PDA

View Full Version : Will/Should Coach Few redshirt anyone?

tyra
10-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Lots of discussion about this great, great depth. We all acknowledge that sorting it out and the competition to sort it out, should be and likely will be constructive. But given that at the end of the day, we have 13 quality players and we KNOW that many will NOT get minutes, the question remains: Will or should Coach Few redshirt anyone? Would that be best for the individual involved as well as the team? Why or why not? I don't ask this question with anyone in particular in mind but rather, as a generic question about the best strategy. Any responses?

brasszag
10-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't think there will be any redshirts this year, but I'd like to see "Little Will" take one to focus on conditioning, along with putting some more muscle on and work to refine his post moves.

BobZag
10-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Foster is the only possibility, imo.

gamagin
10-14-2007, 10:55 AM
"might" be red shirted. This was in response to a direct question about the big man.

Nevtelen
10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I doubt there will be, but I think Will could benefit down the road from a RS year. Just the extra year to improve could be huge for him, especially with the possibly limited PT he'd see again this year. OTOH, the team has lots of talent down low, but its a lot of it is unproven, so Will at least brings _some_ experience down there. But who knows how it'll work out.

In some ways, I'd also like to see a guy like Ira sit out a year. Not that he necessarily needs the devlopment time, but the wing is going to be sooooo crowded this season, I think Ira might get more overall PT at GU and provide a bigger contribution if he red-shirted and then had more time when there might be more PT at the wing. Of course, if Taylor committs to GU, that might not happen either. Anyway, I just don't see this happening at all, so it's probably a moot debate.

wiszag
10-14-2007, 04:13 PM
I'd really like to see Will redshirt. He could really benefit from some time in the weight room and the COG.

When Brian Butch came to Wisconsin as a McDonald's AA, Bo Ryan had him do a rebound drill with one of the upper classmen. Butch was three or fours inches taller and absolutely got schooled. Every player makes his own decision on whether he wants to redshirt or not but it became obvious to Butch that he needed to get stronger. I think he's still the only Burger boy to ever redshirt.

I think Will was forced to play last year because of injuries. I also think he's aware of what he needs to do to get better. I don't know anything about his academics but I can imagine a year focusing on school and getting bigger physically would have a huge benefit for the longhaul.

Either way, this is going to be one hell of a year.

Birddog
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
I think Will was forced to play last year because of injuries

Will was on record last year saying he didn't want to redshirt. He also knew that PT would be limited. He played in an early game IIRC, it wasn't just late in the season.

Birddog

spudzag
10-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe the other question is would it benefit Will to redshirt and return to battle Sacre for time in his sophomore year?

This is now the new norm. Consistantly signing very solid recruits who are most likely 4 years guys will make this situation the new normal state of affairs.

A few deep runs in the tournement might attract a top 20 guy or two that leave after a year or 2 and the dymanic changes again. But for now, it looks like a jammed roster with good atheletes working to diffentiate themselves. Not a bad thing. Leaders will always emerge.

wiszag
10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
I disagree. Theo was out, Micah and Burgess weren't eligible, and Larry was out. I don't think the decision to play or redshirt was made in a vaccuum. This was what was printed at the time.

"The status of 7-4 freshman Will Foster is still being evaluated. With potential season-ending injuries to Larry Gurganious and Theo Davis, the decision whether to redshirt Foster or not isn't an easy one. The product of White River High in Buckley, Wash., could use the year to improve his strength and his skills, but the Bulldogs have just 11 healthy bodies heading into the season opener."

Rangerzag
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Will was on record last year saying he didn't want to redshirt. He also knew that PT would be limited. He played in an early game IIRC, it wasn't just late in the season.

Birddog

I am remembering it the same way the Birddog does.

Will got hardly any playing time till long after he insisted he would not be red shirting even though advised he would not have much if any playing time.

HOOTER
10-15-2007, 08:55 AM
When I look at the depth on this years team it's hard to imagine that Few won't redshirt anyone. I've seen Foster's name thrown around and that make's sense. He could use a year to bulk up and study the system. Beyond that it's hard to come up with another redshirt candidate. There are certain guys on the team like Pargo, Pendergraft, and Heytvelt, that I think deserve at least 25-30 minutes a game. Then there are those player's like Downs, Gurganious, Bouldin, and Kuso who should get 20 minutes, give or take. If my math is correct, considering there is 200 minutes per game to split up between five players at a time, that only leaves around forty minutes to divie up between five very talented newbies. That's a tough task even for a coach as brilliant as Few. If finding minutes for everyone on the team is the worst of the Zag's problems this year then they are in very good shape.

roxdoc
10-15-2007, 09:25 AM
The solution......

More overtime games!:o

CDC84
10-15-2007, 09:31 AM
One solution.......

Putting away teams when the Zags have them by the neck instead of letting them hang around within striking distance. If the Zags can put teams away, their starters and key subs can rest so that the rest of the bench guys can get PT.

roxdoc
10-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I like your solution better:D

HOOTER
10-15-2007, 09:58 AM
One solution.......

Putting away teams when the Zags have them by the neck instead of letting them hang around within striking distance. If the Zags can put teams away, their starters and key subs can rest so that the rest of the bench guys can get PT.

Excellent point. The Zag's have been known for easing off a little when they have a comfortable lead. That, of course, allows their opponent to get back into the game, which then keeps the starters on the floor for long periods of time. If they can mantain a high level of intensity then playing time will be easier to manage.

tyra
10-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Yes, yes, yes. That's it! More big margin games allowing distributed playing time and "saving legs" for March and "the run." Everyone wins.

HillBillyZag
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Besides being 7'5" tall, which cannot be taught, Will runs the floor well, has good board position, a nice jumper and is working on a real nasty little baby hook. He is also a bright young man who I think wants to stay and get his degree. When I watch Big Will now I think of former MSU center Paul Davis, who used his strength and size to become an efficent and dominant post player. With a Red-shirt this season, IMHO Foster will improve his status from being merely a role player who can contribute, to being a WEAPON, who plays a key part for three yrs here. I think he realizes this and the redshirt would benefit Will & the Gonzaga program.

former1dog
10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I would also like to see Big Will redshirt, but given his decision last year, I don't think it is likely.

Rubbadub
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Besides being 7'5" tall, which cannot be taught, Will runs the floor well, has good board position, a nice jumper and is working on a real nasty little baby hook. He is also a bright young man who I think wants to stay and get his degree. When I watch Big Will now I think of former MSU center Paul Davis, who used his strength and size to become an efficent and dominant post player. With a Red-shirt this season, IMHO Foster will improve his status from being merely a role player who can contribute, to being a WEAPON, who plays a key part for three yrs here. I think he realizes this and the redshirt would benefit Will & the Gonzaga program.

Your arguments are about the same as were presented this time last year. IMO, what you say is and was very logical. The staff said he wouldn't get much playing time and wanted him to RS and improve. He decided not to.

dim4sum
10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Above were comments about Foster needing to use the weightroom so he can bulk up. Excuse me if I dip into the archives and quote Johnny Wooden, a guy who won 10 NCAA championships.
"We don't need all that stuff (conditioning equipment) when we have bleachers that players can run up and down and a track just outside. Quickness usually wins in basketball. Bulk only works for shotputters."
Has anything changed since that comment more than 30 years ago???
Maybe it's Sacre who should be redshirting and running the bleachers.

HOOTER
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Above were comments about Foster needing to use the weightroom so he can bulk up. Excuse me if I dip into the archives and quote Johnny Wooden, a guy who won 10 NCAA championships.
"We don't need all that stuff (conditioning equipment) when we have bleachers that players can run up and down and a track just outside. Quickness usually wins in basketball. Bulk only works for shotputters."

I'm picking up what your putting down dim. The only problem is that it has been coach Few that has placed the importance on bulking up. He feels it is neccessary for his big men to actually be big, not just quick, and considering the long line of talented big men that have come out of Gonzaga in recent years I'm not about to argue.

former1dog
10-15-2007, 02:18 PM

(Exasperated sigh) :confused:

Not to be rude, but please tell me you're not an athletic trainer or coach. That is absolutely the worst advice you could give any athlete in any sport. Weight lifting is an essential part of any successful athletes training program. Weight training only "bulks you up" if that is the intended result. Otherwise, proper resistance or weight training are essential for improving strength, flexibility and helps to prevent injuries, not cause them (JH's freak occurrence not withstanding).

I say all this being a former competitive distance runner.

HOOTER
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
(Exasperated sigh) :confused:

Good point dog. Bulking up is not just about increasing physical size. I can do that by eating at McDonalds for every meal. Quickness is extremely important, but when your a big for a team like Gonzaga who plays elite basketball teams every year, you better have the size, strength, and endurance to battle some of the nations best big men. Alot has changed in the last 30 years. Athletes are stronger and faster then ever before. Bleachers just don't cut it anymore.

HOOTER
10-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, yes, yes. That's it! More big margin games allowing distributed playing time and "saving legs" for March and "the run." Everyone wins.

I'd say we should present this strategy to coach Few but I already know what response we would receive.

"easier said than done!"

And he'd be right.

OZZag
10-15-2007, 03:36 PM

I think we should wait and see how Sacre and Foster do early on, they wouldn't be so excited about Sacre if there wasn't a good reason!

lothar98zag
10-15-2007, 04:51 PM
I would also like to see Big Will redshirt, but given his decision last year, I don't think it is likely.
ditto