PDA

View Full Version : It's Game Day Zags vs Pilots

Reborn
01-21-2017, 06:56 AM
It[s the best day of the week. I'm looking forward to see our Zags on the court again. I really have an emotional hunger for Zag basketball. I like putting my Zag gear on in the morning, and look forwatd to going out and showing it off. Last Saturday I wore my Zag sweats and tee-shirt to a meeting and after the meeting a young woman, who was wearing a Zag sweatshirt, came up to me and said, "you're a Zag too?" of course I said yes, and I suddenly had a new friend. I'M REALLY EXCITED TODAY because I may get to see Rui and Tillie play more. I really like how these two guys play. I lived in Portland when I was a kid, and Oregon is our neighbor; so I'VE ALWAYS FELT Portland was a rival. I believe Melson is from Portland so I HOPE HE GETS 20 TODAY.

Go Zags!!!

RenoZag
01-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Jim Meehan's pre-game story, from the S-R: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/20/unbeaten-gonzaga-entertains-struggling-pilots/

The Pilots (9-9, 2-4) also face a packed 10-day schedule, but they carry additional baggage with a four-game losing streak. After winning their first two WCC games, they were crushed by Santa Clara, Saint Mary’s and San Francisco, and lost at the buzzer to Loyola Marymount.

Senior point guard Alec Wintering has seen his scoring average drop nearly three points during a prolonged shooting slump. The last time he made at least 50 percent of his shots was 10 games ago.

Wintering’s assists numbers have declined recently, too, but he’s still just five assists from becoming the program’s all-time leader.

Sidekick Jazz Johnson (16.9 points per game) has reached double figures in every game this season.

“We’ve got some aggressive guards coming in, but I’m pretty sure we’ve got some really good guards on our side, too,” Perkins said. “So we’ll be ready for it.”

Hope we do get to see more Tillie & Rui, Reborn. Hope your recovery continues to go well

RenoZag
01-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Gonzaga Athletic Dept Game Notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/release/release_20170120aaa.pdf

Zagger
01-21-2017, 08:34 AM
It[s the best day of the week. I'm looking forward to see our Zags on the court again. I really have an emotional hunger for Zag basketball. I like putting my Zag gear on in the morning, and look forwatd to going out and showing it off. Last Saturday I wore my Zag sweats and tee-shirt to a meeting and after the meeting a young woman, who was wearing a Zag sweatshirt, came up to me and said, "you're a Zag too?" of course I said yes, and I suddenly had a new friend. I'M REALLY EXCITED TODAY because I may get to see Rui and Tillie play more. I really like how these two guys play. I lived in Portland when I was a kid, and Oregon is our neighbor; so I'VE ALWAYS FELT Portland was a rival. I believe Melson is from Portland so I HOPE HE GETS 20 TODAY.

Go Zags!!!

Me too on Melson .... and a repeat when they're in Portland on Monday :)
Some of my favorite Zags games have been against Portland. I very much enjoy regional rivalries. After us I hope the Pilots move up the WCC ranks!
Go Zags!

Virginia Zags Fan
01-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Totally agree guys. Really, really excited to see the team play! If the Zags sweep the Pilot's, that is a 20 win season. In January!! Wow!

I want to see several guys get extended time. Bryan Alberts, Jeremy Jones, Rui, and K. Tillie. I want to see the bench extended to reduce the wear on our starting 5 during this 10-day stretch. This stretch includes BYU, so it is important for the guys to remain fresh, intense, and energized.

5 games in 10 days is awesome for this Zag addict, but is tougher on the guys who are actually doing the work. Still, what a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
01-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Totally agree guys. Really, really excited to see the team play! If the Zags sweep the Pilot's, that is a 20 win season. In January!! Wow!

I want to see several guys get extended time. Bryan Alberts, Jeremy Jones, Rui, and K. Tillie. I want to see the bench extended to reduce the wear on our starting 5 during this 10-day stretch. This stretch includes BYU, so it is important for the guys to remain fresh, intense, and energized.

5 games in 10 days is awesome for this Zag addict, but is tougher on the guys who are actually doing the work. Still, what a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOT telling my wife the Zags have 5 games in 10 days...lol. She thinks I've been spending far too much time on the internet and watching college basketball.

I think she's just PO'ed because the Cowboys lost last week.

DixieZag
01-21-2017, 09:15 AM
When I think about the long off seasons, it's very hard to not be excited by "game day" - but, gotta be honest here, it's very hard to get real excited about playing a team that couldn't come within 40 of SMC on their home floor.

I hope the game gets very well in-hand early, and let some of the kids that have worked hard get some PT, get Alberts, Rui, Jones out there and let them run.

MontanaCoyote
01-21-2017, 09:43 AM
NOT telling my wife the Zags have 5 games in 10 days...lol. She thinks I've been spending far too much time on the internet and watching college basketball.

I think she's just PO'ed because the Cowboys lost last week.

I can relate, except here she gets PO'ed because the housework doesn't get done.

My wife of 53 years has had MS for 38 years and has been wheel chair bound for 13. I do everything she used to do that I took for granted.

But does that buy me a little slack when it comes to Zag Time? Are You Kidding Me!? Her maiden
name is Peggy O'Neil, she blond, she's Irish and she's Catholic! You know what I'm sayin'! (No Question Mark!)

Love her to death though!

TexasZagFan
01-21-2017, 09:52 AM
I can relate, except here she gets PO'ed because the housework doesn't get done.

My wife of 53 years has had MS for 38 years and has been wheel chair bound for 13. I do everything she used to do that I took for granted.

But does that buy me a little slack when it comes to Zag Time? Are You Kidding Me!? Her maiden
name is Peggy O'Neil, she blond, she's Irish and she's Catholic! You know what I'm sayin'! (No Question Mark!)

Love her to death though!

You just about shamed me into doing the dishes...after my walk, of course. ;)

I was going to do them anyway.

jazzdelmar
01-21-2017, 12:48 PM
When I think about the long off seasons, it's very hard to not be excited by "game day" - but, gotta be honest here, it's very hard to get real excited about playing a team that couldn't come within 40 of SMC on their home floor.

I hope the game gets very well in-hand early, and let some of the kids that have worked hard get some PT, get Alberts, Rui, Jones out there and let them run.

I'm with you Dix. One of the worst teams in the country, though not clearly the worst in the wcc. Only chance for any drama is if an intrasquad game breaks out.

Zagricultural
01-21-2017, 01:02 PM

I would second this. I want to see some massive Rui Dunks!

Martin Centre Mad Man
01-21-2017, 01:08 PM

I'd like to see extended minutes for the bench in both of these Portland games. With five games in nine days, the starters will want dome rest. It would be good to rotate Jones, Alberts, and Rui in with the regulars during the first half to get them some game experience. It may pay off at a later date.

gonstu
01-21-2017, 01:35 PM
Wintering out for rest of season (ACL) according to ESPN tweet.

TexasZagFan
01-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Wintering out for rest of season (ACL) according to ESPN tweet.

Damn shame, I was looking forward to seeing our guards trying to contain him.

MontanaCoyote
01-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Damn shame, I was looking forward to seeing our guards trying to contain him.

No Zag Injuries, Please!

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Excited to watch Zags tonight as always but after watching Zona vs Bruins game, there's a weird anticlimactic angst creeping into my Zagginess because the WCC sucks so bad. Hopefully Zags will just focus in on their mantra "keep improving" and work their tails off, keep dominating these inferior opponents and building good March habits!

Ekrub
01-21-2017, 05:49 PM
These last two posts jinxed us.

ProVeeZag
01-21-2017, 10:15 PM
These last two posts jinxed us.

No doubt! Where was the post saying Portland would be a "trap game"?