PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Opposing Fans

former1dog
02-01-2017, 07:47 AM
To be fair, I suspect that Gonzaga fans would likely top the list of a lot of our opponents as worst fans, especially within the WCC.

As to best opposing fans, it seems that Memphis fans have been really cordial to us over the years and encouraging. Although, it must be noted that it is easier to be cordial when you have the upper hand, as Memphis had for the most part against Gonzaga.

Within the WCC, I would say St. Mary's tops the list of best fans. They seem to be cordial and friendly.

As to worst, USF always seemed to top my list but in the last several years that has changed strongly towards BYU. Besides, USF fans as a rule are neutral to cool, its just literally 2 maybe 3 individuals in the USF fan base that have made the rest look bad and as I get older and mellower, I've decided that isn't fair.

Thoughts?

gonzagafan62
02-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Best Fans in conference: St. Mary's (at least on these boards since I've started) I've not had many bad experiences with SMC fans

Best Fans OOC: St. Joes and Memphis

Worst Fans in conference: USF

Worst Fans OOC: Syracuse, Duke, Indiana

TexasZagFan
02-01-2017, 08:00 AM
To be fair, I suspect that Gonzaga fans would likely top the list of a lot of our opponents as worst fans, especially within the WCC.

As to best opposing fans, it seems that Memphis fans have been really cordial to us over the years and encouraging. Although, it must be noted that it is easier to be cordial when you have the upper hand, as Memphis had for the most part against Gonzaga.

Within the WCC, I would say St. Mary's tops the list of best fans. They seem to be cordial and friendly.

As to worst, USF always seemed to top my list but in the last several years that has changed strongly towards BYU. Besides, USF fans as a rule are neutral to cool, its just literally 2 maybe 3 individuals in the USF fan base that have made the rest look bad and as I get older and mellower, I've decided that isn't fair.

Thoughts?

Memphis? No way, we were at the game in Memphis a few years back. We were treated badly, during and after the game. An exuberant waitress at a local establishment prompted me to say, "I guess you don't want our money." That seemed to calm her down, and the service was ok. Only reason for me to go back is to spend a couple of nights on Beale Street.

Goes without saying Duke fans are the worst...lol.

Within the WCC, I'll give a "good" nod to SMC and SCU (very imaginative signs). BYU and USF are on the negative side of the coin. Then again, my antipathy towards BYU dates back 4 decades.

LongIslandZagFan
02-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Worst fans in conference... hands down BYU followed by USF.
Best fans in conference... St. Mary's and it ain't even close. SMC fans are class acts all the way.
Worst OOCs I've run across... UNC fans were pretty bad... but, Josh Hytvelt had just ruined Tyler H's day... so that may have played into it. Duke fans... but more out of sheer pompousness.
Best OOC... St. Joe's fans were really cool, very cordial (semi-obnoxius sometimes but in an endearing way, as they'd follow up a trash talk comment with compliments about the Zags). Uconn fans were actually fairly cool... which I found surprising. Lastly Tennesee fans were alright too.

MontanaCoyote
02-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Memphis? No way, we were at the game in Memphis a few years back. We were treated badly, during and after the game. An exuberant waitress at a local establishment prompted me to say, "I guess you don't want our money." That seemed to calm her down, and the service was ok. Only reason for me to go back is to spend a couple of nights on Beale Street.

Goes without saying Duke fans are the worst...lol.

Within the WCC, I'll give a "good" nod to SMC and SCU (very imaginative signs). BYU and USF are on the negative side of the coin. Then again, my antipathy towards BYU dates back 4 decades.

If not a Zag fan, I would still root for Gonzaga to beat BYU on a philosophical point. GONZAGA'S student body is evenly split between the university's religious affiliation and those of other religions. BYU's student body is 98-99% of that school's
religious affiliation, which I believe restricts the consideration of other's points of view and critical thought.

So I am biased. I also recognize that many will argue such non athletic considerations shouldn't be factored into athletics. They may be right, but I can't escape it.

Disclaimer; '70 and '71 Seattle University graduate. SU (Jesuit) has, like Gonzaga, a 50/50 student body split.

TexasZagFan
02-01-2017, 09:54 AM
If not a Zag fan, I would still root for Gonzaga to beat BYU on a philosophical point. GONZAGA'S student body is evenly split between the university's religious affiliation and those of other religions. BYU's student body is 98-99% of that school's
religious affiliation, which I believe restricts the consideration of other's points of view and critical thought.

So I am biased. I also recognize that many will argue such non athletic considerations shouldn't be factored into athletics. They may be right, but I can't escape it.

Disclaimer; '70 and '71 Seattle University graduate. SU (Jesuit) has, like Gonzaga, a 50/50 student body split.

My disdain towards BYU is strictly athletic, back to the early 80's when I lived in El Paso, and UTEP and BYU were both in the WAC. Their boorishness hasn't changed in the past 35+ years, in my view.

mgadfly
02-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Worst fans in conference... hands down BYU followed by USF.
Best fans in conference... St. Mary's and it ain't even close. SMC fans are class acts all the way.
Worst OOCs I've run across... UNC fans were pretty bad... but, Josh Hytvelt had just ruined Tyler H's day... so that may have played into it. Duke fans... but more out of sheer pompousness.
Best OOC... St. Joe's fans were really cool, very cordial (semi-obnoxius sometimes but in an endearing way, as they'd follow up a trash talk comment with compliments about the Zags). Uconn fans were actually fairly cool... which I found surprising. Lastly Tennesee fans were alright too.

I was at the UNC - Gonzaga game in NY, and the UNC fans were all pretty cool to me and my wife. I'm 6'4" 325 lbs, so maybe that had something to do with it, but everyone around us was pretty cool (my wife was probably the worst fan on that night).

And the worst fan in the WCC, without a doubt, is whoever the young woman was that screamed into the announcer's mics during the entire game at home last week. That sucked and is the first time since Ehlo was dropped from the announcing team that Heister wasn't the most annoying part of the broadcast.

MontanaCoyote
02-01-2017, 10:20 AM
My disdain towards BYU is strictly athletic, back to the early 80's when I lived in El Paso, and UTEP and BYU were both in the WAC. Their boorishness hasn't changed in the past 35+ years, in my view.

Good Old Texas Western! A championship and story that will live forever!