PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga isn't overrated you ignorant buffoon.....

Section 116
01-30-2017, 11:19 AM
.....from the Slipper Still fits! I found this enlightening: The Zags aren’t just winning in the WCC, they are steamrolling the competition. Gonzaga has won its conference games by an average of 27.7 points. For reference points, the Kentucky Wildcats beat Stephen F. Austin, Duquenseque, Cleveland State, Tennessee Martin and Hofstra (all teams around on part with your average WCC team) by an average of 27.2 points—and all of those but Hofstra were at home. Kansas beat Siena, Long Beach State, UKMC and UNLV by an average of 25.5 points.

See more at this link: http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2017/1/30/14430248/gonzaga-bulldogs-overrated-actually-no-we-are-really-good

gonzagafan62
01-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Love it!

Pleasant Peninsula
01-30-2017, 12:57 PM
The writer seems to think that Kentucky is in the Big 12 or that Kansas is referred to as "Big Blue Nation"?????

People who live in a constant bubble of Big 12 ideals think every single team outside of their conference is garbage. There is only Big Blue Nation and any other team outside of Big Blue Nation is the worst team in the nation.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Debunking idiocy :

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/1/30/14434430/gonzaga-bulldogs-zags-number-one-ap-poll-arguments-final-four-schedule-rankings

ZagaZags
01-30-2017, 01:06 PM
I loved it when NWG said "We are as good as we think we are."

Markburn1
01-30-2017, 01:50 PM
The writer seems to think that Kentucky is in the Big 12 or that Kansas is referred to as "Big Blue Nation"?????

I think you are conflating two separate sentences with two separate thoughts. Inelegant writing, but he was on a serious rant.

RenoZag
01-30-2017, 02:07 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/sports/ncaabasketball/gonzaga-bulldogs-number-1-unbeaten-associated-press-poll.html?_r=0

Gonzaga Is No. 1. Gonzaga Is Undefeated. Gonzaga Gets No Respect.

Yet while the program’s ranking and its 18 consecutive appearances in the N.C.A.A. tournament command respect, and the staying power of this tiny Jesuit university from the West Coast Conference among the national elite is a compelling story, the doubters will remain until the Bulldogs’ lofty ranking translates into success in March. Despite its consistent success, Gonzaga still has never been to the Final Four.

“That’s the nature of sports,” said the senior guard Jordan Mathews, a graduate transfer from the University of California. “Like, if we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster.”

“In the past, some of our teams maybe had somebody you don’t have to guard, and they’d double the post off that guy,” said Coach Mark Few, in his 18th season leading the program.

But this team is more balanced, he said, and Karnowski has the passing skills to make daring opponents pay.

Four Bulldogs are averaging more than 10 points a game. Three more are within 2 points of that benchmark. The Zags play stingy defense, too, giving up the ninth-fewest points per game (61.4) in Division I. Against San Diego, Gonzaga held the Toreros to 2 points in the opening 10 minutes of the second half.

Few, the coach, dismissed the significance of a No. 1 ranking at this point in the season.

“To me, No. 1 is like tracking a stock,” he said. “It doesn’t do you any good looking at your 401(k) until you go to cash out.”

BayAreaZagFan
01-30-2017, 02:19 PM
He also hesitated to characterize his team as the undisputed best. “But there have been times,” he said, “there have been possessions, there have been four-minute spans where we’re playing better than anybody in the country.” When the Zags are making 3-point shots, Few added, “when we’re defending the rim, when our guards are playing — yeah, there have been stretches where we’re as good as anybody.”

I'd love to see several of those four-minute spans in each half of each game. It would be impossible to keep that pace up for an entire game, but if they could play that way more often than not, this team could roll through the tournament the way they've been rolling through the conference so far.

“It’s something we haven’t done,” Few said. “We’re running out of things we haven’t done."

Love that.

RenoZag
02-02-2017, 07:45 AM
ESPN Article re: Current edition of the Zags: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/18601278/is-gonzaga-bulldogs-best-team-ever

A team's BPI rating describes how many points by which you would expect it to beat an average Division I team on a neutral court. This year's Gonzaga squad is certainly one of the best Few has had in the past 10 seasons, but it falls short of the relative strength of both the 2014-15 and 2012-13 teams, according to BPI. That isn't to say that this year's Gonzaga team isn't the best Few has coached, but it's not there yet.

The Bulldogs have played just the 124th-hardest schedule so far, but their two most difficult remaining games, at BYU (Thursday 11 p.m. ET on ESPN 2) and at Saint Mary's (Feb. 11 at 8:15 p.m. ET on ESPN), are in the next 10 days. BPI gives the Zags just a 33 percent chance of winning both of those games. Strong performances in both games will further improve their BPI rating. The Saint Mary's game is one of only three games this season in which Few's team is not favored by BPI. In the other two contests, Gonzaga beat Iowa State by two and Arizona by seven.

Winning their two most difficult remaining games convincingly may convince objective power rankings like BPI that this is Gonzaga's best team yet, but most observers are still waiting on that elusive Final Four appearance. Although attaining success in the NCAA tournament is very difficult, and shouldn't be the determining factor in evaluating a team's season, many see it that way.

Gonzdb8
02-02-2017, 08:34 AM
great rant. my only criticism would be that when answering "zags always choke in the NCAA tournament" the author really should have included some evidence on how many times we actually "choked" against a lower seeded team. as we all know on here, it hasn't happened very often. seems like a very important stat that is often ignored by folks on both sides of this argument.

DixieZag
02-02-2017, 08:45 AM
ESPN Article re: Current edition of the Zags: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/18601278/is-gonzaga-bulldogs-best-team-ever

Good stuff.

And they note how the BPI represents an "objective test" and I think that's important b/c it can't measure what we're seeing on the court and hearing from the players.

Without regard to the stats, this team is bigger/stronger and faster than the others. Even more important, the team seems unworldly mature for a college team. Their approach is almost "pro-like" in the focus and the fact that they don't seem all that full of themselves, though confident. Tough balance, but they're doing it.

zagfan24
02-02-2017, 10:06 AM
great rant. my only criticism would be that when answering "zags always choke in the NCAA tournament" the author really should have included some evidence on how many times we actually "choked" against a lower seeded team. as we all know on here, it hasn't happened very often. seems like a very important stat that is often ignored by folks on both sides of this argument.

The even bigger omission from the standard hater argument, IMO, is that two of those lower seeded teams were Davidson playing a home game with some guy named Steph Curry (did he ever do anything after that game?) and against a criminally under-seeded Wichita St team who made the final four.

CDC84
02-02-2017, 10:23 AM
GU was a 7 seed, Davidson a 10. I don't really consider a 10 beating a 7 as choking. Choking is like Duke losing to Mercer.

Mantua
02-02-2017, 11:34 AM
GU was a 7 seed, Davidson a 10. I don't really consider a 10 beating a 7 as choking. Choking is like Duke losing to Mercer.

Here, hear!

zagfan24
02-02-2017, 12:10 PM

I certainly wasn't intending to describe that as a "choke" but when people simply run the numbers, it still counts as a loss to a lower seed. In my mind, the loss to Nevada in 2004 stands out as the most recent "bad loss" in the tournament. And that was definitely a strong team in their own right, I just had very high hopes for the Zags that season.

seacatfan
02-02-2017, 01:44 PM
I certainly wasn't intending to describe that as a "choke" but when people simply run the numbers, it still counts as a loss to a lower seed. In my mind, the loss to Nevada in 2004 stands out as the most recent "bad loss" in the tournament. And that was definitely a strong team in their own right, I just had very high hopes for the Zags that season.

That Nevada game and the loss to a Texas Tech team that wasn't nearly as talented as GU stick out to me as bad Tourney losses. Probably Wyoming at elevation too.

Zaga
02-02-2017, 01:49 PM
Probably Wyoming at elevation too.

That loss still messes with my brain!

seacatfan
02-02-2017, 01:53 PM
That loss still messes with my brain!

I think I'm just kind of in denial about that one still. I was at the Nevada game screaming my head off at the refs and for Stepp to quit shooting. I don't think I'll ever get over that one. So disappointing.

Zagceo
02-02-2017, 02:10 PM
I loved it when NWG said "We are as good as we think we are."

Yep

NotoriousZ
02-02-2017, 04:31 PM
That Nevada game ranks right up there as one of the most painful losses ever. The refs basically kept Ronny out of the game with those BS tickie-tac fouls and Nevada probably had school record number of threes.

No pain this year...lovin' it!

Dogtownkid
02-02-2017, 04:38 PM
I love the title of this thread!