PDA

View Full Version : Security Concerns for Thursday Night at BYU

CDC84
01-30-2017, 08:39 AM
BYU fans do not strike as the type who would storm the court after a win, but when the number one team in the nation comes into your arena, and you've had a disappointing season thus far, anything is liable to happen.

When fans normally storm the floor after beating GU, it's a small contingent of students and a few adults jumping up and down at center court with their victorious players.

However, court storming in a 22,000 seat arena is another deal. It usually results in fans covering ever square inch of the floor, and too often having confrontations with opposing players, coaches and staff.

GU is not used to this kind of stuff. As for Duke, North Carolina and other blue blood teams who regularly play in big arenas....this stuff is old hat. I really hope that Gonzaga and BYU officials get together well before the game and plan out a security strategy so that the Zags can get off the floor safely in the event of an upset.

Of course the best security strategy of all is for Gonzaga to go into the Marriott Center and beat BYU, soundly.

former1dog
01-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Gonzaga will beat BYU soundly, but that doesn't mean there doesn't need to be vigilance. BYU fans/players have been involved in many incidents over the years.

Kafusi the elder going WWE on Olynyk.

Emery blind side punching the Utah PG.

Fans throwing garbage onto the floor during a game against St. Mary's a few years back.

kitzbuel
01-30-2017, 08:47 AM
BYU fans do not strike as the type who would storm the court after a win, but when the number one team in the nation comes into your arena, and you've had a disappointing season thus far, anything is liable to happen.

When fans normally storm the floor after beating GU, it's a small contingent of students and a few adults jumping up and down at center court with their victorious players.

However, court storming in a 22,000 seat arena is another deal. It usually results in fans covering ever square inch of the floor, and too often having confrontations with opposing players, coaches and staff.

GU is not used to this kind of stuff. As for Duke, North Carolina and other blue blood teams who regularly play in big arenas....this stuff is old hat. I really hope that Gonzaga and BYU officials get together well before the game and plan out a security strategy so that the Zags can get off the floor safely in the event of an upset.

Of course the best security strategy of all is for Gonzaga to go into the Marriott Center and beat BYU, soundly.
I am looking forward to the crowd slowly and quitely dwindling with 9:00 minutes or so left.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Goshzagit
01-30-2017, 08:52 AM
they continually mention "unleashing Kaufusi" vs the Zags.

This is what makes me nervous.

Kaufusi has barely played, if at all, since returning. Based on past encounters, IF Kaufusi plays, it will be to wear out our bigs, even be 'overly' physical on fouls, elbows, pushes, etc.

Never worry about cheap shots unless we play BYU...or Georgia.

This is a legitimate concern, and if Kaufusi plays more than 5 mins, or logs 5 fouls in short period of time, then some is fishy yet again.

ZagOD7540
01-30-2017, 08:59 AM
I feel the same way. Kafusi will play-I guarantee you. He will have 3 intentional fouls by halftime. I worry about the hard fouls and the cheap shots from the "middle aged men". They are going to hammer our bigs. Nothing will come easy down low. They have been "dirty" for a long time. Refs better not let this get out of hand.

Zags_Fanatic
01-30-2017, 09:17 AM
BYU fans are the worst in the conference and it isn't close. I wouldn't put anything past them. If it means any more or less, I say this as a BYU alum who attended a lot of BYU games in the student section and it left such a bad taste in my mouth I want to beat them by 100.

CDC84
01-30-2017, 10:32 AM
If I were Few, I might have a friendly conversation with the lead official just before the game about Kaufusi. That he's had a rep for being overly-physical with the Zags during games. I wouldn't say he's a dirty player or whatever....but that the crew should keep an eye on things. This guy is liable to really hurt someone.

Zags_Fanatic
01-30-2017, 10:53 AM
If I were Few, I might have a friendly conversation with the lead official just before the game about Kaufusi. That he's had a rep for being overly-physical with the Zags during games. I wouldn't say he's a dirty player or whatever....but that the crew should keep an eye on things. This guy is liable to really hurt someone.

Different Kaufusi. His brother mauled Olynyk, but it actually seems like Corbin is more interested in basketball than MMA. At least when he isn't playing football.

CDC84
01-30-2017, 10:57 AM
I am glad he will not be participating in this game. For the safety and health of GU's players.

Zags_Fanatic
01-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Here's a gem from CougarBoards:

we need to "bad boy piston" these Zags.

i want to see kaufusi and guinn
play some select early minutes with at least one of them picking up a flagrant foul or try and take someone out. if we try to outscore the Zags it will be ugly. in some weird irony we need to muck it up with these guys and play "ugly ball" to win. get in their heads early and often. pick up a T yelling in their face after a dunk or block. set a couple hard screens. put that big oaf on his butt a few times.

that's the recipe to win thursday.

(instead we'll see a somewhat timid team so jacked up their already inconsistent shooting will be made worse and they'll turn it over even more than they have lately...i'm thinking an 88-65 type final score)

Again, BYU fans are the absolute worst. I hope we beat them by 50.

willandi
01-30-2017, 04:50 PM

Here's a gem from CougarBoards:

play some select early minutes with at least one of them picking up a flagrant foul or try and take someone out. if we try to outscore the Zags it will be ugly. in some weird irony we need to muck it up with these guys and play "ugly ball" to win. get in their heads early and often. pick up a T yelling in their face after a dunk or block. set a couple hard screens. put that big oaf on his butt a few times.

(instead we'll see a somewhat timid team so jacked up their already inconsistent shooting will be made worse and they'll turn it over even more than they have lately...i'm thinking an 88-65 type final score)

Again, BYU fans are the absolute worst. I hope we beat them by 50.

Maybe that should be printed and handed to the lead ref. I know that isn't the 'official' school statement, but it has been too close to the reality many times.

SunDevilGolfZag
01-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Highly likely there will be cheap shots. Our guys just need to keep their cool. Just win baby!

ZagMan in Philly
01-30-2017, 05:28 PM
88-65 Zags win in any style of play.

bartruff1
01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
I hope the officials let them play....I don't want to see Mika or Shem sitting on the bench with 2 quick ticky tacky fouls...or anyone else for that matter...

ZionZag
01-30-2017, 06:49 PM
I hope the officials let them play....I don't want to see Mika or Shem sitting on the bench with 2 quick ticky tacky fouls...or anyone else for that matter...

I agree Bart....I also think we are way to big to push around

willandi
01-30-2017, 07:25 PM
I too hope they let them play, but even more I hope that they take the bull by the horns and head off any cheap shots.

I haven't seen the Zags go out to hurt somebody, but I've only been watching since 1999. I have seen BYU players doing that, and it may be their only chance to win. I hope that ANYTHING that looks intentional is called and dealt with.

I want to see a good clean game, and I hope the Zags win by many!

ZionZag
01-30-2017, 07:30 PM
I too hope they let them play, but even more I hope that they take the bull by the horns and head off any cheap shots.

I haven't seen the Zags go out to hurt somebody, but I've only been watching since 1999. I have seen BYU players doing that, and it may be their only chance to win. I hope that ANYTHING that looks intentional is called and dealt with.

I want to see a good clean game, and I hope the Zags win by many!

Ya....I'm guessing the Zebras know the story very well and so does the WCC......our guys just need to keep their heads and I think they will...

sittingon50
01-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I think a good strategy would be to get JWIII pissed.

RenoZag
01-30-2017, 08:43 PM
I could see BYU trying to get J. Williams tossed. . .he's fiery, borderline chippy at times, very emotional guy. He would be the first to defend his fellow Zags. If he were DQ'd, it would be a body blow.

Zagger
01-30-2017, 09:23 PM
BYU will have its hands full with these Zags. The Zag D alone is something BYU has yet to experience - ever. Mika will get swatted by more than one Zag and perimeter D will foil BYU attempts to win via the 3. It'll be an exciting game.

DixieZag
01-30-2017, 10:14 PM

Seeing as how this has been their game plan every single time we've played them, not sure why this guy needs to advocate the strategy this time.

I hate playing these guys. I like that the game are competitive, I don't like that I am truly fearful for our guys in that place. Fearful of them getting hurt, and fearful of them hurting themselves by reacting to cheap shots and getting tossed.

And the OP is right, there's reason to worry about the security in that place b/c they will go nuts if they beat the number one, and they'll go nuts if they get beat by the number one in a semi-close game.

As said, only safe plan is be ahead by 20 a haltime. I think we can do it, too.

cggonzaga
01-30-2017, 10:40 PM
If GU coaches and players are worrying about this stuff then we're in trouble. Fortunately I highly doubt they are. If we just go out and play our game BYU doesn't stand a chance quite frankly.

CDC84
01-31-2017, 08:20 AM
It's pretty amazing just how big the Marriott Center is. I remember driving by it in the late 80's. And I thought the football stadium was enormous:

http://142.4.4.179/~westland/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/1-Marriot-Center-Aerial.jpg

http://cdn.deseretnews.com/images/article/contentimage/449560/449560.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gfbdXpDZLBA/0.jpg

BoZarth
01-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Remember this thread?

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48099-OT-Kaufusi-Remember-him

http://www.bloodrunsblue.com/comics/2013-03-01-2013-3-1-Blood-Runs-Blue.jpg
Go Zags!!!!

TexasZagFan
01-31-2017, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I think a good strategy would be to get JWIII pissed.

My tactical suggestion would be a well-timed hip check from The Impala...he could do it within the flow of the game, thus avoiding a flagrant foul.

U Zig, I Zag
01-31-2017, 09:05 AM
It's pretty amazing just how big the Marriott Center is. I remember driving by it in the late 80's. And I thought the football stadium was enormous:

http://142.4.4.179/~westland/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/1-Marriot-Center-Aerial.jpg

http://cdn.deseretnews.com/images/article/contentimage/449560/449560.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gfbdXpDZLBA/0.jpg

But the beer selection is ####.

CDC84
01-31-2017, 10:09 AM
No beer means quicker restroom lines :)