PDA

View Full Version : What Gonzaga's program is all about (post from Dickau's dad)

GoZags
02-01-2017, 06:54 AM
This was written by Dan Dickau's dad in March of 2000 ... as the 2nd post season of this cute little "run" was beginning. 3D was still a redshirt transfer and hadn't played for GU at the time. I think it captures (and continues to capture) the essence of what makes the GU program "special".

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/CC5B83B0-85E2-4CCF-8199-755183F0137A_zpsscbjnfhe.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/CC5B83B0-85E2-4CCF-8199-755183F0137A_zpsscbjnfhe.jpg.html)

TexasZagFan
02-01-2017, 06:57 AM
After careful consideration, my nickname for Karno is now the "Gonzaga Gazelle". Fits so much better than "impala."

gozagswoohoo
02-01-2017, 07:08 AM
That's so good. And SO accurate.

And I have ALSO noticed that the zag community seems to have a very good knowledge of the game.

Cool. Thanks for posting.

Zags11
02-01-2017, 08:56 AM
That's tight

Goshzagit
02-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Awesome. This share is more than fun and terrific...nearly 17 yrs ago!!

I enrolled as a GU Freshman in September, 2001 so especially hits home for me.

TheZagPhish
02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
"My team's on the floor."

Very nice touch.

GlacierZag
02-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Great post and thank you for sharing.

This was written by Dan Dickau's dad in March of 2000 ... as the 2nd post season of this cute little "run" was beginning. 3D was still a redshirt transfer and hadn't played for GU at the time. I think it captures (and continues to capture) the essence of what makes the GU program "special".

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/CC5B83B0-85E2-4CCF-8199-755183F0137A_zpsscbjnfhe.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/CC5B83B0-85E2-4CCF-8199-755183F0137A_zpsscbjnfhe.jpg.html)

soccerdud
02-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Awesome. This share is more than fun and terrific...nearly 17 yrs ago!!

I enrolled as a GU Freshman in September, 2001 so especially hits home for me.

same here. curious, what dorm? i'm a campion man.

Bing
02-01-2017, 04:03 PM

Catherine-Monica, Roncalli and Dooley for me. And 3D'sDD hit the nail on the head and I love that the program's values are unchanged.

Reborn
02-01-2017, 04:55 PM
Great thread. How did you get it, GoZags? Hall of fame [psst. Sums up how I feel. ZagNation is awesome. I' proud to be a part of it.

Go Zags!!!

GoZags
02-02-2017, 05:44 AM
Great thread. How did you get it, GoZags? Hall of fame [psst. Sums up how I feel. ZagNation is awesome. I' proud to be a part of it.

Go Zags!!!

Here's the deal, Reborn. I had a folder of "stuff" from the early Zag run years in my home office and I came across this post (that I'd printed) written by Dickau's dad. At the time it was written 17 years ago, not only had Dan not stepped on the court for Gonzaga (he was redshirting) ... Mark Few had yet to coach his first game in the NCAA tournament. This was written the morning of "Selection Sunday" in '00 ... after the 69-65 WCC Tourney Final win over Pepperdine and before the 1st and 2nd round wins (in Tucson ... thanks for the correction Birddog) over 7 seed Louisville and 2 seed St. John's.

I thought these words were appropriate ... and that the "essence" of the program in Fewie's 1st year as h.c. continues to ring true today ... and is the cornerstone as to why our Zags are currently the #1 team in the nation. And that the players DO buy into what this program is all about.

Think of these words .... "Ego drive while necessary and valued, is consistently held in-check for the good of the entire team. (This is unique in the "modern" era)".

That's why I entitled this thread "What Gonzaga's program is all about"
------
Also .... nice #1 Avatar reborn. I took a pic of the back of one of my old Zag jersey's (we got to keep our home and away jerseys after our Championship my freshman year). I wore the number 1 all four years at GU. This is the front of our away jerseys ....

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/29E0B708-A134-46BD-8E79-4A30716276C9_zpsv9ogr1fr.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/29E0B708-A134-46BD-8E79-4A30716276C9_zpsv9ogr1fr.jpg.html)

Reborn
02-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Here's the deal, Reborn. I had a folder of "stuff" from the early Zag run years in my home office and I came across this post (that I'd printed) written by Dickau's dad. At the time it was written 17 years ago, not only had Dan not stepped on the court for Gonzaga (he was redshirting) ... Mark Few had yet to coach his first game in the NCAA tournament. This was written the morning of "Selection Sunday" in '00 ... after the 69-65 WCC Tourney Final win over Pepperdine and before the 1st and 2nd round wins (in Memphis) over 7 seed Louisville and 2 seed St. John's.

I thought these words were appropriate ... and that the "essence" of the program in Fewie's 1st year as h.c. continues to ring true today ... and is the cornerstone as to why our Zags are currently the #1 team in the nation. And that the players DO buy into what this program is all about.

Think of these words .... "Ego drive while necessary and valued, is consistently held in-check for the good of the entire team. (This is unique in the "modern" era)".

That's why I entitled this thread "What Gonzaga's program is all about"
------
Also .... nice #1 Avatar reborn. I took a pic of the back of one of my old Zag jersey's (we got to keep our home and away jerseys after our Championship my freshman year). I wore the number 1 all four years at GU. This is the front of our away jerseys ....

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad93/tbkd1/29E0B708-A134-46BD-8E79-4A30716276C9_zpsv9ogr1fr.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/user/tbkd1/media/29E0B708-A134-46BD-8E79-4A30716276C9_zpsv9ogr1fr.jpg.html)

THANKS for your thoughts, HEART FELT.

Birddog
02-02-2017, 06:11 AM
before the 1st and 2nd round wins (in Memphis) over 7 seed Louisville and 2 seed St. John's.
GoZags, it's rare that you, who are to Zags lore as Joseph Campbell is to myth are in error but I'm pretty sure those wins were in Tucson. It was Memphis in 2001 with wins over Virginia and Indiana St. IIRC.

GoZags
02-02-2017, 06:14 AM
GoZags, it's rare that you, who are to Zags lore as Joseph Campbell is to myth are in error but I'm pretty sure those wins were in Tucson. It was Memphis in 2001 with wins over Virginia and Indiana St. IIRC.

E6. Booted that one (posted before my first cup of coffee). I'll plead temporary coma. Thanks for picking me up. And Birddog ... who would have EVER thought that there'd be so many memorable runs that they'd begin to run together. Not me.

Reborn
02-02-2017, 06:47 AM

You are forgiven. How can anyone write anything before that first cup of Java? LIKE YOUR avatar too, and the cool story behind it. Mine is the picture of the #1 BAKED CAKE made by Zag fans to celebrate their vert first #1 ranking back in '13.

GoZags
02-02-2017, 07:06 AM
You are forgiven. How can anyone write anything before that first cup of Java? LIKE YOUR avatar too, and the cool story behind it. Mine is the picture of the #1 BAKED CAKE made by Zag fans to celebrate their vert first #1 ranking back in '13.

Also a little TMI but in my continuing efforts to "be like reborn" I am a step slow while awaiting shoulder surgery (after an unfortunate tumble down the stairs ... backwards). Coulda been a LOT worse

Birddog
02-02-2017, 07:53 AM
E6. Booted that one (posted before my first cup of coffee). I'll plead temporary coma. Thanks for picking me up. And Birddog ... who would have EVER thought that there'd be so many memorable runs that they'd begin to run together. Not me.

I remembered because I was in Memphis for that one. The Ind. St post game presser with Calvary and Dickau was classic and then most of the Zag fans went to a nearby Irish Pub (I think it was St Paddy's Day) where there was much celebrating. I was seated inadvertently next to Don Herek and it was my first and only interaction with Fr. Tony, who along with Fr Spitzer was also at our table. It was quite the day to say the least.

Reborn
02-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Also a little TMI but in my continuing efforts to "be like reborn" I am a step slow while awaiting shoulder surgery (after an unfortunate tumble down the stairs ... backwards). Coulda been a LOT worse

Don't twll me that. You got to be kidding me. My prayeres and support are with you every day. I KNOW what you're feeling. Keep the faith brother.

TexasZagFan
02-02-2017, 09:57 AM
I remembered because I was in Memphis for that one. The Ind. St post game presser with Calvary and Dickau was classic and then most of the Zag fans went to a nearby Irish Pub (I think it was St Paddy's Day) where there was much celebrating. I was seated inadvertently next to Don Herek and it was my first and only interaction with Fr. Tony, who along with Fr Spitzer was also at our table. It was quite the day to say the least.

I really miss Fr. Tony. I'll swear that he knew everyone by their first names on campus. He always had a smile on his face.

TexasZagFan
02-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Don't twll me that. You got to be kidding me. My prayeres and support are with you every day. I KNOW what you're feeling. Keep the faith brother.

I'm praying for both you fellows. My next house is going to be one story. I've slipped and fallen a few times over the years, fortunately with only multicolored bruises to the lower back.

My health tip for the day is to brush and floss often. Hope none of you have to endure a root canal. That's been the highlight of my day so far.

former1dog
02-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Oh man! Sorry to hear that my friend. Get well soon.

Goshzagit
02-02-2017, 10:54 AM

Hey Soccer!

Kicked off the Frosh yr in "CM" -- Northeast wing, followed by the Burch Apartments (lucky lotto #), then moved off campus my Jr yr on Baldwin, & closed out my 4th yr in a beautiful home on Mission Ave , rt next to Campus.