PDA

View Full Version : Polls - what are they voting for?

Shanachie
01-26-2017, 10:25 AM
This has come up from time to time in the past, but with all the "who's #1" talk, I thought I'd bring it up again.

I always wonder what the criteria is for the AP Poll (or the coaches' poll, or any other) if there is any. (I've never seen any guidance for voters, so I'm guessing they don't provide it.) I suspect that different voters vote based on different ideas of what they are voting for, which partly explains the odd results we sometimes see. For example, some might vote based on resume (what have teams done so far this year), others may vote based on how good they think teams are right now, still others based on how good they think teams will be by tournament time. I'm sure there are many other approaches.

Depending on what approach a voter takes, different things are taken into account. If you're a "resume" voter, an injury that occurs this week wouldn't change your voting - it's all based on what teams have done already - but if you're a "how good they are" or "how good they will be in the tournament" voter, that injury could make a big difference in your vote.

My guess is that most voters either consciously or unconsciously take a combined approach. You can't be a strictly resume voter, not taking into account injuries, suspensions, etc., but it also doesn't make sense to be strictly a "how they are playing now" voter, or you'd be moving teams up and down all the time based on one or two games they played this week.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what they think voters are doing, and also what they should be doing.

gonzagafan62
01-26-2017, 12:08 PM
What they should be doing is voting who they think is actually the best team with the best resume. Right now if you lose your spot goes down and if you win you go up. Makes little sense

EDIT: you make a good point about injuries and suspensions, but that would have to be taken into effect after said player or coach comes back. Gary Parrish does a good job of resume voting while taking everything into effect IMO

ZagsGoZags
01-26-2017, 12:23 PM
thankfully we have a single elimination tournament every year to put all matters of speculation aside each year.
nice to see college football moving in the same direction with its 4 team championship

personally I like to watch two teams play and then imagine how many would this team win out of 10 games played,
by this criteria I have no idea where we stand, because AZ is our only real yardstick, while the other
elite teams are busy giving each other losses
Where would zags be if they had played nova, duke, nc, kansas, etc. already. I estimate two losses, but have
no idea and wont till we play some of them.
it is easier to find out with them because they play each other in the season and we rarely do.
Titus, or was it Bilas, that wrote last week he would rank GU first on Monday, but thinks we are actually 4th or 5th best team in country

jagwalkley
01-26-2017, 12:59 PM
I think we will be rated #1 if we win over the week-end. As far as being the best team in America, I doubt it.It is a long season and that is what makes it fun.We are just stuck in a league where we do not get a chance to really see what we would do under pressure each week?

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-26-2017, 01:26 PM
https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-server/v1/compositions/4308526/views/1,width=300,height=300,version=1452254899/i-voted-for-pedro-men-s-t-shirt-by-american-apparel.jpg