own team.

Section 116
02-02-2017, 09:56 PM
I believe Michaelson's point regarding the turnovers was, when the game was on the line late, Perkins and NWG did a remarkable job of handling the ball when the pressure was really ratcheting up. That being said, I certainly have no problem with your opinion. That's one of the purposes of a message board.

jazzdelmar
02-02-2017, 09:57 PM
I believe Michaelson's point regarding the turnovers was, when the game was on the line late, Perkins and NWG did a remarkable job of handling the ball when the pressure was really ratcheting up. That being said, I certainly have no problem with your opinion. That's one of the purposes of a message board.

Thx 116. Great job per usual.

ProVeeZag
02-02-2017, 09:59 PM

I'm thinking the 14 turnovers earlier is what caused the game to be on the line late. For stretch there, we were flinging the ball around like it was a live grenade.

Goshzagit
02-02-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking the 14 turnovers earlier is what caused the game to be on the line late. For stretch there, we were flinging the ball around like it was a live grenade.

Halftime talk was how to play hot potato...

bballbeachbum
02-02-2017, 10:12 PM
missed FTs on the road with a lead left the door open imo

billyberu
02-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Thx 116. Great job per usual.
You know, the sort of steely composure while playing down the stretch that comes in handy come tournament time.

Breathe Jazz...enjoy the journey.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ballguy
02-02-2017, 11:21 PM
missed FTs on the road with a lead left the door open imo

I agree.