PDA

View Full Version : ESPN BPI Conference Rankings

Ezag
01-20-2017, 10:34 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18518019/conference-power-rankings-according-bpi

Not long ago, the ACC stood alone as the top conference in college basketball. This season has caused some to wonder whether another conference, such as the Big 12 or the new-look Big East, has made the leap to be the best conference in the country.

We attempt to rank all 32 conferences in the country using objective analytics, trying to avoid any bias such as perceived strength or the size of the fan base of each conference's respective schools. The difficult part is defining the criteria to which one conference should be considered better than the other.

Using ESPN's Basketball Power Index and other analytic tools developed here at ESPN we use a hybrid approach to equally weigh three metrics to evaluate the strength of each conference, and subsequently rank them 1-32.

Average conference BPI: The average BPI rating for each team in the conference.

Top quartile conference BPI: This is a proxy for how good the conference is at the top by taking the average BPI of the top half of each conference and seeing where that compares to the other conferences.

Teams in the top 50 of SOR: ESPN's strength of record describes which teams have the most impressive win-loss records. Our analysis shows that if in a typical year, a team is in the top 50 of SOR on Selection Sunday, it deserves to make the NCAA tournament.

WCC is #10

TexasZagFan
01-20-2017, 10:38 AM
How can the Big 12 be #1 when they only have 10 teams?

stevet75
01-20-2017, 10:51 AM

I don't think math is part of the equation. If it was both the Big 10 and Big 12 would rate pretty low.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-20-2017, 10:52 AM
WCC is #10

I know many folks around here poop on the WCC. They seem to compare it to the Power Conferences. Relative to the conferences we should actually be comparing it to, the WCC is quite good.

And yeah, yeah, it's mainly the top 3. But the WCC without its top three is still better than the Colonial, the Mid-American, the Sun Belt, etc. without THEIR top 3.

TexasZagFan
01-20-2017, 11:06 AM
I know many folks around here poop on the WCC. They seem to compare it to the Power Conferences. Relative to the conferences we should actually be comparing it to, the WCC is quite good.

And yeah, yeah, it's mainly the top 3. But the WCC without its top three is still better than the Colonial, the Mid-American, the Sun Belt, etc. without THEIR top 3.

There may be 5-6 decent teams in the WCC now, if you add in SCU, USF, and USD.

Pepperdine really fell off the map, it was a senior laden team last year.

JPtheBeasta
01-20-2017, 06:45 PM

I thought you were starting to ask a different math question :)

Just came to the realization the Big 12 has 10 teams, and the Big 10 has 14...

Virginia Zags Fan
01-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Interesting article. I think the WCC should strive to overtake one power conference to come in at number 6. That would be a tremendous revenue enhancement as more teams would make the tournament and help TV deals. I really like some of the new coaches in the conference and hope they hang in there. Why go to UC Davis when you can go to USF, USD or SC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk