PDA

View Full Version : Win is a win

former1dog
02-02-2017, 09:21 PM
But that was a poor 2nd half for the good guys.

Not sure why the 1 3 1 zone precludes our normal offense of playing inside out, but it appeared we went away from it to our detriment.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Agree 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Jordan Mathews is channeling his inner Matt Carlino. . .

23dpg
02-02-2017, 09:25 PM
I think there were only 3 or 4 fgs made in the second half by the entire team minus NWG. Really perplexing.

LongIslandZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Two things...

First... BYU came to play in the second half.
Second... Cougars seemed determined that Mathews wasn't going to get good looks. Noticed it early in the first half and it didn't stop.

ProVeeZag
02-02-2017, 09:27 PM
I was impressed with how hard BYU worked on defense ... didn't think they had that kind of effort in them. We were clearly confused with the ball trapping out on top (other than Williams-Goss). We settled for so many poor quality shots in 2nd half. The turnovers were, for the most part, unforced.

So there are things to learn from this outing that will help us down the road. Others will study this game film and try to replicate what Cougars accomplished on defense. It's a good road win in a very tough venue. Will be good to get back to McCarthey this Saturday.

DixieZag
02-02-2017, 09:27 PM
OTOH, one could say that it looked like a routine game for a number one on the road, tough environment, lots of fouls, BYU playing its best game, by far, that I've seen - and muscle through with a 10 pt win when no one other than Nigel had a good night.

Ezag
02-02-2017, 09:28 PM
BYU played hard in their house as you would expect. Goss was stellar all game and was clutch most of the 2nd half. He needs some team help in the "Clutch" dept

MickMick
02-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Zags were great. No complaints.

* They needed to face some slap happy Bull %^& in preparation for post season. Emery has no defensive skill. He is a hatchet man and should have fouled out.
* Free throw shooting is not easy against that sea of white. On a neutral court, Zags make their free throws and win the game by 20.
* Haws was unconscious. He will not shoot like that again for the rest of the season.
* When GU decided to double Mika, they rendered him ineffective, although Childs did make them pay. Good strategy to make Childs beat you instead of Mika.
* The team is learning at a sub conscious level that Goss must carry them through chaos. The rule of thumb should be that after every unforced turnover, Goss should drive and shoot on the next possession. That is how you stop the team from unraveling.

The team needed this. Well done. No complaints.

bballbeachbum
Second... Cougars seemed determined that Mathews wasn't going to get good looks. Noticed it early in the first half and it didn't stop.

good call, and then even the open ones he got later he missed

Martin Centre Mad Man
Thanks to BYU for giving us their best effort of the year. Our team needs to grind through a few of these rock fights to get ready for March.

I wish the Cougars had played like this in November and December when they could have built a respectable resume for an NCAA berth.

hooter73

lol ouch :)

true though...

kitzbuel
OTOH, one could say that it looked like a routine game for a number one on the road, tough environment, lots of fouls, BYU playing its best game, by far, that I've seen - and muscle through with a 10 pt win when no one other than Nigel had a good night.

Yup. A good team playing on its home court with an amped crowd faced with a relatively poor Zag performance and they still go down by 10.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Zags were great. No complaints.

* They needed to face some slap happy Bull %^& in preparation for post season.
* Free throw shooting is no easy against that sea of white. On a neutral court, Zags make their free throws and win the game by 20.
* Haws was unconscious. He will not shoot like that again for the rest of the season.
* When GU decided to double Mika, they rendered him ineffective, although Childs did make them pay. Good strategy to make Childs beat you instead of Mika.
* The team is learning at a sub conscious level that Goss must carry them through chaos. The rule of thumb should be that after every unforced turnover, Goss should drive and shoot on the next possession. That is how you stop the team from unraveling.

The team needed this. Well done. No complaints.

great post. agree on all :cheers:

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Two things...

Cougars seemed determined that Mathews wasn't going to get good looks.

He was 2-10, 1-4 on 3FG.

Dude scares the hell out me. . .

TexasZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Collins with 8 rebounds, Silas 7. Thought we got away from the inside out in the second half. Won't be as shaky next time we see a 1-3-1 zone.

Hope BYU and their fans bring the same effort against SMC on 2/18.

Goshzagit
02-02-2017, 09:31 PM

He certainly played outside himself tonight.

Love his scrappy defense, & finding his 3pt shot.

But a couple of this mid range fadeways & runners aren't his game.

He also passed up several open 3pt shots for tougher shots.

Some of our turnovers were completely unforced, such as 3 airball passes out of bounds, & really poor shots.

Have to realize we cant give up free possessions to a BYU type team.

They can shorten a 10 pt lead to nothing in less than 60 secs.

We saw it happen 3 times tonight.

BayAreaZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Good test. They passed.

HenneZag
02-02-2017, 09:32 PM

Either on or off.
I don't want to shake up chemistry as Melson is solid off the bench. But Melson could start in his place and do just fine.

Hoopaholic
02-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Collins with 8 rebounds, Silas 7. Thought we got away from the inside out in the second half. Won't be as shaky next time we see a 1-3-1 zone.

Hope BYU and their fans bring the same effort against SMC on 2/18.

We saw no screen action against the heavy overload 1-3-1 wonder if kept in hip pocket for next game

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-02-2017, 09:33 PM
He was 2-10, 1-4 on 3FG.

Dude scares the hell out me. . .

He's been in a funk for weeks. I seem to remember Melson going through a similar stretch last year, but he seemed to come around right at the end of the season. Hopefully, Mathews can find his groove before we really need him.

DixieZag
02-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Thanks to BYU for giving us their best effort of the year. Our team needs to grind through a few of these rock fights to get ready for March.

I wish the Cougars had played like this in November and December when they could have built a respectable resume for an NCAA berth.

It's almost like a loss without the "L" next to your name.

Every guy there other than Nigel knows they didn't play well.

So, they sort of go back home with their tail between their legs, and the country looks up and sees a 10 pt road victory against BYU and says, "ok" and that's that.

asoc
02-02-2017, 09:40 PM
I was impressed by BYU's defense in the 2nd half.

Have to give them credit for making things difficult.
Although I wasn't happy with a few of the fouls that got called against Gonzaga.

NWG is amazing to watch. Such poise.

thespywhozaggedme
02-02-2017, 09:42 PM

So, they sort of go back home with their tail between their legs, and the country looks up and sees a 10 pt road victory against BYU and says, "ok" and that's that.

" tail between their legs?" are you kidding me? To play in front of 20,000 rabid fans and one of the most hostile environments in the country and still win by double digits when many on here were predicting this game as our first loss this pass the season and that's what you post. It's really disrespectful to the players.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2017, 09:43 PM
make 3 or four more of the FTs and it's very different. missing FTs in a hostile environment can come back to bite

JPtheBeasta
02-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Tonight I learned that the discussion about Mika being tougher than Sabonis by Cougar fans is a complete joke. Mika is the BYU archetype flop artist on defense. My own personal hell would be being forced to be a BYU fan and actually cheering for their "They Can't Call ALL the Hacks" defense and the "All Chuckers on Deck" offense. I need a Pepcid.

Hoopaholic
02-02-2017, 09:44 PM

So some who shoots 4 out of 5 shots. Gets 8 rebounds 2 steals 2 blocked shots and 12 points goes home with tail between his legs and didn't play well

Sorry but I completely disagree with that view

Hoopaholic
02-02-2017, 09:45 PM
" tail between their legs?" are you kidding me? To play in front of 20,000 rabid fans and one of the most hostile environments in the country and still win by double digits when many on here were predicting this game as our first loss this pass the season and that's what you post. It's really disrespectful to the players.

Thank you

TexasZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:47 PM

Wrong on all counts, Dixie. I don't care what the rest of the country thinks, that crowd was unbelievable. The Kennel Club needs to bring it like BYU did tonight.

Most of the previous #1s lost during their week on top of the perch.

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 09:47 PM
He's been in a funk for weeks. I seem to remember Melson going through a similar stretch last year, but he seemed to come around right at the end of the season. Hopefully, Mathews can find his groove before we really need him.

In his last six games, Jordan is 8-31 from 3FG. 25%.

We do need him. But he is trending in the wrong direction.

DixieZag
02-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Sigh.

Ok, spy. Whatever you say.

I've been saying it looked like a normal win for a number one team, but they had issues tonight that can get better.

I don't know of a single person that predicted a loss.

Maybe you're the one disrespecting our players. Because I think they were capable of even more.

Quit disrespecting the Zags. Or perhaps settle down a little.

DixieZag
02-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Evidently I wasn't "clear."

The almost like a loss was meant to refer to having lots to work on, while being very happy with the win - that's it.

As I've said in about 3 previous threads, it looked like a number one team going into a hostile crowd, BYU playing its best game of the year, our guys not having a "great" game, other than Nigel, and go home with a 10 pt win, like a number one should do.

U Zig, I Zag
02-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Great win.

On the road, new number 1. Not that we didn't know it, but NWG is the 'go to guy'.

TO's were a bit disconcerning, but bound to happen.

Overall, a good challenge. BYU was very aggressive on D in the second half and the guys just stayed calm. No panic. They let NWG do his thing. Other guys stepped up with boards and key points.

Could have been a 30 point blow out, but so what. We got the win.

MDABE80
02-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Good post above Mick.
All posts on this are good. We haven't had a scare like this for quite some time. Maybe it's good.

ProVeeZag
02-02-2017, 10:05 PM
We saw no screen action against the heavy overload 1-3-1 wonder if kept in hip pocket for next game

Excellent observation, this. Hope you are correct.

CDC84
02-02-2017, 10:05 PM
The problem that poor Nigel has is that there are too many great PG's in the country right now. He's truly one of the best plays in the nation. His performance tonight was special. 33pts, 12-18fg, 7-7ft, 7 boards, 3 steals and 4 assists.

Some guys came up with some big stats. Collins with 8 boards and Melson with 7 boards coming off the pine. Perkins with zero TO's although the team's turnover happy performance kept BYU hanging around.

Mika was held to 15pts on 5-15 from the field. GU held BYU to 36% from the field and 27% from three. But they did commit a lot of fouls.

I was very disappointed that GU allowed Haws to rip them for 29 points. The Zags have not allowed an offensive player to torch them like that in quite awhile. I don't know if it was because GU was so focused on stopping Mika, but this defense shouldn't be allowing a player like that to score at will.

I NEVER felt the game was seriously in doubt with Nigel at the controls. I don't know if I have ever felt that way about a point guard under Few. Mark has had some special PG's, but none this complete.

I suppose I should be happier with a double digit win in that environment, but I was disappointed with tonight's performance. A number of guys were just plain mediocre, and GU failed several times to put the game away.

As others have been saying, Jordan Mathews needs to start hitting shots or I might be tempted to start Melson over him. Silas has found his shot. He's 39% from three, 46% overall, and 87% from the foul line. And he is GU's best perimeter defender and most athletic player along with J. Williams. I would hate to do anything to screw up this team's chemistry, but Jordan needs to start hitting shots because that is his primary responsibility on this team.

But has former says, a win is a win. It just could've been better.

MontanaCoyote
02-02-2017, 10:08 PM
BYU pressured and even doubled our guards. Clean passes out of those doubles were hard to come by. I think the defensive pressure bothered us. I don't think we saw that level of pressure until tonight.

For now I think this. For us to be a Final Four team, 1; Perkins, Melson, and Matthews must all play well, both on offense and defense. Can now assume that Goss will, but against better teams than BYU he will need more support than our other guards were able to provide tonight. 2; we will need to find a way to put the clamps on the kind of hot shooter Haws was tonight. I could be wrong and Haws was hot, but I think he was too open on several 3's. That could have killed us if we hadn't had a guard of our own that was even hotter. Haws is no where near the player Goss is, but sometimes it's
that guy whose primary skill is as a pure shooter who can kill you.

I think the rest will take care of itself

Hoopaholic
02-02-2017, 10:09 PM
The problem that poor Nigel has is that there are too many great PG's in the country right now. He's truly one of the best plays in the nation. His performance tonight was special. 33pts, 12-18fg, 7-7ft, 7 boards, 3 steals and 4 assists.

Some guys came up with some big stats. Collins with 8 boards and Melson with 7 boards coming off the pine. Perkins with zero TO's although the team's turnover happy performance kept BYU hanging around.

Mika was held to 15pts on 5-15 from the field. GU held BYU to 36% from the field and 27% from three. But they did commit a lot of fouls.

I was very disappointed that GU allowed Haws to rip them for 29 points. The Zags have not allowed an offensive player to torch them like that in quite awhile. I don't know if it was because GU was so focused on stopping Mika, but this defense shouldn't be allowing a player like that to score at will.

I NEVER felt the game was seriously in doubt with Nigel at the controls. I don't know if I have ever felt that way about a point guard under Few. Mark has had some special PG's, but none this complete.

I suppose I should be happier with a double digit win in that environment, but I was disappointed with tonight's performance. A number of guys were just plain mediocre, and GU failed several times to put the game away.

As others have been saying, Jordan Mathews needs to start hitting shots or I might be tempted to start Melson over him. Silas has found his shot. He's 39% from three, 46% overall, and 87% from the foul line. And he is GU's best perimeter defender and most athletic player along with J. Williams. I would hate to do anything to screw up this team's chemistry, but Jordan needs to start hitting shots because that is his primary responsibility on this team.

But has former says, a win is a win. It just could've been better.

I submit to you haws got many of his looks due to illegal hip checks on perimeter

We will change our chasing defense next game to avoid these illegal acts that freed haws up

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 10:12 PM
So: A Great Win, given the circumstances, but only 5 out of 10 on style points ??

Is that about it ?

Beat Santa Clara.

MontanaCoyote
02-02-2017, 10:15 PM
A win is a win. Maybe you always learn more losing than you do winning, but with these boys I think there were lots of lessons learned tonight without a loss. Can't ask for any more than that!

CDC84
02-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Good point Hoop....and sometimes guys just get hot. But he had some looks where a GU defender was nowhere near him.

Lots to learn from this game. And as Few has said, this group has the maturity to learn from their mistakes from wins. They don't need to lose a game.

I was happy with how the guys competed tonight. There were no slackers out there. GU matched BYU's energy and the energy from the crowd.

ProVeeZag
02-02-2017, 10:16 PM
As others have been saying, Jordan Mathews needs to start hitting shots or I might be tempted to start Melson over him.

My 2 cents worth: Matthews should continue to start, but with a shorter leash as to when he gets subbed out. That's a "middle" approach that sends the message without jerking the chain too hard. With a shooter, the switch could flip within 48 hours, especially in the cozy confines of McCarthey.

caduceus
02-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Good points in this thread. I also think also the crowd effect can't be underestimated. We all know the effect our Kennel Club brings at home. BYU's court holds almost four times as many fans, and they are rabid and organized.

As much as I hate playing that team, the value of a game like that as a learning experience is invaluable in the midst of the dregs of the WCC. I hope this game will energize the team come next week against a much tougher SMC.

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 10:21 PM
My 2 cents worth: Matthews should continue to start, but with a shorter leash as to when he gets subbed out. That's a "middle" approach that sends the message without jerking the chain too hard. With a shooter, the switch could flip within 48 hours, especially in the cozy confines of McCarthey.

Last time I looked, they don't play the NCAA tournament in the Mac. They play the games in big arenas (like the Marriott). . .Mathews' lease on life as a volume shooter is going to expire.

MickMick
02-02-2017, 10:29 PM
Mathews is losing confidence.

BYU did a good job of keeping a body on him at the perimeter, but Mathews pump faked an opening and then passed on his shot several times. On occasion that passed up shot ended with a teammate committing an unforced turnover. I will always prefer a shot, even a missed shot, over a turnover.

Few needed to recognize that when the referees were allowing Emery to slap away, the "extra pass" concept was adding additional risk.

Too many passed up shots that ended as unforced turnovers.

CDC84
02-02-2017, 10:34 PM
It's hard to make changes like this though when you're team is #1 and unbeaten.

Jordan shot 40%+ on threes in the Pac 12. He should be able to correct this.

bballbeachbum
02-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Mathews is losing confidence.

BYU did a good job of keeping a body on him at the perimeter, but Mathews pump faked an opening and then passed on his shot several times. On occasion that passed up shot ended with a teammate committing an unforced turnover. I will always prefer a shot, even a missed shot, over a turnover.

Few needed to recognize that when the referees were allowing Emery to slap away, the "extra pass" concept was adding additional risk.

Too many passed up shots that ended as unforced turnovers.

BYU great at taking away the first and second option tonight on their rotations, and the ball sticking in guards hands too long was bigger issue actually I thought. Ball movement was great and created gaps that NWG exploited as the Zags figured that zone out. On Mathews, he's even missing FTs right now. got to get him going again, run some consistent action for him or somethign to get him believing again

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Jordan shot 40%+ on threes in the Pac 12. He should be able to correct this.

We all pray that he either fixes it or takes fewer shots.

Birddog
02-03-2017, 04:37 AM

When he missed those free throws down the stretch the look on his face was one of no confidence. I hope he gets some MoJo back, and soon.

Outraged
02-03-2017, 05:28 AM
Playing at BYU is like playing with ankle weights against the guards in San Quentin.

jazzdelmar
02-03-2017, 05:51 AM

I have no prob with Josh getting Mathews' shots.......and I thought he was going to get a Wesley triple at the FT line....looks shaken; Few has been MORE than patient with him.......as long as Melson, if he replaces Mathews, doesn't think he's then the volume shooter....

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2017, 06:27 AM
Sigh.

Ok, spy. Whatever you say.

I've been saying it looked like a normal win for a number one team, but they had issues tonight that can get better.

I don't know of a single person that predicted a loss.

Maybe you're the one disrespecting our players. Because I think they were capable of even more.

Quit disrespecting the Zags. Or perhaps settle down a little.

Post #75 from Abe:

I'm not going to be sureprised if we lose 1 or 2 to BYU

Post #89 from Goshzagit:

Given BYU's strength is rebounding, which will only improve with Kaufusi's return, I have to think they beat us at least once.

Post #97 from you:

BYU is extremely capable of losing to Utah Valley at home and then walking into the Mac and beating us.

They can beat near anyone, and can lose to anyone. That's BYU's thing and always has been. Much depends on how the game is called, recall the number of turnovers we've had in certain games against them over the years. They are the most "hand-happy" team I've seen, slapping at everything. Sometimes it works and when it does, it's awful. Plus, they do have capable shooters and a very good front man.

We could lose to either SMC or BYU - I doubt anyone else in conference can clip us. I know it will drive me nuts if/when we get beat, but I don't think a team wants to go into the tourney undefeated. There's enough pressure already.

Post #100 from Gonzagafan62:

Do you really realize that BYU loses to the worst teams every year yet always finds a way to beat us once

Post #104 by goshzagit again:

Hate to admit that we'll be eating crow on BYU this season...

Post #217 by seacatfan:

If Zags keep sleep walking thru 1/2 or 3/4 of a game, they are going to lose for sure. Pepperdine and Pacific aren't exactly stellar teams but hung around with GU for a good chunk of the game. If they play with that lack of energy and sense of urgency against a BYU or SMC, they could find themselves down by 15+ at halftime.

Post #245 by jpthebeasta:

I don't see BYU or SMC sleeping on GU. That's an opponent teams get up for. Every team has bad games. SMC or BYU on a good day are significant threats, in my opinion.

Few said that in a hypothetical 30-game season there are ten games when you play above average, 10 when you play average, and 10 when you play below average. A below average Zag performance plus an above average BYU or SMC performance has a decent likelihood to equal a Zags loss.

Post #287 by cdc:

The road games at BYU and SMC.....I think one of those will result in a loss.

Post #289 by gonstu:

at byu is my biggest concern.

So yeah, a ton of people were predicting that we would lose to BYU

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58217-Do-we-lose-this-year/page13

Enjoy this team, you may never see another one like it

former1dog
02-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Post #75 from Abe:

I'm not going to be sureprised if we lose 1 or 2 to BYU

Post #89 from Goshzagit:

Given BYU's strength is rebounding, which will only improve with Kaufusi's return, I have to think they beat us at least once.

Post #97 from you:

BYU is extremely capable of losing to Utah Valley at home and then walking into the Mac and beating us.

They can beat near anyone, and can lose to anyone. That's BYU's thing and always has been. Much depends on how the game is called, recall the number of turnovers we've had in certain games against them over the years. They are the most "hand-happy" team I've seen, slapping at everything. Sometimes it works and when it does, it's awful. Plus, they do have capable shooters and a very good front man.

We could lose to either SMC or BYU - I doubt anyone else in conference can clip us. I know it will drive me nuts if/when we get beat, but I don't think a team wants to go into the tourney undefeated. There's enough pressure already.

Post #100 from Gonzagafan62:

Do you really realize that BYU loses to the worst teams every year yet always finds a way to beat us once

Post #104 by goshzagit again:

Hate to admit that we'll be eating crow on BYU this season...

Post #217 by seacatfan:

If Zags keep sleep walking thru 1/2 or 3/4 of a game, they are going to lose for sure. Pepperdine and Pacific aren't exactly stellar teams but hung around with GU for a good chunk of the game. If they play with that lack of energy and sense of urgency against a BYU or SMC, they could find themselves down by 15+ at halftime.

Post #245 by jpthebeasta:

I don't see BYU or SMC sleeping on GU. That's an opponent teams get up for. Every team has bad games. SMC or BYU on a good day are significant threats, in my opinion.

Few said that in a hypothetical 30-game season there are ten games when you play above average, 10 when you play average, and 10 when you play below average. A below average Zag performance plus an above average BYU or SMC performance has a decent likelihood to equal a Zags loss.

Post #287 by cdc:

The road games at BYU and SMC.....I think one of those will result in a loss.

Post #289 by gonstu:

at byu is my biggest concern.

So yeah, a ton of people were predicting that we would lose to BYU

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58217-Do-we-lose-this-year/page13

Enjoy this team, you may never see another one like it

Dude! Lighten up.

thespywhozaggedme
02-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Dude! Lighten up.

Whatchootalkinboutwillis??? I'm ecstatic. We're the #1 team in the country. I just rebutted Dixies claim with facts. Go Zags!

former1dog
02-03-2017, 06:43 AM
Whatchootalkinboutwillis???

:roll:

jazzdelmar
02-03-2017, 06:50 AM
This AM's 3 pt percents:

Josh 44%
Mathews 39%
Melson 39%
NWG 36%

DixieZag
02-03-2017, 07:02 AM
Whatchootalkinboutwillis??? I'm ecstatic. We're the #1 team in the country. I just rebutted Dixies claim with facts. Go Zags!

With facts stating that many posters discussed BYU being a tough game and that BYU [I]could [/I, as in has the ability, to ]beat us if we're not sharp?

Former1 had it right.

seacatfan
02-03-2017, 09:46 AM
Does everyone realize Melson was 1-7 from the floor last night? How is that any better than Mathews going 2-10? Same difference. Mathews is the designated whipping boy this year it seems like.

TexasZagFan
02-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Does everyone realize Melson was 1-7 from the floor last night? How is that any better than Mathews going 2-10? Same difference. Mathews is the designated whipping boy this year it seems like.

That was Silas' first off-night in a long time. He also had 7 rebounds and 4 assists...should've gone to the FT more than he did as he was fouled on a couple of his misses.

ETA: Despite Jordan's shooting slump of late, I'm loathe to mess around with our 8 man rotation.

JPtheBeasta
02-03-2017, 09:55 AM

The other things that Melson does are more noticeable. I was down on Matthews earlier in the year but I've come around, because I do see him as something more than a streaky 3-point shooter. Either player could be the difference maker in the tournament at some point, and the team chemistry is good... I personally think that with the other four scorers Melson would be good in the starting lineup, but Few probably feels that he is needed with the 2nd unit for other reasons.

Shanachie
02-03-2017, 01:22 PM

That is a strange way to look at the statistics. In his last 3 games, he's 2 for 15 (13%). In the 3 before that, he was 6 for 16 (38%). He's in a 3 game slump, not a 6 game slump. And even after the last three games, he's at 39% for the year.

We all want to see him break out of the slump, but a 40% shooter doesn't make 40% every game. Every shooter is streaky. Every shooter has slumps. My view is that Matthews taking 6-8 threes a game is about right.

U Zig, I Zag
02-03-2017, 01:56 PM
Melson is an animal out there on D. Watch him work.

Matthews will be A-OK. They just need to let him break the seal earlier and get a grove going. He hustles on D. Got long arms, good athlete. Few just needs to run him something that gets him to the hoop early on, high post with Shem and feed him on the cut and get to the hoop, maybe to the line. THEN start hunting 3s. Also, I know the corner his is thing, but I would like to see him get something up top and the midway points as well. Event a screen up top just to get him a blip of breathing room where he can fire one up.

RenoZag
02-03-2017, 03:03 PM

That is a strange way to look at the statistics. In his last 3 games, he's 2 for 15 (13%). In the 3 before that, he was 6 for 16 (38%). He's in a 3 game slump, not a 6 game slump.

We all want to see him break out of the slump. . .

Thank you for confirming that over his last six games, he is 8 - 31 on 3PFG (25.8%) Why is looking at a sample size of six games 'strange' ?

maynard g krebs
02-04-2017, 12:01 AM
Thank you for confirming that over his last six games, he is 8 - 31 on 3PFG (25.8%) Why is looking at a sample size of six games 'strange' ?

Don't be obtuse; he already explained it, and correctly. The last 3 games he's two for 15 on 3's. The previous two games v Portland, he made 4 of 9 3's, 8 of 14 fg's overall. Those two Ptld games were the last two of a twelve game stretch where he made 33 of 73 3's, which w/o doing the exact math is around 45%, give or take.

He's on a 3 game slump, not a 6 game slump.

He had a slump early in the season as well, and that one ended. This one will as well.

ZagaZags
02-04-2017, 12:15 AM
Jordan Mathews was 2-10 when he went to the bench in the 2nd half. He was on the bench for 6-8 minutes and when he came back, he never took another shot.

bigblahla
02-04-2017, 12:52 AM

And here I thought the Zags had the lead from the beginning and we won the game....they can't all be beautiful....like others have said before me other Zags Teams may have folded....I'm in the 40-0 camp...why not...yeah there's teams that can rise to the occasion...on the other hand there isn't a TEAM in the country the Zags can't beat....I like our boys...the amazing ride continues..

Go!! Zags!!!

RenoZag
02-04-2017, 05:50 AM
He had a slump early in the season as well, and that one ended. This one will as well.

Hope you're right.