• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 77Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2007

Ryan Edwards

Not sure why he isn't getting ANY time at all --
    Is he injured or is it just a coaching choice. I Feel for the young man who has given us some quality minutes in the past

If this has been hit before....

Mods move

Go Zags - Beat the Pilots
    Last edited by 77Zag; 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”
  • whatazag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Ya, its very strange. Had walk ons coming in off the bench before a scholarship player. Even after both Collins and Karno were out.
    He looked healthy to me.

Comment

• Section 116
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I too am curious?

Comment

• Zagger
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

I'm not aware of any injury issues with Ryan. I felt he did an OK job when Mt K couldn't play last season. I kept hoping Ryan would follow a bit of a Olynyk story line - especially since he's from the NW. The "NW" thing is a big reason I got into Zag basketball when both Morrison and Malon were from Spokane. I don't mind the Zags recruiting from afar - just find it extra when a local kid makes it big and was cheering Edwards on in that regard. I still feel Edwards has the coordination, skills, etc. to get in the mix of things. It just hasn't turned out that way. I do feel that Ryan is good enough to at least spell a big during a foul trouble issue and have the Zags maintain a lead.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Zach's getting those minutes. Sorry Ryan, Few knows what you can do.

He may be needed once or twice this year, when Shem and Zach are both in foul trouble.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

I don't know what the coaches know. Maybe it's practice. Maybe it's the shall not be named. Maybe they just wanted to give minutes to guys that may have to see the floor in case of injury.
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2009

I've always rooted for Edwards. I still do.

I hate to say it but it might be effort. You reward guys for the time and effort they put in during practice and the off-season.

It's pure speculation but I base it on the fact that no one seems upset, the coaches or players or Edwards, that he is not seeing the floor.
              The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                Zag for Life
                • Nov 2007

I like Ryan, and have from the start. I am glad he has stayed loyal to the zags even as quality big men are recruited over him year after year.
                But if I was Ryan I would do what Spangler did, go get some playing time somewhere, best deal I could find. Because playing against great competition in practice is just not the same show as playing against good competition in front of a crowd, getting lots of minutes on the line when everything matters.
                I don't think Grant Gibbs, Spangler, or Ryan Edwards have been mistreated, there just isn't enough room on a 5 man playing team to give all good players quality minutes.
                He is "inches" from being able to make some good money as a pro in Europe or somewhere, if he would throw himself into a lesser teams starting five someplace and get the crucial experiences he needs to advance.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Does he want to play pro ball somewhere -- or does he want to be part of the media/announcing covering teams like he is doing in college as part of his education.

99% of college athletes go on to a career rather than play a sport professionally post college.

Comment

• madness
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Feb 2007

Perhaps he still qualifies for a Redshirt?
                    You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
                    http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Comment

• soccerdud
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by madness View Post
                      Perhaps he still qualifies for a Redshirt?
                      already took one. can't take another (unless medical). that's not it.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                        Zag for Life
                        • Sep 2009

Edwards was never a Zag caliber player. He was a project that didn't pan out. Seven footer with good hands and footwork recruited by Giacoletti (sp?), who brought a similar prospect to Washington in Todd MacCulloch, who turned into an AA who played in the NBA.

Edwards is overweight. Whether it's a medical/genetic condition or lack of effort is unknown. But he's not good enough to contribute, and Collins/Tillie, and for that matter the starting bigs, aren't getting the minutes they merit as it is.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

Will he be eligible as a grad transfer after this year? I like his attitude and he's a great teammate.

Comment

• john montana
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=maynard g krebs;1272456]Edwards was never a Zag caliber player. He was a project that didn't pan out. Seven footer with good hands and footwork recruited by Giacoletti (sp?), who brought a similar prospect to Washington in Todd MacCulloch, who turned into an AA who played in the NBA.

Edwards is overweight. Whether it's a medical/genetic condition or lack of effort is unknown. But he's not good enough to contribute, and Collins/Tillie, and for that matter the starting bigs, aren't getting the minutes they merit as it is.[/QUOT

Harsh, but true. Seems like a good kid, hope he is having a great experience.
                            john montana
                            http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by soccerdud View Post
                              already took one. can't take another (unless medical). that's not it.
                              Maybe, just maybe, basketball is not much of a big deal for him. Maybe his vision of his future has absolutely nothing to do with basketball and, as a result, he just isn't committed/driven to make the extraordinary effort and sacrifice needed to get minutes on a perennial top 20 program. I will emphatically add that I have absolutely no idea if any of this is true (pure speculation on my part). But, like everyone else I am perplexed by his absence from the floor in blow out games while non-scholarship players can regularly find a few minutes. I suspect he does enough in practice to justify his scholarship (he's still on the team) but maybe not quite enough for playing time. Also, it's important to give freshmen Collins and Tillie as much playing time/experience, even at the end of a blow out. Therefore, it follows that every minute Edwards would be on the floor is time that could have gone to Collins, Tillie, or Rui.

Comment

Working...
                              X