PDA

View Full Version : How Michael Porter Jr. Can Help Save Romarís Career at Washington

CDC84
01-23-2017, 01:37 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/01/20/michael-porter-jr-can-help-save-lorenzo-romars-career-washington/

It's the same old story again and again and again........

willandi
01-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Won't the Huskies have to actually WIN some games to save his job? He has had so many #1 recruits, one or two and done...and still hasn't done much. As great as this young man might be, it's still Romar!

zagfan24
01-25-2017, 09:16 PM
He said he attended Nathan Hale for a week at the start of the season “and then I bounced.”

Now he and Jontay spend a couple hours a day doing schoolwork, and have the rest of the day to lift, practice and spend time with family.

“Home school’s been a better fit for us, we get to wake up basically whenever we want,” Porter Jr. said. “On a regular day I probably wake up 9:30-10, eat breakfast, start school around 10:30, do school work for about an hour and 15 minutes and then around 12 or 12:30 I lift at UW. Go get my lift on. And then I finish school for about 45 minutes. And then I got the est of the day off to just chill, do whatever I want with my brothers and sisters until practice, which usually is at 3:30-5:30. And then I don’t have any homework after I do my schoolwork at home so I can go back to the gym at night or hang out at home. So, man, life is good.”

Wow.

sittingon50
01-25-2017, 11:04 PM
I needed a better agent!!

zag944
01-26-2017, 07:13 PM
“I look at it as an opportunity to do something special,” he said at the Hoophall. “You could go to Kentucky, Duke, one of those schools and be another great, or you could go to school at Washington and do what you can to try to help turn that program around. I think Coach Romar, people are on his head on Twitter but I think if you look at their team, it’s not like they have talent top to bottom.

What a bizarre quote.

23dpg
01-30-2017, 09:13 PM
From Pat Forde - Hottest seats in college basketball.

Lorenzo Romar (28), Washington. Heís presiding over this yearís Ben Simmons Ė Markelle Fultz has a chance to be the first pick in the NBA draft, but heís part of the sixth straight Romar-coached Huskies team that will miss the NCAA tournament. Washington is 9-12, 2-7 in the Pac-12, and has nothing remotely resembling a quality win. If the school keeps him because he signed the Rivals.com 2017 No. 1 prospect Michael Porter Jr., itís the biggest sucker play in the sport.

basketballzag
02-02-2017, 09:33 AM
He said he attended Nathan Hale for a week at the start of the season ďand then I bounced.Ē

Now he and Jontay spend a couple hours a day doing schoolwork, and have the rest of the day to lift, practice and spend time with family.

ďHome schoolís been a better fit for us, we get to wake up basically whenever we want,Ē Porter Jr. said. ďOn a regular day I probably wake up 9:30-10, eat breakfast, start school around 10:30, do school work for about an hour and 15 minutes and then around 12 or 12:30 I lift at UW. Go get my lift on. And then I finish school for about 45 minutes. And then I got the est of the day off to just chill, do whatever I want with my brothers and sisters until practice, which usually is at 3:30-5:30. And then I donít have any homework after I do my schoolwork at home so I can go back to the gym at night or hang out at home. So, man, life is good.Ē

Wow.

What a sad state of affairs for this kid. He only studies two hours a day during the week? I really feel sorry for this kid.

zagfan24
02-02-2017, 12:04 PM
What a sad state of affairs for this kid. He only studies two hours a day during the week? I really feel sorry for this kid.

Perhaps I should have elaborated. I have no problem with Michael Porter Jr. He may very well be a bright kid and serious student and if I had been blessed with 1/1000 of the basketball talent as a high school kid I would have taken this arrangement in a heartbeat. He'll almost assuredly make a ton of money in his career. I just found it amazing that his daily schedule looks more like a professional athlete than a high school student. To each their own (and again, I don't know his situation well enough), but I can't help but wonder when the charade that we already know exists at the collegiate level as it relates to academics begins seeping down to high school and earlier.

To that end, and I felt this same way watching the national signing day festivities yesterday, I do "feel sorry" for any HS student who is given the privilege of a 50 year old, the responsibility of a 28 year old, and the frontal lobe of a 17 year old. I don't begrudge the athletes or their families. I do fear the culture that, especially with the world of social media ready to capture any failing, throws these kids up onto pedestals that they are all to ready to tumble off of. Most don't. But when they do, it's a long, hard fall.

seacatfan
02-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Interesting post zagfan, thanks. I think unfortunately some of the issues and dirtier side of sports has been trickling down from college to the high school level for a while now.

I didn't pay much attention to signing day yesterday. It's nearly insane how much attention and scrutiny get applied to a bunch of 17 or 18 year old kids signing their name to a piece of paper. It must be hard to not have your perspective skewed if you happen to be one of those athletically gifted 17 or 18 year olds.

basketballzag
02-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Interesting post zagfan, thanks. I think unfortunately some of the issues and dirtier side of sports has been trickling down from college to the high school level for a while now.

I didn't pay much attention to signing day yesterday. It's nearly insane how much attention and scrutiny get applied to a bunch of 17 or 18 year old kids signing their name to a piece of paper. It must be hard to not have your perspective skewed if you happen to be one of those athletically gifted 17 or 18 year olds.

This kid is going to make a ton money--Yes he is. Will he blow it all and follow the NBA career path of the 60% who file for BK protection within 5 years of retiring? Absolutely. Shaquille O'Neal only missed one class at LSU and its because of his education that he didn't follow in the footsteps of Stanley Johnson who was 10x the basketball player that Shaq was. I've seen this play out over and over and over again in this sport and I'll put 10k down this kid follows in that same dismal dysfunctional path due to the misplaced values his father has instilled in him. Would I sign him to a contract--in a NY heartbeat but that's temporary in life not a long term solution. Let's hope he can even read and write as we have had guys we drafted who couldn't do either.

seacatfan
02-02-2017, 05:58 PM
This kid is going to make a ton money--Yes he is. Will he blow it all and follow the NBA career path of the 60% who file for BK protection within 5 years of retiring? Absolutely. Shaquille O'Neal only missed one class at LSU and its because of his education that he didn't follow in the footsteps of Stanley Johnson who was 10x the basketball player that Shaq was. I've seen this play out over and over and over again in this sport and I'll put 10k down this kid follows in that same dismal dysfunctional path due to the misplaced values his father has instilled in him. Would I sign him to a contract--in a NY heartbeat but that's temporary in life not a long term solution. Let's hope he can even read and write as we have had guys we drafted who couldn't do either.

Stanley Roberts or Stanley Johnson?

zagfan24
02-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Ahhh ok. I had misread your initial post as sarcasm. I completely agree with you.

23dpg
02-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Ummm....10x the player Shaq was? No.