PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento or Salt Lake City?

75Zag
01-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Greetings All:

Can anybody help me predict where GU will play its first NCAA game in March? Google says that Spokane is 721 miles from Salt Lake City and 821 miles from Sacramento. Does the fact that Salt Lake City is 100 miles closer to Spokane mean that the Bulldogs will get seeded into Salt Lake City as being the "closest venue" to Spokane, assuming the Bulldogs are a top 4 seed in the West? Trying to help Little'75 arrange airfare from her new home in New York.

Thanks, and

Go Bulldogs!

MileHigh
01-29-2017, 11:44 AM
I think it depends on who the other #1's are. Unless UCLA gets a number 1 seed, Zags will be the closest one to Sacramento so I imagine that is the likely landing spot.

seacatfan
01-29-2017, 11:47 AM
IUnless UCLA gets a number 1 seed

chances of that have diminished significantly in the last week

jazzdelmar
01-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Greetings All:

Can anybody help me predict where GU will play its first NCAA game in March? Google says that Spokane is 721 miles from Salt Lake City and 821 miles from Sacramento. Does the fact that Salt Lake City is 100 miles closer to Spokane mean that the Bulldogs will get seeded into Salt Lake City as being the "closest venue" to Spokane, assuming the Bulldogs are a top 4 seed in the West? Trying to help Little'75 arrange airfare from her new home in New York.

Thanks, and

Go Bulldogs!

Better still, 75. Visit her in NYC, best time of year to be in the Apple. Watch at an upscale joint on the east side. Maybe Long Island will buy.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-29-2017, 12:43 PM
I think it depends on who the other #1's are. Unless UCLA gets a number 1 seed, Zags will be the closest one to Sacramento so I imagine that is the likely landing spot.

Zags are closer to SLC, actually. And the Committee puts you at the closer location, always.

UNLESS, the Zags get the #1 OVERALL seed...in which case, they'd get to choose: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/07/18/overall-1-seed-choose-location-first-second-round-ncaa-tournament

(They'd probably still choose SLC anyway)

All Weather Fan
01-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Sure hope it's SLC. Bought tournament tix a month ago on a hunch. Could end up scrambling........

75Zag
01-29-2017, 02:18 PM
Better still, 75. Visit her in NYC, best time of year to be in the Apple. Watch at an upscale joint on the east side. Maybe Long Island will buy.

Excellent idea - and have been spending a lot of time on the East Coast in the past 8 mos. Discovered a restaurant in Manhattan called Felidia which I think is the best restaurant on earth, but what do I know.

My question was more of an "automatic rule" question. As i recall in the old days, top 4 seeds were "automatically" assigned to closest NCAA venue for first weekend. Given that SLC is 100 miles closer to Spokane than Sacramento, I am curious as to whether GU will go to SLC automatically unless they are out of the top 4, in which case I assume they might be sent anywhere in the country depending on NCAA decisions.

Peace to All

Go Bulldogs!

CDC84
01-29-2017, 04:34 PM
This season the number one overall seed gets to choose their subregional location. It's a NCAA change.

If Gonzaga is fortunate enough to be in that position, don't be surprised to see them pick Sacramento for two reasons: 1) Sacramento is further out west and closer to "WCC country." 2) The arena in Salt Lake City has some bad voodoo. It's where #1 Gonzaga lost to Wichita State in the 2nd round (or I guess what was known as the 3rd round back then) in 2013.

The arena in Sacramento is brand new. Might be interesting to play there. Warmer weather as well......

I know this new rule seems redundant, but I can imagine a number of scenarios where the #1 overall might pick a location that isn't the one closest one to their campus. For instance, they might choose a location that has an arena that the team played exceptionally well at in a neutral court victory that is still reasonably close to campus. Maybe the team feels very comfortable shooting at that arena?

Zagend
01-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Actually, the 2013 games were at the old Delta Center. I think this year's tourney is at the university of Utah, as it was Ammo's last year when they beat Xavier and Indiana. Not that I believe in an arena having "bad vibes" but I did enjoy the first one, the second not so much.

CDC84
01-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Nope. It's at the Vivint Smart Home Arena (formerly known as EnergySolutions Arena, formerly known as the Delta Center)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24817188/ncaa-announces-all-mens-tourney-sites-for-2016-2017-2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivint_Smart_Home_Arena

Vivint Smart Home Arena was the site of the West regional semifinals ("Sweet Sixteen") and championship ("Elite Eight") in the 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. The venue also hosted first and second round games in the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and the 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

ZAG 4 LIFE
01-29-2017, 07:22 PM
San Jose :pray:

CDC84
01-29-2017, 07:44 PM
That would be nice for the regional :)

Coach Crazy
01-29-2017, 10:43 PM
I live in South Jordan, Utah. So SLC, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birddog
01-30-2017, 03:41 AM
I live in South Jordan, Utah.

How many Jordans are there, the Fullmers made W Jordan famous. Is there a North and an East as well?

TheGonzagaFactor
01-30-2017, 06:21 AM
We should want Sacramento.

SLC has bad mojo for the Zags. In terms of travel, it could still be VERY cold then.

Sacramento will be warm and there will be no issues with altitude. Zags will already have played and won 4 games in the Bay Area by that time, so it's like a second home.

Also, if we start in Sacramento then advance to San Jose we probably wouldn't even need to come back home in between.

I understand if you bought tickets already, but I can't see any other reasons that we would want SLC.

Snowkane
01-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Hopefully Sacramento. Salt Lake City is... well... it leaves a lot to be desired. I agree with all of the comments supra about Sacramento being our best option.

Snowkane
01-30-2017, 06:40 AM
I live in South Jordan, Utah. So SLC, please.

That is the best of the Jordans. I couldn't live in Provo for numerous reasons, but I wish I could. Holy sh*** that place is beautiful!

RenoZag
02-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Will pull for GU getting the chance to name their first destination. . .

3zagda
02-05-2017, 12:32 PM
SLC certainly has bad mojo for me. That was about the worst I have ever felt after a sporting event. I'd prefer Sacramento.
Seems pretty easy, we just have to win out until selection day to be the #1 overall seed.

ZAG 4 LIFE
02-05-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm sure all of us California Zags are hoping for a
Sacramento-San Jose-Glendale parlay :pray:

Mantua
02-05-2017, 01:27 PM
I am praying that Oregon can be a number one seed or get slotted in another bracket. Eugene is 780 miles from SLC.

team6
02-05-2017, 04:03 PM
I am praying that Oregon can be a number one seed or get slotted in another bracket. Eugene is 780 miles from SLC.

The games are in pods now so technically they could have two 1 seeds in SLC, unless they don't let 1 seeds do this, I didn't research to see if two 1 seeds have ever played in the same gym the first weekend before. I know I was at the portland pod a few years ago and watched 2 different 4 seeds play, Louisville and Indiana and they obviously weren't in the same bracket.

If they both have top 4 seeds they might end up in the same place even if one isn't in the west bracket.

DixieZag
02-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Here's a thing. The number one seed in the whole tournament gets to PICK it's own POD. http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-no-1-overall-seed-in-the-ncaa-tournament-just-got-a-huge-reward/

One twist coming next season: The No. 1 overall seed will be able to choose the location of its first two games of the tournament. So if that team is Duke, or Kentucky, or Kansas, or whichever school gets put atop the 1-68 seed list, that program will get to pick where it plays its first and second-round games.

"Preferences would be communicated by teams in contention for the overall No. 1 seed far in advance of Selection Sunday in a process to be determined," the NCAA said in a statement.

This means a handful of teams will look at all eight first-weekend sites and let the selection committee know which one it prefers. The top-seeded program won't know which team(s) it'll be playing, but it will get dibs on digs, which is a nice little update.

Cities playing host to first and second-round NCAA tournament games next March are Buffalo, Milwaukee, Orlando, Salt Lake City, Greensboro, Indianapolis, Tulsa and Sacramento.

I guess we've never had occasion to worry about what the number one seed of the whole tournament gets to do or not do. Seems like a good reason to keep this undefeated thing going and win it all.