PDA

View Full Version : This team is like no other team that we've ever had

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Previous Zags teams would have collapsed under the weight of the crowd and the pressure, but not this team. This team has the "it" factor. So much heart, such a will to win. Not to mention the best player in the country, NWG.

kitzbuel
02-02-2017, 09:26 PM
NWG is in the doorway of the Pantheon of the best GU guards.

seacatfan
02-02-2017, 09:29 PM
It looked to me like many of the players did wilt under the pressure of the moment, but NWG just wasn't going to let them lose. The reason this team is different than previous additions of GU is NWG.

thespywhozaggedme
NWG is in the doorway of the Pantheon of the best GU guards.

I would say best player ever, not just guards. Of course Burgess and Stockton were before my time.

BayAreaZagFan
Depth. Maturity. Confidence. Talent in so many different ways. And all without sacrificing what makes all of us love this team. Every one of the a great player and a great person.

hooter73
02-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Bouldin had the same skill set, Pangos had the heart, but there is something about NWG where he just makes the smart, simple, easy play time and again and it works time and again. Why others can't do it, I don't know. Its not like he's Morrisoning on insane out of this world no look bank shot threes, hes just simply a better player than everyone else. Amazing kid.

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2017, 09:35 PM
It looked to me like many of the players did wilt under the pressure of the moment, but NWG just wasn't going to let them lose. The reason this team is different than previous additions of GU is NWG.

Agreed, he has swagger in spades. He literally carried the team on his back and willed them to win. And they follow his lead. I honestly think we're going to see our first final four this year fellas.

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Bouldin had the same skill set, Pangos had the heart, but there is something about NWG where he just makes the smart, simple, easy play time and again and it works time and again. Why others can't do it, I don't know. Its not like he's Morrisoning on insane out of this world no look bank shot threes, hes just simply a better player than everyone else. Amazing kid.

Spot on!

bigblahla
02-02-2017, 10:21 PM

Add Stepp's Intellect...

IMO best guard in the country...unflappable...

Go!! Zags!!!

CDC84
02-02-2017, 10:24 PM
As long as Nigel was out there, I never felt this team was going to blow the game tonight. The other thing that is totally different with this GU team is their defense. Despite letting Haws go a little crazy, the Zags held BYU to 36% shooting and under 30% on threes. As we all know, defense travels. A lot of previous GU teams wouldn't have defended as well as this team did tonight, even though they have had better defensive games this year.

Nigel has the whole package. Outside shooting might be his biggest weakness, but he's still a 37% three point shooter. That's better than what Dickau and Stepp used to give up defensively. Both of those guys were major defensive liabilities on the floor (although with Blake it just wasn't his fault - he had no knees). Nigel is an above average point of attack defensive guard.

Zags11
02-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Nwg put the squad on his back.

Malastein
02-03-2017, 01:11 AM
I am beginning to think that he's the guy we should be worried about leaving early for the NBA. He's really expanding his game, and is the focal point for the number 1 ranked and last undefeated team in college basketball. His game is complete, and he's got great size for the position. He's playing like a first rounder, and he'll most certainly start generating more draft buzz as the season wears on. A deep run in the tournament could even cement him a spot in the lottery. In the next month, I'd expect for this topic to hit a roaring level. His play has earned this discussion.

ZagMan in Philly
02-03-2017, 02:40 AM
I am beginning to think that he's the guy we should be worried about leaving early for the NBA. He's really expanding his game, and is the focal point for the number 1 ranked and last undefeated team in college basketball. His game is complete, and he's got great size for the position. He's playing like a first rounder, and he'll most certainly start generating more draft buzz as the season wears on. A deep run in the tournament could even cement him a spot in the lottery. In the next month, I'd expect for this topic to hit a roaring level. His play has earned this discussion.

Agree with you on this. He reminds me of Isaiah Thomas of the Celtics. Just an amazing player that can take over the game.

MileHigh
02-03-2017, 05:01 AM

He will leave after this year for two simple reasons, the first being that he has spent 4 years in college and has his degree. The second reason is that his draft stock will not go any higher if he stays. If they see him as a second rounder now he will be a second rounder next year. NBA looks at potential and ceiling and that wont change if he comes back. He is a smart kid and I am sure he understands that he may have to go the D-League route or maybe oversees before he sees the NBA, but I am sure he also realizes that playing another year in college will just delay his professional career and wont help it one bit.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 05:16 AM
He will leave after this year for two simple reasons, the first being that he has spent 4 years in college and has his degree. The second reason is that his draft stock will not go any higher if he stays. If they see him as a second rounder now he will be a second rounder next year. NBA looks at potential and ceiling and that wont change if he comes back. He is a smart kid and I am sure he understands that he may have to go the D-League route or maybe oversees before he sees the NBA, but I am sure he also realizes that playing another year in college will just delay his professional career and wont help it one bit.

As others have posted, Nigel's likely to make more money overseas. There aren't very many success stories coming out of playing in the D-League, though Yogi Ferrell has made a splash with the Mavericks.

zag67
02-03-2017, 05:17 AM
MileHigh great comments.

I have always thought he was a solid player, but last night he showed me the little extra. He did put the team on his back and the team was smart enough to realize he was doing it and got him the ball. That was an unbelievable effort in a unfriendly 22,000 person arena.

Great game to Nigel and the rest of the team.. Go Zags.

ZagMan in Philly
02-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Celtics GM BYU great AInge was at the game, he took notice of NWG for sure.

jazzdelmar
02-03-2017, 05:55 AM

100%, Mile.....

MTZag03
02-03-2017, 06:53 AM

I agree with this sentiment. Same thing as Kelly I. Degree in hand and no change to potential sums it up well.

former1dog
02-03-2017, 06:57 AM

Yep, unfortunately you're correct. He's gotten out of college what one is supposed to get, a degree and the opportunity for success in his chosen profession. Not a lot of great reasons to stay, that is unless he decides he wants to be an NCAA champion, something very few people on the planet ever get to say.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Who knows...maybe NWG will move to Harvard as a graduate transfer, and finish his masters degree, while putting up POY numbers there. From there, he'll be hired at Goldman Sachs, and make far more money than he could in professional basketball.

Twenty years on, he'll be tabbed as the Secretary of State, as a result of working with all of the international players who played at GU.

EEzag
02-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Although scouts usually don't reevaluate potential, this year's class is loaded. He might go higher by virtue of not as many Fab Freshman next year. He's a heady-dude, all options will be evaluated I'm sure. If nothing else, we have become a #1 destination for top level transfers.

bigblahla
02-03-2017, 07:51 AM
QUOTABLE

''William-Goss just kind of controlled that game,'' BYU coach Dave Rose said. ''He had a pace to him and confidence to him where every time you make a run, he had an answer. He plays at a really comfortable pace for him. He's hard to get sped up. Some of the other guys we could speed them a little bit and maybe get a turnover or bad pass or quick shot.

''He's the one guy that held that thing together and controlled it and made big plays.''

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/game/1690274

Go!! Zags!!!

Zaga
02-03-2017, 08:11 AM

Completely agree with your post. Nigel is a very smart and fearless point guard. His game last night was special and deserving of Zag praise and that of CBB.

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Completely agree with your post. Nigel is a very smart and fearless point guard. His game last night was special and deserving of Zag praise and that of CBB.

That made me really happy for him. He had his best game (so far) in front of the largest audience, right after the No. 1 ranking, tough challenge. He responded.

He is so special.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 08:22 AM

There lies the value of having Burger Boys on your squad, i.e. elite players who are experienced at being "The Man." Zach grew leaps and bounds last night: got burned early by Mika, but adjusted and upped his play during the second half. The rest of our rotation all have experience in being star players, but have become supreme team players...we are really blessed.

Hoopaholic
02-03-2017, 08:44 AM

I agree on the offensive end

Defensively he struggled with guard penetration, assignments during fast break and losing man in half court setting, watched one of byu highlight videos and 7 of the made buckets were due to defensive lapse by NWG....for example defensive transition on byu fast break byu player in right corner with ball was picked up by Perkins to defend ball..NWG next guard down knowing the flow Haws to ball for fast break shot NWG left the elbow extended three point line to go double the ball leaving haws a wide open 3 ball that he hit

If we are going to make deep run these types of lapses cannot occur

Virginia Zags Fan
02-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Two games I am most worried about: SMC on the road and BYU in the kennel on Senior Night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Malastein
02-03-2017, 10:37 AM
There's no way in hell he won't be in the NBA sooner than people are thinking. He's developed his game to the point that he is playing at that level. He won't be playing in Europe or the D league. That's where he seemed to be headed at the beginning of the season, but he's taken his game to another level the past couple months, and NBA scouts will most certainly notice and re-evaluate his potential. He's not the fastest, most athletic guy but he's also not deficient in those regards either. He also has great size for the position and is showing off a higher level of maturity in his game. The spotlight is certainly on him more now than ever before, and he is still performing at greater and greater levels. If he continues, he'll be a first round and potential fringe lottery pick this year. Especially if Zags go Final Four or beyond.

ZagMan in Philly
02-03-2017, 10:42 AM
There's no way in hell he won't be in the NBA sooner than people are thinking. He's developed his game to the point that he is playing at that level. He won't be playing in Europe or the D league. That's where he seemed to be headed at the beginning of the season, but he's taken his game to another level the past couple months, and NBA scouts will most certainly notice and re-evaluate his potential. He's not the fastest, most athletic guy but he's also not deficient in those regards either. He also has great size for the position and is showing off a higher level of maturity in his game. The spotlight is certainly on him more now than ever before, and he is still performing at greater and greater levels. If he continues, he'll be a first round and potential fringe lottery pick this year. Especially if Zags go Final Four or beyond.

He is also climbing up the national player of the year honor. He was in 5th place. Will be the favorite if he can lead his team to the NCAA title.

zag67
02-03-2017, 04:21 PM
19,xxx people and on national TV. Great game and I look forward to watching all of them for the rest of this year. Then wait and see for next year. After the NBA draft dates and we know who is going, then we can start dreaming again. I am just looking forward to the rest of league, then WCC tournament, and lastly NCAA.

2wiceright
02-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Any struggle Nigel had on the defensive end I think you can look back now and realize he did all this with a badly sprained ankle…

I don't know how he did it but defensively is the only place it showed a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkr

Virginia Zags Fan
02-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Winning at the D1 level is so fragile. Will it continue? Can't say. But this team is 24-0. What a ride. We are soooooo fortunate to be watching this team. This historic journey. No matter how it ends, it has been special already.

Can you believe we only have 6 league games left, then the tourney? It has gone so quick. The upcoming game with SMC will be epic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MickMick
02-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Best Gonzaga team ever. No matter what happens in the post season crap shoot.

If they don't make the final four it is because they will get stuck playing Oregon in the regional final. Even then, they will challenge the perimeter shooting enough to make a "toss up" game of it.