PDA

View Full Version : Could we please stop with the "beat the next opponent" thing

CDC84
01-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Frankly, it comes off as childish, and as a "holier than thou" way of treating other posters.

It's the job of the players and coaching staff to concentrate on the next opponent, and to continue to improve each and every day. It's their job to not underestimate the next opponent.

It's not the job of message board posters.

If board members cannot talk about this year's team beyond the next WCC opponent, we will not have a message board. This will be a board with minimal activity.

I'm saying this because it's awhile until the game at BYU, and the issue is just going to keep coming up so long as this team remains undefeated. If you don't want to participate in a thread about how far GU might go in the NCAA tournament, or what elite teams GU needs to avoid in March Madness, that's your right. But please don't try to correct the posting behavior of fans as if you're correcting a child or a player on a basketball team you're coaching.

Thanks.

ZagaZags
01-14-2017, 10:23 PM
It's childish, and a "holier than thou" way of treating other posters.

It's the job of the players and coaching staff to concentrate on the next opponent, and to continue to improve each and every day. It's their job to not underestimate the next opponent.

It's not the job of message board posters.

If board members cannot talk about this year's team beyond the next WCC opponent, we will not have a message board. This will be a board with minimal activity.

I'm saying this because it's awhile until the game at BYU, and the issue is just going to keep coming up so long as this team remains undefeated. If you don't want to participate in a thread about how far GU might go in the NCAA tournament, or what elite teams GU needs to avoid in March Madness, that's your right. But please don't try to correct the posting behavior of fans as if you're correcting a child or a player on your basketball team.

Thanks.

But..... If we fans overlook the next team or we get over confident GU might lose the game.

:jk:

CDC84
01-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Yeah I know...the fans just have this supernatural ability to make Gonzaga's players underestimate the Santa Clara Broncos :)

ZagaZags
01-14-2017, 10:29 PM
Yeah I know...the fans just have this supernatural ability to make Gonzaga's players underestimate the Santa Clara Broncos :)

Who?

sittingon50
01-14-2017, 11:38 PM
:confused:

CDC84
01-14-2017, 11:40 PM
Who? Who Are You. Who, Who. Who, Who.

sittingon50
01-15-2017, 12:36 AM
I really wanna' know.

Zags11
01-15-2017, 12:45 AM
I smoke too much

ZagaZags
01-15-2017, 12:48 AM
GU will take care of business and leave their mark.

http://www.1000recordings.com/images/artist-w/who-968-l.jpg

Next!

Zags11
01-15-2017, 12:51 AM
Hey serious note....what happened to zag77?

No, update by guboard.???

ZagaZags
01-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Hey serious note....what happened to zag77?

No, update by guboard.???

Not sure. I only heard about it in the make your $#%ing free throws thread. GU hit 75% tonight.

ZionZag
01-15-2017, 06:18 AM
:confused:

I'm confused also.....Maybe he's just up to late. My mon used to get that way when she was tired

JPtheBeasta
01-15-2017, 07:07 AM
I encourage that we just try to take it post by post, day by day. I don't want us looking ahead to the next big post and really just want to focus on the next- because every post counts at this stage of the season. A lot of guys put in extra work on their rhetoric in the off season and I think it is really starting starting to show. At least one of us was battling injury and was typing one-handed. That's the definition of a gamer.

If I get better every post, I expect big things out me on the boards this year, and I hope to continue to be aggressive and contribute to the boards. I have been working at just staying within my game and letting the posts come to me, and I really think it has been working for me this year.

I still have a lot to improve but I'm happy we still go the W. I really worked hard on my pre-Santa Clara posts and didn't want those to be trap-posts. I think I did a decent job but I need to work on my rhetoric and grammar- too many mistakes out there. Levity is more my game, so I'm glad there are people here who can step in with polemic when we need it. If I can cut down on my typos I think I can take my posts to a whole new level this year.

The good thing is that we post as a team and the other posters have really stepped up their game when it has been lacking elsewhere. Anybody can get it going on a given night and come out strong with a great stat, or bit of perspective that someone hadn't thought of before. I hate to be bulletin board material for other message boards, but this forum is Final Four good and has a chance to be the best ever if we believe in ourselves and stick together.

Mantua
01-15-2017, 07:40 AM
I encourage that we just trying to take it post by post, day by day. I don't want us looking ahead to the next big post and really just want to focus on the next- because every post counts at this stage of the season. A lot of guys put in extra work on their rhetoric in the off season and I think it is really starting starting to show. At least one of us was battling injury and was typing one-handed. That's the definition of a gamer.

If I get better every post, I expect big things out me on the boards this year, and I hope to continue to be aggressive and contribute to the boards. I have been working at just staying within my game and letting the posts come to me, and I really think it has been working for me this year.

I still have a lot to improve but I'm happy we still go the W. I really worked hard on my pre-Santa Clara posts and didn't want those to be trap-posts. I think I did a decent job but I need to work on my rhetoric and grammar- too many mistakes out there. Levity is more my game, so I'm glad there are people here who can step in with polemic when we need it. If I can cut down on my typos I think I can take my posts to a whole new level this year.

The good thing is that we post as a team and the other posters have really stepped up their game when it has been lacking elsewhere. Anybody can get it going on a given night and come out strong with a great stat, or bit of perspective that someone hadn't thought of before. I hate to be bulletin board material for other message boards, but this forum is Final Four good and has a chance to be the best ever if we believe in ourselves and stick together.

Your post is a big W.

:cool:

ZagLawGrad
01-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Frankly, it comes off as childish, and as a "holier than thou" way of treating other posters....

Sign of the times. And a small nucleus of posters having too much time on their hands.

ZagLawGrad
01-15-2017, 07:44 AM
...this forum is Final Four good and has a chance to be the best ever if we believe in ourselves and stick together.

Not sure about the forum, JP, but this team has a pretty good chance.

ZionZag
01-15-2017, 07:58 AM
I encourage that we just trying to take it post by post, day by day. I don't want us looking ahead to the next big post and really just want to focus on the next- because every post counts at this stage of the season. A lot of guys put in extra work on their rhetoric in the off season and I think it is really starting starting to show. At least one of us was battling injury and was typing one-handed. That's the definition of a gamer.

Thanks JP...Your right about those trap post but this childish and holier thing will go away as soon as we lose and then we will be allowed to talk about something Zag, beyond next Thursday game....remember one post at a time....drum roll......got something really neat about next Saturday's game but I'll promise to wait till FRIDAY!!!

TexasZagFan
01-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Sign of the times. And a small nucleus of posters having too much time on their hands.

Easy solution to that, assuming they're younger: make babies, and you'll never have to worry about having too much time on your hands.

There are benefits, of course. My daughter, two sons, and grandson joined me in a watch party last night.

SWZag
01-15-2017, 08:15 AM
I probably shouldn't even post in this thread, and I'm probably missing something, but where did this thread come from? Maybe someone can give us a little background as to what prompted the complaint? Thanks in advance!

Virginia Zags Fan
01-15-2017, 08:52 AM
JPtheBeasta has challenged us to up our post game. I, for one, will accept that challenge and will get dialed in. I do not want to let this board down, so I will work assiduously to introduce new new adjectives, and maybe even superlatives, into the post.

Besides, in the end, its the post season that really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonzagafan62
01-15-2017, 08:55 AM
I probably shouldn't even post in this thread, and I'm probably missing something, but where did this thread come from? Maybe someone can give us a little background as to what prompted the complaint? Thanks in advance!

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58695-Can-Gonzaga-win-the-whole-dang-thing

Possibly post 4?

Reborn
01-15-2017, 09:35 AM
This, to me, could be a really good thread, and I hope that people take time to think about what both CDC and JPthebeasta had to say. CDC is an icon here on GUboards. He is pretty wise when it comes to basketball and I'm sure that most bloggers here on this forum appreciate his perspective on both basketball as well as our team. I've also gotten to know JPthebeasta here and value his posts. I really like the one he just posted here. These two posts that I'm referring to are very different ideas on how to make GUboards a basketball forum that is elite. I believe that both of their posts, although different, can help me become a better contributor to this forum.

Personally, I believe that a good forum (a place where people come together to communicate about a specific topic, in our case basketball) has diversity, and our forum certainly has that. Zag fans who post here do need to have freedom to express themselves. And yet, as CDC says, we should not use our ideas and opinions to attack other posters who may have different and sometimes opposite ideas. I think that the worse thing that can happen here is that everyone thinks alike and communicates in a similar fashion. There are private group here that prefer to have closed groups where only certain people can join. If you have a desire for that and have not been invited to a private group, start your own. As for me I like an open forum where I get to meet all kinds of different people. IF YOU WANT TO BE HERE AND MAYBE DON'T LIKE SOMEONE, LIKE ME, you can use one of the tools here to keep any of my posts from appearing on your screen.

I think that a good way to handle CDC's ideas is that if you want to talk about a game in the future, and it is not about the team that the Zag play next, just start a thread about that game or about that team. If people don't want to talk about the BYU game just don't go to that thread to attack others. I think that CDC's idea that it's totally legitimate to talk about future games or future tournaments. And I also agree with JPthebeasta that it's a good idea to keep my focus on the next game. I try to remind myself that my ideas are mostly opinions, but not always. Sometimes I like to state facts. And there is a huge difference between facts and opinions. And that others can disagree with me, and that I can disagree with others.

JPthebeasta has some really good ideas on how to create a good post. Thank you, JP for sharing your ideas about that. I know that since I broke my shoulder my posts have been pretty sloppy. I apologize for that. I wanted to stay involved with this forum because it's been a part of my life for the last 15 years or so. There isn't much that a person with a broken shoulder can do, but I could continue to be involved here, as horrible as my posts were, if you would allow me to do so. Thank you for supporting me to continue to post here even in my sloppiness. Believe me. I WASN'T all that happy about my posts, and the amount of errors, and having way too many capital letters and grammar and spelling errors. But honestly that was the BEST that I could do. It was very painful to type, and so frustrating to make so many errors. Unfortunately I just couldn't correct them all. I'M actually a really good typist, so when I had to become a one fingered plucker it was so frustrating for me. It's been 9 weeks since my accident and i am certainly doing much better now. However full recovery is a long ways from today. And unfortunately I'm still a one fingered plucker, but in the 9 weeks i have gotten better, but it's still so slow and I still make way to many mistakes, but I am really trying to correct them. I have tried to keep my posts short because it takes so much time to make a post. I am sure a lot of you are grateful for that. THIS POST TOOK 2 HOURS TO TYPE. I feel it was worth the time because of the two posts i have mentioned here. I will try harder to make this a better basketball forum. And thank you to those of you WHO have supported me through a very tough time. I am through the worst part and am feeling pretty good. I can only just barely use my left hand or left arm, But each day it does get a tiny bit better. I'm hoping that in a month Ill be typing with ten fingers once again.

Again, thank you.

Go Zags!!!

Ekrub
01-15-2017, 09:50 AM

During season, attempting any discussion not related to that weeks game will prompt a 'Beat ________" from a number of posters. Kills the mood a bit, in my opinion.

ProVeeZag
01-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Huh? Seems like we're making a problem out of nothing. 16 wins, 0 losses Life is good!

gonzagafan62
01-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Huh? Seems like we're making a problem out of nothing. 16 wins, 0 losses Life is good!

17, even better. Don't sell us short :p go zags!

ProVeeZag
01-15-2017, 10:09 AM
17, even better. Don't sell us short :p go zags!

Seventeen? Life is REAL GOOD. (I realized my error shortly after posting, but intentionally didn't correct it. Wondered how long it would take to be pointed out. Folks, we have a winner, at the 3 minute mark.)

sittingon50
01-15-2017, 10:26 AM
I guess "We want Bama" is a non-starter, for a couple of reasons...

RenoZag
01-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Good post, reborn.

seacatfan
01-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Last year got pretty rough. Some frustrating losses, lots of posters sniping at each other on this forum. This year has been pretty easy and lots of fun by comparison.