• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Win is a win

But that was a poor 2nd half for the good guys.

Not sure why the 1 3 1 zone precludes our normal offense of playing inside out, but it appeared we went away from it to our detriment.
  • Virginia Zags Fan
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Nov 2009

Agree 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Jordan Mathews is channeling his inner Matt Carlino. . .
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• 23dpg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I think there were only 3 or 4 fgs made in the second half by the entire team minus NWG. Really perplexing.
        Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Two things...

First... BYU came to play in the second half.
          Second... Cougars seemed determined that Mathews wasn't going to get good looks. Noticed it early in the first half and it didn't stop.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• ProVeeZag
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2011

I was impressed with how hard BYU worked on defense ... didn't think they had that kind of effort in them. We were clearly confused with the ball trapping out on top (other than Williams-Goss). We settled for so many poor quality shots in 2nd half. The turnovers were, for the most part, unforced.

So there are things to learn from this outing that will help us down the road. Others will study this game film and try to replicate what Cougars accomplished on defense. It's a good road win in a very tough venue. Will be good to get back to McCarthey this Saturday.
            "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
            —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

OTOH, one could say that it looked like a routine game for a number one on the road, tough environment, lots of fouls, BYU playing its best game, by far, that I've seen - and muscle through with a 10 pt win when no one other than Nigel had a good night.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• Ezag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

BYU played hard in their house as you would expect. Goss was stellar all game and was clutch most of the 2nd half. He needs some team help in the "Clutch" dept

Comment

• MickMick
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Zags were great. No complaints.

* They needed to face some slap happy Bull %^& in preparation for post season. Emery has no defensive skill. He is a hatchet man and should have fouled out.
                  * Free throw shooting is not easy against that sea of white. On a neutral court, Zags make their free throws and win the game by 20.
                  * Haws was unconscious. He will not shoot like that again for the rest of the season.
                  * When GU decided to double Mika, they rendered him ineffective, although Childs did make them pay. Good strategy to make Childs beat you instead of Mika.
                  * The team is learning at a sub conscious level that Goss must carry them through chaos. The rule of thumb should be that after every unforced turnover, Goss should drive and shoot on the next possession. That is how you stop the team from unraveling.

The team needed this. Well done. No complaints.
                  I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                    Second... Cougars seemed determined that Mathews wasn't going to get good looks. Noticed it early in the first half and it didn't stop.
                    good call, and then even the open ones he got later he missed

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2009

Thanks to BYU for giving us their best effort of the year. Our team needs to grind through a few of these rock fights to get ready for March.

I wish the Cougars had played like this in November and December when they could have built a respectable resume for an NCAA berth.
                      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• hooter73
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                        Jordan Mathews is channeling his inner Matt Carlino. . .
                        lol ouch

true though...

Comment

• kitzbuel
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                          OTOH, one could say that it looked like a routine game for a number one on the road, tough environment, lots of fouls, BYU playing its best game, by far, that I've seen - and muscle through with a 10 pt win when no one other than Nigel had a good night.
                          Yup. A good team playing on its home court with an amped crowd faced with a relatively poor Zag performance and they still go down by 10.
                          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                            Zags were great. No complaints.

* They needed to face some slap happy Bull %^& in preparation for post season.
                            * Free throw shooting is no easy against that sea of white. On a neutral court, Zags make their free throws and win the game by 20.
                            * Haws was unconscious. He will not shoot like that again for the rest of the season.
                            * When GU decided to double Mika, they rendered him ineffective, although Childs did make them pay. Good strategy to make Childs beat you instead of Mika.
                            * The team is learning at a sub conscious level that Goss must carry them through chaos. The rule of thumb should be that after every unforced turnover, Goss should drive and shoot on the next possession. That is how you stop the team from unraveling.

The team needed this. Well done. No complaints.
                            great post. agree on all

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                              Two things...

Cougars seemed determined that Mathews wasn't going to get good looks.
                              He was 2-10, 1-4 on 3FG.

Dude scares the hell out me. . .
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X