PDA

View Full Version : A high ranking helps with......

CDC84
01-30-2017, 12:31 PM
.............recruiting

https://twitter.com/NikePortlandBC/status/823923592790315009

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1744940-top-2018-pg-talks-gonzaga

scrooner
01-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Marcus Tsohonis 6'4", but 6'9" with the hair.

Reborn
01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
I think it also helps with seeding in the NCAA Tournament. I believing it helps to get a #1 seed. A #1 seed plays the winner of 8-9 in second round and the winner of 4-5 in the 3rd round. A 2 seed plays the winner of 7-10 in the second round and the winner of 3-6 in the 3rd round. The best rout is to be the #1 OVERALL SEED. I Hope we go undefeated.

jchocolate99
01-30-2017, 01:15 PM
Being ranked this high most definitely helps with recruiting... That's why I roll my eyes a lot when I see people on this board constantly saying how the rankings are not important. For a kid making a decision where he's going to play his college ball the school being ranked can be important. These kids have dreams of going to the NBA and being on a team that gets national exposure plays a big part of being scouted and potentially drafted.

allbusiness_zag
01-30-2017, 01:24 PM
A 15-17 year old kid seeing a Gonzaga team (who is recruiting them hard) ranked number one in the country is a very good thing.

ZagaZags
01-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Seeding.

Zagger
01-30-2017, 01:39 PM
A great reward for team and coaches for all the hard work!

sittingon50
01-30-2017, 01:43 PM

1st Team All Zag Hair as soon as he steps on campus!

Ezag
01-30-2017, 01:51 PM

http://www.fletchwon.net/fletchfro.jpg

gozagswoohoo
01-30-2017, 01:56 PM
erectile dysfunction.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2017, 02:00 PM
erectile dysfunction.

LOL

BayAreaZagFan
01-30-2017, 02:07 PM
... dealing with obnoxious fans of other teams.

CDC84
01-30-2017, 02:53 PM
I have no way of knowing this, but I would imagine with his So Cal connections, Donny Daniels is heavily involved in the recruitment of Williams who appears to be a sure fire McDonald's AA. He wants to visit Gonzaga. It would be nice to get him up for a game this season!

Birddog
01-30-2017, 03:07 PM
.............recruiting

https://twitter.com/NikePortlandBC/status/823923592790315009

http://www.scout.com/college/gonzaga/story/1744940-top-2018-pg-talks-gonzaga

Amazing. "General" Tso and The "Filter" Hepa both go to Jefferson, that must be some team!

thespywhozaggedme
01-30-2017, 03:25 PM
I'm still ticked off that the kids that we offer and commit to UDub don't get it. What does that say about them, that winning is irrelevant and getting to the NBA is the only thing that matters? They could do both with GU.

maynard g krebs
01-30-2017, 03:45 PM
I'm still ticked off that the kids that we offer and commit to UDub don't get it. What does that say about them, that winning is irrelevant and getting to the NBA is the only thing that matters? They could do both with GU.

First, Seattle is home to many of them, and UW the home team. GU is largely a hated enemy in Seattle.

Second, they are used to success and probably are confident that they are the one to get UW back to the Roy/Robinson et al days.

Third, GU has a history of getting bigs to the NBA, but not guards/wings, which UW has done in abundance.

I can't think of many non- Puget Sound area kids who were the subject of a recruiting battle between UW-GU.

CDC84
01-30-2017, 04:57 PM
There is a whole chapter about Gonzaga and their issues with recruiting inner city Seattle in Withers' new book. A must read. He explains it all.

It's something that used to bother the GU staff, but not anymore. There are plenty of other players to be had.

U Zig, I Zag
01-30-2017, 05:11 PM
There is a whole chapter about Gonzaga and their issues with recruiting inner city Seattle in Withers' new book. A must read. He explains it all.

It's something that used to bother the GU staff, but not anymore. There are plenty of other players to be had.

Been meaning to add the book to my reading list, but I got about 10 books queued up now. If you could, paraphrase a bit?

TexasZagFan
01-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Been meaning to add the book to my reading list, but I got about 10 books queued up now. If you could, paraphrase a bit?

Your priorities are out of kilter. :lmao:

CDC84
01-30-2017, 08:41 PM
It's too complicated to explain it. Must read the book. Bud explains it to the point where you really, really understand why GU doesn't land these players. What I can say is that the problems run so deep that the GU staff has basically given up. They won't say no if they put out a feeler and the player shows some interest, but as Tommy Lloyd says, they are not going to break their backs on kids who are basically "trained" to go to UW. It's a waste of time. Also, GU doesn't want every inner city Seattle kid, regardless of their recruiting ranking or their NBA potential. There has to be more.

U Zig, I Zag
01-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Meetin' chicks.

U Zig, I Zag
01-30-2017, 08:43 PM
It's too complicated to explain it. Must read the book. Bud explains it to the point where you really, really understand why GU doesn't land these players. What I can say is that problems run so deep that the GU staff has basically given up. They won't say no if they put out a feeler and the player shows some interest, but as Tommy Lloyd says, they are not going to break their backs on kids who are basically "trained" to go to UW. It's a waste of time. Also, GU doesn't want every inner city Seattle kid, regardless of their recruiting ranking or their NBA potential. There has to be more. .

I can't see it. Just seems like a strange school to go to if you want to improve and, well, win.

ZagaZags
01-30-2017, 08:50 PM
erectile dysfunction.

This team will rise to the occasion.

Birddog
01-31-2017, 03:34 AM
I can't see it. Just seems like a strange school to go to if you want to improve and, well, win.

Lomar is a charmer and the high school and AAU coaches do the rest.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2017, 05:05 AM
At least dickau bell gray and NWG are smart.

Virginia Zags Fan
01-31-2017, 06:24 AM
It's OK. If their dream is to go to UW, I am happy if they are able to fulfill their dream. My main concern is finding great guys who want to be Zags. What a super group Mark Few has. We are very, very fortunate as fans of this program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 06:50 AM
It's OK. If their dream is to go to UW, I am happy if they are able to fulfill their dream. My main concern is finding great guys who want to be Zags. What a super group Mark Few has. We are very, very fortunate as fans of this program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This year was unusual, going from 7 players on scholarship to 13. Most years, you can get by adding 2-3 new players on scholarship, as well as enticing a quality senior transfer. The precedent set by Wesley and Matthews has not gone unnoticed. Those two came from Pac-12 schools that missed the tournament, and immediately played a role on ranked teams.

thespywhozaggedme
01-31-2017, 07:04 AM
First, Seattle is home to many of them, and UW the home team. GU is largely a hated enemy in Seattle.

Second, they are used to success and probably are confident that they are the one to get UW back to the Roy/Robinson et al days.

Third, GU has a history of getting bigs to the NBA, but not guards/wings, which UW has done in abundance.

I can't think of many non- Puget Sound area kids who were the subject of a recruiting battle between UW-GU.

They haven't made MM in 6 years. To put that into perspective many of these kids were 12 and 13 at that time, lol.

CDC84
01-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Our salute to Lorenzo Romar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRjFWDGs1g

seacatfan
01-31-2017, 11:12 AM
The precedent set by Wesley and Matthews has not gone unnoticed. Those two came from Pac-12 schools that missed the tournament, and immediately played a role on ranked teams.

Cal went to the Tourney last year.

seacatfan
01-31-2017, 11:15 AM
However good Gonzaga is, there is still the issue of playing in the WCC. Some kids are just not going to go to a school where their conference games are against Pepperdine and San Diego and Pacific, etc. etc.

Mantua
01-31-2017, 11:51 AM
At least dickau bell gray and NWG are smart.

I can't imagine what a drag this year is for Markelle Fultz.

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 11:57 AM
However good Gonzaga is, there is still the issue of playing in the WCC. Some kids are just not going to go to a school where their conference games are against Pepperdine and San Diego and Pacific, etc. etc.

Zags are on TV almost as often as the Blue Bloods are.

If I'm a parent of one of these young men, I'm definitely making my own road trips to tourist destinations such as Malibu, San Diego, everywhere in the WCC except for Fresno.

Uh, scratch that notion...Yosemite's a little over an hour from Fresno.

But that's just me...

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 11:58 AM
I can't imagine what a drag this year is for Markelle Fultz.

From what I've heard, he hasn't uttered a discouraging word.

Mantua
01-31-2017, 12:00 PM

Yes, the WCC is a tough sell, but GU teams get so much more national exposure and their players get nominated for major awards. The team culture is stronger at GU. I honestly believe that the Gonzaga program is much more fun than UW's for the players.

BayAreaZagFan
01-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Zags are on TV almost as often as the Blue Bloods are.

If I'm a parent of one of these young men, I'm definitely making my own road trips to tourist destinations such as Malibu, San Diego, everywhere in the WCC except for Fresno.

Uh, scratch that notion...Yosemite's a little over an hour from Fresno.

But that's just me...

There is no WCC school in Fresno. Are you thinking of Stockton, maybe?

seacatfan
01-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Malibu is beautiful. I drove by the Pepperdine campus once and down to the beach just below it, then a few miles north up the PCH to a nice park. But student-athlete basketball players aren't tourists. Might be great for mom and dad to go play on the beach but the team is probably pretty focused on the upcoming game.

The GU basketball program is light years ahead of UW, no doubt. I don't know how much fun the Husky players are having this year. It doesn't look like it would be much fun from afar.

There are many factors that go into making the decision of where to play if you are good enough to get a D1 scholarship. Certainly TV exposure is one. Frequently going to the Tournament, player development/placing players in the NBA, location, campus life...probably many others. Some WCC schools have nice gyms, but some are pathetic, not even as good as some of the HS gyms that blue chip recruits are probably used to playing in. The opportunity to play games at McKale, Pauley, etc. has to be at least one factor to consider. Also as someone mentioned GU has done a good job of sending bigs to the NBA, but guards/wings not so much. Whatever you want to say about Romar, he's had a steady stream of perimeter players make it to the NBA, and contrary to popular opinion on the site quite a few of them were not blue chippers and were not expected to have pro careers.

thespywhozaggedme
01-31-2017, 12:26 PM

So be a bottom feeder in the Pac 12 and never make the tournament; that makes sense.

seacatfan
01-31-2017, 12:39 PM
It's not like I'm personally lobbying for kids to go to UW vs. GU. I just understand why SOME highly touted recruits would choose to not play for a member of the WCC. So UW doesn't make much sense as a choice, they could go somewhere else. It's not like every kid from the greater Seattle area picks UW. Louisville has nabbed several over the years, Arizona has gotten several, Downs went to Kansas before transferring to GU, Marvin Williams went to UNC, I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 12:53 PM
There is no WCC school in Fresno. Are you thinking of Stockton, maybe?

Thanks for the correction, BAZF. That's what I meant. I could make that destination, too: a couple of hours to Napa or Yosemite, or 3 hours to Reno.

maynard g krebs
01-31-2017, 01:00 PM
They haven't made MM in 6 years. To put that into perspective many of these kids were 12 and 13 at that time, lol.

The kids are aware of the history, though. It's a tight basketball community with guys like Roy and Conroy pretty closely involved, and the kids look up to them.

GU doesn't really need these kids anyway; it's an international brand. So no big deal. Kispert's gonna be a great get out of Seattle. Bell, Gray, and the transfers. Not a worry at all when Seattle kids pick UW.

MontanaCoyote
01-31-2017, 01:23 PM
The kids are aware of the history, though. It's a tight basketball community with guys like Roy and Conroy pretty closely involved, and the kids look up to them.

GU doesn't really need these kids anyway; it's an international brand. So no big deal. Kispert's gonna be a great get out of Seattle. Bell, Gray, and the transfers. Not a worry at all when Seattle kids pick UW.

Youth has it's own priorities and most good young athletes will put athletics first. But even as a recruited athlete, many if not most of these kids will find out that they're just a number, if that, in classes of 300-600. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore but maybe it does. Why did Zach Collins come to Gonzaga instead of Arizona or UCLA? Maybe, in part, to get a high quality education and be a part of a real academic and social community.

And those big factory schools? Get hurt and see what happens to you then......Find out you were really only a number all along and after all.

U Zig, I Zag
01-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Malibu is beautiful. I drove by the Pepperdine campus once and down to the beach just below it, then a few miles north up the PCH to a nice park. But student-athlete basketball players aren't tourists. Might be great for mom and dad to go play on the beach but the team is probably pretty focused on the upcoming game.

The GU basketball program is light years ahead of UW, no doubt. I don't know how much fun the Husky players are having this year. It doesn't look like it would be much fun from afar.

There are many factors that go into making the decision of where to play if you are good enough to get a D1 scholarship. Certainly TV exposure is one. Frequently going to the Tournament, player development/placing players in the NBA, location, campus life...probably many others. Some WCC schools have nice gyms, but some are pathetic, not even as good as some of the HS gyms that blue chip recruits are probably used to playing in. The opportunity to play games at McKale, Pauley, etc. has to be at least one factor to consider. Also as someone mentioned GU has done a good job of sending bigs to the NBA, but guards/wings not so much. Whatever you want to say about Romar, he's had a steady stream of perimeter players make it to the NBA, and contrary to popular opinion on the site quite a few of them were not blue chippers and were not expected to have pro careers.

Maybe Cat games are different... but man, I have watched PLENTY Pac12 games, especially on their family of networks and barring some good years by teams it seems like a lot of these large, hallowed grounds are often empty. The Pac12 tourney (before they moved - might be better now) was embarrassingly sparse. Playing at LMU probably isn't super exciting, but if you are on GU, you know it's gonna be full - even if half are Zag fans. :roll: