PDA

View Full Version : BYU's Emery under the weather

RenoZag
02-01-2017, 06:32 PM
From the Deseret News Sports Sextion: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865672384/BYU-facing-unique-opportunity-at-home-against-No-1-undefeated-Gonzaga.html

BYU facing 'unique opportunity' at home against No. 1, undefeated Gonzaga

What could make things even tougher for BYU against the Zags is that Cougar guard Nick Emery has been sick and didn’t practice Wednesday.

“Nick’s come down with something,” Rose said. “He’s got body aches and chills. We sent him home and hopefully it doesn’t spread to the team. Hopefully he’s feeling better tomorrow.”

Emery played last weekend despite suffering a knee contusion the previous week at Pacific.

Mika gives props to Karno:

One of the challenges for Mika will be going against 7-foot-1, 300-pound senior center Przemek Karnowski, who averages 12.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game.

“He’s really big,” Mika said, who played against Karnowski three years ago, before his LDS Church mission. “He looks big and everyone says he’s big but you don’t know how big he is until you have to try to keep him out of the lane or when he ducks in or seals you, that’s when you realize how big he is. He’s big and strong and physical.”

Once and Future Zag
02-01-2017, 06:59 PM
TAINTED!!

MontanaCoyote
02-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Careful! Sometimes these sick guys have great games.

ProVeeZag
02-01-2017, 07:42 PM
I'd be shocked (SHOCKED!) if Emery doesn't start and play significant minutes vs the Zags tomorrow night. If he doesn't play well, then it can be blamed on the body aches and chills.

RenoZag
02-01-2017, 07:45 PM

I'd be shocked (SHOCKED!) if Emery doesn't start and play significant minutes vs the Zags tomorrow night. If he doesn't play well, then it can be blamed on the body aches and chills.

Indeed.

willandi
02-01-2017, 08:33 PM
TAINTED!!

My thought exactly!

Of course the Zags beat BYU! Emery was sick!

raise the zag
02-01-2017, 08:42 PM
https://entertainchicago.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/2-25stagefright.jpg?w=280

"Nick, could you please share your thoughts on the upcoming Zags game?" *silence* "Mr. Emery, please speak into the microphone and answer the question." *walks off stage*

Virginia Zags Fan
02-01-2017, 09:28 PM

My thoughts exactly. NWG at USF ring a bell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondo
02-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Yes! We have all seen that movie before.

2wiceright
02-01-2017, 10:44 PM

I can't remember who- but in a discussion of (mainly pro players) playing sick or injured usually end up playing as good or better (in the short term) when they want to tough it out so bad they are willing to fight through it.

I realize this is meaningless without a link or article to back it up but I was amazed and goes against what I would have expected. John Stockton was known for that and I believe he holds an NBA record for fewest games missed due to injury or sickness (actually I think know that's where it was talked about (in his autobiography) among other sporting articles. I will search for they place I originally saw that if anyone is interested.... (I am, lol)..:doh:

krozman
02-01-2017, 11:11 PM
I think half the people on this board have body aches and chills over this season.

CDC84
02-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Especially guys who play in the state of Utah. I am thinking of one man in particular who played for the Bulls who was in such bad shape that he received IV fluids before the game, at halftime and after the game. The theory is that being on the court and being preoccupied with something else besides your illness tends to cause your mind to focus more on the task at hand. The illness probably calms your nerves down a bit as well. But make no mistake about it, you feel awful when you sit on the bench and get off the floor.

Zagger
02-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Against these Zags it can't be that good of a feeling to have busted one's butt, be down double digits at halftime and know the 2nd half is likely to be worse. For BYU, should the clobbering be significant, they'll also have to endure a second helping in the Kennel as the Zags' last regular season and home game. BYU's whole team could have the willies on the day before that game.