• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Luke Winn: Handicapping the national title race at the midway point

Here's another lame reason to explain why the Zags aren't what they are all cracked up to be. Nearly every team on this list has a weakness that Winn can clearly identify, but with Gonzaga it is.....

The Flaws: There haven’t been many on display, so I’m reaching here: As good as Williams-Goss is, he’s yet to play in an NCAA tournament game, so leading a team to a title might be a stretch. . . . The Zags were in the 10–15 range in kenpom’s adjusted efficiency rankings before a series of West Coast Conference blowouts elevated them to No. 1. I think their true level is closer to the 8–10 range.
  • Once and Future Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball...anova-Kentucky

Here's another lame reason to explain why the Zags aren't what they are all cracked up to be. Nearly every team on this list has a weakness that Winn can clearly identify, but with Gonzaga it is.....
    Luke Winn seems to not understand that kenpom's numbers are normalized against the strength of opponent.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

And what's weird is that Winn was one of the very first college basketball analysts to embrace kenpom & make it a part of his writing and analysis. You'd think he'd know better.

And this thing about Nigel's lack of tourney experience....Fox with UK? Ball with UCLA? Plus, it's not like Nigel is a one man show.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

One of the stupidest things ever written. Winn's never been a Zag fan. His logic "wants"

Comment

• FlyZag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Nov 2007

In all fairness... he does say "I'm reaching here..."

Comment

• soccerdud
            Zag for Life
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FlyZag View Post
            In all fairness... he does say "I'm reaching here..."
            this. he is coming up with flaws for EVERY team and ours is the only one that he leads with a disclaimer. truly not sure what it would take to satisfy you guys. just leave that section blank for us cause we're perfect?

were your hackles already up cause you had to scroll all the way down to 8? seriously.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Easy, easy, easy.

Comment

• seacatfan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2014

This board cracks me up sometimes. I think some of you are so used to being overlooked or written off by the national media that you go out of your way looking for insults anywhere you can. Gonzaga isn't the plucky little underdog anymore. That narrative got worn out a while ago. What they are is a really good team w/ size, depth, versatility, shooters...whatever else you could want. They are 18-0, only undefeated team in the country, most pundits agree they are one of the top teams in the country. I'd say relax and enjoy it instead of going around w/ a humongous chip on your shoulder and trying your darnedest to be insulted and feel slighted. It's really getting pretty silly this season.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by seacatfan View Post
                  This board cracks me up sometimes. I think some of you are so used to being overlooked or written off by the national media that you go out of your way looking for insults anywhere you can. Gonzaga isn't the plucky little underdog anymore. That narrative got worn out a while ago. What they are is a really good team w/ size, depth, versatility, shooters...whatever else you could want. They are 18-0, only undefeated team in the country, most pundits agree they are one of the top teams in the country. I'd say relax and enjoy it instead of going around w/ a humongous chip on your shoulder and trying your darnedest to be insulted and feel slighted. It's really getting pretty silly this season.

It's called "looking for offense" and is usually associated with New Yorkers.

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                      http://www.si.com/college-basketball...anova-Kentucky

Come on CDC. He mentioned it was lame. Let's not take things out of context here. Again someone standing for zags ....
                      Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          It's called "looking for offense" and is usually associated with New Yorkers.
                          There is a reason.
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Zagger
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2008

I personally think a writer needs to name at least 8 Zags to have a telling piece on the team.

Comment

• whatazag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                              Luke Winn seems to not understand that kenpom's numbers are normalized against the strength of opponent.
                              I know that they are "adjusted" but can anyone on this board explain what that means (adjusted O or D efficiency)? It seems he used to have a link to it on his page but I am not seeing it now. Seems straightforward, points per possession on O and allowed on D, but its not clear how that is adjusted.

Comment

Working...
                              X