PDA

View Full Version : Injury report?

jazzdelmar
01-25-2017, 05:21 AM
Injury report, anyone?

vandalzag
01-25-2017, 05:29 AM
Injury report, anyone?

My back is sore but I am gutting it out at work. Thanks for asking.

gonstu
01-25-2017, 05:30 AM
Injury report, anyone?

Was thinking the same thing. No news out of spokane?

GoZags
01-25-2017, 05:51 AM

Rub a little dirt on it ....

Zagceo
01-25-2017, 06:23 AM
Just day old news

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/23/killian-tillies-injury-overshadows-gonzagas-win-at/

CDC84
01-25-2017, 07:54 AM
https://twitter.com/SRjimm

sittingon50
01-25-2017, 08:51 AM
They were going to take yesterday off, so was not expecting anything.

Perhaps after practice this afternoon.

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Rub a little dirt on it ....

Big D's helping out his Opa, volunteering to walk the dog home after we pick him up after-school.

It's quite a sight to see them together, a 40 lb boy and a 90 lb dog walking stride for stride.

She's not trained, she's just gassed after a couple of miles...lol.

ProVeeZag
01-25-2017, 10:14 AM

In other words, you're "day to day"? Aren't we all...

JPtheBeasta
01-25-2017, 10:44 AM
Good to see that sarcasm is operating at a championship level.

jazzdelmar
01-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Good to see that sarcasm is operating at a championship level.

Yes, very helpful. And particularly hilarious.

Goshzagit
01-25-2017, 09:16 PM
I tapped two sources to no avail. Tight lipped.

No details relaeased, not even to people within or around the program at this time.

Interesting...usually this means either good/safe news all around...or the exact opposite.

At least we'll know tomorrow, as the team is required to release an update before tip off.

We know Tillie is injured, however the severity & prognosis is unknown.

Personally, I am most curious about J3's knee, esp considering his previous issues. Was it re-injured, same as before, or something he could play or nag him the rest of the season?

Although, JWIII IS expected to play vs USD. I'd like to know if its the same knee issue which bothered him all off season? Will he have to pull a Blake Stepp or Pangos or Bouldin & play at 50% the rest of the way?

I will be anxiously awaiting updates.

I still feel our quiet MVP this season has been JWIII. He has brought an element we havent had before...a shot blocking, skilled, athletic, & rangy 4/PF man. He has been the x factor. We have had great PG's before, and big men, but not guys who can defend, slash, & play above the rim with BCS forwards. He's the high motor glue in the paint this team needs to advance past a 2nd wkend.

And his post game is built upon his hops and healthy knees.

gonstu
01-25-2017, 09:54 PM
I tapped two sources to no avail. Tight lipped.

No details relaeased, not even to people within or around the program at this time.

Interesting...usually this means either good/safe news all around...or the exact opposite.

At least we'll know tomorrow, as the team is required to release an update before tip off.

We know Tillie is injured, however the severity & prognosis is unknown.

I have no sources. My guess is no news = bad news. Either way, the season moves on.

CDC84
01-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Actually, I usually find that no news is good news. Usually with most programs if a kid has a catastrophic injury, you hear about it soon after the medical results have come in. That would've meant yesterday or today. Jim Meehan did his pre-game story:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/25/first-things-first-gonzaga-entertains-toreros/

Gonzaga could be without freshman forward Killian Tillie, who sprained his ankle in Monday’s win at Portland. Junior forward Johnathan Williams, who hobbled off the floor about 30 seconds after Tillie, is expected to play.

"Could be without" suggests to me that there is a slight possibility he could play, and they want to keep the Toreros "wondering." Either that or that he probably won't play, but that this isn't a thing that they think will go on for weeks and weeks and weeks. But what do I know.

As for JWIII, from what I saw during the replay, and from what I have heard, he just bumped knees with the Portland player. I have done that before, and it can be quite painful for a period. We'll be able to see if it is something that could keep nagging him if it effects his explosiveness against USD. You can usually tell if a player is favoring a leg as well.

gonstu
01-25-2017, 10:59 PM
hope youre right

CDC84
01-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Me too. I realize that Gonzaga tends to be "Fort Knox" about these things, but if you monitor how most programs handle injury issues with their players, if it is something very serious, you usually hear about it right away because there is no advantage gained by keeping the injury a mystery. Sooner or later the word gets out that the player is really hurt, and coaches can start game planning with the assumption that the hurt player won't be playing.

Zagger
01-26-2017, 03:33 AM
Sprained both my ankles once - same time. I sure looked funny walking around! They were bad sprains but they healed up more quickly than for how ugly & fat they looked. First couple of days were tuff though. Once the swelling went down I could get around OK, then healing took off. It was maybe two weeks before my feet felt normal and I was back at things and hiking over rough terrain. Hiking boots helped. Not sure what Tillie might wear when he's first back on the court. I suspect some sort of high top shoes (and some serious taping).

Birddog
01-26-2017, 03:42 AM
Sprained both my ankles once - same time. I sure looked funny walking around! They were bad sprains but they healed up more quickly than for how ugly & fat they looked. First couple of days were tuff though. Once the swelling went down I could get around OK, then healing took off. It was maybe two weeks before my feet felt normal and I was back at things and hiking over rough terrain. Hiking boots helped. Not sure what Tillie might wear when he's first back on the court. I suspect some sort of high top shoes (and some serious taping).

I can't see Tillie in hiking boots. These players just need to harden up, tape up their ankles real good and just prior to tipoff take a big shot of really cheap whiskey. That's what we used to do.

gonstu
01-26-2017, 04:31 AM
I can't see Tillie in hiking boots. These players just need to harden up, tape up their ankles real good and just prior to tipoff take a big shot of really cheap whiskey. That's what we used to do.

I'm glad you're not in charge of his rehab plan, stay away from tillie!

Birddog
01-26-2017, 05:38 AM
I'm glad you're not in charge of his rehab plan, stay away from tillie!

Are you questioning my medical skills? Fireball or Jaegermeister would be acceptable substitutes for cheap whisky.

Goshzagit
01-26-2017, 05:48 AM
I found it interesting (odd?) that Tillie said in post-game interviews he mildly sprained the same ankle 1 or 2 wks ago, yet he was wearing his low tops vs Portland...with no extra tape.

This caught me by surprise.

Either that is on the player for covering it up...or on the trainer for not taking extra precautions (or on Nike for requiring a certain shoe).

Someone let it fall through the cracks for apparently good reason.

Even more interesting, is that Tillie sometimes wears high top shoes throughout the season. He wears different shoes all the time. Why was he wearing his low tops if he had recently sprained the same ankle? Was their still some residual swelling?

Who knows, we will never know, but found it odd to say the least. Didn't quite make sense imo.

Lastly, we don't know if wearing his normal high-top shoe would have made any difference, yet given the fact he said he had already sprained the same ankle, well, see for yourself...

Kill in his high tops:

http://binaryapi.ap.org/98f01a3ff8c545e09a8ba7e27636ed1d/460x.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gonzaga-bulldogs-forward-killian-tillie-during-the-first-half-of-the-picture-id625824910
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gonzaga-freshman-forward-killian-tillie-looks-for-a-teammate-to-pass-picture-id628634478?s=594x594
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gonzaga-freshman-forward-killian-tillie-dunks-during-the-game-between-picture-id628634588?s=594x594
http://binaryapi.ap.org/4a168d1012214b1086106a75eb6fb462/460x.jpg

Kill in his "low" tops (only worn a couple times all season, and no extra/leather/strap support as seen above):

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/01/23/Gonzaga_Portland_Basketball.JPG_lOaI28X.jpg

edit: upon further review and asking the Doctor seated next to me (a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports related injuries) says without a doubt the shoes can make a difference. not really "high" vs "low" top so much, but rather the construction of the shoe itself. Notes the foot strength/support plays a large part in ankle integrity, even moreso than the support around the ankle, which is why the foot should also be taped or supported before and after injury. Seemed to notice the shoe material the night of Killians injury is not strapped or supported, rather looser, lighter, or more breathable construction. Designed for running, not jumping or high impact. Not suspecting the cause of the injury, of course, but would much rather have his patients wearing more supportive shoe [as seen in most games] for hardwood sports like bball. That was it…just a quick note on the difference in shoes being worn.

DixieZag
01-26-2017, 06:40 AM
I found it interesting (odd?) that Tillie said in post-game interviews he mildly sprained the same ankle 1 or 2 wks ago, yet he was wearing his low tops vs Portland...with no extra tape.

This caught me by surprise.

Either that is on the player for covering it up...or on the trainer for not taking extra precautions (or on Nike for requiring a certain shoe).

Someone let it fall through the cracks for apparently good reason.

Even more interesting, is that Tillie sometimes wears high top shoes throughout the season. He wears different shoes all the time. Why was he wearing his low tops if he had recently sprained the same ankle? Was their still some residual swelling?

Who knows, we will never know, but found it odd to say the least. Didn't quite make sense imo.

Lastly, we don't know if wearing his normal high-top shoe would have made any difference, yet given the fact he said he had already sprained the same ankle, well, see for yourself...

Kill in his high tops:

http://binaryapi.ap.org/98f01a3ff8c545e09a8ba7e27636ed1d/460x.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gonzaga-bulldogs-forward-killian-tillie-during-the-first-half-of-the-picture-id625824910
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gonzaga-freshman-forward-killian-tillie-looks-for-a-teammate-to-pass-picture-id628634478?s=594x594
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/gonzaga-freshman-forward-killian-tillie-dunks-during-the-game-between-picture-id628634588?s=594x594
http://binaryapi.ap.org/4a168d1012214b1086106a75eb6fb462/460x.jpg

Kill in his "low" tops (only worn a couple times all season, and no extra/leather/strap support as seen above):

http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/01/23/Gonzaga_Portland_Basketball.JPG_lOaI28X.jpg

edit: upon further review and asking the Doctor seated next to me (a pediatric orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports related injuries) says without a doubt the shoes can make a difference. not really "high" vs "low" top so much, but rather the construction of the shoe itself. Notes the foot strength/support plays a large part in ankle integrity, even moreso than the support around the ankle, which is why the foot should also be taped or supported before and after injury. Seemed to notice the shoe material the night of Killians injury is not strapped or supported, rather looser, lighter, or more breathable construction. Designed for running, not jumping or high impact. Not suspecting the cause of the injury, of course, but would much rather have his patients wearing more supportive shoe [as seen in most games] for hardwood sports like bball. That was it…just a quick note on the difference in shoes being worn.

Interesting interview from the anon ortho. I woulda thought shoes made a big difference.

I will bet they tape him to the point they cut off blood flow the rest of the season. It'll still be weaker.

Goshzagit
01-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Interesting interview from the anon ortho. I woulda thought shoes made a big difference.

I will bet they tape him to the point they cut off blood flow the rest of the season. It'll still be weaker.

I work all day every day, side-by-side with neuro-surgeons (ugh), neuro-radiologists (ok), and orthopedic spinal surgeons (yay). Considering I spend around 3/4th's of my time in the operating room, I cross paths with all sorts of medical professionals. Much like we have Abe and others here, I pick their brains on certain medical questions outside my scope. As it relates to neuro imaging, specific joints (back, hip, shoulder), spine issues (like Karno), or bone related injuries, I can be of some assistance, just as JPBatista can be…

Sports injuries or extremity/joint issues are not my cup o tea.

jazzdelmar
01-26-2017, 07:10 AM
In all my playground years I never heard that highs were better at fending off ankle injuries than lows......That's apocryyphal.

Goshzagit
01-26-2017, 07:12 AM
In all my playground years I never heard that highs were better at fending off ankle injuries than lows......That's apocryyphal.

and that is precisely what I found out and mentioned above, although the construction of the shoe apparently does/is…

Its just a coincidence he was hurt while wearing his low tops, but interesting he was wearing them after spraining the same ankle just a short time ago.

MontanaCoyote
01-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Today's "Low's" are 2 inches or more higher than even NBA players were wearing in the '70's. Lots of tape back then.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 08:29 AM
On a non-related topic, that photo of Tillie next to that Utah Valley player made me think.....how in the hell did BYU lose to that team at the Marriott Center? I mean, they may have not had 22,000 people in the stands, but it's the only game in town. It's never an easy joint to play at. Utah Valley is 9-10 and in 6th place in the WAC.

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 08:33 AM
On a non-related topic, that photo of Tillie next to that Utah Valley player made me think.....how in the hell did BYU lose to that team at the Marriott Center? I mean, they may have not had 22,000 people in the stands, but it's the only game in town. It's never an easy joint to play at. Utah Valley is 9-10 and in 6th place in the WAC.

Combination of BYU sucking and lots of UVU supporters living in and around Provo. UVU is basically BYU for people who can't get into, or who can't afford BYU. It was a home win either way, or at least not a hostile crowd.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-26-2017, 08:50 AM

Two things bring out an opponents best performance: 1) being the best and highest ranked team they will face all year and 2) being the biggest a**holes they will face all year. BYU was certainly the latter for Utah Vally and possibly the former too!

TexasZagFan
01-26-2017, 09:22 AM
Two things bring out an opponents best performance: 1) being the best and highest ranked team they will face all year and 2) being the biggest a**holes they will face all year. BYU was certainly the latter for Utah Vally and possibly the former too!

Didn't work for UW... :lmao:

jazzdelmar
01-26-2017, 10:19 AM
GAME is hours away. Must be something now?

Goshzagit
01-26-2017, 11:00 AM
GAME is hours away. Must be something now?

J3 is full practice participant & expected to play. Sounds minor, or an issue he's already used to dealing with...

No official reports re: Tillie's injury, prognosis, nothing. No one knows, & I mean even fellow players at this point.

basketballzag
01-26-2017, 11:18 AM
J3 is full practice participant & expected to play. Sounds minor, or an issue he's already used to dealing with...

No official reports re: Tillie's injury, prognosis, nothing. No one knows, & I mean even fellow players at this point.

No one has mentioned yet that NWG is also injured. He suffered a hip injury but is still expected to play tonight.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 11:18 AM
There will likely be no official press release regarding Tillie. I was told it was a "fluid" situation. Hopefully the game announcers on TV and radio will have some more info.

Nigel has a hip bruise from that fall against Portland. He is fine and is just working thru it. He clearly wasn't quite himself Monday night.

basketballzag
01-26-2017, 11:30 AM
There will likely be no official press release regarding Tillie. I was told it was a "fluid" situation. Hopefully the game announcers on TV and radio will have some more info.

Nigel has a hip bruise from that fall against Portland. He is fine and is just working thru it. He clearly wasn't quite himself Monday night.

A "fluid" situation" as to the severity of the injury? I take it that it means they don't know about the health of the ligaments until the swelling goes down.

Kiddwell
01-26-2017, 11:31 AM
What about this?: Has anyone seen Killian on campus walking with/without a crutch, boot, etc.? That'd be something of an update.

If his condition's a "fluid situation," that's good, yes? It means (for this fan, anyway) that there's hope he'll play, which is good. Better than "high ankle sprain, out for six weeks." (Maybe reading to much into CDC's comment, or misreading it. If so, sorry.)

:]

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 11:41 AM
What about this?: Has anyone seen Killian on campus walking with/without a crutch, boot, etc.? That'd be something of an update.

If his condition's a "fluid situation," that's good, yes? It means (for this fan, anyway) that there's hope he'll play, which is good. Better than "high ankle sprain, out for six weeks." (Maybe reading to much into CDC's comment, or misreading it. If so, sorry.)

:]

the other thread said boot and no crutches. Consistent with a high ankle sprain, minimum 6 weeks.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 12:00 PM
Which is right around the start of the WCC tourney.

btzag
01-26-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry, throwing out a time frame without any actual insight or facts is ridiculous. Could be a game or two and absolutely no one on this board knows!

Mr Vulture
01-26-2017, 02:12 PM
In your opinion, minimum six weeks. As stated on the last thread, it can be anywhere from three to eight depending on the individual. Before you go there, I had as bad of a high ankle sprain as you can get when I was in the military and it took me four weeks to be back full speed. Regardless, I'm sure that "fluid" means that everyone heals at a different rate so only time will tell.

the other thread said boot and no crutches. Consistent with a high ankle sprain, minimum 6 weeks.

Marcus
01-30-2017, 10:34 AM
Mark Few stated that Killian may play this Thursday at BYU during the podcast with Katz/Greenberg. Said he definitely won't be 100% but might be able to go. Has been responding well to treatment. Good news and good to hear even if he can't make it back for Thursday. At least its nor a really long term thing.

strikenowhere
01-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Mark Few stated that Killian may play this Thursday at BYU during the podcast with Katz/Greenberg. Said he definitely won't be 100% but might be able to go. Has been responding well to treatment. Good news and good to hear even if he can't make it back for Thursday. At least its nor a really long term thing.

Excellent news! (hopefully this isn't Just Few playing a little cat-and-mouse here)

Section 116
01-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Thanks strike. I'm sure we all appreciate the updated news!

gonstu
01-30-2017, 12:35 PM
As has been stated before, I just hope he's not rushed back because he wants to get out on the court. If his season isn't over, and it sounds like it isn't, him healthy in march/april is SOOOOO much more important than him healthy and playing in february. He really makes such a big difference. Get healthy Tillie!

DADoZAG
01-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Excellent news! (hopefully this isn't Just Few playing a little cat-and-mouse here)

My guess is that if Killian's injury was long term we would have seen more of JJ or Rui the last couple of games (which I would have enjoyed).

Go ZAGS!

TexasZagFan
01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
My guess is that if Killian's injury was long term we would have seen more of JJ or Rui the last couple of games (which I would have enjoyed).

Go ZAGS!

Rui's been exposed on defense, but that's ok. He'll get there.

Missing several games for Tillie has put us in a 7 man rotation, a few more minutes each for The Impala, J3, and Zach. Extra minutes have been good for all 3, especially Zach.

Zagger
01-30-2017, 01:14 PM

Good to know KT is doing 'OK'. It sure looked bad in Portland. The Cougars like to move fast so quick mobility may severely limit Killian's floor time - unless he's really ready to go (which could be overly optimistic).

DADoZAG
01-30-2017, 04:00 PM

Missing several games for Tillie has put us in a 7 man rotation, a few more minutes each for The Impala, J3, and Zach. Extra minutes have been good for all 3, especially Zach.

Agreed, Tex, especially since Tillie is only out short term. He comes back and the "team" has improved as you've noted.

If Tillie's injury was long term, then the "team" would need that eighth man.

I was ticked the first game when neither Rui nor JJ saw extra minutes, then realized the silver lining, as did most I'd guess.

You know how slow I am on the uptake....

Take care,
JJ

Mantua
01-30-2017, 04:34 PM
As has been stated before, I just hope he's not rushed back because he wants to get out on the court. If his season isn't over, and it sounds like it isn't, him healthy in march/april is SOOOOO much more important than him healthy and playing in february. He really makes such a big difference. Get healthy Tillie!

+1

No more playing hurt.

btzag
01-30-2017, 04:45 PM

Yes if you watch Rui on D he really needs to clean up his footwork and other finite defensive stuff. Got a long way to go there. On offense still super raw and a little confused on what he should do. Also has a little 'laziness' that I think is maturity that he needs to work out before he is ready to earn rotation minutes.

Really hope he comes back super focused and ready to go next year!