PDA

View Full Version : Josh Status Thread

kitzbuel
01-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Even though he came back in the second half he didn't get much time and didn't do much. Staff was clearly letting him take it easy.

Any info on his status?

RenoZag
01-15-2017, 08:28 AM
From S-R Writer Jim Meehan's Gamer:

Perkins leaves game with back injury, returns

Sophomore guard Josh Perkins left the game late in the first half after tweaking his back. He landed awkwardly and quickly ran off the court for the locker room with the training staff.

“His back has been bothering him,” Few said. “He came down weird, kind of twisted. He wasn’t feeling great at halftime. It was kind of courageous of him to come out and give us those minutes in the second half.”

Perkins didn’t start the second half but he came on to play 10 minutes. He finished with four points, three rebounds and two assists in 16 minutes.

Asked if his back loosened up in the second half, Perkins said, “A little bit, enough to go in there and give a little spark. We’ll work with it this week, I’ll be all right.”

MileHigh
01-15-2017, 08:35 AM
It was back spasms.......anyone that has had them knows what they feel like. Almost impossible to compete in any activity once they hit

Hydration and stretching will hopefully get him ready for the next game

GoZag
01-16-2017, 09:41 AM
I am just glad that our next 4 games are against teams that are below .500. Rest and get better Perkins

amaronizag
01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
I would be really sad for Josh if he had an injury that hampered his play this season. After all the pain and frustration he endured while having to sit injured on the bench, another injury would be horrible. If the worst case injury scenario DID happen, would it make sense to bring Zach out of red shirt mode this late in the season? Is he playing pain free yet? Could he get his body and/or his game in shape to help GU make a deep run in March? At this point through the end of the WCC tournament, we have 15 games to play before March Madness begins. Any word on his condition?

Virginia Zags Fan
01-16-2017, 10:50 AM
A tight lower back can be really debilitating. It messes with shooting form, ability to defend, etc. IMHO, Josh has not been himself the last three games and I am guessing this was the reason. I am hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

former1dog
01-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Watched the Arizona game again last night. Perkins was superb in that game. Great handles, great shooting and good judgment. He was full of energy and clearly one of the best players on the floor.

I would suspect that if I looked through most games before and after that one, I would see a similar player. That is until the USF game. Josh, to me, looked out of sorts and not his normal self on the court. Games subsequent to USF he looked a bit better but not quite the guy who lit up Top 25 Arizona.

What that all means to me is that Josh is either slightly injured or slightly under the weather and with proper care, we'll see the old Josh in no time.

LongIslandZagFan
01-16-2017, 10:56 AM
A tight lower back can be really debilitating. It messes with shooting form, ability to defend, etc. IMHO, Josh has not been himself the last three games and I am guessing this was the reason. I am hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was trying to explain it to my son, who was watching football with his friends but wanted to know what was happening in the game. First thing I said is it struck me as a back issue. Just the way he came off the landing and started walking up court... Didn't strike me as a leg injury... and I certainly didn't buy ESPN's "Undisclosed leg injury"

CDC84
01-16-2017, 02:33 PM
This is one of several negative things about having to play 3 games next week......not as much rest.

Goshzagit
01-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Josh has been receiving continuous treatment on his back for the past 2 wks. Been bothering him for a few games noe.

Dealing with spasms, soreness, & tightness.

No clear indication on when or how he injured it, but appears it was the day after a hard practice.

He's been practicing & playing through the pain...and will continue to receive treatment.

Expected to play Thursday.

If it were up to me, and personally speaking, I'd rest him for next 2 wks.

Not Josh's style to sit out. Tough kid.

Zagricultural
01-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Speaking from experience, back injuries are tough. Would actually like to see him sit this week. I am a huge believer in Josh and what he brings to the team. We need him in March!

SWZag
01-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Josh has been receiving continuous treatment on his back for the past 2 wks. Been bothering him for a few games noe.

No clear indication on when or how he injured it, but appears it was the day after a hard practice.

He's been practicing & playing through the pain...and will continue to receive treatment.

Thanks for the update. Must have triggered something with his shot from the elbow. You could tell by the way he moved it must have been his back.

sittingon50
01-16-2017, 10:53 PM

Russell Wilson's trainer's are available.

MDABE80
01-16-2017, 11:24 PM
Psoas major and minor often masquerade as low back. Hard to diagnose. Often dx is made after no improvement with the back.. Hope it's not missed. I've seen plenty of those...

former1dog
01-17-2017, 06:46 AM

I knew it! Well, I guessed it anyway -

Watched the Arizona game again last night. Perkins was superb in that game. Great handles, great shooting and good judgment. He was full of energy and clearly one of the best players on the floor.

I would suspect that if I looked through most games before and after that one, I would see a similar player. That is until the USF game. Josh, to me, looked out of sorts and not his normal self on the court. Games subsequent to USF he looked a bit better but not quite the guy who lit up Top 25 Arizona.

What that all means to me is that Josh is either slightly injured or slightly under the weather and with proper care, we'll see the old Josh in no time.

MileHigh
01-17-2017, 03:38 PM
..getting back to the original subject....Perkins has been cleared to play this week and, absent a setback, there are no plans to rest him going forward

Zagdawg
01-17-2017, 03:44 PM
Thank you for the update MileHigh.

Zagger
01-18-2017, 02:12 AM
Thank you for the update MileHigh.
Ditto

amaronizag
01-18-2017, 05:50 AM
Thanks for the update, that's a huge relief. Hopefully his condition is going in the right direction and won't be an issue. We need him healthy and playing in top form.

Kiddwell
01-18-2017, 07:02 AM
..getting back to the original subject....Perkins has been cleared to play this week and, absent a setback, there are no plans to rest him going forward

Thanks, Mile. You're tops.

:]

DixieZag
01-18-2017, 07:25 AM
I trust the trainers-meds to decide whether "cleared" means "should" play or whether it's just as well to "rest" him over the course of games that shouldn't provide as big a challenge.

Get better, Perk!

mzimmer
01-18-2017, 07:52 AM
tough thing about back injuries, they never seem to go away IN-SEASON. Cats have had their issues over the years and it always makes the fan base nervous.
My hope is that Perkins is at the end of it and not the beginning of it. Good luck Perkins.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Must be very frustrating for JP. Hope his back loosens up and improves; he is a key player for this team, obviously, and his consistent stroke from 3 keeps defenses honest.

Zagceo
01-18-2017, 08:21 AM
Yoga stretching and inversion chair keep my back in shape......find what works and work it.