Scott Van Pelt and Jeff Goodman debate UCLA v. Gonzaga for No. 1 seed in the west.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagdontzig
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2016

Scott Van Pelt and Jeff Goodman debate UCLA v. Gonzaga for No. 1 seed in the west.

SVP had Goodman (my favorite commentator on ESPN) on to Sports Center to discuss whether UCLA or Gonzaga should get the number 1 seed in the west. Here's the link http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18515866
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor
  • tinfoilzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2009

From the video - Goodman about GU:

"The don't really have a pro, a legitimate NBA guy on their roster and that worries me a little bit"

I wish he would of expanded on that. If there was a Vegas line for a player on the GU roster right now playing in the NBA and the O/U was 0.5, I would put a lot of money on the over. I think what he meant was, 'they don't have any players projected to be drafted in the 2017 NBA draft."

Would he of said that GU only had one 'NBA guy' on the roster last year (Sabonis)? Because he would of been wrong.
    The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• Snagglezag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
      SVP had Goodman (my favorite commentator on ESPN) on to Sports Center to discuss whether UCLA or Gonzaga should get the number 1 seed in the west. Here's the link http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18515866
      Definitely lost some respect for Mr. Goodman for that "analysis".

Please, give an undefeated Gonzaga a 2-seed and watch the carnage ensue.
      Welcome to Zagdom

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

That was awful analysis... UCLA has no defense. We do have at least one pro on this team in Collins and possibly one more NWG. "UCLA is everything right now" really? Let's see that defense puhleeze!
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• gonstu
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

What if UCLA loses only 1 or 2 more times and are also deserving of a 1-seed. I would rather be 2-seed out west than 1 seed in the South/Midwest region.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
            Administrator
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
            What if UCLA loses only 1 or 2 more times and are also deserving of a 1-seed. I would rather be 2-seed out west than 1 seed in the South/Midwest region.
            I want whatever bracket seeding matches Gonzaga up with UCLA in the Elite 8. The Zags can beat just about any team in the country, but I would rather go through UCLA in our own region than Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova, Oregon, or Louisville in another corner of the country. If an undefeated or 1 loss Zags team is awarded a 2 seed, I just hope that UCLA is the 1 seed.
            “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• amaronizag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Jul 2013

I think GU is a better rounded team than UCLA, a team that is widely criticized for their "weak" defense. But does having a weak defense matter when you can score like UCLA? You have to score more points than your opponent to win. Can offense in the nation can score with or better than UCLA? On Saturday, AZ will give the curious a glimpse at how well UCLA can do against a tight defense. How would UCLA fare against the tight defenses of Louisville, VA, or GU? Sorting that out is what the NCAA tournament is for. I'm thinking the top defenses will limit UCLA scoring enough to give them a couple of conference losses before we beat them in the West bracket.

Comment

• gonstu
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                I want whatever bracket seeding matches Gonzaga up with UCLA in the Elite 8. The Zags can beat just about any team in the country, but I would rather go through UCLA in our own region than Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova, Oregon, or Louisville in another corner of the country. If an undefeated or 1 loss Zags team is awarded a 2 seed, I just hope that UCLA is the 1 seed.
                Same here. I guess that's what I hope doesn't happen: that zags and UCLA BOTH get 1-seeds, thus forcing the committee to send one of us to a different region for second week. I think we all know which program would get to play at Staples. I'd rather the 2 out west.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                  Zag for Life
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by amaronizag View Post
                  I think GU is a better rounded team than UCLA, a team that is widely criticized for their "weak" defense. But does having a weak defense matter when you can score like UCLA? You have to score more points than your opponent to win. Can offense in the nation can score with or better than UCLA? On Saturday, AZ will give the curious a glimpse at how well UCLA can do against a tight defense. How would UCLA fare against the tight defenses of Louisville, VA, or GU? Sorting that out is what the NCAA tournament is for. I'm thinking the top defenses will limit UCLA scoring enough to give them a couple of conference losses before we beat them in the West bracket.
                  When you have a Top 5 defense like Gonzaga yes it absolutely matters if you play weak defense.

Look defense travels, defense always shows up. If you don't have a defense if you are not shooting well one night, you're getting blown out. That's how I feel a GU-UCLA game would go. We'd kill them if they weren't shooting well
                  Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• B-hamZag
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Jan 2010

frustrations with that video.

1: UCLA has 1 win (a good one) in top 50 rpi (zags have 4), I don't like that metric but thats not a 1 seed. A couple bad loses in pac 12 would put a team close to the bubble. Also the defense is horrible, 92 on kenpom. Worst defensive efficiency to win a title was Puke I mean duke in 2015 at 37. UCLA is ripe to be upset early in my opinion. Bad night shooting against a good offensive team and they are done.

But I guess if we were the 2 seed in the west I would take playing UCLA over Villanova, KY, or KS......

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Villanova didn't have a pro on last year's title team, although it's looking more and more like Josh Hart will turn out to be one.

I think the NBA thing is more important when it comes to winning the national title. It's a lot harder to win the national title than it is to make the final 4.

The number of pros you have means nothing when it comes to who gets a one seed.

Honestly, whether UCLA gets the one or GU does...it just looks as though those two teams are set to be the one and two in the west region if both teams keep winning.

Comment

• Zaga
                        Bleeds GU Blue
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                        When you have a Top 5 defense like Gonzaga yes it absolutely matters if you play weak defense.
                        There was a concern if this team could gel with so many new players. We are obviously Gellin on offense and their "D" has been awesome to see!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Utah, not a great team, could easily have beaten the Gilberts. So gimme a break on this Bruin idolatry.

Comment

• seacatfan
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by amaronizag View Post
                            Can offense in the nation can score with or better than UCLA? On Saturday, AZ will give the curious a glimpse at how well UCLA can do against a tight defense.
                            Arizona's defense isn't great this year. They've had a bad habit of getting torched in the 2nd half of games lately. I don't think they're gonna beat UCLA at Pauley.

Comment

• Mantua
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                              Utah, not a great team, could easily have beaten the Gilberts. So gimme a break on this Bruin idolatry.

Please!

Give us a break too from constant guessing about the St. Mary's game, the BYU game and the tournament seeding.
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                              X