PDA

View Full Version : Is karno the best post passer the zags have had?

Zags11
01-26-2017, 05:31 PM
I think he is one of the best I have seen since watching from 1994 when I was 10. He passes so well out of the double, and is very accurate.

Thoughts?

seacatfan
01-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Can't think of anyone that was better.

zag67
01-26-2017, 06:17 PM
I think that to me the key is he sees the floor better than anyone that we have had. Then he is able to pass to the "best" open shot. Sometimes it is for a 3 and sometimes even when that is open, he finds an open layin by someone like Williams. Fun to watch.

Hoopaholic
01-26-2017, 06:52 PM
I think that to me the key is he sees the floor better than anyone that we have had. Then he is able to pass to the "best" open shot. Sometimes it is for a 3 and sometimes even when that is open, he finds an open layin by someone like Williams. Fun to watch.
Combined with his feel and understanding of where the double coming from

Snagglezag
01-26-2017, 06:55 PM
He very well could be, but Olynyk was exceptional, too. Both a joy to watch.

PFzag
01-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Can't even think of a close second place. His patience in the block in waiting for and recognizing the double is really special. He's like a veteran QB that just takes what the defense gives him. Positive things happen on offense almost every time he touches the ball in the low post.

NumberCruncher
01-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Axel Dench had 159 assists.

whatazag
01-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Ryan Edwards took over the crown tonight. Perfect percentage on outlet passes to assists.

GonzaGAW
01-26-2017, 07:23 PM
yes

MontanaCoyote
01-26-2017, 07:31 PM
The question answers itself, but just in case...............YES!!

ZenZag
01-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Continue to run the offense through him. It's amazing and fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProVeeZag
01-26-2017, 07:45 PM
The correct answer is (wait for it) hell yes!

And a shout out to NumberCruncher for mentioning Axel Dench, a charter member of the GU "all-name team".

Ekrub
01-26-2017, 08:03 PM
The correct answer is (wait for it) hell yes!

And a shout out to NumberCruncher for mentioning Axel Dench, a charter member of the GU "all-name team".

Right up there with mamery Diablo. Killian Tillie will make this list as well. Bol Kong is another

ZagNation
01-26-2017, 08:08 PM
Was Karnowski the only current player on the #1 ranked team a few years ago?

KStyles
01-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Was Karnowski the only current player on the #1 ranked team a few years ago?

I believe it was Rem's true freshman year as well.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Karnowski is the best post passer that college basketball has had since Kevin Love. Case closed.

On the other hand, when you have as many great three pt. shooters as GU has, and when you have a PF that cuts to the basket as well as JWIII, it helps Karno become a great passer. A lot of big guys don't have those kinds of players to pass to.

Zags11
01-27-2017, 01:45 AM
Karnowski is the best post passer that college basketball has had since Kevin Love. Case closed.

On the other hand, when you have as many great three pt. shooters as GU has, and when you have a PF that cuts to the basket as well as JWIII, it helps Karno become a great passer. A lot of big guys don't have those kinds of players to pass to.

That flip over his head to jwill? Was beautiful.

Zagger
01-27-2017, 03:51 AM
Yep! KO was pretty good too. Karnowski can really bullet the ball though. I'd be afraid of breaking fingers trying to catch some of his tosses. Mt K is not just big he's STRONG and quick.

former1dog
01-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Jeff Brown, during my student days, was called the bermuda triangle by his teammates. When the ball went in, it never came back out. So, he's not a candidate for best post passer. ;)

Karnowski is the best post passer since I've been following GU basketball since about 1988.

RenoZag
01-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Who is " Mamery Diablo " ?

TravelinZag
01-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Superb!! Possibly one or two of the old timers in his league, but none since Zags began current "run to excellence."

sideshow06
01-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Can't think of anyone that was better.

Wow guys. John Stockton just turned in his grave.

former1dog
01-27-2017, 09:43 AM

Was John Stockton a post passer? In other words, did John Stockton pass from the post?

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 09:51 AM

A bit premature, aren't we?

JPtheBeasta
01-27-2017, 10:11 AM
He very well could be, but Olynyk was exceptional, too. Both a joy to watch.

The big-to-big passing was something I think Olynyk was good at and I think PK and JW3 have been developing some good chemistry over the past several games. It's not too hard to recognize a double and pass out to the 3-point line, in my opinion. That interior passing is the next evolution is has been fun to watch.

Zagdawg
01-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Karno is indeed a very solid passing big man-- it is nice to have a good array of shooters who can bury the open three when they receive the pass from Karno.

The guys on the team know they have an opportunity for the dump off/close to the basket pass also --as soon as they see him with the ball they attack the opposite side and many times get an easy layin/dunk.

GoZag
01-27-2017, 10:21 AM

That is a wow. I knew he was still alive. Now can someone help him get out of his grave?

Ekrub
01-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Who is " Mamery Diablo " ?

Autocorrect, should have read diallo.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/diallo_mamery00.html

Don't remember him ever on the court. But the name has stuck with me

CDC84
01-27-2017, 10:38 AM
I vividly remember Diallo delivering a vicious dunk in GU's 2005 loss at UW.

A juco transfer that didn't really pan out. Probably was a good practice player though due to his size and athleticism.

maynard g krebs
01-27-2017, 10:45 AM
I don't remember a college big who passed it better than Karno since Bill Walton. I don't think Love was any better as a passer; roughly equal? Although Love was the best outlet passer on the fast break since Unseld imo.

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 10:49 AM
I don't remember a college big who passed it better than Karno since Bill Walton. I don't think Love was any better as a passer; roughly equal? Although Love was the best outlet passer on the fast break since Unseld imo.

Wow...Wes Unseld...that's going back a ways.

sideshow06
01-27-2017, 10:55 AM
That is a wow. I knew he was still alive. Now can someone help him get out of his grave?

That was a purposefully hyperbolic joke. I was just surprised that it took an SMC grad to come in and mention one of the greatest passers in basketball history. But then I noticed the "post" passer. So my bad (could have sworn that was not in the original title).

jagwalkley
01-27-2017, 10:56 AM
I agree Karno is really looking good. Kevin Love was the one I loved to watch.One time he got a rebound and put the ball over his head and throw a full court pass all the way to the other end for a dunk.Had to see it to believe it.That kid was strong and could rebound.Karno is going to help make this year really,really special.

maynard g krebs
01-27-2017, 11:06 AM

Guess I should say since Walton on outlet passes as well.

Zags11
01-27-2017, 01:16 PM
That was a purposefully hyperbolic joke. I was just surprised that it took an SMC grad to come in and mention one of the greatest passers in basketball history. But then I noticed the "post" passer. So my bad (could have sworn that was not in the original title).

Oh it was. ;)

OZZY
01-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Kelly Olynyk is up there with Karno (and I love Karno).

The only thing is that he wasn't a starter as long as big Shem so we really only saw him for one year as a facilitator.

Also the team relied in KO more that year to score, whereas this year GU has more weapons.

ProVeeZag
01-27-2017, 01:49 PM

That is going back to the mid-1960's. At the time, I remember thinking what a "widebody" Unseld was. "Officially" he was listed at 6'7", 245 lbs which was a good size for the time. In today's game, he would need to shed pounds and become a small forward. He was a ferocious rebounder. He averaged a shade under 19 rebounds per game at Louisville over 82 games (had to play for the "freshman team" in '65 where he averaged 35 points and 23 boards per contest. Let those numbers sink in ... 35 and 23!) Source of Data: Wikipedia

bballbeachbum
01-28-2017, 10:07 AM

agreed, and also on the outlet passing of Unseld and Walton; Karno showing it off in the half court instead of the outlet, but his ability to diagnose and then decide as a 7 footer, to read and react, is right there with the best I've seen.

Malastein
01-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Ben Simmons was a better passing big than Karnowski or Kevin Love. Karnowski is definitely in the mold of Marc Gasol or Andrew Bogut. He'll be in the league next year.

MDABE80
01-28-2017, 11:49 AM
I hope you're right Mal re: NBA for Karno.
I will say this: Karno is the best passing "big" in the college game this year. Just my opinion. He's surely got the best "view" of the court. It's a new skill developed this year. Quite the leap in his play.

Goshzagit
01-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Shout out to the unheralded Sam Dower.

Terrific passer on High loe action.

MontanaCoyote
01-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Shout out to the unheralded Sam Dower.

Terrific passer on High loe action.

Some recent somewhat related posts on Karno over on GUunit of game, San Diego.