PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Article about the Zags

Zagmother
01-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Here is a link to a NY Times article about Gonzaga being ranked #1 and getting no respect . . . Quotes from Jordan Matthews, Williams-Goss and Coach Few.

https://nyti.ms/2jLpulZ

bartruff1
01-30-2017, 05:29 PM
The paper of record for our beloved Republic, The New York Times, should be absolutely ashamed and humiliated. They got it 100 percent wrong. :D

CDC84
01-30-2017, 09:32 PM
There are some tremendous quotes from Few in this article (and the players to). I am going to save this article for sure. From Few:

Few, the coach, dismissed the significance of a No. 1 ranking at this point in the season.

“To me, No. 1 is like tracking a stock,” he said. “It doesn’t do you any good looking at your 401(k) until you go to cash out.”

--AND--

But a Final Four would bring a validation that a midseason ranking cannot.

“It’s something we haven’t done,” Few said. “We’re running out of things we haven’t done. That seems to drive a lot of people to question us. I’m not one who signs up for that. If you can get to the tournament 18, 19 straight years, that says enough.”

Few dismisses the notion that his program needs to reach the final weekend to validate the previous two decades, and he doubted that the criticism would end even if his team made it to Phoenix in March.

“It’ll morph into another one,” Few said. “ ‘How come you haven’t won a national championship?’ ‘When are you going to get back there again?’ ‘You’re not really an established program if you don’t get back there again.’ It never ends.

“For me, I just want our guys to play our best when our best is needed. If they do that, then good on them. I think we can compete with anybody in the country on any particular night.”

In other words, the program is never going to get the respect it deserves. Gonzaga is a non-BCS program, and if you are in that place, you have to work 4x as hard as the BCS guys to get respect from the media and analysts. There will always be a "but" or "you haven't." It's never going to end, even if GU makes it to the final 4. It's best to just enjoy the program for what it is and what it stands for. As for the others, well, they just don't understand.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-31-2017, 03:15 AM
Agreed, great article. Matthews' and NWG's quotes are fair and true, but I hope all the players refrain from commenting any further on topic of ranking, national perception of Zags etc. The extra media attention is great for the program and #1 ranking nice and all, but it all goes away with a few losses so just stay locked in Zags.

I remember one year Zags were displeased and outspoken about the poor seeding/location they got for NCAA tourney then went out and lost early (Davidson maybe...or Nevada). They seemed to get too caught up in media and their performance suffered...that's the impression I got anyway.

Go Zags! Beat BYU

titopoet
01-31-2017, 04:46 AM
The paper of record for our beloved Republic, The New York Times, should be absolutely ashamed and humiliated. They got it 100 percent wrong. :D

Beautiful quote... beautiful quote... too bad you did not say and and never said it. :roll:

The team is now getting media attention and will until they lose. They are all have a great attitude toward it. "We are just trying to get better."

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 04:47 AM
Agreed, great article. Matthews' and NWG's quotes are fair and true, but I hope all the players refrain from commenting any further on topic of ranking, national perception of Zags etc. The extra media attention is great for the program and #1 ranking nice and all, but it all goes away with a few losses so just stay locked in Zags.

I remember one year Zags were displeased and outspoken about the poor seeding/location they got for NCAA tourney then went out and lost early (Davidson maybe...or Nevada). They seemed to get too caught up in media and their performance suffered...that's the impression I got anyway.

Go Zags! Beat BYU

I think it was Albuquerque, when we lost to Wyoming. IIRC, we were expecting a 2 or 3 seed, and got a 6. Wyoming was an 11 seed, and they outplayed us. I think Blake Stepp went 1-14 in that game.

Gonzdb8
01-31-2017, 05:05 AM

Go Zags! Beat BYU

IIRC that loss had less to do with our players getting caught up in the media and more to do with being sent across the country to play a very underseeded Davidson team in their own backyard. Felt like that was the committee punishing us for some shaky WCC play and rewarding Davidson for playing extremely well down the stretch.

Birddog
01-31-2017, 05:43 AM
I think it was Albuquerque, when we lost to Wyoming. IIRC, we were expecting a 2 or 3 seed, and got a 6. Wyoming was an 11 seed, and they outplayed us. I think Blake Stepp went 1-14 in that game.

I don't remember any whining but I was at that game sitting next to the lovely Mrs GoZags. I've always blamed that loss on the coaches. Sure it was a bit unfair to play Wyoming at altitude, but IMO the coaches didn't sub in players often enough. Zags shot 27% from 3 (Dickau 4/14, Stepp 0/5), Stepp went 1/13 overall. Zags were gassed and shortarming shots in 2nd half. Coaches should have known too, as they played the Lobos at the pit in early January winning in an overtime game. Water under the bridge.

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 07:31 AM
I don't remember any whining but I was at that game sitting next to the lovely Mrs GoZags. I've always blamed that loss on the coaches. Sure it was a bit unfair to play Wyoming at altitude, but IMO the coaches didn't sub in players often enough. Zags shot 27% from 3 (Dickau 4/14, Stepp 0/5), Stepp went 1/13 overall. Zags were gassed and shortarming shots in 2nd half. Coaches should have known too, as they played the Lobos at the pit in early January winning in an overtime game. Water under the bridge.

Wyoming was also one of the most physical teams we played that year, we did not appear to react well to it.

CDC84
01-31-2017, 08:30 AM
I think it was Albuquerque, when we lost to Wyoming. IIRC, we were expecting a 2 or 3 seed, and got a 6. Wyoming was an 11 seed, and they outplayed us. I think Blake Stepp went 1-14 in that game

I think the thing that upset me even more than the seeding and the high altitude was having to play a Mountain West Conference team on a Mountain West conference home floor. It's not like UNM and Wyoming have a nasty rivalry or anything. Who do you think the locals are going to root for? The team in their own conference. That place was 85% pro Wyoming. That being said, GU still should've beaten those guys.

The Wyoming loss came down to one thing: GU couldn't hit a pea in the ocean. Once every 50 games or so your program experiences a game where no one on the team, no matter how wide open they are, just can't hit a shot. I remember all night long the shots being there, but the Zags couldn't hit anything. It was just one of those games. Whereas with GU's other losses in the NCAA tourney I could give you more detailed reasons why they lost the games.

maynard g krebs
01-31-2017, 11:41 AM
IIRC that loss had less to do with our players getting caught up in the media and more to do with being sent across the country to play a very underseeded Davidson team in their own backyard. Felt like that was the committee punishing us for some shaky WCC play and rewarding Davidson for playing extremely well down the stretch.

Or else it was random bad luck, like when 2 seed Stanford had to play underseeded 10 seed GU in Seattle. Hard to say, really. The Wyoming game in Alb. (I was there, my only tourney game, dammit) did seem like a screw job, playing an altitude team at altitude with all the locals cheering for their conference, and with a total screw job seed.