PDA

View Full Version : Zags Game Control--Some Interesting Observations

229SintoZag
02-02-2017, 05:01 PM
I think we all know that the Zags have not trailed at any point in the past 5 games. This got me to thinking about how often and to what extent we have trailed our opposition this season at all. Obviously, if a team is going to beat us they need to be in the lead after 40 minutes. So I looked at our season so far to figure out how much time Gonzaga has trailed the opponent (as opposed to being tied or ahead). I was also curious to see how much we have trailed opponents by, because I do not recall us ever being down by a significant number of points for a significant time this entire season.

It's stunning how dominant the Zags have been in this analysis.

Gonzaga never once trailed the opponent in the following games: Utah Valley; Iowa State; Miss Valley State; Washington; Arizona; Tennessee; Santa Clara; Portland (twice); San Diego, and the 2nd Pepperdine game.

In addition to that consider that Gonzaga only trailed Quinnipiac for 16 seconds; Akron for 13 seconds; South Dakota for 23 seconds; and LMU for 12 seconds.

Here are the relevant data on this for each game; I pulled this from the info on ESPN and NBC websites and I think it is accurate:

Utah Valley: Gonzaga never trailed and led the whole game.

SDSU: Aztecs led for total of 2:24 early. Largest lead was 4 points. Zags led or tied remainder of game.

Bryant: Led for a total of 38 seconds early. Largest lead was 2 points. GU led or tied rest of game.

Quinnipiac: led for a total of 16 seconds. Largest lead was 2.

Florida: Gators did better against Zags than anyone. Led for much of the game: 22:17 of the 40 minutes. (Gators also led by 11 points from 4:22 to 4:05 of the first half, which is interesting, because those 17 seconds constitute the only interval of time GU has trailed by more than 10 points all season. Think about that.)

Iowa State: GU never trailed and led or was tied entire game.

Mississipi Valley State: GU never trailed and led or was tied entire game.

Arizona: GU never trailed and led for entire game.

Washington: GU never trailed and led for the entire game.

Akron: The Zips led briefly, 5-4, for a total of 13 seconds. Zags led or were tied rest of game.

Tennessee: GU led or was tied entire game.

South Dakota: Led 2-0 for 23 seconds. Gonzaga led or was tied for the remaining 39:37.

Pepperdine (1): Led for 4:41 of the game. Largest lead was 3 points (12-9).

Pacific: Led for 13:33 of the game. GU took the lead for good with 14:10 left in second half. Largest lead was 6 pts.

USF: led for a total of 2:08 on and off early. Largest lead was 2 pts.

LMU: led 3-2 for 12 seconds. Never led again.

SMC: led four different times for a total of 3:56 during middle to end of first half. Largest lead was 2 points.

Santa Clara: GU Led or was tied entire game.

UP(1):GU led or was tied entire game.

UP(2): GU led or was tied entire game.

USD: GU led or was tied entire game.

PEPP(2): GU Led or was tied entire game.

The consistency of the dominance here in terms of game control is, to me, the most impressive thing about this years' team. To beat Gonzaga, you need to be ahead of them. Sounds simple. But the reality is that Gonzaga has played a total of 880 minutes of ball this year. Of those 880 minutes, Gonzaga has trailed a total of 50:41. That means GU has led or been tied over 94 percent of the minutes they are on the floor this season.

Another interesting part of this is that in all but really one game, Gonzaga had a significant lead for the better part of the second half that either grew or stayed significant. This speaks to our depth obviously--we can simply put more quality guys and reserves on the floor than our opposition. It also makes it really hard for our opponents to win; by far most of the minutes when Gonzaga trailed this season were in the first half.

If there is a downside to this, the downside would be that this team has not really had to rally for a comeback from a large deficit or dig deep to gut out a tough back and forth game that comes down to the wire. Gonzaga has only trailed by more than 10 points for less than 30 seconds all year! Think about that. It's unprecedented in the history of this program.

I am not a sports data guru but I would be interested to see how this team compares to past great NCAA teams in terms of this type of game control.
To me, this is as encouraging a feature of this year's team and its prospects in March as anything we see in the RPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. Gonzaga just does not get behind its opponents, and when it does, it is not by much and not for long.

NumberCruncher
02-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Wow, nice work, Sinto. I tip my cap to you.

Zagger
02-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Wow, that's some awfully good numbers. Thanks for taking the time to crunch the times. I really like how these Zags come out shooting + hard on D too. The D really seals the deal. Opponents just can't catch up.

basketballzag
02-02-2017, 05:22 PM
If there is a downside to this, the downside would be that this team has not really had to rally for a comeback from a large deficit or dig deep to gut out a tough back and forth game that comes down to the wire. Gonzaga has only trailed by more than 10 points for less than 30 seconds all year! Think about that. It's unprecedented in the history of this program.

The upside is that NWG, JWIII, and Matthews are more than used to trailing and losing so I consider this year as their gritting out year due to their past loses at their respective schools.

ZagaZags
02-02-2017, 05:25 PM
I think we all know that the Zags have not trailed at any point in the past 5 games. This got me to thinking about how often and to what extent we have trailed our opposition this season at all. Obviously, if a team is going to beat us they need to be in the lead after 40 minutes. So I looked at our season so far to figure out how much time Gonzaga has trailed the opponent (as opposed to being tied or ahead). I was also curious to see how much we have trailed opponents by, because I do not recall us ever being down by a significant number of points for a significant time this entire season.

It's stunning how dominant the Zags have been in this analysis.

Gonzaga never once trailed the opponent in the following games: Utah Valley; Iowa State; Miss Valley State; Washington; Arizona; Tennessee; Santa Clara; Portland (twice); San Diego, and the 2nd Pepperdine game.

In addition to that consider that Gonzaga only trailed Quinnipiac for 16 seconds; Akron for 13 seconds; South Dakota for 23 seconds; and LMU for 12 seconds.

Here are the relevant data on this for each game; I pulled this from the info on ESPN and NBC websites and I think it is accurate:

Utah Valley: Gonzaga never trailed and led the whole game.

SDSU: Aztecs led for total of 2:24 early. Largest lead was 4 points. Zags led or tied remainder of game.

Bryant: Led for a total of 38 seconds early. Largest lead was 2 points. GU led or tied rest of game.

Quinnipiac: led for a total of 16 seconds. Largest lead was 2.

Florida: Gators did better against Zags than anyone. Led for much of the game: 22:17 of the 40 minutes. (Gators also led by 11 points from 4:22 to 4:05 of the first half, which is interesting, because those 17 seconds constitute the only interval of time GU has trailed by more than 10 points all season. Think about that.)

Iowa State: GU never trailed and led or was tied entire game.

Mississipi Valley State: GU never trailed and led or was tied entire game.

Arizona: GU never trailed and led for entire game.

Washington: GU never trailed and led for the entire game.

Akron: The Zips led briefly, 5-4, for a total of 13 seconds. Zags led or were tied rest of game.

Tennessee: GU led or was tied entire game.

South Dakota: Led 2-0 for 23 seconds. Gonzaga led or was tied for the remaining 39:37.

Pepperdine (1): Led for 4:41 of the game. Largest lead was 3 points (12-9).

Pacific: Led for 13:33 of the game. GU took the lead for good with 14:10 left in second half. Largest lead was 6 pts.

USF: led for a total of 2:08 on and off early. Largest lead was 2 pts.

LMU: led 3-2 for 12 seconds. Never led again.

SMC: led four different times for a total of 3:56 during middle to end of first half. Largest lead was 2 points.

Santa Clara: GU Led or was tied entire game.

UP(1):GU led or was tied entire game.

UP(2): GU led or was tied entire game.

USD: GU led or was tied entire game.

PEPP(2): GU Led or was tied entire game.

The consistency of the dominance here in terms of game control is, to me, the most impressive thing about this years' team. To beat Gonzaga, you need to be ahead of them. Sounds simple. But the reality is that Gonzaga has played a total of 880 minutes of ball this year. Of those 880 minutes, Gonzaga has trailed a total of 50:41. That means GU has led or been tied over 94 percent of the minutes they are on the floor this season.

Another interesting part of this is that in all but really one game, Gonzaga had a significant lead for the better part of the second half that either grew or stayed significant. This speaks to our depth obviously--we can simply put more quality guys and reserves on the floor than our opposition. It also makes it really hard for our opponents to win; by far most of the minutes when Gonzaga trailed this season were in the first half.

I am not a sports data guru but I would be interested to see how this team compares to past great NCAA teams in terms of this type of game control.
To me, this is as encouraging a feature of this year's team and its prospects in March as anything we see in the RPI, Kenpom, Sagarin, etc. Gonzaga just does not get behind its opponents, and when it does, it is not by much and not for long.

WOW! Total domination. Sounds like a #1 team to me.

gonzagafan62
02-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Total complete domination. Thanks for the hard work I already feel like we know who our go to player is and feel like we grounded out tough games already (Tennessee, Arizona, Iowa State and Florida) we may have led those games for the most part but we did struggle for a good chunk of those games and had to rely on key shots at the end. I feel like we are tested. Saint Mary's was a complete obliteration at the end. Defense was tough. I think this team is destined for greatness

DixieZag
02-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Observation becomes even more interesting as one watches Oregon State (4-18!) take the lead, for now, against Arizona (20-2).

Great post.

Zaga
02-02-2017, 05:52 PM
This team is steady, focused and deeper than any other Zag team IMO.

zag67
02-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the great job.

229SintoZag
02-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Add in another 40 minutes against BYU tonight. That makes it 920 minutes played this year and GU has trailed less than 51 minutes.