PDA

View Full Version : #1 in the Nation ?

Bogozags
01-24-2017, 06:22 PM
What do you think the odds are for GU to be the #1 team in the nation come Monday PM?

If I were in Nevada I'd sure place a good bet on that happening.

KU lost tonight
Villanova lost tonight
UK continues to lose to UT (This one is really big for our RPI/BPI)
UK beats KU
UVA beats Villanova

Some might say Baylor would jump us but don't think so...also, next week Baylor plays at KU...

The door is open for all the naysayers...

B-hamZag
01-24-2017, 06:29 PM
First win our games Thursday and Saturday. If we do that we will be #1 on Monday!

CanadianZagsFan
01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Kansas should get some heat on them after that score. WV is good but I don't see them controlling Zags like they did versus Baylor which I watched. I think Zags are in discussion for one of best road/neutral site teams in country (mature squad). 1-3 I'm happy, nothing less. Kentucky losing in 2nd half to Tenny, a team Zags controlled for 32-35 mins on SAME court.

MontanaCoyote
01-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Number 1 without a doubt! Are we ready for that? Will SMC or BYU be our Marquette?

RenoZag
01-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Number 1 without a doubt! Are we ready for that? Will SMC or BYU be our Marquette?

Would like to venture an answer after watching GU play it's next two, Montana.

If the Zags do have to make do without Killie, it will be intriguing to see how the remaining players and Coach Few deal with it. 'cause I sure as hell hope neither Pepperdine nor USD are our Marquette (or Portland State)

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2017, 06:43 PM
Sweet!!

Zags11
01-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Just continue on and yes #1 if we handle our biz.

23dpg
01-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Been there, done that.

Just win baby!

MontanaCoyote
01-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Would like to venture an answer after watching GU play it's next two, Montana.

If the Zags do have to make do without Killie, it will be intriguing to see how the remaining players and Coach Few deal with it.

Fair on first point, agree on second!

sittingon50
01-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Kansas should get some heat on them after that score. WV is good but I don't see them controlling Zags like they did versus Baylor which I watched. I think Zags are in discussion for one of best road/neutral site teams in country (mature squad). 1-3 I'm happy, nothing less. Kentucky losing in 2nd half to Tenny, a team Zags controlled for 32-35 mins on SAME court.

Not the same court. Zags played 'em in Nashville, 2-3 hrs. away. This is on campus in Knoxville.

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Thread title says it all. Guess who's going to be number one, and quite possibly unanimous number one come Monday?

Zag_Dad
01-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Unanimous? Unlikely, but a number one ranking is pretty cool!

gonzagafan62
01-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Sure won't be unanimous but we win both games and we are #1 no question

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2017, 07:30 PM
We just got some major pub on SportsCenter! I do think we will be unanimous number one come Monday.

gonzagafan62
01-24-2017, 07:31 PM
We just got some major pub on SportsCenter! I do think we will be unanimous number one come Monday.

Well there's some guy that has us #8 on his rankings. I doubt he moves us up to 1. Would be really nice though! Loved what Seth said too.

kitzbuel
01-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Tennessee knocking off UK doesn't hurt at all either.

RenoZag
01-24-2017, 07:33 PM

Naw. Some wanker will put Arizona or Baylor in there. . .some of those voters would rather drink turpentine than give GU credit.

Would love to see GU get 100% of the first place votes, spy, but I don't think it will happen this week. If they win their next THREE, then your prediction might come true.

Best,

RZ

CdAZagFan
01-24-2017, 07:37 PM
Saw them debating whether GU would go undefeated on ESPN's Pardon the Interruption (before the games tonight)... Now they will be in full force discussing if GU deserves the #1 ranking...

Section 116
01-24-2017, 07:40 PM
New #1 Seeds from Lunardi @ 8:30pm 1-24-17: Link: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0615763537939143664-4

East Villanova
South Baylor
Midwest Kansas
West Gonzaga

ZagMan in Philly
01-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Well there's some guy that has us #8 on his rankings. I doubt he moves us up to 1. Would be really nice though! Loved what Seth said too.

That would be Graham Couch...will see where he will put us on Monday.

Zagger
01-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Wow, 1, 2 and 4 fall!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/gu1.png

ZagaZags
01-24-2017, 08:08 PM

Almost there.

http://puddlesgathering.com/blog/ani-sw_almost_there.gif

ProVeeZag
01-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Wow, 1, 2 and 4 fall!

http://www.sbaran.net/zags/gu1.png

YASSSSSS!

Zagricultural
01-24-2017, 08:11 PM
One game at a time. We've got two more games this week.

IowaSERE
01-24-2017, 08:17 PM
YASSSSSS!
If we win next 2 games what scenario would we not be #1?

KU beating UK? 2 loss team moving up after a loss?
Baylor wins both and is 18 - 1?

Nova doesn't drop?

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2017, 08:26 PM
One game at a time. We've got two more games this week.

Yes because what we post on a message board has a major impact on what happens on the court. This never ending nonsense will never end. Ugh!!!

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2017, 08:27 PM
If we win next 2 games what scenario would we not be #1?

KU beating UK? 2 loss team moving up after a loss?
Baylor wins both and is 18 - 1?

Nova doesn't drop?

There is no scenario where we will not be number one on Monday unless the unthinkable were to happen and we were to lose.

soccerdud
01-24-2017, 08:27 PM

Almost there.

stay on target. stay on target.

edit: yes, that makes me porkins.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2017, 08:51 PM

Almost there.

Love the gif.

MontanaCoyote
01-24-2017, 08:52 PM
There is no scenario where we will not be number one on Monday unless the unthinkable were to happen and we were to lose.

I don't know if Kentucky losing to Tennessee or Villanova losing to Marquette were unthinkable or not, but both #1 and #4 lost to Unranked teams. All our remaining opponents except St.Mary's are Unranked. I do think we'll be 22-0 by Sunday and that we'll be #1 on Monday. But with #1 on our backs, the BYU and St. Mary's games are going to be tough tests for sure.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2017, 08:53 PM
stay on target. stay on target.

edit: yes, that makes me porkins.

I live in Phoenix and the Diamondbacks have a Star Wars night once a year. Part of the festivities involves photoshopping light sabers in for bats and such. A Karnowski-Porkins mash up would be pretty funny.

soccerdud
01-24-2017, 09:00 PM
I live in Phoenix and the Diamondbacks have a Star Wars night once a year. Part of the festivities involves photoshopping light sabers in for bats and such. A Karnowski-Porkins mash up would be pretty funny.

that would be pretty huge. anyone have skillz? maybe woohoo can do it in paint.

seriously, tho, "porkins" was a jerk name to give that character. apparently lucas has a mean streak.

convo was a short one:
script guy: "i'm picturing a fat pilot. basically han and jabba have a baby, and he's flying an x-wing. we'll give him one line-- generic and awkward, but memorable. then blow him up. what should we call him?"
junior script guy: "hmmm... how about 'lardo'?"
lucas (giggling): "porkins. lardo's good tho. ill use that for the one black guy in the universe."

jpn17
01-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Not unanimous, my guess is Gonzaga will have over half of the #1 votes, with the rest spread out among several teams including WVU picking up a few. But GU will be ranked #1, provided they win both games this week.

Edit: whoops, I didn't notice that WVU had dropped down to 18. When did that happen? I'm usually more on top of things than that. So disregard what I said about them getting any first place votes, although they do have some very good wins this year.

ZagaZags
01-24-2017, 09:08 PM
that would be pretty huge. anyone have skillz? maybe woohoo can do it in paint.

seriously, tho, "porkins" was a jerk name to give that character. apparently lucas has a mean streak.

convo was a short one:
script guy: "i'm picturing a fat pilot. basically han and jabba have a baby, and he's flying an x-wing. what should we call him?"
lucas (giggling): "porkins."

He liked to eat a lot on the set. He spilled $hit everywhere.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view2/1424924/star-wars-porkins-o.gif

Zagger
01-25-2017, 03:30 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/117315/madness-comes-early-as-the-mighty-fall

And the biggest winner on the night? Besides college basketball fans?

Mark Few and the No. 3 Gonzaga Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs don't play until Thursday, when they face San Diego at home (9 p.m. ET, ESPN3). They're in position to take over the No. 1 ranking for the first time since the 2012-13 season, when they held it for the final three weeks including going into the NCAA tournament.

Birddog
01-25-2017, 03:44 AM
Pretty heady stuff, I remember how excited we used to get when they were listed as "also receiving votes".

ZagMan in Philly
01-25-2017, 04:14 AM
Pretty heady stuff, I remember how excited we used to get when they were listed as "also receiving votes".

Amen!

Lukin79
01-25-2017, 04:47 AM
Ha!
Stay on target...

gueastcoast
01-25-2017, 05:31 AM
Beat San Diego.

/sarcasm! jeez

gozagswoohoo
01-25-2017, 07:40 AM
How is our strength of schedule SO poor on Kenpom? Every other top 10 (kenpom top 10) has a very solid strength of schedule, ours is crap.

SwainZag
01-25-2017, 08:06 AM
How is our strength of schedule SO poor on Kenpom? Every other top 10 (kenpom top 10) has a very solid strength of schedule, ours is crap.

Because the bottom half of the conference is so bad this year. Look at their kenpom ranks.
Pepperdine 311
Pacific 246
Portland 242
San Diego 228
LMU 183
Santa Clara 172

That's 12 games against very subpar teams. Add in OOC games with Mississippi Valley State (345), Bryant (273), Quinnipiac (240), Utah Valley (203) and South Dakota (158) and that's over half the schedule against some pretty bad teams.

To go further....add to the fact that San Diego State is having an awful year for them and Washington is just a dumpster fire, it really drags the overall SOS down.

Zaga
01-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Cover of SI coming?

#runthetable

MontanaCoyote
01-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Cover of SI coming?

#runthetable

PA LEASSEEEEE.......NO!!!

gonzagafan62
01-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Because the bottom half of the conference is so bad this year. Look at their kenpom ranks.
Pepperdine 311
Pacific 246
Portland 242
San Diego 228
LMU 183
Santa Clara 172

That's 12 games against very subpar teams. Add in OOC games with Mississippi Valley State (345), Bryant (273), Quinnipiac (240), Utah Valley (203) and South Dakota (158) and that's over half the schedule against some pretty bad teams.

To go further....add to the fact that San Diego State is having an awful year for them and Washington is just a dumpster fire, it really drags the overall SOS down.

Don't forget playing Quinnipiac (200s) and Mississippi Valley State (last I checked was 2 spots from being last in the nation)

gonzagafan62
01-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Utah Valley - 203

Quinnipiac - 245 (ouch)

Bryant - 273 (not good)

Pepperdine - 311 (super ouch)

Mississippi Valley State - 345 (son of a ....)

Those are why

SwainZag
01-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Don't forget playing Quinnipiac (200s) and Mississippi Valley State (last I checked was 2 spots from being last in the nation)

Haha, well....you might want to re-read my post :) Pretty sure I listed them both.

gonzagafan62
01-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Haha, well....you might want to re-read my post :) Pretty sure I listed them both.

Oh, you listed them all. Just disregard my post then man. Haha. I should learn to read everything. Whoops. Always do except I don't understand why I didn't there. My bad haha

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 09:15 AM

My attitude has evolved since Nashville. Keep the chip on the shoulder and stay in the role of hunter from here on out...take no prisoners. The bigger the bullseye on the back, the less respect being showed to us.

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Cover of SI coming?

#runthetable

http://m.memegen.com/rq7awc.jpg

Zagger
01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
My attitude has evolved since Nashville. Keep the chip on the shoulder and stay in the role of hunter from here on out...take no prisoners. The bigger the bullseye on the back, the less respect being showed to us.

I always try (not always successfully) to take any dissing (lack of Zag respect) online to be over and above what the person would say in person. The Zags will get trash from a bunch of haters & others when ranked #1. People just plain like to vent online and it can be hard to ignore (not reply). But, not replying can be an effective method to combat the dolts out there. Some must have pretty miserable situations to spout the vile that they do. Trying to combat these types eats up lots of time and ...... seldom bears fruit.

MontanaCoyote
01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
http://m.memegen.com/rq7awc.jpg

Can scratch my post now. Perfect!

zagdontzig
01-25-2017, 09:50 AM
I think the AP prefers 'zona for number 1, but I think #2 is a lock assuming we win this week.

jim77
01-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Roll out you're blanket....apply the lotion....put the headphones on....and bask in the sun at being number 1. Beat SD.

ProVeeZag
01-25-2017, 10:02 AM
I think the AP prefers 'zona for number 1, but I think #2 is a lock assuming we win this week.

Gutsy prediction, I think Zags early win over AZ ("tainted" or not) makes it difficult to vote the Wildcats into the top spot. Also to vault them from #7 to #1 is "too big a bite" in 1 week. They'll probably get some #1 votes though.

MontanaCoyote
01-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Seth Davis @ SI still down on the Zag's. Writes that he's undecided on whether or not Zag's should be ranked#1, but not so much even between the lines he's clearly saying "NO." He's not a very good fudger!

ProVeeZag
01-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Seth Davis @ SI still down on the Zag's. Writes that he's undecided on whether or not Zag's should be ranked#1, but not so much even between the lines he's clearly saying "NO." He's not a very good fudger!

Seth Davis ... I'm just not a fan, even before his "undecided" comment.

TheZagPhish
01-25-2017, 10:25 AM
I want the talking heads to keep doubting these Zags, to keep projecting an ill fitting history onto them and question their drive, skills and moxie. Like TZF, I want our team determined and chippy.

If the Zags could somehow collectively part the Red Sea, there would be those who say, "Yeah, well they're no Moses, and I'm not sure they really belonged there in any event."

Zaga
01-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Gutsy prediction, I think Zags early win over AZ ("tainted" or not) makes it difficult to vote the Wildcats into the top spot. Also to vault them from #7 to #1 is "too big a bite" in 1 week. They'll probably get some #1 votes though.

Based on what the AP did to Baylor after a big win, I guess AZ to move up 2 maybe 3 spots.

seacatfan
01-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Put me in the camp of "how would Arizona jump all the way to #1?!" They got a big bump after beating UCLA, but that was last week. This week they host the Washington schools, weak sauce. Going 2-0 won't exactly be an impressive feat. Even w/ 1, 2 and 4 losing last night Zona would have to vault a handful of teams, including the Zags. Don't see any way it happens (unless 3, 5 and 6 also lose this week, and even then it would be a stretch).

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Put me in the camp of "how would Arizona jump all the way to #1?!" They got a big bump after beating UCLA, but that was last week. This week they host the Washington schools, weak sauce. Going 2-0 won't exactly be an impressive feat. Even w/ 1, 2 and 4 losing last night Zona would have to vault a handful of teams, including the Zags. Don't see any way it happens (unless 3, 5 and 6 also lose this week, and even then it would be a stretch).

AZ will benefit from the team that loses the KU-UK game on Saturday, more so if UK loses, because they're at home.

titopoet
01-25-2017, 11:09 AM

He is funny. His argument for putting Arizona ahead of GU does really hold water. As he said he ranked them BEFORE UCLA game, meaning BEFORE Tier came back. Also Tier is a great player, but I am still at a loss for how a 6'5" 200 lbs wing would have slowed down Karno, because it was Karno that the wildcats had no answer for. The game was closer because GU missed some FT, but Man Mountain still dominated and would've with or without Tier. Seth also avoids any talk of KenPom or the stats guys, because his argument would fall apart. (Also Kentucky lost to the same team GU beat). In other words, Seth should have said, "I know I being irrational and biased, but I want my mommy and not give credit where it should go."

tinfoilzag
01-25-2017, 11:31 AM
The #1 ranking is a mixed blessing.

It adds pressure, doesn't help with seeding, brings out the haters, and at this point doesn't improve the brand much (people already know about Gonzaga basketball).

With that said, I'm happy for the players and the recruiting where being ranked #1 in the nation matters.

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 11:37 AM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_O3RfpOus7XRYAg2qhvRqylKGtU-AjqIINpeX3b46zamXuUlYMA

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 11:40 AM
I always try (not always successfully) to take any dissing (lack of Zag respect) online to be over and above what the person would say in person. The Zags will get trash from a bunch of haters & others when ranked #1. People just plain like to vent online and it can be hard to ignore (not reply). But, not replying can be an effective method to combat the dolts out there. Some must have pretty miserable situations to spout the vile that they do. Trying to combat these types eats up lots of time and ...... seldom bears fruit.

My Dukie coworker stopped dissing the Zags a couple of days ago, after he saw the latest KenPom rating. He's in a funk anyway, and praying for the return of Coach K before it's too late.

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 11:41 AM

Seth works for CBS, the broadcast partner for the Power Five...no one else matters, it's all about ratings & dollars to them.

TexasZagFan
01-25-2017, 11:46 AM

It adds pressure, doesn't help with seeding, brings out the haters, and at this point doesn't improve the brand much (people already know about Gonzaga basketball).

With that said, I'm happy for the players and the recruiting where being ranked #1 in the nation matters.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder539/500x/75035539.jpg

Bogozags
01-25-2017, 12:11 PM
My Dukie coworker stopped dissing the Zags a couple of days ago, after he saw the latest KenPom rating. He's in a funk anyway, and praying for the return of Coach K before it's too late.

I saw a prediction today where Duke will have a 9-9 record in the ACC...I was kind of shocked at this prediction...you live and die with freshmen...not having Jefferson didn't help either...we are so fortunate to have Coach Few, the staff and a well balanced team...

gonzagafan62
01-25-2017, 12:16 PM

It does actually help the brand. We are still in the second (possibly third tier) of basketball programs. Need to start being consistently ranked #1, and get to play in April.

Those are now the things that really help

tinfoilzag
01-25-2017, 01:53 PM
We are still in the second (possibly third tier) of basketball programs. Need to start being consistently ranked #1, and get to play in April.

Those are now the things that really help

I agree with the playing in April part but the ranking just means if we make a final four we were supposed to be there but if we don't we are underachievers again; the victims of high expectations.

jim77
01-25-2017, 03:02 PM
Don't over analyze it...just enjoy it. If there's justice in the world coach Few should be #1 too.

Goshzagit
01-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Bottom line, this team absolutely & unequivocally NEEDS a healthy J3 and Tillie to advance deep, imho.

Heck, they play the same position.

Both bring rim protection, hustle, energy, grit, & make all the small/x factor/clutch/glue plays for this team.

Both give Karno a breather, & help the team in transition or make a key play to swing momentum or bring us out of a drought.

I'd also say both are the emotional & energy givers on this years squad.

Without them, or shells of themselves, we are forced to play small ball.

Works vs WCC, but wont work vs Top 10 teams.

JWIII & Tillie are two of our best and most versatile players on offense, & esp defense.

Karno has shown he cannot guard quick slashing PF's.

Without those two, or even at less than 100%, this team goes from legit Top 3 or 5 type status to Top 20

I.e. Round of 32 vs Elite 8 type stuff.

We need both back in the lineup & healthy.

Our chemistry and continuity has been a strength as well, so point is, godspeed the recovery for both.

bballbeachbum
01-25-2017, 09:46 PM
Bottom line, this team absolutely & unequivocally NEEDS a healthy J3 and Tillie to advance deep, imho.

Heck, they play the same position.

Both bring rim protection, hustle, energy, grit, & make all the small/x factor/clutch/glue plays for this team.

Both give Karno a breather, & help the team in transition or make a key play to swing momentum or bring us out of a drought.

I'd also say both are the emotional & energy givers on this years squad.

Without them, or shells of themselves, we are forced to play small ball.

Works vs WCC, but wont work vs Top 10 teams.

JWIII & Tillie are two of our best and most versatile players on offense, & esp defense.

Karno has shown he cannot guard quick slashing PF's.

Without those two, or even at less than 100%, this team goes from legit Top 3 or 5 type status to Top 20

I.e. Round of 32 vs Elite 8 type stuff.

We need both back in the lineup & healthy.

Our chemistry and continuity has been a strength as well, so point is, godspeed the recovery for both.

hear you man, but fortunately March Madness hasn't started yet. the injury to Tillie, depending on its severity of course, is a GREAT opportunity to build depth now for the tournament before getting him back

MDABE80
01-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Seems like the qualifications for being a 1 seed and a 1 ranking shift with who you talk to. All we can do is continue to win. Anger and uninformed cheap shots will continue even with victories. We're are the best story anyone could dream up UNLESS you're a Power 5 enthusiast.
We're not perfect in every category but we are perfect in the ones the usually count. Shifting criteria will put an arbitrary cloud of the program. Does anything seriously think the Power 5 types will yield easily?? Absolutely not!

The criticisms would be worse if or when we lose one. SO all we can do is continue on. Things wil tighten as we continue to plow through the WCCC. WE'RE not here to please others or those in the Power 5. We simply can't do that. No.....we're here to please us, go the distance and do the best we can.
This business of "You'd lose too if you played our schedule" doesn't matter. We stood up to the challenges of both good and bad teams. Untill we stop doing that , we are No 1. Screw those who don't like it. All this means is that they're jealous they don't have our record. Lots of ball left this season.
It may be a once in a lifetime campaign. I hope so. Enjoy it.

ProVeeZag
01-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Seems like the qualifications for being a 1 seed and a 1 ranking shift with who you talk to. All we can do is continue to win. Anger and uninformed cheap shots will continue even with victories. We're are the best story anyone could dream up UNLESS you're a Power 5 enthusiast.
We're not perfect in every category but we are perfect in the ones the usually count. Shifting criteria will put an arbitrary cloud of the program. Does anything seriously think the Power 5 types will yield easily?? Absolutely not!

The criticisms would be worse if or when we lose one. SO all we can do is continue on. Things wil tighten as we continue to plow through the WCCC. WE'RE not here to please others or those in the Power 5. We simply can't do that. No.....we're here to please us, go the distance and do the best we can.
This business of "You'd lose too if you played our schedule" doesn't matter. We stood up to the challenges of both good and bad teams. Untill we stop doing that , we are No 1. Screw those who don't like it. All this means is that they're jealous they don't have our record. Lots of ball left this season.
It may be a once in a lifetime campaign. I hope so. Enjoy it.

Exactly Abe, I'm lovin' every minute of it. We have to prove ourselves every game ... wouldn't have it any other way.

CDC84
01-25-2017, 10:53 PM
Something that I didn't realize. Everyone is talking about Kansas at Kentucky on Saturday, but there is another monster non-league matchup on Sunday: Virginia (#12 right now) at Villanova. Usually UVA gives teams headaches, but Nova is very comfortable playing at a slow pace. They too are also good defensively. I would think if Nova hits their threes, they will beat UVA. Could that cause them to stay at number one???

TheZagPhish
01-26-2017, 08:04 AM
NCAA tracking chart of the top 25 this season (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-01-24/college-basketball-rankings-behind-numbers-ap-top-25-week-12?cid=ncaammsocial_fb_sf52695505)

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2017/01/24/week_12_ap_top_25_cbb.png

1 -- team that has never dropped in the rankings this year: Gonzaga. The Bulldogs started off the season at No. 14 and have steadily climbed the ladder to their current No. 3 spot. Gonzaga is the only unbeaten team in the rankings, sitting at 19-0.

MontanaCoyote
01-26-2017, 08:24 AM
NCAA tracking chart of the top 25 this season (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-01-24/college-basketball-rankings-behind-numbers-ap-top-25-week-12?cid=ncaammsocial_fb_sf52695505)

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2017/01/24/week_12_ap_top_25_cbb.png

Zag's now # 1 in SI Power Rankings. Chart and Video. Baylor #2.

ZagaZags
01-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Zag's now # 1 in SI Power Rankings. Chart and Video. Baylor #2.

Almost there.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Carlton Bragg has been suspended indefinitely by Kansas. They are already suffering from a lack of low post depth which has hurt their defense. I can't see how they beat UK at Rupp Arena on Saturday. So you can scratch KU as a competitor for the number one spot.

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 05:27 AM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder691/500x/75089691.jpg

gonstu
01-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Carlton Bragg has been suspended indefinitely by Kansas. They are already suffering from a lack of low post depth which has hurt their defense. I can't see how they beat UK at Rupp Arena on Saturday. So you can scratch KU as a competitor for the number one spot.

what did he do?

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 05:35 AM
what did he do?

From a very brief glance at google, he apparently favors "edgy" women, creating too much of a distraction for Coach Self.

ETA: I never realized such a thing was possible in Lawrence, Kansas.

gonstu
01-27-2017, 05:38 AM
From a very brief glance at google, he apparently favors "edgy" women, creating too much of a distraction for Coach Self.

as opposed to curvy women?

Will be interesting to see if KU still pulls out the conference. Tied with Baylor at the top right now w/ 1 loss. Next closest already 2 losses back: Cyclones and WVU. Can't see cyclones running through conference, too many close games & they look suspect with no post presence of their own. But WVU and Baylor maybe could take the jayhawks out.

amaronizag
01-27-2017, 08:54 AM
I've watched KS and Baylor several times this year. KS is really good, but as has been pointed out all year, they have no depth at the 4 or 5. Same with Baylor. Baylor is really good at the 4 and 5 spots, really athletic, but weak after that and not much of a bench. I think they're over rated and have some losses coming. I would rather play Baylor than NOVA, UCLA, KY, KS, NC, AZ, Louisville, VA, W VA, ND, Duke, or Fl St. I think they about on par with WI and Butler.

Bogozags
01-27-2017, 09:28 AM

Thanks Phish...This is the neatest chart I have seen...I hope you can keep posting the updated version each week! :000tens:

DixieZag
01-27-2017, 09:55 AM
as opposed to curvy women? .

Sometimes you just tip your cap and walk away.

Well done.

DixieZag
01-27-2017, 10:00 AM
I think this team benefits from feeling doubted, uninvited, written off.

They get few challenges on the floor, let Seth get them up for the game, the week, the month.

Still mad at SMC for losing to UT-Arlington, we'd. We have to live with that win being just a top 25 instead of top 10

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Sometimes you just tip your cap and walk away.

Well done.

Other times, it's wiser to run away, without looking back.

TravelinZag
01-27-2017, 10:07 AM
#1? Not yet, but closing in. Fun? YES! Important? No. Not compared to NC or even FF.

Scary thought: if the bubble bursts, will the fall be as great as Baylor experienced? Given recent results should buffer any drop, but certainly will be more than a single rank. If suffered prior to the WCC final, a loss would cost any #! rank, and possibly any #1 seed.

Would trade not ranking number one for four plus wins to open the dance in a nanosecond! But both would be ok.

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 10:22 AM
#1? Not yet, but closing in. Fun? YES! Important? No. Not compared to NC or even FF.

Scary thought: if the bubble bursts, will the fall be as great as Baylor experienced? Given recent results should buffer any drop, but certainly will be more than a single rank. If suffered prior to the WCC final, a loss would cost any #! rank, and possibly any #1 seed.

Would trade not ranking number one for four plus wins to open the dance in a nanosecond! But both would be ok.

I'm greedy this year...I want undefeated into Final Four.

CDC84
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Well, for those who are interested, Baylor plays at Kansas early next week.

That's not a fun back to back set of games for Kansas: Kentucky and Baylor.

NotoriousZ
01-27-2017, 11:44 AM
I'm greedy this year...I want undefeated into Final Four.

That plus two more wins for me. ;)

Still waiting on some haters/trolls to put their 2 cents in on this thread. Anyone? cbbfanatic? Bueller?

VaBeachZAG
01-27-2017, 01:51 PM
That plus two more wins for me. ;)

Still waiting on some haters/trolls to put their 2 cents in on this thread. Anyone? cbbfanatic? Bueller?

I have seen a few posters in the past express preference for hiding in the shadows and sneaking up on opponents as the underdog. Could not disagree more. I realized the hazards to GU's reputation from being on the top of the mountain (especially if an early exit comes in the tourney). Nevertheless the risks are worth it for the publicity a #1 ranking garners. GU already has a great reputation for development of Euro players. Throw in a national #1 ranking and we should have our pick of young Euro talent, not to mention being more competitive recruiting in the US.

ProVeeZag
01-27-2017, 02:09 PM

ETA: I never realized such a thing was possible in Lawrence, Kansas.

Oh, it's possible. Not sure why coach has a problem with it though. :D

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/63fa4092c32a49bf8c12ee4aaafbf5fd/adult-female-uses-power-electrical-edging-tool-to-enhance-the-appearance-abyrxj.jpg

sittingon50
01-27-2017, 08:25 PM
:clap:

ZagaZags
01-27-2017, 09:22 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/c47b53d7-65b2-460d-8cf6-d264f6c6316f.jpg

UCLA is the favorite at 3-1. Kentucky is 5-1, Gonzaga is third at 6-1 to win it all.

dhozagfan08
01-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Can I bet everything I have AGAINST UCLA?! What are they thinking with those odds?!

ProVeeZag
01-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Can I bet everything I have AGAINST UCLA?! What are they thinking with those odds?!

And AZ at 10 to 1, after a still-fresh win over the Bruins at Pauley no less.

gonstu
01-27-2017, 10:50 PM
I got 15:1 about two weeks ago. 10 bucks.

DixieZag
01-27-2017, 11:07 PM
I got 15:1 about two weeks ago. 10 bucks.

Nice.

Seth, Jay, Andy, all can be informative good/bad, but when the collective wisdom of the people who put their actual dollars down say you're legitimate NC contender - well, that's legit.

Bogozags
01-28-2017, 08:08 PM
I think with the KU win at UK they might well remain the #1 in the usatoday and jump to #1 in the AP...I believe GU rises to #2 in both polls...

BU visits KU this week and if KU wins, it will solidify the #1 spot and if BU wins and GU wins both games next week, then GU will be #1...lots of "ifs"...

gonzagafan62
01-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Zags take number one. Not really close

gonzagafan62
01-28-2017, 08:17 PM
Kansas isn't even close to GU on Ken Pom

NumberCruncher
01-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Zags are #1.

ZagaZags
01-28-2017, 08:20 PM
Almost there.

gonzagafan62
01-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Kansas isn't even close to GU on Ken Pom

GU: 33.21
Kansas: 27.00

MDABE80
01-28-2017, 08:21 PM
I can see KU moving up and us as a 2. Pretty gaudy today winning AT UK . I can easily see u at a 1 though. Undefeated with our other stats is hard to argue with. One or two. Both good. Seems like there's resistance to us moving up to a 1.

TexasZagFan
01-28-2017, 08:24 PM
I can see KU moving up and us as a 2. Pretty gaudy today winning AT UK . I can easily see u at a 1 though. Undefeated with our other stats is hard to argue with. One or two. Both good. Seems like there's resistance to us moving up to a 1.

Graham Couch will drop us down to 10, and KU will take the number 1 spot by a few votes.

ZagaZags
01-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Graham Couch will drop us down to 10, and KU will take the number 1 spot by a few votes.

MDABE80

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qDK5J5Uerg3atJ6/giphy.gif

ProVeeZag
01-28-2017, 08:32 PM
I see Kansas as the #1, followed by Zags at #2. I'd like to go into Provo next week as the #2 with that chip still on our shoulder. Kansas' win over Kentucky was impressive and will get enough voters' attention to warrant #1 ranking. It should be a very close vote though.

MontanaCoyote
01-28-2017, 08:39 PM
I see Kansas as the #1, followed by Zags at #2. I'd like to go into Provo next week as the #2 with that chip still on our shoulder. Kansas' win over Kentucky was impressive and will get enough voters' attention to warrant #1 ranking. It should be a very close vote though.

Number 2 AP, 1 Coaches??

DixieZag
01-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Lots of divided votes, almost a tie, us coming in number 2, then if we beat BYU as bad as BYU deserves, then it flips toward us as number one.

I know it makes no sense, but could easily happen.

bartruff1
01-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Lots of divided votes, almost a tie, us coming in number 2, then if we beat BYU as bad as BYU deserves, then it flips toward us as number one.

Makes sense to me....

ProVeeZag
01-28-2017, 08:52 PM

Wouldn't be surprising for a fair number of voters to want to see how Zags perform in Provo before elevating them to #1 on their ballot. We've not been seriously tested for a while now. Still the margins of victory are becoming just overwhelming. Tsunami-like?

Mantua
01-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Perhaps after Saturday's game in Gainesville the wins against Kentucky will lose their luster.

Go Gators.

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2017, 08:58 PM
I can't believe that some posters don't get that we will be #1 come Monday. It's getting kinda annoying, if I'm being honest.

jpn17
01-28-2017, 09:09 PM
Kansas had a nice win today, but you don't move up in the polls after a 15 point loss. Gonzaga will be #1

NumberCruncher
01-28-2017, 09:09 PM
I can't believe that some posters don't get that we will be #1 come Monday. It's getting kinda annoying, if I'm being honest.

I agree with you, spy.

The Zags are #1, until proven otherwise.

I'll say it again: The. Zags. are. the. best. team. in. the. country!!!!

thespywhozaggedme
01-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Kansas had a nice win today, but you don't move up in the polls after a 15 point loss. Gonzaga will be #1

This. Especially because it's not like we're winning in squeakers, we're blowing the opponents out by over 30 plus points a game.

ZagaZags
01-28-2017, 09:14 PM
http://www.netanimations.net/Moving-animated-eyes-finger-pointing-down.gif

I agree with you, spy.

Mantua
01-28-2017, 09:19 PM
During the St. Mary's game tonight, Dan Belluomini brought up the perennial east coast bias in reference to the Zags chances in Monday's polls. We always live with that bias.

MickMick
01-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Why do fans concede this popularity contest?

What is it? Winning by 50 doesn't pass the eye test?

GU doesn't have to apologize for being the best team in the country. Heck, they held a double digit lead on the second best team in the nation.

That would be Arizona.

Don't concede anything.

DixieZag
01-28-2017, 09:47 PM

You are annoyed by posters who "don't get" that we will be number one?

And it's a personal enough offense to you that you must be honest about it?

I would find it annoying if a person questioned whether the Earth would revolve twice between now and Monday. But, I was under the impression the only thing asked was an opinion on what a large group of people would vote on?

Somehow, if I'm thinking that Kansas will get rewarded for a big win and end up just eclipsing us - it's indicative of some character flaw?

Weird.

Zags11
01-28-2017, 10:07 PM

This

zagsfanforlife
01-28-2017, 10:08 PM
I could easily see us not being # 1. Talking heads still dont want to give us a ton of credit and KU did win @ kentucky, while their loss came to a very good west virginia team at WV. We beat pooperdine. I think we are the better team.. and i hope in march we get that chance to show in a head to head matchup

zagsfanforlife
01-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Why do fans concede this popularity contest?

What is it? Winning by 50 doesn't pass the eye test?

GU doesn't have to apologize for being the best team in the country. Heck, they held a double digit lead on the second best team in the nation.

That would be Arizona.

Don't concede anything.

No way Az was the second best team in the nation without Alonzo Trier. Wasnt Parker Jackson Cartwright out too?

soccerdud
01-28-2017, 10:19 PM

I would find it annoying if a person questioned whether the Earth would revolve twice between now and Monday. But, I was under the impression the only thing asked was an opinion on what a large group of people would vote on?

Somehow, if I'm thinking that Kansas will get rewarded for a big win and end up just eclipsing us - it's indicative of some character flaw?

Weird.

Agreed, Dix. No one is saying we don't deserve it or conceding another team is better. But pretending like the outcome is a certainty is ridiculous, especially considering the oft-demonstrated biases of the voters. Acknowledging that isn't taking their "side" or undermining our team or goals. It's just dealing with the reality of the *flawed* process under discussion.

Yeah, Spy, you probably find people being reasonable annoying. And I'm sure they feel the same about your angry denial of reason.

It all evens out in the end.

CDC84
01-29-2017, 12:15 AM
Jeff Goodman:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/825517284840071168

I find it so funny that over the past few years analysts have been so into analytics, and now everyone just seems to be conveniently ignoring them because GU is number one at kenpom.com with the 3rd ranked defense and the 6th ranked offense. There is a significant differential between Gonzaga and Kansas when it comes to adjusted efficiency margin.

We had an ESPN in studio analyst go on and on and on about how he felt Kansas was better than GU. Can you give me a reason why buddy? How would KU defend GU's frontcourt? Especially once Tillie comes back?

MickMick
01-29-2017, 01:03 AM
No way Az was the second best team in the nation without Alonzo Trier. Wasnt Parker Jackson Cartwright out too?

Don't get caught up in the media narrative.

It is the freshman for Arizona, especially their stud center, that make Arizona the next best team to Gonzaga and the team I fear the most in post season.

MDABE80
01-29-2017, 02:29 AM
Kansas was 2 and they beat a tough UK team. We were 3 and beat a very weak team. Looked at this way, I think KU gets the nod. Head to head? Who would you pick???

jazzdelmar
01-29-2017, 03:30 AM
Kansas was 2 and they beat a tough UK team. We were 3 and beat a very weak team. Looked at this way, I think KU gets the nod. Head to head? Who would you pick???

Agree completely. KU whipped a top 5 team, we....... Kansas would get my vote.

Seattle Hoo
01-29-2017, 04:55 AM
Jeff Goodman:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/825517284840071168

I find it so funny that over the past few years analysts have been so into analytics, and now everyone just seems to be conveniently ignoring them because GU is number one at kenpom.com with the 3rd ranked defense and the 6th ranked offense. There is a significant differential between Gonzaga and Kansas when it comes to adjusted efficiency margin.

We had an ESPN in studio analyst go on and on and on about how he felt Kansas was better than GU. Can you give me a reason why buddy? How would KU defend GU's frontcourt? Especially once Tillie comes back?

People use analytics when they "confirm" the person's pre-existing biases. Check out the kenpom vs AP rankings of UVA both right now and historically. Virginia is almost never ranked within 5 or 6 spots of where kenpom puts them.

Gonzaga will probably be #1 in the poll, but I don't think the results warrant it. It's the simple effect of playing in a crappy conference. I just looked at the schedule. Only one really good team. And Arizona was missing one of their best cheaters, I mean players, and not playing its best ball. Still, good win. Tennessee and Florida are next, and those teams would be lower-middle of the pack in the ACC, down with Uke. Not bad wins, but nothing to crow about. That big win over UW looks like nothing special now. And now in conference where there is not a single team that should beat you. So you keep winning while all the other teams in the polls go into their conferences and beat each other. As polls work, lose and fall, win and at least stay, but when you stay steady and the guy above you falls... you rise. You rise, but most people feel you don't really deserve it, because look who you're playing. Sucks for Gonzaga even while it works out great for you.

Gonzaga is a really good team. Best in the nation? Shrug. I don't think so but then I don't have an answer for who is, so I won't debate it. Will Gonzaga win the tournament? No, I don't think so. Would Gonzaga be undefeated and #1 if it were in another conference? Pac-12 maybe, SEC very possibly (I don't think UK would do very well against Gonzaga's disciplined game), Big * or ACC? No way. But it's not really fair to crap on Gonzaga's records due to poor conference affiliation, because it's not like you are UCLA choosing to be in the WCC or something. There really is no alternative other than independence and that's a tough way to go, so you're kinda stuck. It must suck being the UConn women of your conference. I would spend two months just waiting for it to be over and the tournament to get here. Pretty amazing accomplishment by Monson and Few to build what they have at a relatively obscure Catholic college in Spokane, Washington.

MileHigh
01-29-2017, 04:56 AM
KU
WVU
Zona

those are the three teams that I think are the best in the country right now. As for the Zags....they are a truly great team...but they will go over two months without playing a sweet 16 caliber team and I am concerned about their readiness for that type of game when it comes. There really is no way to prepare for that level of game without playing a few along the way.

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2017, 05:14 AM

Weird.

Yes, because you're ignoring the fact that they were beat soundly at West Virginia the game before and have two losses; two more than us. It's just kind of a bit self-loathing as a fan to me that is all.

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2017, 05:16 AM

Why are you guys completely ignoring the fact that they also lost to West Virginia? It's like you guys forgot that they actually lost a game this week as well. They have two losses we have zero.

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2017, 05:19 AM
KU
WVU
Zona

those are the three teams that I think are the best in the country right now. As for the Zags....they are a truly great team...but they will go over two months without playing a sweet 16 caliber team and I am concerned about their readiness for that type of game when it comes. There really is no way to prepare for that level of game without playing a few along the way.

West Virginia? I'm sorry but your post is very self loathing. It's like, "aww shucks, gee whiz, thanks for thinking of us thinking about us you're too kind but we don't deserve it." Are out of conference schedule was very good, we beat top teams in the country, we are destroying our conference competition, and most importantly we have lost a game all season. We absolutely deserve to be number one and of the best team in the country.

gueastcoast
01-29-2017, 06:04 AM
East coast bias is real. I think GU deserves to be #1, but I have to live in the real world, where in voters' minds KU's impressive victory at UK leaves a far stronger impression than our near 50-point win over an outmanned and undersized Pepperdine.

To this same point, those of you who think the voters will look to our performance in Provo as validation of our bona fides by winning against a chippy team in a difficult road-game environment...no. That logic makes sense in Spokane and other points west, but believe me when I say the media elite won't give that game much more weight than our wins at places like Pepperdine, Portland and Pacific. I don't agree with it at all, but that's how it is.

Zagger
01-29-2017, 06:27 AM
KU
WVU
Zona

I feel Zag practices gotta count in there somewhere. Due to Zag depth they've got to have some pretty darn good practices - especially when trying to get the ball in the hoop against one another. I feel the Zags deserve #1 come Monday but I certainly see how many folks feel Kansas would too. I'd actually rather see the Zags reach #1 after both away games at BYU and SMC. Provo and Moraga are going to be HOPPING. The fans at those games could go completely nuts. Both venues would be excellent tests for any team in the nation. So, all things considered, I'll be a happy camper with GU @ #2. A steady climb to #1 and staying there would be awesome (as opposed to getting there then going down a few notches should GU lose at either BYU or SMC).

TravelinZag
01-29-2017, 06:31 AM
The last time UConn won the title, they were not ranked #1 and they were not the best team in the nation. They just "refused to lose." Works for me!

Go Zags!

MileHigh
01-29-2017, 06:44 AM
West Virginia? I'm sorry but your post is very self loathing. It's like, "aww shucks, gee whiz, thanks for thinking of us thinking about us you're too kind but we don't deserve it." Are out of conference schedule was very good, we beat top teams in the country, we are destroying our conference competition, and most importantly we have lost a game all season. We absolutely deserve to be number one and of the best team in the country.

I think my post was unreponsive to the original question. My comments were as to which team is the "best" team in the country right now, not who deserves to be ranked number one. I look at the rankings as more of a subjective beauty contest than an actual barometer of who would beat who.

As for the original question of whether the Zags deserve to be ranked number 1 come Tuesday? They absollutely deserve it. They are undefeated, and have played enough good teams during the non-con where they are now the prettiest girl in the pageant. But, that being said, they still would be an underdog on a neutral court if they were to play the other top 3 or 4 ranked teams in the country.

Zagricultural
01-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Yes because what we post on a message board has a major impact on what happens on the court. This never ending nonsense will never end. Ugh!!!

Ha ha :) I am just stating my approach to the threads question. I personally enjoy just taking it one game at a time, and savoring this team. Now that we are here I am pumped for the ranking tomorrow.

Coach Crazy
01-29-2017, 07:22 AM
The Zags have the same amount of Top 50 wins. They also have no losses to an Top 51-100 team. Nor a loss to a Top 50.

The reality of this year's schedule is that the only thing KU has a leg up on with GU are the number of games played against Top 51-100 competition. Well, and less against 100-whatever.

But do you really think GU loses to Asheville, Georgia, Stanford, Nebraska, or Texas Tech?

I think this program would benefit from being in a better conference. But this my be one of those years where the numbers are harder to argue with in stating how good they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagceo
01-29-2017, 07:25 AM
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/College-Basketball/2017/01/29/No-3-Gonzaga-tops-Pepperdine-aboosts-win-streak-to-22/6431485698527/

amaronizag
01-29-2017, 07:35 AM
I'm getting a little tired of hearing commentators say Gonzaga deserves the #1 ranking spot because they're undefeated, but maybe they aren't the best team in the nation. Well, maybe they aren't, but that hasn't been decided yet, and it won't be decided until March. I'm hoping the team is getting a little tired of that talk also and I suspect they're getting really anxious to prove how good they are. Yes the Zags have a lot to prove to some people and I think they're doing their best to prove it every night they play. That's all they can do, keep winning by a big margin, and keep getting better. This is the most confident I've ever felt about a GU team and I think they are going to surprise a lot of fans and teams in the tournament. In the mean time, heal quickly, keep your focus, and keep destroying every team you face.

MontanaCoyote
01-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Big difference/contrast on this thread between relatively new posters and older timers!

RenoZag
01-29-2017, 07:41 AM
I'm getting a little tired of hearing commentators say Gonzaga deserves the #1 ranking spot because they're undefeated, but maybe they aren't the best team in the nation. Well, maybe they aren't, but that hasn't been decided yet, and it won't be decided until March. I'm hoping the team is getting a little tired of that talk also and I suspect they're getting really anxious to prove how good they are. Yes the Zags have a lot to prove to some people and I think they're doing their best to prove it every night they play. That's all they can do, keep winning by a big margin, and keep getting better. This is the most confident I've ever felt about a GU team and I think they are going to surprise a lot of fans and teams in the tournament. In the mean time, heal quickly, keep your focus, and keep destroying every team you face.

:000tens:

Thanks, amaronizag. Sums things up perfectly.

And it's not annoying ! ;) :p

Kong-Kool-Aid
01-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Kansas will be #1 and we will be #2.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 09:02 AM
BYU now #99 in RPI

seacatfan
01-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Don't get caught up in the media narrative.

It is the freshman for Arizona, especially their stud center, that make Arizona the next best team to Gonzaga and the team I fear the most in post season.

Arizona's center is a Jr. The Fr. you are referring to is a stretch 4 that occasionally plays the 3 for them.

seacatfan
01-29-2017, 09:40 AM
And Arizona was missing one of their best cheaters, I mean players

Get over yourself. He unknowingly ingested something and had a tiny trace amount in his system. That gave him no competitive advantage. He wasn't allowed to play until there was none of the substance left in his system. Also you seem to be suggesting they are all cheaters? Have any proof of this ridiculous accusation?

ZAG 4 LIFE
01-29-2017, 09:41 AM

You're probably right Jazz, but that same Kansas team got slapped
Around by West Virginia earlier this week. Granted, WVU is a very good team,
But... Should the #1 team lose by 16 to anybody?

seacatfan
01-29-2017, 09:43 AM
There is precedent for the pollsters ignoring a loss by a team at the beginning of the week if they follow it up with a big win later in the week (especially if it is Duke). They may very well act as if the WVU-KU game didn't happen.

avid-zag-fan
01-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Kansas plays Baylor on Wednesday on ESPN. I'm thinking their ratings would be higher if it was 1 vs 2 or 1 vs 3. I think that's why they keep asking "but do you really think the Zags are the best team in the country" trying to influence voters.

seacatfan
01-29-2017, 09:47 AM
You guys are stressing way too much over the polls in January. It doesn't matter one iota if GU is #1 or #2. All that matters is what happens in March/April. GU ascended to #1 once previously and got dumped in the 2nd round of the Tourney that year. I don't give a damn if they are ranked #1 at any point during the regular season, but I'd sure like to see a deeper run in the Tourney than that season I alluded to.

Bogozags
01-29-2017, 09:52 AM
I agree with you, spy.

As much as I love, eat, sleep GU Basketball, I don't think we have the BEST TEAM in the country...I find that KU has an excellent BBall team with IMO the two best guards in the country and they proved that Saturday...again IMO...We are also an excellent TEAM but I am not so sure that after playing 10 conference games that we would have just two losses playing in either the Big 12, PAC12 or ACC. We have not played in that type of Road Venue since AZ two years ago and we lost...Williams stated that GU is good but not as good as many think...they just don't have the experience of playing nip and tuck games against Top 50 RPI teams nearly every week...he has a point.

As I said, I think we have an EXCELLENT Team but IMHO, not the best...can we get to the FF and even win, YES!

Again, this is just one fan's objective opinion...and we know about opinions...

Oh, one more thing...I believe the outcome of the Villanova vs Virginia game today could also have an impact on the up coming rankings on Monday...

What if Villanova wins...Pollsters will be absolutely besides themselves...

Gonzdb8
01-29-2017, 09:57 AM
You guys are stressing way too much over the polls in January. It doesn't matter one iota if GU is #1 or #2. All that matters is what happens in March/April. GU ascended to #1 once previously and got dumped in the 2nd round of the Tourney that year. I don't give a damn if they are ranked #1 at any point during the regular season, but I'd sure like to see a deeper run in the Tourney than that season I alluded to.

Huh? I don't think anyone is equating a #1 ranking to a deep run in the tournament. A #1 ranking brings with it a lot of publicity thats good the the University and the program. It translates to more donation dollars and more students interested in applying to GU. Who cares if a bunch of fans on the internet stress out about it. I guess I don't see the downside.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Just for clarification:

Zags have more Top 50 wins than UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas and many many others. I don't care about top 100. That was just a cheap way to add quality average teams to our resume in 2013, which then I stood up for because we had the most in the nation. We now know the selection committee prefers top 50, and who wouldn't?

jim77
01-29-2017, 10:23 AM
Zags will be #1....gonna wear my Zags jacket tomorrow.

DixieZag
01-29-2017, 10:23 AM
Yes, because you're ignoring the fact that they were beat soundly at West Virginia the game before and have two losses; two more than us. It's just kind of a bit self-loathing as a fan to me that is all.

Who said I was "ignoring it"?

First, you need to understand, I don't care anywhere near as much as some around here and I'm not going to apologize for it b/c I seriously doubt that Few cares that much right now. When I see the media clearly disrespect the Zags, that I do care about - if they were ranked 8th right now, that'd be different.

But, in all the basketball I've watched and read about has had one continuing theme - this year's Zags are "different" and that's on top of acknowledging the record, etc. The few concerns I've heard are legitimate ones, "can they sustain the development in a weak conference" - is that not a reasonable question? Because that's all I've heard. Being asked "Who's better, Gonzaga or Kansas" and picking Kansas for now is not "disrespect" and should be countered with a CDC point by point breakdown, not indignation.

I think we concede a great deal, but we do it when we so clearly yearn for that number one rank validation. Do you think the Jayhawk fans really care about whether it us or them that's number one on Monday? I doubt it. This isn't seeding, it doesn't have consequences, it's a ranking. And I think that a Zag fan who knows what we are, isn't about to apologize for any of it, knows what we can do and knows what's left to do, has all the right to play it like a blue blood and basically wave at hand at it, "fk it, let's beat BYU by 40."

We're in that top 5-6 teams that can win it all, and have earned the right to act like it.

MickMick
01-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Bookmarking this thread.

There is a whole lot of "Told ya so" brewing here.

Too many "fans" reinforcing the media narratives that habitually marginalize this program.

I'm the first to call out the BS here when the Zags are depicted to be better than they actually are. Hell, I was probably close to getting banned last year.

I trust what I see and what I see is the best team in the nation. No one is consistently playing at a higher level regardless of who the competition is.

The relentless apologizing and rationalizations for this soon to be historic season turns my stomach. People are absolutely not seeing what I'm seeing. This is what I like about CDC. He concedes nothing. One of the few that is seeing what I am seeing. What KenPom is seeing.

After GU takes home the trophy, I will most certainly bring this thread back to life.

Ekrub
01-29-2017, 10:57 AM

We don't have the big name conference to lure recruits. We just have our reputation (polls) and a history of developing players. The polls don't matter to this team, but it matters to the future of GU basketball

bartruff1
01-29-2017, 11:01 AM
We don't have the big name conference to lure recruits. We just have our reputation (polls) and a history of developing players. The polls don't matter to this team, but it matters to the future of GU basketball

You bet ....I suspect every potential 4/5 star in high school or middle school in the country follows those polls...and knows that Gonzaga will be going to the NCAA for the umpteenth straight time...

seacatfan
01-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Yes #1 ranking would be nice, and yes it has nothing to do with what happens to GU in the Tourney. I suspect potential recruits are noticing GU being undefeated and ranked in the top 5. I don't think whether they are #1 or #2 will be a deciding factor for anyone. And as someone mentioned up thread, the kinds of kids that have been going to Kentucky or Duke are probably still going to go there rather than GU. Zags will get talented kids that fit their system.

DixieZag
01-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Bookmarking this thread.

There is a whole lot of "Told ya so" brewing here.

Too many "fans" reinforcing the media narratives that habitually marginalize this program.

I'm the first to call out the BS here when the Zags are depicted to be better than they actually are. Hell, I was probably close to getting banned last year.

I trust what I see and what I see is the best team in the nation. No one is consistently playing at a higher level regardless of who the competition is.

The relentless apologizing and rationalizations for this soon to be historic season turns my stomach. People are absolutely not seeing what I'm seeing. This is what I like about CDC. He concedes nothing. One of the few that is seeing what I am seeing. What KenPom is seeing.

After GU takes home the trophy, I will most certainly bring this thread back to life.

I'm fine with the hubris and calling your shot. I hope you're right.

I'm not fine with the " fans " thing, the implication that somehow people that factor in whatever the hell they factor in, are A) Buying into the media's narrative, and B) thus marginalizing the program.

I don't know enough basketball one way or another, I'm not in this equation, but for the love of dog, the act that some of you are fighting for the team against enemies within, that you are better "fans" than others, that others not blessed by the clarity granted unto you, are hurting the program. Please.

MDABE80
01-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Highest ranking doesn't mean some team is the best team in the country. Befuddling isn't it???
In the end, it's settled on the court. We win all of the remaining games, I'd say we are likely BOTH.

Zag365
01-29-2017, 12:23 PM
Yes #1 ranking would be nice, and yes it has nothing to do with what happens to GU in the Tourney. I suspect potential recruits are noticing GU being undefeated and ranked in the top 5. I don't think whether they are #1 or #2 will be a deciding factor for anyone. And as someone mentioned up thread, the kinds of kids that have been going to Kentucky or Duke are probably still going to go there rather than GU. Zags will get talented kids that fit their system.

Agree with this and your other posts on this subject. It would be great if we are ranked #1, but I'm not going to be outraged if we aren't. As others said, there is room for debate. The more important outcome is to get a good seed/location, then win as many of the two-game tournaments as possible.

23dpg
01-29-2017, 12:51 PM
FTR, I don't care if GU is ranked 1,2 or 3 come Monday. Like I said in another thread, "been there, done that".
What I do care about is making a final four. I have already requested that week off from work, so let's do that!

Also, Seth Davis said on TV that he's ranking the Zags 4th on Monday. And yes he has a vote.

Zags11
01-29-2017, 12:55 PM

This

Zagricultural
01-29-2017, 12:58 PM
FTR, I don't care if GU is ranked 1,2 or 3 come Monday. Like I said in another thread, "been there, done that".
What I do care about is making a final four. I have already requested that week off from work, so let's do that!

Also, Seth Davis said on TV that he's ranking the Zags 4th on Monday. And yes he has a vote.

Curious if he stated who he would put ahead of us?

kitzbuel
01-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Kansas and Villanova both decided they want to have a say as to who is best. I'm very impressed with the KU win, also impressed by Villanova's comeback today. They are gonna be noticed.

Best thing about NCAA basketball is the best team in the country gets decided in April and GU has as good a shot to be there as KU or Villanova.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm going back on my thought. We are not 1

OntZags
01-29-2017, 01:31 PM
I'm going back on my thought. We are not 1

Kansas Baylor & Nova will likely all get 1st place votes but I think Gonzaga is sliding in there - for better or worse - this week.

Calling:

1. Gonzaga 2. Kansas 3. Baylor 4. Villanova 5. Arizona

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Kansas Baylor & Nova will likely all get 1st place votes but I think Gonzaga is sliding in there - for better or worse - this week.

Calling:

1. Gonzaga 2. Kansas 3. Baylor 4. Villanova 5. Arizona

I hope you're right. I just think it was a long time from Tuesday or Wednesday (whatever it was) till now. Again hope you're right.

23dpg
01-29-2017, 02:08 PM
Curious if he stated who he would put ahead of us?

He did. Kansas, Villanova and Arizona

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 02:15 PM
He did. Kansas, Villanova and Arizona

I'm fine with the Arizona pick. Not fine with Villanova or kansas

Zagricultural
01-29-2017, 02:36 PM
I realize our Arizona win is tainted, but we are far better now than we were then too!

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 02:41 PM
I realize our Arizona win is tainted, but we are far better now than we were then too!

I mean I don't see how it's tainted too much. They were still a top 15 team without trier

jazzdelmar
01-29-2017, 02:51 PM
I mean I don't see how it's tainted too much. They were still a top 15 team without trier

Parker Cartwright also did not play. An important player for AZ.

MDABE80
01-29-2017, 02:55 PM
GU vs AZ: I think it would be a defensive struggle. I do think Karno would do well. Shooters would too. AZ looks tough now. So do we.

Zagricultural
01-29-2017, 05:07 PM
GU vs AZ: I think it would be a defensive struggle. I do think Karno would do well. Shooters would too. AZ looks tough now. So do we.

I agree it would be tough, but man they have looked awful since UCLA. I think the Zags win 7 of 10 on a neutral court.

thespywhozaggedme
01-29-2017, 05:10 PM
I'm fine with the Arizona pick. Not fine with Villanova or kansas

This is absurd. We beat them head to head and they have two more losses than we do.

gonzagafan62
01-29-2017, 05:19 PM
This is absurd. We beat them head to head and they have two more losses than we do.

No it's completely fine when we played them it was without PJC and trier. We barely beat them on neutral court... I'm not discounting it. But I'm more scared of Arizona than any team right mow

CDC84
01-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Gonzaga is much better than they were in early December. 5 of GU's top 8 players - JWIII, NWG, Mathews, Collins and Tillie - didn't play on last year's team. And really, Karno didn't either. The team was nowhere near as cohesive as it is now.

The Arizona win has a little bit of an asterisk, but to say that GU would've won the game or not with Zona at full strength is just pure speculation. You can't turn the clock back. It should also be noted that although it was a neutral court win, there were a lot more U of A fans in the stands.

I am not scared of playing Arizona again because of Trier and PJC. I am scared because of the familiarity factor. Sean Miller has already coached against Gonzaga. He knows what to expect. I'd rather face an elite team that GU hasn't faced yet.

hondo
01-29-2017, 06:50 PM
"Gonzaga is much better than they were in early December. 5 of GU's top 8 players - JWIII, NWG, Mathews, Collins and Tillie - didn't play on last year's team. And really, Karno didn't either. The team was nowhere near as cohesive as it is now."

Very good point CDC. I completely agree.

CDC84
01-29-2017, 07:46 PM
But see, these are the things we pick up on Hondo because we watch every minute of every Zag game. Some loud mouthed ACC fan from Charlotte is in bed by the time the Zags take the court.

jim77
01-29-2017, 10:53 PM
I believe the Zags will get the nod....#1

Zaga
01-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Being #1 in the polls and making the FF would be the "cherry". Shem stated that he doesn't care about the ranking and I believe the team is focused only on getting better.

Go Zag's - Beat BYU

TexasZagFan
01-30-2017, 05:42 AM
"Gonzaga is much better than they were in early December. 5 of GU's top 8 players - JWIII, NWG, Mathews, Collins and Tillie - didn't play on last year's team. And really, Karno didn't either. The team was nowhere near as cohesive as it is now."

Very good point CDC. I completely agree.

Karno now knows where J3 is going to be on virtually every possession. It's like those two communicate by ESP.

Birddog
01-30-2017, 06:27 AM
People use analytics when they "confirm" the person's pre-existing biases. Check out the kenpom vs AP rankings of UVA both right now and historically. Virginia is almost never ranked within 5 or 6 spots of where kenpom puts them.

Gonzaga will probably be #1 in the poll, but I don't think the results warrant it. It's the simple effect of playing in a crappy conference. I just looked at the schedule. Only one really good team. And Arizona was missing one of their best cheaters, I mean players, and not playing its best ball. Still, good win. Tennessee and Florida are next, and those teams would be lower-middle of the pack in the ACC, down with Uke. Not bad wins, but nothing to crow about. That big win over UW looks like nothing special now. And now in conference where there is not a single team that should beat you. So you keep winning while all the other teams in the polls go into their conferences and beat each other. As polls work, lose and fall, win and at least stay, but when you stay steady and the guy above you falls... you rise. You rise, but most people feel you don't really deserve it, because look who you're playing. Sucks for Gonzaga even while it works out great for you.

Gonzaga is a really good team. Best in the nation? Shrug. I don't think so but then I don't have an answer for who is, so I won't debate it. Will Gonzaga win the tournament? No, I don't think so. Would Gonzaga be undefeated and #1 if it were in another conference? Pac-12 maybe, SEC very possibly (I don't think UK would do very well against Gonzaga's disciplined game), Big * or ACC? No way. But it's not really fair to crap on Gonzaga's records due to poor conference affiliation, because it's not like you are UCLA choosing to be in the WCC or something. There really is no alternative other than independence and that's a tough way to go, so you're kinda stuck. It must suck being the UConn women of your conference. I would spend two months just waiting for it to be over and the tournament to get here. Pretty amazing accomplishment by Monson and Few to build what they have at a relatively obscure Catholic college in Spokane, Washington.

Thanks for the complisult, a little wordy though and that would be an obscure Catholic University.

TexasZagFan
01-30-2017, 06:46 AM

"Only one really good team". Can stop right there. I wonder how this troll defines a "good team"?

Obviously an ACC homer, I've got one in the office who's a Dukie, and another who's a Syracuse alum. The sniping ended when they took a look at KenPom, though there really wasn't any sniping.

BTW, nice choke at Villanova yesterday.

Will Gonzaga win the tournament? No, I don't think so.

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/2046649/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

LongIslandZagFan
01-30-2017, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the complisult, a little wordy though and that would be an obscure Catholic University.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/0zsGv27PjMoibjjaxY4DWW1cyDae6BjilPoR3cN3G6JHTBi5G5 e_TlP96LCtHRaFnVkrWO-uto7S_SGcJUadjK8=s200

seacatfan
01-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Karno now knows where J3 is going to be on virtually every possession. It's like those two communicate by ESP.

It looks like JWIII gleefully dives toward the rim whenever Karno gets doubled. He knows a dunk for himself is a likely outcome.

TexasZagFan
01-30-2017, 10:22 AM
It looks like JWIII gleefully dives toward the rim whenever Karno gets doubled. He knows a dunk for himself is a likely outcome.

With Tillie being out for (hopefully just) a few games, Karno and Zach are getting a chance to play at the same time. Zach likes those alley oops, he knows how to finish them off.

seacatfan
01-30-2017, 10:41 AM
With Tillie being out for (hopefully just) a few games, Karno and Zach are getting a chance to play at the same time. Zach likes those alley oops, he knows how to finish them off.

Collins has been on the receiving end of an 'oop from several teammates. The guards seem to like throwing it up high and let him go get it.

This is already drifting OT, but to further diverge have you seen the Will Ferrell comedy "Semi-pro"--it contains a humorous scene about the fictional invention of the alley oop.

TexasZagFan
01-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Collins has been on the receiving end of an 'oop from several teammates. The guards seem to like throwing it up high and let him go get it.

This is already drifting OT, but to further diverge have you seen the Will Ferrell comedy "Semi-pro"--it contains a humorous scene about the fictional invention of the alley oop.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjtTQBM4L9et0twWUQ8cpJdZMx9OXVT RocDuf_o9vziRQgdcUp

Time to let it go...8 pages.