PDA

View Full Version : Tillie and Williams injuries

gonzagafan62
01-23-2017, 05:38 PM
Not even sure why they were playing it both were hurt today. Williams seems like he's okay but Tilliehad tone helped off court. I'm not very happy right now.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Furious.

What can we do? Should we start a petition? Who do we need to get ahold of? This has been a problem for years. Finally bit us.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Williams has as lengthy history with that same knee. Missed 3 months of off-season with meniscus issues. He's still rubbing it and keeping it straight on bench as I type.

Tillie's ankle was bad. Could hear him saying his ankle, and his knee. Usually severe high ankle sprains will feel like you injured both -- most high ankle sprains take 4-8 wks to heal (would be back by March Madness). Jeremy Jones missed around 6 wks with his ankle sprain.

Both are bad news issues. J3 has had problems with his left knee. Tillie has a severe sprain, possibly more.

In some ways, Williams III has been our MVP, esp in League Play. Without him, our defense and rim protection and clutch buckets drop significantly. Tillie has been so versatile and terrific off the bench. Extends the defense, can play 2 positions, is another shot blocker, and brings timely fouls and has a nose for the ball. In some ways, an MVP off the bench.

Have a feeling JWIII will be OK. Although, his knee has a history. Also have a feeling Tillie is out for the foreseeable future, maybe the rest of the season or until WCC Tourney time.

Based entirely on what I type of injury it appeared to be -- of course we'll have to wait and see.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 05:51 PM
FWIW, Williams hasn't bent or moved his left leg on the bench. since the 8 min mark. Still keeping it straight, as he's used to dealing with it previously...

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 05:54 PM
The thing is both Tillie and JW III play the same position. Very frustrating.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 05:56 PM
JWIII was named POG.

Agree. his energy and hustle was the difference, as its been the last 5 games.

Also, J3 is clearly limping while walking off the court.

Couldn't be more dissapppointed in tonight's injuries. Zags are in a great position, but need all hands on deck if we plan to prove all the doubters wrong come post season.

DixieZag
01-23-2017, 05:56 PM
AKA - "How to lose a game in Portland"

The one thing that actually could go really wrong. Announcer talking about "so much depth in front court" right now, post game. Maybe not so much now.

If both down for a while, Norvelle? 6'5?

Zagricultural
01-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Just ticks me off we even played this game. The WCC is ****!

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 06:03 PM
sick to my stomach after this *tainted* win.

ugh.

JWIII is incredibly important for this team to match up with ANY BCS team, and has been playing so well lately. Really our energizer, hustler, emotional boost, not to mention how clutch he seems to be.

Tough kid. Will play though anything, but really protecting his knee on the bench. Nursing it, keeping it straight, then what really hurt to see --- limping through the hand-shake line and to the locker room.

Tillie's was more freak accident, no previous issues, but will be out for many weeks, if not longer.

Just devastating. The last thing these kids deserve, or the Zags.

I don't have the best feeling about either injury. J3's knee could linger all season or be better by tomorrow. Tillie will be hampered for some time.

Only silver lining, looks like Perkins and NWG will be 100% soon.

gonzagafan62
01-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Ouch thanks goshzagit

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Ouch thanks goshzagit

I have NO idea the extent of their injuries, just stating the obvious….neither looked good.

JWIII tweaked his bad knee and Tillie's was ugly.

For the trainer and coach to be feeling his knee says high ankle (typical recovery is 1 to 2 months), and JWIII missed all Summer with knee issues i.e. 2-3 months.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 06:10 PM
sick to my stomach after this *tainted* win.

ugh.

JWIII is incredibly important for this team to match up with ANY BCS team, and has been playing so well lately. Really our energizer, hustler, emotional boost, not to mention how clutch he seems to be.

Tough kid. Will play though anything, but really protecting his knee on the bench. Nursing it, keeping it straight, then what really hurt to see --- limping through the hand-shake line and to the locker room.

Tillie's was more freak accident, no previous issues, but will be out for many weeks, if not longer.

Just devastating. The last thing these kids deserve, or the Zags.

I don't have the best feeling about either injury. J3's knee could linger all season or be better by tomorrow. Tillie will be hampered for some time.

Only silver lining, looks like Perkins and NWG will be 100% soon.

Where did you hear that Killie will be out several weeks?

GeorgiaZagFan
01-23-2017, 06:11 PM
....if Williams and Tillie are both out a month or so, who would most likely get their minutes? Rui? As long as they both come back completely healthy, there may be a silver lining to this ... an acceleration of Hachimura's development. Then come tournament time he may be an asset ....just hopeful that JW and KT are 100% heading into March.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 06:12 PM
I have NO idea the extent of their injuries, just stating the obvious….neither looked good.

For the trainer and coach to be feeling his knee says high ankle (typical recovery is 1 to 2 months), and JWIII missed all Summer with knee issues i.e. 2-3 months.

What do you mean you have no idea the extent of the injuries? Two posts ago you just said that Killie would be out for several weeks. Are you just making stuff up? You can't post stuff like that if you're just making up, people take it seriously. It's very irresponsible to do that.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Where did you hear that Killie will be out several weeks?

I said IF he has a high ankle sprain, he'd be out weeks to months.

Nothing definitive as I immediately followed up my post with an explanation.

I was just reacting to what I saw on TV, same as anyone else, or even the announcers.

Ankle. Non weight bearing. Pain all the way to knee. Full weight landing, full turn of ankle. Ouch.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 06:15 PM
What do you mean you have no idea the extent of the injuries? Two posts ago you just said that Killie would be out for several weeks. Are you just making stuff up? You can't post stuff like that if you're just making up, people take it seriously. It's very irresponsible to do that.

Stop. Just stop. Read all my posts. It wasn't my intent at all. Irresponsible?

You know exactly what I was doing and trying to say. My follow up post was submitted prior to your 'take it and run' post, so who is being irresponsible here?

Plainsman
01-23-2017, 06:16 PM
It sure looked like Tillie had some hyper extension of the knee on the replay. We can only hope for the best until we know more.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 06:17 PM
I said IF he has a high ankle sprain, he'd be out weeks to months.

Nothing definitive as I immediately followed up my post with an explanation.

I was just reacting to what I saw on TV, same as anyone else, or even the announcers.

Ankle. Non weight bearing. Pain all the way to knee. Full weight landing, full turn of ankle. Ouch.

No you didnt. This is your exact post:

gonzagafan62
01-23-2017, 06:18 PM

I knew what you meant

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 06:18 PM
Stop. Just stop. Read all my posts. It wasn't my intent at all. Irresponsible?

You know exactly what I was doing and trying to say. My follow up post was submitted prior to your 'take it and run' post, so who is being irresponsible here?

I just copied and pasted exactly what you wrote in my previous post. You were irresponsible, just admit you made a mistake and move on.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 06:22 PM
No you didnt. This is your exact post:

Not even the team, training staff, or doctors know the extent of the injury, Spy. What is your intent?

I was responding to a typical high ankle sprain type injury, as in most are out for several wks, if not longer. Jeremy Jones, for instance, was out for nearly 2 months.

The real issue is we have two injures that did not LOOK good. Tillie's seemed severe, but will have to wait and see, as I stated. JWIII has documented knee issues from last Summer. That is all.

Please keep in mind, you posted these accusations after I made my corrected, more detailed explanation post.

Idahozag10
01-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Malika Andrews said via twitter

"Mark Few says Tillie's ankle injury is a bad sprain but it will be evaluated back in Spokane. #Zags"

@malika_andrews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDC84
01-23-2017, 06:25 PM
I realize that JWIII has had issues with that knee before, but his injury looked a hell of a lot less troublesome than Tillie's did. The worry with Tillie, as someone mentioned, is if the knee got involved. If it's a high ankle sprain at some point GU will get him back. Gotta hope for the best.

I don't know if the Zags can win at BYU without JWIII. And the thing that worries me about JWIII is that so much of his greatness is based on his jumping ability. He's got to be able to trust that knee.

Idahozag10
01-23-2017, 06:27 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/702a34bc90c4eea95c62d52935852586.png

Section 116
01-23-2017, 06:29 PM
JW3 appeared to be sitting comfortably on the "bench" to me when out of the game after his "injury". No trainers or personnel were attending to him though they may have been involved with Tillie. JW3 I believe walked comfortably through the post game handshake line and post game team huddle as I recall. Some one who recorded the game should be able to verify.

ZagsObserver
01-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Well, this is the one thing that could get in the way of a lucrative season. It's part of the game, though. Get better Zags!

Section 116
01-23-2017, 06:34 PM
Verify Idahozag10! Meehan tweet 7:33pm: Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm

Few on Tillie: "Looks to me like a pretty bad ankle sprain."

sittingon50
01-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Who is Malika Andrews?

CDC84
01-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Well doctors, how long do bad high ankle sprains take to heal? I suppose if there is anything positive to take from the injury is that it is January 23. Be thankful this injury didn't take place during the WCC tourney or something.

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Well, this is the one thing that could get in the way of a lucrative season. It's part of the game, though. Get better Zags!

Agreed.

Having a mild anxiety attack over it though, esp this point of the season and so much on the line.

Need your mindset.

Relax and hope for the best.

All this media exposure and attn is terrific, yet more pressure even for the fans.

Really wish we hadn't even played this game, but too late now.

Need to rise up and face it head on.

Just hope these kids will be ok. For them, for the team, for the haters, even for us.

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2017, 06:40 PM
JMHO... these are league games... you play to win the games... you don't play in fear of injury. I am sorry, but these guys are just as likely to get the same injuries in practice. Should they stop that too?

I get that it is frustrating... but please... this whole "they shouldn't be playing" thing is getting a bit stale.

Play to win the game... play to win the game... and play to win the game.

Also... why would they NOT play the game? It is a LEAGUE GAME.

MontanaCoyote
01-23-2017, 06:41 PM
JW3 appeared to be sitting comfortably on the "bench" to me when out of the game after his "injury". No trainers or personnel were attending to him though they may have been involved with Tillie. JW3 I believe walked comfortably through the post game handshake line and post game team huddle as I recall. Some one who recorded the game should be able to verify.

I watched JWIII closely walking the line and it appeared as though he was walking without discomfort. Hard to tell much from that, but hopefully a good sign.

SWZag
01-23-2017, 06:46 PM
JWIII appeared shaken before the play he went out too. Seems he may have something nagging him that rises up every now and then. Maybe with contact or certain movements.

gonzagafan62
01-23-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm going to hope we dodged yet another huge bullet. JW3, if fine that's great news.

Tillie on the other hand even if we get him back in march he may not be fully healthy the rest of the year. Bummer

strikenowhere
01-23-2017, 06:47 PM
The Zags *should* be fine for the next two games (vs. San Diego Thursday, @Pepperdine Sat). However, the game against BYU on Feb 2nd is where we would see any losses to the rotation hurting their chances. Hopefully JWIII is fine and Tillie isn't as bad as it first appears after getting the follow-up.

gonstu
01-23-2017, 06:48 PM
JMHO... these are league games... you play to win the games... you don't play in fear of injury. I am sorry, but these guys are just as likely to get the same injuries in practice. Should they stop that too?

I get that it is frustrating... but please... this whole "they shouldn't be playing" thing is getting a bit stale.

Thank you!

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Because we were up by almost 30 with 10 minutes left in the game. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to be in the game. We have young guys that need real game experience. That's why.

LongIslandZagFan
01-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Because we were up by almost 30 with 10 minutes left in the game. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to be in the game. We have young guys that need real game experience. That's why.

Again, there is just as much if not more probability that they get injured in practice. Tille was in because likely Few wanted to get him more minutes. JW was in likely because Tille got hurt.

I'd rather he not hit the bench, regardless of score, until at least the 5 minute remaining mark. JMHO, if a team folds up the tents halfway through the second half and the other team makes a run... it will be hard to get the momentum back.

sittingon50
01-23-2017, 06:58 PM
Tillie needed the PT. Foul issues & match-ups have really limited his minutes lately. It was exactly the proper time for him to be in.

Karno fell in practice last year & ended his season. To be safe, I think he should just start skipping practices.

SWZag
01-23-2017, 07:01 PM

My thoughts exactly. If a player is playing 20 minutes because they're all blow-outs, then when we need them to play 35 in a close game, they're ill-prepared.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Again, there is just as much if not more probability that they get injured in practice. Tille was in because likely Few wanted to get him more minutes. JW was in likely because Tille got hurt.

I'd rather he not hit the bench, regardless of score, until at least the 5 minute remaining mark. JMHO, if a team folds up the tents halfway through the second half and the other team makes a run... it will be hard to get the momentum back.

You're missing the point; you have to practice. You don't have to, and I am many others would argue, you should not be in a game when you're up by 30 with 10 minutes left. Absolutely no reason for it whatsoever. Besides Rui and the other guys need the real game experience.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 07:05 PM
My thoughts exactly. If a player is playing 20 minutes because they're all blow-outs, then when we need them to play 35 in a close game, they're ill-prepared.

No they're not because they are practicing. Besides how does playing in blow outs all the time preparing you for anything?

Goshzagit
01-23-2017, 07:06 PM
Tillie is so valuable to this team's collective & post season success, so hope his return is sooner than later.

Terrific shot blocker, zone defender, under rated rebounder, & has a nose for the ball like no other, not to mention JW3's back up -- who may also gimpy. And 6'10" depth for fouls & playing all out aggressive for both players.

Only silver lining is more mins for JWIII, accelerated development for Rui, & an opportunity for Jeremy Jones, who had great potential. Jones is only 6'6", but that works OK in WCC play. Can buy time.

All that said, both JWIII and Tillie are imperative for post season success.

Zags just took a step back tonight, but much like last year, we'll find a way to step up & make it work.

23dpg
01-23-2017, 07:09 PM

+1

MickMick
01-23-2017, 07:11 PM
My hair isn't on fire.

If it isn't a broken bone or torn ACL/MCL, the guys will be playing in March.

Meanwhile......it is obvious that Rui is the 3rd "4 position".

Let's see the kid learn under fire. Isn't that all part of the fun? Watching players evolve?

FuManShoes
01-23-2017, 07:11 PM
Folks whining about the Zags playing this game sound like Gaels fans or something. Last I checked every team in the league plays each other home and away. These are big boys. They can handle a couple games in three days. That didn't cause Tillie's injury any more than what point in the game he was playing did. Things happen. They'll deal with it.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 07:15 PM

The "they could get injured in practice" thing is a poor argument.

Let's estimate that every single minute the players are on the floor, practice or game, there's a .0001 chance they suffer a major injury. 1/10,000

We want to limit, as much as we can, the minutes they're out there, either way.

Of COURSE they could get injured in practice. But playing in a 30-point blowout would be like if Coach Few made the players play Horse or knockout or whatever after practice...something completely pointless. How would you feel if they got hurt then?

FuManShoes
01-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Yes. Thank you for talking good sense.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 07:16 PM

You play to win the game, yes. The game had already been won.

Zagricultural
01-23-2017, 07:17 PM
I don't have a good feeling about the Tillie injury after re-watching it several times. Doesn't look good. There definitely appears to be some flex to the knee that shouldn't be there. I really don't want to lose him for the season! JWIII looks much more hopeful, but I sure wish they would sit him on Thursday!! C'mon! Please! Too important to risk re-injury. Start Collins and play Edwards and Rui 7-10 minutes each. We will still win.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 07:21 PM
I don't have a good feeling about the Tillie injury after re-watching it several times. Doesn't look good. There definitely appears to be some flex to the knee that shouldn't be there. I really don't want to lose him for the season! JWIII looks much more hopeful, but I sure wish they would sit him on Thursday!! C'mon! Please! Too important to risk re-injury. Start Collins and play Edwards and Rui 7-10 minutes each. We will still win.

KenPom has us at 99.5% to beat San Diego. 29-point favorites. It's time we start taking advantage of the fact that we play in the WCC and get our guys some rest.

CDC84
01-23-2017, 07:21 PM
I am with LIZF. Tillie and Collins need minutes. The guys who need to be resting are JWIII and Karno. The two freshmen need every second on the court they can get. They are freshmen with minimal playing experience. It was too early to call off the dogs when Killie got hurt, regardless of the 28 point margin. As we saw towards the end, Portland cut into that margin. It's quite possible by playing guys like Ryan Edwards that margin could've gotten into the low teens with that much time on the clock and Portland's starters playing their tails off.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 07:30 PM
I am with LIZF. Tillie and Collins need minutes. The guys who need to be resting are JWIII and Karno. The two freshmen need every second on the court they can get. They are freshmen with minimal playing experience. It was too early to call off the dogs when Killie got hurt, regardless of the 28 point margin. As we saw towards the end, Portland cut into that margin. It's quite possible by playing guys like Ryan Edwards that margin could've gotten into the low teens with that much time on the clock and Portland's starters playing their tails off.
Yeah......you're reaching. we were playing the Portland Pilots not the Portland Trailblazers.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Yeah......you're reaching. we were playing the Portland Pilots not the Portland Trailblazers.

Yeah.

On Saturday, at the 10:00 mark of the second half, the Zags were up by only 10.

Their win projection? Greater than 99%. And that's up by only 10! Up by 30, you're 99.99999999999999999% to win.

Sit the top 8.

CDC84
01-23-2017, 07:37 PM
You can't play this game out of fear of getting hurt Spy. Tillie and Collins need minutes. They are freshmen. There was nearly 10 minutes left in the game when Tillie went down, who is the 4th big man coming off the pine. I guarantee you there isn't a coach in America that would've pulled his 4th big man from the game with 11 minutes left in the game out of fear of him getting hurt. Every minute of organized basketball playing experience is vital to the development of young players. When it comes to your starters....maybe a different story. Like why was Tom Brady in the game with 5 minutes left and New England well in control last night.

I would've had Tillie playing if Gonzaga was up 288 points, and I would be getting all over his case if he wasn't hustling for rebounds and running the proper play on offense. These guys need experience. Every second of organized basketball is crucial to development. You can't simulate it in any other environment.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 07:40 PM
You can't play this game out of fear of getting hurt Spy. Tillie and Collins need minutes. They are freshmen. There was nearly 10 minutes left in the game when Tillie went down, who is the 4th big man coming off the pine. I guarantee you there isn't a coach in America that would've pulled his 4th big man from the game with 11 minutes left in the game out of fear of him getting hurt. Every minute of organized basketball playing experience is vital to the development of young players. When it comes to your starters....maybe a different story. Like why was Tom Brady in the game with 5 minutes left and New England well in control last night.

You can make this argument, sure. Every minute is valuable, yes. Some more than others, but yes.

But the more relevant argument is the value of those extra minutes in garbage time versus the risk of injury. To me, the risk far, far, far outweighs the reward.

The reward is minuscule. The risk is massive.

CDC84
01-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Name me a coach who wouldn't be playing his 4th big man with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half with a big lead, and I will name you a coach who doesn't have a head basketball coaching job right now.

It's so easy to bash the head coach in retrospect for his decision after a player gets hurt. If you want Tillie to be a highly effective big man in the NCAA tournament, he needs minutes. Otherwise you might as well not even play him. Most games that Gonzaga plays in the WCC are going to be blow outs. It's senseless to be playing guys for 10 minutes who aren't going to see a minute in a sweet 16 game.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Name me a coach who wouldn't be playing his 4th big man with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half with a big lead, and I will name you a coach who doesn't have a head basketball coaching job right now.

I said this in another thread. We are so much more advanced, smarter, and better than so many other programs in so many other areas. International recruiting. Strength training/body development during redshirt years.

Why not be the first team to actively attempt to minimize injury risk, when the risk vastly outweighs the reward? We can and we should be that team

Markburn1
01-23-2017, 07:59 PM
Thoroughly ridiculous argument. Zags average margin of victory is 22 points. Tillie gets 14 minutes a game. By the logic of some of you folks, Tillie would get very few minutes. He's part of the rotation. He's a freshman that needs game minutes. Good teams and good players don't play the game in fear of injury. Zags are good. Hope the kids heal quickly.

bballbeachbum
01-23-2017, 08:01 PM
Tillie's ankle looks like the classic torn ligaments under the ankle bone after coming down on someone's foot and turning the ankle. we'll see, obviously that is pure speculation, but I've done that injury many flippin times, how many of you here have, come on.......

I feel how some of you are pissed, but I don't see how it's on Few. The minutes Tillie was out there playing at that point in the game make sense seems to me, he'd only played 12 minutes in the game to that point, you know?

bballbeachbum
01-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Thoroughly ridiculous argument. Zags average margin of victory is 22 points. Tillie gets 14 minutes a game. By the logic of some of you folks, Tillie would get very few minutes. He's part of the rotation. He's a freshman that needs game minutes. Good teams and good players don't play the game in fear of injury. Zags are good. Hope the kids heal quickly.

Regarding the minutes, exactly man. sucks though, he's been Killian it

CdAZagFan
01-23-2017, 08:04 PM
It takes months for teams to start reaching their full potential (see last year's team for example) by putting the time in and playing together and getting the rotations figured out by the time you get to March Madness. I'm with LIZF and CDC, you can't go in to each game afraid of injuries - unfortunately, they're part of the game. Personally, I wish we were in a conference where this discussion wouldn't even be an issue because we would be pushed night in and night out.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 08:06 PM

I would've had Tillie playing if Gonzaga was up 288 points, and I would be getting all over his case if he wasn't hustling for rebounds and running the proper play on offense. These guys need experience. Every second of organized basketball is crucial to development. You can't simulate it in any other environment.

It's the opposite of fear; it's forward thinking. What are those guys going to learn by playing against the Portland pilots being up by 25+ points? Rui needs the minutes a lot more than they do.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 08:07 PM

It's so easy to bash the head coach in retrospect for his decision after a player gets hurt. If you want Tillie to be a highly effective big man in the NCAA tournament, he needs minutes. Otherwise you might as well not even play him. Most games that Gonzaga plays in the WCC are going to be blow outs. It's senseless to be playing guys for 10 minutes who aren't going to see a minute in a sweet 16 game.

Name me a coach of the top five program that routinely plays high school level teams week in and week out.You're creating a false narrative and then arguing against it.

CDC84
01-23-2017, 08:09 PM
I don't have the disdain that you do Spy for the WCC. These are not high school teams.

In other words, let's not develop players who need development out of fear that they might get hurt. I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I think most basketball coaches wouldn't either.

There is nothing that develops players more than playing in an organized basketball game. It allows for instruction during the game and after the game during film study. Every second is a teaching opportunity. Even with an 88 point lead, there is something to be learned.

I still stand by what I said.....a college coach who wouldn't have been playing Tillie in that situation with that much time on the clock (and in a road game) is a head coach without a job. You are digging into the bench when your 4th big man appears on the floor. Especially when you're playing in a league where almost every game is a blow out. You really risk not developing your inexperienced players by not playing them as soon as the score gets out of hand.

If people were complaining about JWIII being in the game at that point......I think that's an argument worth considering. He's way more important to this team than Tillie is, and he's a starter.

If you want Rui out there, play him at small forward or whatever. But Tillie needs PT.

I'm out on this one. In my 18 years of posting on Gonzaga basketball boards, the criticism that Few is receiving in this thread is the most incomprehensible criticism that I have ever come across. Ever. He's the 4th big man in the rotation. The 4th.

Markburn1
01-23-2017, 08:12 PM
It's the opposite of fear; it's forward thinking. What are those guys going to learn by playing against the Portland pilots being up by 25+ points? Rui needs the minutes a lot more than they do.

Rui needs another year in the system before he will be a factor. Besides, Rui is immune to injury? Should just play Edwards, Rem, Triano and two rec guys to avoid injury. Sarcasm just in case anybody doesn't recognize it.

If there is nothing to learn, why play Rui?

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 08:12 PM
In other words, let's not develop players who need development out of fear that they might get hurt. I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I think most basketball coaches wouldn't either.

There is nothing that develops players more than playing in an organized basketball game. It allows for instruction during the game and after the game during film study. Every second is a teaching opportunity.

I still stand by what I said.....a college coach who wouldn't have been playing Tillie in that situation with that much time on the clock (and in a road game) is a head coach without a job. You are digging into the bench when your 4th big man appears on the floor. Especially when you're playing in a league where almost every game is a blow out. You really risk not developing your inexperienced players by not playing them.

If people were complaining about JWIII being in the game at that point......I think that's an argument worth considering. He's way more important to this team than Tillie is, and he's a starter.

If you want Rui out there, play him at small forward whatever. But Tillie needs PT.

I hate arguing incessantly once my point is already been made and yours has as well because then it just becomes about me or you. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Markburn1
01-23-2017, 08:15 PM
I hate arguing incessantly once my point is already been made and yours has as well because then it just becomes about me or you. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Or admit you are wrong. Haha!!!

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-23-2017, 08:16 PM

But that's just the point: Few went back to JWIII after Tillie went down. So he not only didn't learn his lesson, but he doubled down on his bet!

Last year, when we basically had a 6-man rotation, it was the same story. Go watch the tape of some of our blowout wins. Domas was still in there.

Kyle Drainginis, for example, played 36 minutes in our WCC Tourney win vs. Portland last year. We won that game by 25. This has been a problem for a long time.

Section 116
01-23-2017, 08:21 PM
The latest on Tillie and Williams from Jim Meehan:
Tillie went down under Portland’s basket during a scrap for a rebound. He stayed on the court for a few minutes before needing help walking to the bench.

“Looks like a pretty bad ankle sprain,” coach Mark Few said.

In the next 30 seconds, forward Johnathan Williams was seen limping and he, too, subbed out of the game.

“I’m doing all right,” Williams said. “Just working with Josh (Therrien, athletic trainer) making sure I’m staying healthy, staying on top of my nutrition.”

Tillie’s ankle was puffy afterward. He hopped out of the shower on one leg.

“I got pushed and fell really badly on my ankle,” said Tillie, who added that he sprained the same ankle earlier this month.

Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/23/killian-tillies-injury-overshadows-gonzagas-win-at/

bballbeachbum
01-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Tillie had played 12 minutes...with the Zags up 20+ he's the guy who would get more minutes in the game at that point with 10 minutes to play or whatever it was, imo

great opportunity for others to step up now while he heals up. you never know when the opportunity might present itself, and then it does. we'll see

bballbeachbum
01-23-2017, 08:22 PM
The latest on Tillie and Williams from Jim Meehan:
Tillie went down under Portland’s basket during a scrap for a rebound. He stayed on the court for a few minutes before needing help walking to the bench.

“Looks like a pretty bad ankle sprain,” coach Mark Few said.

In the next 30 seconds, forward Johnathan Williams was seen limping and he, too, subbed out of the game.

“I’m doing all right,” Williams said. “Just working with Josh (Therrien, athletic trainer) making sure I’m staying healthy, staying on top of my nutrition.”

Tillie’s ankle was puffy afterward. He hopped out of the shower on one leg.

“I got pushed and fell really badly on my ankle,” said Tillie, who added that he sprained the same ankle earlier this month.

Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/23/killian-tillies-injury-overshadows-gonzagas-win-at/

thanks man

Zagdawg
01-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Rui/Jones opportunity to get some time on the court --may pay off in the long run by deepening the bench -- by the guys getting some extra minutes.

Zag_Dad
01-23-2017, 08:28 PM
But that's just the point: Few went back to JWIII after Tillie went down. So he not only didn't learn his lesson, but he doubled down on his bet!

Last year, when we basically had a 6-man rotation, it was the same story. Go watch the tape of some of our blowout wins. Domas was still in there.

Kyle Drainginis, for example, played 36 minutes in our WCC Tourney win vs. Portland last year. We won that game by 25. This has been a problem for a long time.

Have you ever watched Gonzaga lose a game in the second half where we had a huge lead? I have ... it sucks. You can't predict injuries and you can't play with the fear that someone might get injured.

The injuries tonight suck. Let's just st pray they're not as bad as some people are speculating.

20-0

GO ZAGS.

Idahozag10
01-23-2017, 08:30 PM
in Villanova's (the #1 ranked team in the country) last 30 point WIN look at the minutes their starters and "key guys" played.
they had seton hall blown out and kept their players in.
let the kids play and get chemistry with another. you will always risk injury no matter what you are doing.
and don't forget they won the national championship last year so i'm sure the coach knows what he is doing.
Mark Few is an amazing coach and we are lucky to have him.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/dec4c02d4cc359560bb3e191f3d4b095.png

from the ESPN app

Mantua
01-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Terrible night!

I hope Tillie, Williams, Perkins and Williams-Goss can all sleep through tomorrow and start healing.

I'm so angry that they had to play that game and in anguish for our players.

Zag_Dad
01-23-2017, 08:35 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/23/killian-tillies-injury-overshadows-gonzagas-win-at/

Good news .... bad news.

JW III doesn't sound bad. Tillie could be serious. Time will tell.

Pallet
01-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Rui/Jones opportunity to get some time on the court --may pay off in the long run by deepening the bench -- by the guys getting some extra minutes.

But they could get hurt out there!

Markburn1
01-23-2017, 08:41 PM
Terrible night!

I hope Tillie, Williams, Perkins and Williams-Goss can all sleep through tomorrow and start healing.

I'm so angry that they had to play that game and in anguish for our players.

Why would you be angry about playing a league game? It's part of the season. I'm sure the kids wanted to play. Injuries happen. If they hadn't played this game, the injuries could have happened Thursday just as easily.

ProVeeZag
01-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Exactly, Tillie got hurt, not exactly an unusual thing in college basketball, and his minutes will go to 1 or 2 others who will need some time to work into the flow. The other 7 in the rotation will need to pick up the slack until a new rotation is settled upon. Yes, we will likely lose some height advantage and leaping ability without Tillie. We will know a lot more about just where things stand after the San Diego and Pepp games. We aren't playing BYU tomorrow morning, there's time to make adjustments. We shouldn't need to talk people back off the ledge at this point.

jpn17
01-23-2017, 08:48 PM
I'm hoping for a speedy recovery, that said I love the depth on this team. RH and JJ won't be able to replicate what Tillie brings to the table, but I do think their athleticism will shake things up and give teams something else to consider, and right now what they do is something teams really can't game plan for as there is hardly any video on either of them.

spike_jr
01-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Spy - I hear you and feel your pain. I hated to see Tillie get hurt as I think we really need him when playing against elite competition. BUT, over the years, I have seen Few take the foot off of the gas way too early and the lead dwindle away. 10 minutes is an eternity in basketball and no coach in his right mind would put the end of his bench in with that much time left in the game - even with a 30 point lead. The injury was very unfortunate, to say the least. And as others have said, Tillie needs floor time. Remember, he has not played in competition all that much over the past 2 years due to injury. I know we all hope for a quick and total recovery.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Or admit you are wrong. Haha!!!

How can opinion be wrong? There's no way to definitively say who's opinion is right and who's is wrong. Your post was stupid.

thespywhozaggedme
01-23-2017, 09:02 PM
in Villanova's (the #1 ranked team in the country) last 30 point WIN look at the minutes their starters and "key guys" played.
they had seton hall blown out and kept their players in.
let the kids play and get chemistry with another. you will always risk injury no matter what you are doing.
and don't forget they won the national championship last year so i'm sure the coach knows what he is doing.
Mark Few is an amazing coach and we are lucky to have him.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170124/dec4c02d4cc359560bb3e191f3d4b095.png

from the ESPN app

They play in the big east we play in the West Coast conference. as is often the case context is lost on many posters.

ZagsGoZags
01-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Collins will play the 4 as well as 5 in the NBA. He and Karno would be a good Big foundation to work from, just like last year Sabonis and Wiltjer had to play heavy minutes. Without both of them we will see subs coming from Rui, Jeremy, Alberts and Ryan. Plus with Melson and Mathews in we can do the 4 guard thing sometimes, which Few likes to do at times. I hope JIII will be back soon, and wish a speedy recovery for Killian.
All sports teams have to put up with injuries, look at all the teams we have played and beat who had key players out with injuries.
If we were desperate in the Dance, how is Jacob Larson coming along?
keeping my fingers crossed ....

Francis The Goat Brother
01-23-2017, 09:07 PM
How can opinion be wrong? There's no way to definitively say who's opinion is right and who's is wrong. Your post was stupid.

That last sentence was uncalled for

SWZag
01-23-2017, 09:14 PM
They play in the big east we play in the West Coast conference. as is often the case context is lost on many posters.

The argument, though, was about having such a big lead. Villanova had a huge lead and the 8th guy off the bench had only 4 minutes.

dan71w
01-23-2017, 09:19 PM
This is just my opinion; Few did a superb job tonight. The team played great. Now, with these, injuries, i lay them blame on the refs, they allowed way too much aggression, and physical play, heck Portland was hanging on us so much, we are lucky to escape without more injury. when you let the game get too physical it just seams to me that injuries are more likely. I do understand the "let them play", because i do not like a lot of fouls in a game, but come-on at some point you have to reign in that style of play BEFORE someone gets hurt.

Reborn
01-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Injuries are a part of all sports. No one likes them, but certainly in this case there is nothing to get all worked up about. There are fans here who have had a tough year because there hasn't been anything to complain or whine about. This season, I am sure, must really be tough for them. They saw their chance tonight, EXPRESSING their anger at Few because as usual, they believe they know more than him. To me these fans are hilarious. Please don't give their negativity any space in your head. I feel bad for Tillie. He has a decent chance of playing some time in the future. To think Williams III is seriously injured is a joke. I doubt that he'll miss any time at all, just like NWG didn't miss any. WHEN IT COMES TO INJURIES LET THE DOCTORS, PHYSICAL THERAPISTS AND COACHES DECIDE WHAT TO DO. What can fans do? Stay positive, and keep believing that this is a special team.

gonstu
01-23-2017, 10:02 PM
zags' front court will be less deep, but those 14 mins (barring foul trouble) can easily be assumed by karno/collins/william and a 4th (rui?). If he doesn't get foul happy, Collins should be able to take half those minutes easily. A couple extra each for J!!! and then Mt K - and then it's only a few more minutes from someone else. The bigs are definitely used to the platoon system though and they'll have to get more comfortable playing with a different big partner down low - i'm guessing something they've done some in practice anyway.

hondo
01-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Well said Reborn. +1

seacatfan
01-23-2017, 10:06 PM
IF Tillie hadn't gotten injured and IF Few took all of his top 8 rotation guys off the floor w/ 10 minutes to go, I GUARANTEE some of these same posters would be complaining about why Collins and Tillie didn't get more PT. Just recently, I think it was against SCU, Collins was in during garbage time racking up points and several posters said he needed the minutes rather than letting Edwards get a little bit of run. Can't have it both ways folks.

Idahozag10
01-23-2017, 10:11 PM

a 30 point blowout win is a 30 point blowout win... same thing.

sittingon50
01-23-2017, 11:06 PM
This is just my opinion; Few did a superb job tonight. The team played great. Now, with these, injuries, i lay them blame on the refs, they allowed way too much aggression, and physical play, heck Portland was hanging on us so much, we are lucky to escape without more injury. when you let the game get too physical it just seams to me that injuries are more likely. I do understand the "let them play", because i do not like a lot of fouls in a game, but come-on at some point you have to reign in that style of play BEFORE someone gets hurt.

You blame the refs because Tillie went up for a rebound & when he came down someones foot was already there?

Holy Toledo!

maynard g krebs
01-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Monday's one of my nights to play, so I left at halftime, just got home and watched the second half on tape.

Then I looked at this thread and thought I'd stumbled into the twilight zone. Unbelievable. Tillie plays 14 minutes a game. If he'd played 38 minutes and the injury was attributable to fatigue, there would be something to discuss. Feet get tangled up and ankles get turned playing basketball. It can happen any time. I'd bet that overall, there are more injuries in practice than in games. Simply because players spend more time practicing.

Agree with LIZF and CDC. Players need to play. Tillie's injury is one of those things that can't be controlled.

Zagger
01-24-2017, 03:27 AM
Go to http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/23/killian-tillies-injury-overshadows-gonzagas-win-at/
And put some 'get well soons' in the comment section. Show KT some Spokane love :)
Go Zags!

Birddog
01-24-2017, 03:45 AM
It's time to get some perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

OntZags
01-24-2017, 03:45 AM
I'm out on this one. In my 18 years of posting on Gonzaga basketball boards, the criticism that Few is receiving in this thread is the most incomprehensible criticism that I have ever come across. Ever. He's the 4th big man in the rotation. The 4th.

Don't particularly feel like delving too deep into this but you have perfectly enunciated my thoughts on the matter. There is a lot of knee-jerk reactionary hyperbole flying in this thread and I can almost guarantee none of them were yelling at their tv's for Tillie to come out of the game before he went up for that board. He's a freshmen, the fourth big and he needs minutes. Period.

jazzdelmar
01-24-2017, 03:59 AM
Don't particularly feel like delving too deep into this but you have perfectly enunciated my thoughts on the matter. There is a lot of knee-jerk reactionary hyperbole flying in this thread and I can almost guarantee none of them were yelling at their tv's for Tillie to come out of the game before he went up for that board. He's a freshmen, the fourth big and he needs minutes. Period.

I think the more responsible critiques were that after Tils got hurt Few replaced him with a starter who then proceeded to get hurt. As well, several starters remained in until about the 5 minute mark, iirc. Tils injury isn't the focus of the preponderance of, um, the questioning of the coach. If you wish, read the game thread to see more clearly how all this played out.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2017, 04:52 AM
Yeah.

On Saturday, at the 10:00 mark of the second half, the Zags were up by only 10.

Their win projection? Greater than 99%. And that's up by only 10! Up by 30, you're 99.99999999999999999% to win.

Sit the top 8.

Is that assuming starters are in, or 3rd stringers?

gozagswoohoo
01-24-2017, 05:07 AM

This.

And while I know we were up big at that point, there was still like 9-10 min left in the half. If it was like 90 seconds or something, okay, maybe they need to for sure be out...

Zagsker
01-24-2017, 05:40 AM
a 30 point blowout win is a 30 point blowout win... same thing.

Everyone knows that a 30 point win in the BE, is like a 50 point win in the WCC...ask Spy, he will educate you

Bogozags
01-24-2017, 06:17 AM
Everyone knows that a 30 point win in the BE, is like a 50 point win in the WCC...ask Spy, he will educate you

With all these "shots" being fired, this maybe the beginning of the War of 2017...

Reborn
01-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Tillie really needs playing time. and that is why he was on the court playing. As has been pointed out by several people some players need more in-game playing time. I think everyone loves him, and really likes how he plays. IF he can't play we will miss him.

Basketball at the D-1 level is a very rough and tough game. IF you have not played at that level you can't really know how rough it is. I think many of you played in high school, and just imagine playing at a level where it's ten times as tough. I never played with injuries in high school basketball. Football? YEAH. When I played at Gonzaga, from mid-season on, I played injured to some degree. So most all of the players on the Zags are playing with injuries. Some worse than others. As a player at that level I know Tillie wants to be playing as much as the coach let's him, and it's the same thing for NWG, j, Williams, Perkins, Collins, or any player really. I watch a lot of basketball because I love the college game, and no coach begins to pull players with 10 min left in the game for obvious reasons. If there is a substantial lead the starters will begin to come out with about 5, or 4, or 3 minutes left depending on who the team is playing. Few s NOT doing anything unusual. OK?

I really doubt that Tillue's injury will affect the Zags at all, There are just so many options that Few has, including playing Edwards.

Markburn1
01-24-2017, 07:10 AM

Some people are still of the opinion that the earth is flat. They would be wrong.

sittingon50
01-24-2017, 07:48 AM
It's time to get some perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Was actually thinking of linking the exact thing last night, Bird.

:roll:

zagamatic
01-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Given the fact that Portland is poorly equipped to handle winter weather, it's just as likely that Tillie or anyone else "could have" turned an ankle getting to or leaving the game had it been played on its original date. I also agree that he would have been in the game at that point by the reasoning of ANY coach in the country.
Injuries happen, even at desk jobs. These are high level athletes pushing the limits. So why is anyone getting so bent out of shape about something that happens to every team every season?
I've sprained my ankle the exact same way enough times that I can now lay my ankle on the floor while standing and it barely hurts.
Obviously, I hope that it's a case of looks worse than it is and he's back in the rotation soon. But, if an injury HAD TO HAPPEN, wouldn't you rather it be at a time during the season when the schedule allows for adjustment to the rotation with a bigger margin of error than when you're playing the games that are hard to win at full strength?

CarolinaZagFan
01-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Many of the same people complaining about key players being in a 30 point game with 10 minutes left are the same ones that we're complaining about ONLY beating Portland by 21 Saturday. ### meet kettle.

DixieZag
01-24-2017, 08:16 AM

This. At 10:00 the other team is still playing full throttle (or close), those are really good minutes. I'd argue that about the 5:00 - that's the time to get Rui, Alberts and Jones their minutes, in case a couple go down - and that's pretty much what Few does. As a D-1 coach with 0 wins, I might put the bench guys in a little earlier than Few (who often waits till the 4:00 (now we're sort of splitting atoms), but 5:30 or 5:00 seems perfect.

10:00 left? Gotta have the frosh guys getting real minutes, agree.

DixieZag
01-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Well doctors, how long do bad high ankle sprains take to heal? I suppose if there is anything positive to take from the injury is that it is January 23. Be thankful this injury didn't take place during the WCC tourney or something.

Obviously not a doctor, but I have had the exact same injury which occurred in the exact same manner, coming down on someone else's shoe and rolled the ankle. Meehan called the ankle "puffy" (blood under skin), mine looked like it had a tennis ball under the skin (not exaggerating).

Mine was 3rd degree. I can say for a fact that I couldn't have been ready in 3 months time. But, I didn't have the discipline/will-power or the access to daily therapy with elite PTs and trainers that Tillie will have, nor do we know just how badly he rolled his.

The scarier comment in that little blurb was that he said it was the same one he rolled a month ago, because that's the really vicious part of the injury. Each one can weaken the ligaments and lead to another injury in scenarios when the ankle doesn't roll as far. Mine occurred on a Thanksgiving, by April, I was walking to an intramural softball game I walked over a sidewalk wrong and was back to tape/brace for another month. It's an awful injury.

I hope his isn't nearly as severe and I hope that some of the MDs, PTs and trainers here can correct, refine and/or add to my answer.

Bogozags
01-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Dixie I believe the fluid isn't blood but fluid from the Bursa Sac...not only have I slept in a Holiday Inn Express but also passed A&P...:D

cjm720
01-24-2017, 08:44 AM
Bummer but good thing we have an all-American freshman...Collins will shine and take most of the minutes.

DixieZag
01-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Dixie I believe the fluid isn't blood but fluid from the Bursa Sac...not only have I slept in a Holiday Inn Express but also passed A&P...:D

You may be right. I was told it was blood. But, I was in Idaho. :)

Maybe mix of both.

I do know that 2 days later my whole foot was blue (like a bruise) and was told that was the blood settling.

Doesn't matter. I want to hear from someone who treats these injuries. Gotta be people out there, join in even if new, help us out.

TexasZagFan
01-24-2017, 09:18 AM
This. At 10:00 the other team is still playing full throttle (or close), those are really good minutes. I'd argue that about the 5:00 - that's the time to get Rui, Alberts and Jones their minutes, in case a couple go down - and that's pretty much what Few does. As a D-1 coach with 0 wins, I might put the bench guys in a little earlier than Few (who often waits till the 4:00 (now we're sort of splitting atoms), but 5:30 or 5:00 seems perfect.

10:00 left? Gotta have the frosh guys getting real minutes, agree.

I also have zero wins at the D-1 level. However, for the past 30 years, I've had the chance to closely observe two well coached teams: UTEP with Don Haskins, and Gonzaga with Mark Few. The styles of the two could not be more different, but both coaches are/were blessed with the ability to get the most out of their players, and adapt their style of play to their current roster.

I have seen nothing that Few should be criticized for when it comes to player rotations. Both Tillie and Collins should be in games until the end of blowouts, because they're both freshman and they need the time on the court.

You certainly can't hide Zach Collins from NBA scouts by putting him on the bench when we're up by 30...that ship has sailed.

IMHO, we've come to the point where "we're all in", i.e. Final Four or nothing. What that means in player rotation is simple, at least in my aged mind: you don't mess with the 8 man rotation in place for the first 32 minutes (barring serious foul trouble or injuries). When possible, get Rui meaningful minutes. IMO, he's perfect for breaking the press. Not only does he have the size as a target for the second pass against the press, he's got the ability to take his man one on one to the frontcourt.

Furthermore, I don't necessarily have a problem with our front 8 on the court until the final TV time out. In numerous games, we've absolutely destroyed our opponents during the last 12 to 16 minutes of the second half. That's part of our identity, similar to an anaconda that squeezes the life out of its prey. The minutes distributed among the first eight in our rotation do not indicate excessive minutes on the court, unlike previous years.

Just my $.02.

thespywhozaggedme
01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Some people are still of the opinion that the earth is flat. They would be wrong.

Because it's provable. You can't "prove" if it's better to rest your starters when your up by 30 with 10 minutes left and give the other guys more minutes or not. I shouldn't have said that your post was stupid, it was just my reaction to your smug condescension; my apologies.

kitzbuel
01-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Many of the same people complaining about key players being in a 30 point game with 10 minutes left are the same ones that we're complaining about ONLY beating Portland by 21 Saturday. ### meet kettle.
Beat me to it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

soccerdud
01-24-2017, 10:12 AM
smug condescension

lol @spy for complaining about another poster's "smug condescension". and lol @ me for lol'ing @ him for complaining about that. buncha hypocrites we are.

but seriously that's pretty hilarious.

DixieZag
01-24-2017, 10:21 AM
I also have zero wins at the D-1 level. However, for the past 30 years, I've had the chance to closely observe two well coached teams: UTEP with Don Haskins, and Gonzaga with Mark Few. The styles of the two could not be more different, but both coaches are/were blessed with the ability to get the most out of their players, and adapt their style of play to their current roster.

I have seen nothing that Few should be criticized for when it comes to player rotations. Both Tillie and Collins should be in games until the end of blowouts, because they're both freshman and they need the time on the court.

You certainly can't hide Zach Collins from NBA scouts by putting him on the bench when we're up by 30...that ship has sailed.

IMHO, we've come to the point where "we're all in", i.e. Final Four or nothing. What that means in player rotation is simple, at least in my aged mind: you don't mess with the 8 man rotation in place for the first 32 minutes (barring serious foul trouble or injuries). When possible, get Rui meaningful minutes. IMO, he's perfect for breaking the press. Not only does he have the size as a target for the second pass against the press, he's got the ability to take his man one on one to the frontcourt.

Furthermore, I don't necessarily have a problem with our front 8 on the court until the final TV time out. In numerous games, we've absolutely destroyed our opponents during the last 12 to 16 minutes of the second half. That's part of our identity, similar to an anaconda that squeezes the life out of its prey. The minutes distributed among the first eight in our rotation do not indicate excessive minutes on the court, unlike previous years.

Just my $.02.

I don't know where the "hide" comes from, that didn't enter my mind for a moment. My point about the 5:00 mark was much more geared to getting in guys that also need a little exposure under the lights in case we have a game or week where we have 2 or more guys go down and suddenly those ones at the end of the bench also need a little bit of experience, speaking of Rui, Jones, Alberts, for example. I think there's merit to getting guys 9-11 on the court for a little time, also.

TexasZagFan
01-24-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't know where the "hide" comes from, that didn't enter my mind for a moment. My point about the 5:00 mark was much more geared to getting in guys that also need a little exposure under the lights in case we have a game or week where we have 2 or more guys go down and suddenly those ones at the end of the bench also need a little bit of experience, speaking of Rui, Jones, Alberts, for example. I think there's merit to getting guys 9-11 on the court for a little time, also.

As to "hiding", it was simply from a personal desire to see Zach return next year. A bit O/T, but from what I'm hearing about the new NBA collective bargaining agreement, young talent like Zach is more valuable under the new system vs. what we've seen in the NBA the past several years. The more insiders evaluate how NBA teams will likely respond to the new CBA, the further Zach moves up on the 2017 draft charts.

The minutes after the last TV timeout in a rout are when we'll see 9-11, IMO.

SWZag
01-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Anyone have a status update on Tillie? JWIII?

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Maybe mix of both.

I do know that 2 days later my whole foot was blue (like a bruise) and was told that was the blood settling.

Doesn't matter. I want to hear from someone who treats these injuries. Gotta be people out there, join in even if new, help us out.

That was blood, Dixie. A bursa fills with fluid and can be painful, but the fluid isn't colored much (clear to yellowish).

Zaga
01-24-2017, 12:08 PM

Inference?

ProVeeZag
01-24-2017, 12:26 PM

Maybe mix of both.

Before "someone who treats these injuries" wades into our little kiddie pool here, they may want to make sure their malpractice premiums are paid up! Brutal crowd at times...

I would wager to say we will know so much more about where everything stands (seriousness of injury, capabilities of the team to plug the hole vacated by Tillie, etc) following Saturday's game vs Pepperdine. Until then, my sword stays in its sheath.

allbusiness_zag
01-24-2017, 12:36 PM
This message board in general is getting so difficult to come back to. I've never seen our group so irritable and aggressive toward each other.

Hoping there will be an update from the program on Tillie sometime soon so I don't have to read any more of this riveting back and forth. :starwars:

seacatfan
01-24-2017, 12:43 PM
This message board in general is getting so difficult to come back to. I've never seen our group so irritable and aggressive toward each other.

Last year was pretty rough on this board, but it was a trying season for the Zags (til the nice flurry at the end). This year has been smooth sailing. The injuries last night are the first adversity the the team has faced this season and some fans went way overboard in their reaction to it. Disappointing. Anyway life on this board has been way better this year compared to last year, with the exception of last night.

titopoet
01-24-2017, 12:54 PM

Hoping there will be an update from the program on Tillie sometime soon so I don't have to read any more of this riveting back and forth. :starwars:

And the Zags stand with an unblemished record with two thirds of the regular season in the books. These are the good times of milk and honey... time to take a cue from the team we love and shelve the egos. (I, of course, include myself).

U Zig, I Zag
01-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Yah. Not so sure what all this is about. They came to play. They may get hurt. I hope both are back on the floor soon.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Last year was pretty rough on this board, but it was a trying season for the Zags (til the nice flurry at the end). This year has been smooth sailing. The injuries last night are the first adversity the the team has faced this season and some fans went way overboard in their reaction to it. Disappointing. Anyway life on this board has been way better this year compared to last year, with the exception of last night.

I think it might be misplaced angst- like kicking the dog when the boss is a jerk to you. It's not an excuse for people but it helps me give people some grace that I wouldn't normally be inclined to give. People are seeing possibly the best season and team ever go up in flames. This is a storm that the team will weather. I hope the fans can, too.

Depth is the Zags' strength, but potentially losing two guys at the same spot is tough. I blame all the people who wondered why Edwards and Rui do t get more minutes. Be careful what you wish for, people :)

I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tillie isn't back until March, and isn't himself when he returns... Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

ProVeeZag
01-24-2017, 02:18 PM
I think it might be misplaced angst- like kicking the dog when the boss is a jerk to you. It's not an excuse for people but it helps me give people some grace that I wouldn't normally be inclined to give. People are seeing possibly the best season and team ever go up in flames. This is a storm that the team will weather. I hope the fans can, too.

Depth is the Zags' strength, but potentially losing two guys at the same spot is tough. I blame all the people who wondered why Edwards and Rui do t get more minutes. Be careful what you wish for, people :)

I personally wouldn't be surprised if Tillie isn't back until March, and isn't himself when he returns... Preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Zags are still unbeaten when he returns.

Reborn
01-24-2017, 02:32 PM
Why are people considering J Williams injured. Because he limped off the court? He took himself out, imp, because he DIDN'T want to get hurt.

zag67
01-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Thanks Reborn. I agree. And yes we all hope that BOTH of them will be back soon. But mainly when they are physically able.

Birddog
01-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Was actually thinking of linking the exact thing last night, Bird.

:roll:

Genius, PFG!!!

Section 116
01-24-2017, 03:37 PM
Off topic here but BYU fans (is that what they are called) are holding their breath over this: As for Emery, who suffered the left knee injury in the second half of Saturday's 62-47 win over Pacific after scoring eight points in a 90-second span, a BYU basketball spokesperson said the team will "most likely wait until media tomorrow [Tuesday] for an update" on the sophomore's condition. I haven't found an update yet but there may be some info on a BYU message board.

Link: http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/4854126-155/byu-basketball-mika-is-wcc-player

ProVeeZag
01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Off topic here but BYU fans (is that what they are called) are holding their breath over this: As for Emery, who suffered the left knee injury in the second half of Saturday's 62-47 win over Pacific after scoring eight points in a 90-second span, a BYU basketball spokesperson said the team will "most likely wait until media tomorrow [Tuesday] for an update" on the sophomore's condition. I haven't found an update yet but there may be some info on a BYU message board.

Link: http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/4854126-155/byu-basketball-mika-is-wcc-player

Here's a brief quote of interest from that linked article discussing candidates for WCC POY:
"Mika is the Cougars' best player and could not be replaced. The sophomore is averaging 20.4 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and making a strong case to be named WCC Player of the Year.

There's tough competition, though, with Jock Landale of Saint Mary's and a plethora of Gonzaga players also in the running, most notably Washington transfer Nigel Williams-Goss. He's averaging 15 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.7 steals per game and was added to the Oscar Robertson Trophy midseason list."

The Robertson Trophy goes to the national player of the year.

raise the zag
01-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Often times, no news is good news.

And often times, no news means they are awaiting to get a2nd opinion if the first news wasnt what they wanted to hear...

RenoZag
01-24-2017, 07:55 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865671785/BYU-hopeful-that-injured-Emery-will-be-ready-to-play-Thursday-at-Santa-Clara.html

PROVO — Early in the second half of BYU’s 62-47 victory over Pacific last Saturday, guard Nick Emery suffered an injury to his left knee. Coach Dave Rose said Emery’s status is “day-to-day” heading into Thursday’s game at Santa Clara.

“Nick’s got a contusion on his knee. Other than that, it’s stable, just pretty sore,” Rose said after Tuesday’s practice. “He got on the floor (Tuesday), which was good. … It’s improved a little bit. We’ll see how he feels tomorrow. I think he would be considered kind of day-to-day. I do know one thing — I’ve been around Nick a long time, and he wants to play. If he can, he will. But we’ll see.”

The last time BYU played Santa Clara, in Provo on Dec. 29 in the West Coast Conference opener for both teams, Emery scored only seven points but expended most of his energy guarding Bronco star Jared Brownridge. Emery held Brownridge, who averages 18.5 points per game, to eight points on 2 of 8 shooting from the floor. The Cougars won, 89-59.

BYU might have to adjust its defensive approach due to Emery’s injury.

“We had Nick primarily on him the whole time,” Rose said. “Nick will get his share but last time Elijah (Bryant) wasn’t playing for us. We might use a few more guys. Nick was almost totally dedicated to him. With Nick’s situation, I think that’s what we have to plan for.”

ZagMan in Philly
01-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Coach will have Rui ready to fill in and produce big time.
We will not miss a beat until Tille is back.

Zag_Dad
01-25-2017, 07:09 AM
Coach will have Rui ready to fill in and produce big time.
We will not miss a beat until Tille is back.

I'm confident Zags will survive a few games without Tillie (if that ends up being the case)... however, I wouldn't put us in the "won't miss a beat" category. Tillie is an exceptional athlete and his game is way ahead of Rui's at this point (based on what we've seen so far of Rui). I'm not overly concerned about beating San Diego and Pepperdine without Tillie but BYU on the road is another story.

Let's pray that Tillie is okay and at most will miss a couple games with a sore ankle.

GO ZAGS 20-0

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-25-2017, 07:23 AM
I'm confident Zags will survive a few games without Tillie (if that ends up being the case)... however, I wouldn't put us in the "won't miss a beat" category. Tillie is an exceptional athlete and his game is way ahead of Rui's at this point (based on what we've seen so far of Rui). I'm not overly concerned about beating San Diego and Pepperdine without Tillie but BYU on the road is another story.

Let's pray that Tillie is okay and at most will miss a couple games with a sore ankle.

GO ZAGS 20-0

It seems like "a few games" is awfully optimistic. Ankle sprains are often worse than breaks. There's a chance he's out until mid-March, if not early April.

Zag_Dad
01-25-2017, 07:28 AM
It seems like "a few games" is awfully optimistic. Ankle sprains are often worse than breaks. There's a chance he's out until mid-March, if not early April.

You're probably right on that but I am trying to be optimistic. It does feel like there isn't much middle ground between an ankle injury that he could play through with proper support and wrap vs. a "high ankle sprain" or something of that nature that would sideline him for weeks.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see. My guess is we'll here something tomorrow morning. HIPPA regulations make it difficult for coaches to comment on the status of a players medical condition.

Gonzdb8
01-25-2017, 08:22 AM

and there is also a chance he's back much sooner. i'm gonna focus on that for now until i hear different.

ZagsGoZags
01-26-2017, 09:34 AM
is there any new info on Tillie's status?

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 10:15 AM

It's a safe bet Tillie is out at least 6 weeks at best, but possibly the season. That's the nature of a high ankle sprain. Like glorious said, as bad, if not worse than a break, and recovery can be with limited mobility long term. Anyone saying otherwise is without experience with sprains.

It's JW that we should be hoping doesn't miss a game. We can do OK with PK, Collins, and JW in rotation for the 4 and 5, but we would be think if it was just PK and Collins

btzag
01-26-2017, 10:32 AM

There is no new official report yet.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 10:38 AM
There will be no official news. I have been told GU is likely to not put out a press release regarding Tillie's condition because the injury he has is "fluid." Perhaps Heister and Co. (as well as Hudson) will provide some news tonight.

I still think no news is good news. Not in the sense that he will play tonight, but that the severity of the sprain is not likely to end his season or whatever.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 10:42 AM
BTW - Nick Emery just has a knee bruise. Day to day. Might play against SCU:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865671785/BYU-hopeful-that-injured-Emery-will-be-ready-to-play-Thursday-at-Santa-Clara.html

Hoopaholic
01-26-2017, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=CDC84;1275125]There will be no official news. I have been told GU is likely to not put out a press release regarding Tillie's condition because the injury he has is "fluid." Perhaps Heister and Co. (as well as Hudson) will provide some news tonight.

I still think no news is good news. Not in the sense that he will play tonight, but that the severity of the sprain is not likely to end his season or whatever.[/QUOTE

I think the vast majority of us will be able to come to a logical conclusion based upon what we see tonight.

if he is not present...we have a serious issue
If he is present and gingerly walking without any aids then potential return on horizon
If he is present but in boot or needs crutches probably not good for rest of regular season

But I aint no doctor just a keyboard warrior who love our zags and wants whats best for Tille who we need for a deep run in the tournament

Goshzagit
01-26-2017, 10:52 AM
There will be no official news. I have been told GU is likely to not put out a press release regarding Tillie's condition because the injury he has is "fluid." Perhaps Heister and Co. (as well as Hudson) will provide some news tonight.

I still think no news is good news. Not in the sense that he will play tonight, but that the severity of the sprain is not likely to end his season or whatever.

Thanks CDC, hope this is the case. I'm with ya.

No news is generally one or the other, but we will see...Tillie may be on his 3rd Doctor appt & awaiting a specialist, or just seeing our trainer & resting. Who knows.

Zags have trademarked the way they report injuries....unlike any other team.

Not good or bad, or agree or disagree, but their method is very Belichick & Patriots-esque.

(Just happy we arent misusing & misinterpreting HIPAA definition and guidelines this season)

zagbeliever
01-26-2017, 10:52 AM
They won't announce until game time in order to give less prep time to SD We were focused on Wintering in our PDX prep and were so sloppy not having planned for Jazz. Next game was a different story. Coach will keep info close to chest until game time is my guess

CDC84
01-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Zags have trademarked the way they report injuries....unlike any other team.

I know. Very tight-lipped.

There's probably a lot of truth in what Hoopaholic said. When I saw that Karnowski couldn't even sit on the bench due to his discomfort I knew there was trouble.

Gonzdb8
01-26-2017, 11:37 AM
I have no "insider" info on this as i'm certainly not an insider, but i did see him in College Hall this morning. Walking with a boot, but no crutches. No idea at all what that means but i'm assuming no crutches is a good thing!

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 11:42 AM
I have no "insider" info on this as i'm certainly not an insider, but i did see him in College Hall this morning. Walking with a boot, but no crutches. No idea at all what that means but i'm assuming no crutches is a good thing!

This is consistent with a high ankle sprain, minimum 6 weeks.

CDC84
01-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Which would be right around the start of the WCC tourney

soccerdud
01-26-2017, 12:01 PM
This is consistent with a high ankle sprain, minimum 6 weeks.

it's also consistent with a normal ankle sprain, grade II or worse.

senior year of high school i was selected to be on a team (soccer) that got to go to england and play in a tournament against high school teams there. was crazy excited because it was my first trip out of the country. 2 weeks before we were to leave i came down on a ball and bent my ankle almost exactly like tillie did. was diagnosed with a bad type-II and was in a walking boot and getting a little PT (electro-stimulation, stretching, and such) for those two weeks. i was able to play in the tournament, albeit with some discomfort, with lots of ibuprofen and tape-- tho i certainly wasn't as mobile as usual. i was pretty close to normal by 4 weeks.

that was just a small town kid, with an hour here and there with a therapist. he's a high-level athlete with a great medical team and support. the walking boot means next to nothing. i am not sure you're wrong. but i am sure that the facts available don't justify the certitude of the pronouncements you are making, either in terms of diagnosis or prognosis.

seacatfan
01-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Players getting a walking boot for a number of injuries seems to me. Sometimes just precautionary rather than an indicator of severity of injury. People keep throwing around high ankle sprain like that's a given what happened, but I really don't think we know that at this point.

former1dog
01-26-2017, 12:15 PM

senior year of high school i was selected to be on a team (soccer) that got to go to england and play in a tournament against high school teams there. was crazy excited because it was my first trip out of the country. 2 weeks before we were to leave i came down on a ball and bent my ankle almost exactly like tillie did. was diagnosed with a bad type-II and was in a walking boot and getting a little PT (electro-stimulation, stretching, and such) for those two weeks. i was able to play in the tournament, albeit with some discomfort, with lots of ibuprofen and tape-- tho i certainly wasn't as mobile as usual. i was pretty close to normal by 4 weeks.

that was just a small town kid, with an hour here and there with a therapist. he's a high-level athlete with a great medical team and support. the walking boot means next to nothing. i am not sure you're wrong. but i am sure that the facts available don't justify the certitude of the pronouncements you are making, either in terms of diagnosis or prognosis.

+1

QFT

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 12:23 PM

I will back up my comments and their certitude. Friendly wager? Rainier tallboy -6 weeks from the date of the injury before he subs back into regulation. Deal?

Markburn1
01-26-2017, 12:30 PM
I will back up my comments and their certitude. Friendly wager? Rainier tallboy -6 weeks from the date of the injury before he subs back into regulation. Deal?

No clue why you think it's a good idea to wager on a kid's health.

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 12:40 PM
No clue why you think it's a good idea to wager on a kid's health.

I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong and pay out on that bet, but my wager has absolutely no impact on his recovery. Tillie and his ankle have no idea I, or this board, exist.

tinfoilzag
01-26-2017, 12:42 PM
Anecdotal info here: I've broke both ankles playing basketball in HS (once as a freshman, the other a junior). Coming down on other peoples' feet was the culprit.

This was over twenty years ago so treatment may of changed but they never allowed me a boot or walking cast with my fractured fibula(s).

As an aside - Sprains always hurt more than breaks but breaks freak you out more. To this day, anytime I feel my ankle start to roll, I instinctively collapse to take all weight off of it. I take some spills down stairs and off curbs but my body prefers that over a sprain/break.

Bing
01-26-2017, 12:57 PM
I would be ecstatic to be proven wrong and pay out on that bet, but my wager has absolutely no impact on his recovery. Tillie and his ankle have no idea I, or this board, exist.

You are correct. Your wager has absolutely no impact on his recovery.

It's just that it's classless and in poor taste.

Markburn1
01-26-2017, 12:57 PM

The players know this board exists and so do their parents.

soccerdud
01-26-2017, 01:00 PM

i have no interest in betting. i have no idea what his actual injury is, or when he'll be back. i made no predictions. and, as i said, i was not even claiming you're wrong. i simply gave an example of a situation where the same indicators were caused by a different injury/timeline than the ones you are so enthusiastically espousing, in the hopes of making you think (or maybe even say): "i'm speculating; i could be wrong". you can double down with misplaced machismo if you like, but you'll have to find someone else to take your bet. you're right that it affects nothing, but i agree with markburn and bing-- it strikes me as in incredibly poor taste.

sittingon50
01-26-2017, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ83r886Kyg

Mr Vulture
01-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Contrary to the "expert" above...you can have a high ankle sprain and be back in as little as 3 weeks or as long as 8 weeks. When I was in the military, I rolled my ankle to the ground playing basketball. Severe ankle sprain to the level of no ability to put weight on it, unstable, swollen the size of a baseball. I was in a walking boot for two weeks, about a week with a wrap/splint, and was running PT full speed by week four. I have to believe that with the medical attention he gets that it could be similar for him. Maybe it will take the higher end to recover but to state six weeks or more as fact is not accurate.

NOTE: Those of you berating the guy for saying he'd bet you on the recovery period should maybe relax a little. This board is sometimes almost unreadable with the attacks on people and to blow his comment out of proportion seems overkill.

ZenZag
01-26-2017, 03:17 PM
This board is sometimes almost unreadable with the attacks on people......

Replace "sometimes almost" with "often completely".

zagdontzig
01-26-2017, 03:55 PM
You are correct. Your wager has absolutely no impact on his recovery.

It's just that it's classless and in poor taste.

The players know this board exists and so do their parents.

i have no interest in betting. i have no idea what his actual injury is, or when he'll be back. i made no predictions. and, as i said, i was not even claiming you're wrong. i simply gave an example of a situation where the same indicators were caused by a different injury/timeline than the ones you are so enthusiastically espousing, in the hopes of making you think (or maybe even say): "i'm speculating; i could be wrong". you can double down with misplaced machismo if you like, but you'll have to find someone else to take your bet. you're right that it affects nothing, but i agree with markburn and bing-- it strikes me as in incredibly poor taste.

It's only classless if you presumed I was hoping for the over. It's clear I want to pay out that beer and celebrate his quick recovery. Y'all took beer bet and made it the worst thing possible. It seems unfair to call me classless over a beer wager, then when one of your own familiars attack the kids wholesale, he's passed off as a board curmudgeon. I was the only one to come to the kids' defense. Short memories with a dash of hypocrisy.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58697-Any-Word-on-Perkins&p=1270332#post1270332

And despite this board's emotional outpourings of sonnets and declarations to the players, the reality is the players are studying, practicing, eating, and partying, and not caring at all about our analysis and feelings. Aside from occasional inside knowledge or twitter aggregation, the board is important to only us. Give up trying to make the board more than it is.

CdAZagFan
01-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Am at the game and Tillie is on sideline in sweats... walking with a little limp but looks pretty upbeat - not participating in warmups but under basket watching

U Zig, I Zag
01-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Am at the game and Tillie is on sideline in sweats... walking with a little limp but looks pretty upbeat - not participating in warmups but under basket watching

Good enough for me. Thanks. As for this thread?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8vy1cuEm91qzqdem.gif

Zagceo
01-26-2017, 04:59 PM
Few said bad sprain......Tillie tough kid.......treatment and wait and see.

Pre game radio with Huddy

gonstu
01-26-2017, 05:00 PM

Boot? Crutches?

Zags11
01-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Another Locked thread. Another 2 star rating. And I wonder why the traffic here is dead with a 20-0 record..lol.

ProVeeZag
01-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Why are people considering J Williams injured. Because he limped off the court? He took himself out, imp, because he DIDN'T want to get hurt.

Revisiting this post following end of San Diego game. J Williams currently running close 2nd to NWG as GUnit of the game; amazing recuperative powers in a 72 hour span, no?

CdAZagFan
01-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Boot? Crutches?

No boot or crutches - was walking up and down bench and under warmup basket with slight limp during pregame, went in and out of tunnel for pregame and halftime, was under basket again for halftime warmups. Looked upbeat the whole time. He was in sweats - at first I thought he had uniform on underneath, but don't think he did. Just assumed he would be in street clothes. Hope that means a quick recovery!

Zagger
01-27-2017, 04:16 AM
Another Locked thread. Another 2 star rating. And I wonder why the traffic here is dead with a 20-0 record..lol.
Feeling comparable ..... it's getting tiresome to go through some threads in order to prepare a comment that furthers the topic which was posted and/or learn more about it. Oh well! Hope Tillie has a solid recovery and can get back in games soon (2-3 weeks).

TexasZagFan
01-27-2017, 04:54 AM

Blame it on me...I've got broad shoulders, and I'm guilty of hijacking threads for no discernible reason.

No one ever visits me at my cubicle, either. They're afraid I'm going to regale them with tales of the latest Zags victory.

GrizZAG
01-27-2017, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=TexasZagFan;
No one ever visits me at my cubicle, either. They're afraid I'm going to regale them with tales of the latest Zags victory.[/QUOTE]

You have described the State of the Art Zag fannatic perfectly! I annoy people with glee talking up the Zags everywhere I go and have actually created some new fans that didn't even know who they were prior in California. You know you got em when they bring up the most recent game in detail before you do :cheers:

former1dog
01-27-2017, 06:43 AM
Heister said "day to day" for Tillie during the game last night.

RenoZag
01-27-2017, 07:11 AM
This morning's S - R included this re: Tillie:

Gonzaga freshman forward Killian Tillie watched from the bench with the sprained ankle he suffered against Portland on Monday.

Tillie has been wearing a boot to assist the healing process, but he was limping noticeably as he walked toward the locker room.

“He’s got a pretty good ankle sprain,” Few said. “He’s responding to treatment pretty good. We’ll see what happens.”

Minus Tillie, the Zags went with a three-man frontcourt rotation in the first half with Przemek Karnowski, Johnathan Williams and Zach Collins. The trio combined for 16 points, 14 rebounds and five assists as GU opened up a 37-23 lead.

Rui Hachimura, Jeremy Jones and Ryan Edwards saw time in the second half after the Zags opened up a big lead.

jazzdelmar
01-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Heister said "day to day" for Tillie during the game last night.

Hardly a reliable source.

former1dog
01-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Hardly a reliable source.

While I think Heister is better suited covering fishing and monster truck rallies, he is an insider with as good an access to the program as anyone that isn't a coach or player. If anyone would know the straight scoop on a player it would be Heister.

TravelinZag
01-27-2017, 09:05 AM
Need Tillie for the final run; don't rush recovery. NC or FF much, much more important than staying undefeated through regular season and conference tourney. Don't know these young men, but losing the WCC final could be a boost for the NCAAs, depending on their response. Wake-up call, removal of an extraneous pressure and return of the chip on their shoulders, or shattered confidence? Think I know how these gents would respond, but few or none of us know for certain. Single loss at that point would not jeopardize a number one seed.

Lovin' the ride! Thanks, guys!!

ZagsGoZags
01-29-2017, 08:17 AM
what we saw was Tillie not wearing a boot, or using crutches last night.
this alone is good news,
he also seemed to walk fine without visible limping or favoring one foot.
This is all better than most of the alternatives we could have seen on Jan 28, Pepp. game,
so at least there seems to be some forward movement ...
has anyone heard anything else about Tillie?,
the broadcasters gave no useful info about him.

Birddog
01-29-2017, 08:30 AM
the broadcasters gave no useful info
There, I fixed it for ya.

Rangerzag
01-29-2017, 08:42 AM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58908-Tillie-Pepperdine