PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Chargers

gu03alum
01-12-2017, 09:40 AM
I really hate to see them move from San Diego to LA. I'm glad that the city didn't build a new stadium. Professional sports teams and especially NFL teams are so rich now that they should be building their own stadiums.

CDC84
01-12-2017, 11:46 AM
I am really surprised by the move because Dean Spanos (Chargers owner) and Stan Kroenke (Rams owner) reportedly hate each other. The whole Inglewood stadium project is really being directed by Kroenke. Spanos will be playing second fiddle. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about conflict between the two organizations.

FYI - Dean Spanos is the son of Alex Spanos. Both are Pacific grads. The Spanos Center (Pacific's basketball arena) is obviously named after Dean's dad.

CDC84
01-12-2017, 12:04 PM
I just think it's nuts that the new L.A. stadium is going to cost $2.66 billion. Can you imagine what the ticket prices will be to see a game at that joint? Arrowhead Stadium in KC is still one of the finest places to see a football game on the planet. It cost 43 million to build in 1972 (246 million in 2017 dollars).

The days of a lower middle class family of four being able to see a NFL game are long gone. The new, super deluxe NFL stadiums have become places to entertain business clients.

sittingon50
01-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Just a thought; I assume there will be a game there every week. Since 2 teams are freighting the bill, might that help with costs--ticket prices?

CDC84
01-12-2017, 12:55 PM
A few other tidbits:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/chargers-fans-season-ticket-holders-loyalty-reaction-to-move-to-los-angeles-san-diego/18omfemthubn01p8pguvmy2tj9

It’s beyond debate that Qualcomm Stadium needed to be replaced. The Spanos’ inability to find a solution to their stadium issue is at least partly their responsibility, although their group and the league had pledged about $650 million to be invested in the project. But the fact only 43 percent of voters approved a tax to build a stadium and convention center — a tax that would have been levied entirely upon visitors to hotels and not on San Diego residents — suggests a majority of the community either was content to ignore the team altogether as non-football fans or perhaps to simply become telecommuter-type fans.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-chargers-plan-to-play-in-30000-seat-soccer-stadium-in-2017-2018/

It appears as though the Chargers will play the next 2 years at the 30,000 seat StubHub Center....which serves as the home of MLS' Los Angeles Galaxy. I wonder why they aren't using the Rose Bowl? Pasadena is only 10 miles from Los Angeles. On the other hand, it would be kind of cool to see a NFL game at a 30,000 seat stadium. Every seat in the house will be great for fans.

Just a thought; I assume there will be a game there every week. Since 2 teams are freighting the bill, might that help with costs--ticket prices?

It's also an enclosed stadium. The stadium will host all sorts of events, including future final fours in men's basketball.

webspinnre
01-12-2017, 01:39 PM
The other bizarre thing is that there aren't really many Chargers fans there.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/stadium/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

gu03alum
01-13-2017, 10:01 AM
The people of San Diego would still be responsible for the debt if the visitor tax didn't collect enough money. From what I read, it was probable that the tax payers would have to pay.

LongIslandZagFan
01-13-2017, 10:35 AM
The other bizarre thing is that there aren't really many Chargers fans there.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/stadium/la-sp-chargers-to-la-plaschke-20170111-story.html

Ouch.

seacatfan
01-13-2017, 01:39 PM
How many NFL teams have already left LA previously? Which of the current teams leaves first--Chargers or Rams? I don't see both hanging around indefinitely. And yet they keep luring franchises there.

gu03alum
01-14-2017, 06:12 AM
Jonah Keri: Chargers greed-driven LA move puzzling given several reasonable options to stay (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-greed-driven-l-a-move-puzzling-given-several-reasonable-options-to-stay/)

webspinnre
01-14-2017, 09:21 AM
How many NFL teams have already left LA previously? Which of the current teams leaves first--Chargers or Rams? I don't see both hanging around indefinitely. And yet they keep luring franchises there.

Rams aren't leaving. Kroenke is building a palace there for them.

webspinnre
01-14-2017, 09:24 AM
Jonah Keri: Chargers greed-driven LA move puzzling given several reasonable options to stay (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-greed-driven-l-a-move-puzzling-given-several-reasonable-options-to-stay/)

Solid piece. I love Jonah Keri - one of my favorite baseball writers.

TexasZagFan
01-14-2017, 03:01 PM
I just think it's nuts that the new L.A. stadium is going to cost $2.66 billion. Can you imagine what the ticket prices will be to see a game at that joint? Arrowhead Stadium in KC is still one of the finest places to see a football game on the planet. It cost 43 million to build in 1972 (246 million in 2017 dollars).

The days of a lower middle class family of four being able to see a NFL game are long gone. The new, super deluxe NFL stadiums have become places to entertain business clients.

CDC, I'd say my family is middle-middle class. Our major asset is the equity we have in our house. We went to a game the first year JerryWorld opened. End zone seats, four levels up, the cost for five tickets alone was $800 (7-8 years ago), or more than half of a monthly mortgage payment.

A more reasonable option is a Party Pass ticket, where you can sit at one of the many sports bars on the concourse, i.e. you pay $40 for the "experience" and the opportunity to buy $15 beers.

Yeah, that one time was enough for me.

CDC84
01-16-2017, 12:30 AM
I understand that times have changed, but I miss the days when Three Rivers Stadium in the 70's used to be filled up with steel workers and other folks that just lived or died with the Steelers. Every person in that stadium was into the game.

gonstu
01-17-2017, 08:56 AM
I will be curious to see how many SD chargers fans continue to follow the team in LA. I will not. I would say about 80% of the people I talk to also say they will not. They are picking a new favorite team or just following players, the league in general. We'll see if that changes next year when the season actually starts.