Here's something scary; we could be even better next season!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Here's something scary; we could be even better next season!!!

I was just thinking about this, but if everyone stays that can, i.e. ZC and NWG than this team will be stupid deep and great at every position:

PG: NWG, Perk, Wade
    SG: Perk, Melson, Norvell, Alberts
    SF: Norvell, Rui, Kispert ,JJ
    PF: Tillie, JW III
    C: ZC, Larsen, Edwards

If he comes back next season, imagine ZC with a year under his belt and 10-15 lbs of added muscle? Holy Cow, he'll be unstoppable!! Tillie is a bulldog on the boards, ala Sabonis and has a very good offensive game to boot that will only get better. NWG is one of the best pg's in the nation, will only get better next season. Perk, great shooter, great vision, great combo guard. Norvell and Kispert will be crazy on the wings and we have our own japanese version of the Greek Freak in Rui, and with a year under his belt and getting better at English and elaring the nuances of basketball could break out next year. And then the steady senior leadership of JWIII, who can do it all....Wow, next year is gonna be crazy good. Back to back undefeated regular seasons? That would be amazing, and it's actually quite possible. The future is very bright for us Zag fans, let's enjoy it.
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

I completely forgot to mention Melson in my analysis. He's like a top 6th man in the NBA type player; instant offense and energy and confidence.

Comment

• Zagdawg
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Hope NWG stays one more year -- lots of great exposure from the schedule coming next year if he decides to stay.

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Oct 2008

With all the 1 and done freshmen PGs and the deep draft class in general, I'm really optimistic that Nigel and Zach staying one more year will benefit both of their pocketbooks.

For Nigel, he will be the clear leader on another top tier team, proving his ability to step in as a serviceable backup NBA PG right off the bat for a team that wants to fill a hole now instead of waiting on potential. I see him playing himself into the back end of the 1st round and the all important guaranteed contract.

For Zach, I agree with a previous poster who suggested Domas set the blueprint. He'll get way more minutes with Karnowski graduated, way more points, and is already expected to be a lottery pick in 2018. Kind of a no brainer to see how high of a lottery pick he can become next year, instead of fighting for a late lottery pick in this year's class.

Lastly, thanks for circling back on Melson. We appreciate you, Silas! I believe Few will start him alongside NWG and Perkins in his senior year, as he's done with Mathews this year.

Go Zags!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
          With all the 1 and done freshmen PGs and the deep draft class in general, I'm really optimistic that Nigel and Zach staying one more year will benefit both of their pocketbooks.

For Nigel, he will be the clear leader on another top tier team, proving his ability to step in as a serviceable backup NBA PG right off the bat for a team that wants to fill a hole now instead of waiting on potential. I see him playing himself into the back end of the 1st round and the all important guaranteed contract.

For Zach, I agree with a previous poster who suggested Domas set the blueprint. He'll get way more minutes with Karnowski graduated, way more points, and is already expected to be a lottery pick in 2018. Kind of a no brainer to see how high of a lottery pick he can become next year, instead of fighting for a late lottery pick in this year's class.

Lastly, thanks for circling back on Melson. We appreciate you, Silas! I believe Few will start him alongside NWG and Perkins in his senior year, as he's done with Mathews this year.

Go Zags!
          yeah, I'm curious to see who will start at the "Sf' spot? Will Few replicate the 3 guard lineup that we currently employee and stick Silas in at Matthews spot, or does he start Kispert or Norvell or Rui at the 3; more traditionally sized sf's and leave Silas as the 6th man, instant offense off of the bench? Should be interesting.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2010

Zach will stay. NWG may go. We will see.

Comment

• hockeyzag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Jul 2007

Who's JJ?

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
              I was just thinking about this, but if everyone stays that can, i.e. ZC and NWG than this team will be stupid deep and great at every position:

PG: NWG, Perk, Wade
              SG: Perk, Melson, Norvell, Alberts
              SF: Norvell, Rui, Kispert ,JJ
              PF: Tillie, JW III
              C: ZC, Larsen, Edwards

If he comes back next season, imagine ZC with a year under his belt and 10-15 lbs of added muscle? Holy Cow, he'll be unstoppable!! Tillie is a bulldog on the boards, ala Sabonis and has a very good offensive game to boot that will only get better. NWG is one of the best pg's in the nation, will only get better next season. Perk, great shooter, great vision, great combo guard. Norvell and Kispert will be crazy on the wings and we have our own japanese version of the Greek Freak in Rui, and with a year under his belt and getting better at English and elaring the nuances of basketball could break out next year. And then the steady senior leadership of JWIII, who can do it all....Wow, next year is gonna be crazy good. Back to back undefeated regular seasons? That would be amazing, and it's actually quite possible. The future is very bright for us Zag fans, let's enjoy it.
              "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
              -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• phxfireflames
                Kennel Club Material
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
                Who's JJ?
                Jeremy Jones

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                  We've heard that the 2017 draft is deep, hope that Nigel opts to complete his masters before leaving GU.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
                    How do you know?

Comment

• Zag_Dad
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2013

Wow, next year is gonna be crazy good. Back to back undefeated regular seasons? That would be amazing, and it's actually quite possible. The future is very bright for us Zag fans, let's enjoy it.
                      Wowwww... let's not get carried away here. As good as next year's team looks on paper, our non-conference schedule is WAY tougher next year than it was this year. I'm not saying we had a cake walk this year, but next year we will play Nova at MSG and the Phil Knight tournament with a loaded field. Those are just the games that come to mind without researching the schedule.

I like the thought but I suspect we will have a tougher time staying unblemished next year.

Comment

• MickMick
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

According to Mark Few, Goss studies video and keeps notes like a pro quarterback. "Dialed in" is how the Mark Few describes him. " When it comes to preparation, "Goss tops the list" relative to all the players Few has coached (although Few also mentioned Pangos in the same vein). All quotes and references from the "Jim Rhome Show" podcast on 1/18/2017. A genuinely bright student in the classroom and on the court.

Goss prepares and plays like a pro. When he gets evaluated this coming off season, the consensus advice will be "you are ready".
                        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zag_Dad View Post
                          Wowwww... let's not get carried away here. As good as next year's team looks on paper, our non-conference schedule is WAY tougher next year than it was this year. I'm not saying we had a cake walk this year, but next year we will play Nova at MSG and the Phil Knight tournament with a loaded field. Those are just the games that come to mind without researching the schedule.

I like the thought but I suspect we will have a tougher time staying unblemished next year.
                          Nova loses their top two scorers next year, they're gonna be mediocre at best. Our team is stupid good next year, if everyone returns that can, we only lose Shem and JM. We're gonna be crazy good, possibly #1 pre season.

Comment

• hooter73
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jun 2008

I think we all know the writing is on the wall for what's probably going to happen with NWG. And no one will blame him. Collins will probably want a full year like sabonis did, then test those waters as well imo. What we're leaving off is what we're losing. I was not a huge Matthews fan at first but the dang guy is huge for this team. I do think Norvelle will be able to gobble up his minutes and points Though. And if not him, then the sleeper that's is Jesse Wade is going to shock some people. But Shem, shem cannot be replaced. A team without him functions so, so differently than what we are seeing even when he is on the bench. Without Shems court presence we will look and play a bit more like the 2015-2016 team, which was obviously good, but Collins and tillie are no sabonis and wiltjer. We will not have the open looks on the perimeter for the guards and we will not have the defense and mountain offense Shem provides.

It's going to be different, but if Goss stays, it's going to be yuuuge!

Comment

• hockeyzag
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Jul 2007

Saying Villanova will be mediocre in any year is a mistake. There aren't many teams who reload as well as they do and maintain year in and year out success.

I agree that we'll be crazy good next year.

Nova loses their top two scorers next year, they're gonna be mediocre at best. Our team is stupid good next year, if everyone returns that can, we only lose Shem and JM. We're gonna be crazy good, possibly #1 pre season.
                              "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                              -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X