• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Sacramento or Salt Lake City?

Greetings All:

Can anybody help me predict where GU will play its first NCAA game in March? Google says that Spokane is 721 miles from Salt Lake City and 821 miles from Sacramento. Does the fact that Salt Lake City is 100 miles closer to Spokane mean that the Bulldogs will get seeded into Salt Lake City as being the "closest venue" to Spokane, assuming the Bulldogs are a top 4 seed in the West? Trying to help Little'75 arrange airfare from her new home in New York.

Thanks, and

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • MileHigh
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Jul 2014

I think it depends on who the other #1's are. Unless UCLA gets a number 1 seed, Zags will be the closest one to Sacramento so I imagine that is the likely landing spot.

Comment

• seacatfan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MileHigh View Post
      IUnless UCLA gets a number 1 seed
      chances of that have diminished significantly in the last week

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 75Zag View Post
        Greetings All:

Can anybody help me predict where GU will play its first NCAA game in March? Google says that Spokane is 721 miles from Salt Lake City and 821 miles from Sacramento. Does the fact that Salt Lake City is 100 miles closer to Spokane mean that the Bulldogs will get seeded into Salt Lake City as being the "closest venue" to Spokane, assuming the Bulldogs are a top 4 seed in the West? Trying to help Little'75 arrange airfare from her new home in New York.

Thanks, and

Go Bulldogs!
        Better still, 75. Visit her in NYC, best time of year to be in the Apple. Watch at an upscale joint on the east side. Maybe Long Island will buy.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by MileHigh View Post
          I think it depends on who the other #1's are. Unless UCLA gets a number 1 seed, Zags will be the closest one to Sacramento so I imagine that is the likely landing spot.
          Zags are closer to SLC, actually. And the Committee puts you at the closer location, always.

UNLESS, the Zags get the #1 OVERALL seed...in which case, they'd get to choose: http://www.si.com/college-basketball...caa-tournament

(They'd probably still choose SLC anyway)

Comment

• All Weather Fan
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Mar 2015

Sure hope it's SLC. Bought tournament tix a month ago on a hunch. Could end up scrambling........

Comment

• 75Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Better still, 75. Visit her in NYC, best time of year to be in the Apple. Watch at an upscale joint on the east side. Maybe Long Island will buy.
              Excellent idea - and have been spending a lot of time on the East Coast in the past 8 mos. Discovered a restaurant in Manhattan called Felidia which I think is the best restaurant on earth, but what do I know.

My question was more of an "automatic rule" question. As i recall in the old days, top 4 seeds were "automatically" assigned to closest NCAA venue for first weekend. Given that SLC is 100 miles closer to Spokane than Sacramento, I am curious as to whether GU will go to SLC automatically unless they are out of the top 4, in which case I assume they might be sent anywhere in the country depending on NCAA decisions.

Peace to All

Go Bulldogs!
              Last edited by 75Zag; 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM.
              Do not go gentle into that good night,
              Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
              Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

This season the number one overall seed gets to choose their subregional location. It's a NCAA change.

If Gonzaga is fortunate enough to be in that position, don't be surprised to see them pick Sacramento for two reasons: 1) Sacramento is further out west and closer to "WCC country." 2) The arena in Salt Lake City has some bad voodoo. It's where #1 Gonzaga lost to Wichita State in the 2nd round (or I guess what was known as the 3rd round back then) in 2013.

The arena in Sacramento is brand new. Might be interesting to play there. Warmer weather as well......

I know this new rule seems redundant, but I can imagine a number of scenarios where the #1 overall might pick a location that isn't the one closest one to their campus. For instance, they might choose a location that has an arena that the team played exceptionally well at in a neutral court victory that is still reasonably close to campus. Maybe the team feels very comfortable shooting at that arena?

Comment

• Zagend
                  Redshirt
                  • Feb 2016

Actually, the 2013 games were at the old Delta Center. I think this year's tourney is at the university of Utah, as it was Ammo's last year when they beat Xavier and Indiana. Not that I believe in an arena having "bad vibes" but I did enjoy the first one, the second not so much.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Nope. It's at the Vivint Smart Home Arena (formerly known as EnergySolutions Arena, formerly known as the Delta Center)

Vivint Smart Home Arena was the site of the West regional semifinals ("Sweet Sixteen") and championship ("Elite Eight") in the 2010 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. The venue also hosted first and second round games in the 2013 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and the 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.

Comment

• ZAG 4 LIFE
                      Kennel Club
                      • Nov 2014

San Jose

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

That would be nice for the regional

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                          • Apr 2011

I live in South Jordan, Utah. So SLC, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Birddog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
                            I live in South Jordan, Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            How many Jordans are there, the Fullmers made W Jordan famous. Is there a North and an East as well?
                            Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                            Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                            All mimsy were the borogoves,
                            And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2011

We should want Sacramento.

SLC has bad mojo for the Zags. In terms of travel, it could still be VERY cold then.

Sacramento will be warm and there will be no issues with altitude. Zags will already have played and won 4 games in the Bay Area by that time, so it's like a second home.

Also, if we start in Sacramento then advance to San Jose we probably wouldn't even need to come back home in between.

I understand if you bought tickets already, but I can't see any other reasons that we would want SLC.
                              "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

Working...
                              X