PDA

View Full Version : And then there was one

gonzagafan62
01-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Gonzaga only team left in college basketball undefeated.

seacatfan
01-10-2017, 05:14 PM
NOW the hype train for GU might be about to leave the station.

gonzagafan62
01-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Right you are. Being the last undefeated means basically nothing in march but it IS a great honor to be he last one for a change

bartruff1
01-10-2017, 05:22 PM
It was inevitable given that the others had a much more difficult conference schedules ...

CDC84
01-10-2017, 05:28 PM
I still don't feel the hype train is really going to take off until GU proves it can beat BYU on the road. Then the press will be looking at that St. Mary's game in Moraga as the last great obstacle......

I just hope that when GU drops one (that is, if they do), they don't perform like Baylor did tonight.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-10-2017, 05:32 PM
NOW the hype train for GU might be about to leave the station.

More like the anti-hype train as most will overlook Zags and mock the weak WCC while commentating Zags would not be unbeaten if they played in a half decent conference. It's a legit argument but can also serve to give Zags extra motivation.

bartruff1
01-10-2017, 05:46 PM
I don't think this team will have much trouble with the hype.....they came here to win and expected to win and I think they will be fine...

Some of the fans....well....not so much..

MontanaCoyote
01-10-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't think this team will have much trouble with the hype.....they came here to win and expected to win and I think they will be fine...

Some of the fans....well....not so much..

Agreed. This team has some real mental and street toughness in it. I think they're fighters. If we avoid injuries and take care of the ball........watch out!

Once and Future Zag
01-10-2017, 06:11 PM
More like the anti-hype train as most will overlook Zags and mock the weak WCC while commentating Zags would not be unbeaten if they played in a half decent conference. It's a legit argument but can also serve to give Zags extra motivation.

The WCC is #11 out of 32 conferences (per KenPom) it IS a half-decent conference.

CDC84
01-10-2017, 06:15 PM
And the Florida and Arizona wins are looking better and better........

TexasZagFan
01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
And the Florida and Arizona wins are looking better and better........

Don't forget Iowa State...

TexasZagFan
01-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Gonzaga only team left in college basketball undefeated.

Men's basketball, that is, but we knew that.

gonzagafan62
01-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Men's basketball, that is, but we knew that.

LOL.

MickMick
01-10-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm too mesmerized by Goss to get caught up in how #1 envy will cause "blueblood" fans to trash GU's schedule.

Goss is a godsend and it is easy to ignore the noise when you have a stud like that on the team.

I recall the shock of Syracuse and Utah fans when they discovered how dominant of a player Sabonis was.

Wait until folks get a load of Goss.

TexasZagFan
01-10-2017, 07:20 PM
I'm too mesmerized by Goss to get caught up in how #1 envy will cause "blueblood" fans to trash GU's schedule.

Goss is a godsend and it is easy to ignore the noise when you have a stud like that on the team.

I recall the shock of Syracuse and Utah fans when they discovered how dominant of a player Sabonis was.

This team may be starting something scary-good. They've now played 15 games together, and our rotations are set. We're only going to get better from here.

Think about it: we have five new players in our eight man rotation. JW3, NWD, Matthews, and Tillie/Collins coming off the bench. Takes time to fit the pieces together, and I can't recall the last time we were set like this at midseason. The only question seems to remain if Rui will get enough minutes to become the 9th man in the rotation. Not sure that's a consideration at this point.

Zagdawg
01-10-2017, 08:15 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/01/10/ending-perfection-team-that-nearly-beat-both-gonzaga-and-baylor-gives-their-thoughts/

Zagceo
01-10-2017, 08:20 PM
It was inevitable given that the others had a much more ENTERTAINING conference schedules ...

Fixed it

CDC84
01-10-2017, 08:56 PM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...heir-thoughts/

One thing that is going to be regularly mentioned if this streak keeps continuing is how Iowa State had a chance to beat GU with a shot at the end. Every time somebody says that, we need to send the author that pic that someone posted of the ISU three point shooter. The ball had not left his hand when the backboard lit up and the clock hit zero. It wouldn't have counted.

I agree with Prohm. I am surprised that more teams don't use a token press against the Zags more often to slow the game down and eat time off the shot clock.

Zag365
01-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Agree bart. As others have said this team has a something-to-prove chip for several reasons. They.want.to,show.the.skeptics.the.Zags.are.really .good. Being the only undefeated left will only increase the motivation to come to win every night. There will be no complacency that might otherwise set in if they weren't in the national conversation every week.

cggonzaga
01-10-2017, 10:31 PM

+1

MDABE80
01-11-2017, 01:02 AM
I have a feeling that this team will get stronger as the challenges get bigger. Two very functional 7 footers and JW3 with Tillie mean strength down under no matter who is guarding them. Guards are solid. Josh needs to pick his game back up in this regard. Lots of speed. Big team. Now is the time to push things. I don't think we'll get no 1 ranking because we're undefeated. I suspect everyone but Baylor will simply move up.......and less we dominate SMC ( I kinda doubt that'll happen) but we'll get a V.
We're on the 1 line so it's going to interesting. I'm thinking the 1-4's will lose soon . Get out the shields though, the criticisms will begin re league strength. Those top 5 leagues won't be welcoming. All eyes will be watching from here on in.

WallaWallaZag
01-11-2017, 03:08 AM
I agree with Prohm. I am surprised that more teams don't use a token press against the Zags more often to slow the game down and eat time off the shot clock.

you have to have the personnel to do it...takes up energy so you better have a deep bench...

TexasZagFan
01-11-2017, 04:52 AM
you have to have the personnel to do it...takes up energy so you better have a deep bench...

Against this year's Zags, it's a case of "pick your poison". The thing that's killed us in big games has been scoreless streaks lasting 5+ minutes. With Karno & Zach down low, you're getting high percentage shots, and you better not go to sleep on JW3 or Tillie. There are two deadly 3 point shooters at the 2 & 3, and NWG can create his own shot. Silas is a slasher who loves to take it to the hoop, too, while his 3 point percentage is on the rise.

To beat the Zags, they need to have an off night offensively, and you're going to have to be efficient from 3 point. Only other concern is turnovers, but I think that's getting under control too,

WallaWallaZag
01-11-2017, 05:00 AM
Against this year's Zags, it's a case of "pick your poison". The thing that's killed us in big games has been scoreless streaks lasting 5+ minutes. With Karno & Zach down low, you're getting high percentage shots, and you better not go to sleep on JW3 or Tillie. There are two deadly 3 point shooters at the 2 & 3, and NWG can create his own shot. Silas is a slasher who loves to take it to the hoop, too, while his 3 point percentage is on the rise.

To beat the Zags, they need to have an off night offensively, and you're going to have to be efficient from 3 point. Only other concern is turnovers, but I think that's getting under control too,

not sure what this has to do with opponents putting a token press on the zags to milk some time off the shot clock???

TexasZagFan
01-11-2017, 05:05 AM
not sure what this has to do with opponents putting a token press on the zags to milk some time off the shot clock???

A "token" press is a waste of time. With the ability of the Zags to pass the ball, you can get it into Karno before he can be double teamed. Illustrating the folly of this tactic. Shot clock means nothing when you have multiple players on the court able to create their own shot. Few's gotten on a few guys lately for passing up open shots.

zagamatic
01-11-2017, 05:36 AM
Here's the thing with implementation of a press, 7 of 8 main rotation players are all capable of breaking the press on their own and the 8th, Karnowski, is more than capable of making the correct pass to beat the press. Sure, we'll see teams press from time to time, but I seriously doubt that any team will employ it for the majority of the game unless it's normal for them.
As far as going undefeated during the regular season and / or the post season, YES, it would be a heckuva feat to go undefeated during the regular season and truly special to win it all going undefeated. However, if the Zags do suffer a loss, I just don't want it to hurt their confidence that leads to blowing games they know that they should win. Instead, use it for motivation to take it to the next team.

Bogozags
01-11-2017, 05:52 AM
I have seen WVU play four times this season and their FC pressure is a problem for most all teams they have faced. Their press forces and uptempo game and 26 turnovers from BU...that is a lot of TO's! That press prevented the from getting into their HC offence and forced many bad decisions, causing numerous TO's. GU likes to play uptempo but only when we have the advantage. All our guards are excellent ball handlers and passers so not sure how effective that type of press would be against us. To nullify a press, the team being pressed needs to score on that press. WVU had 16 more opportunities to score points because of BU TO's, which allowed them to build on their lead. Pressing teams don't normally like to be pressed either...they struggle but not sure we have the quickness needed by all five players to put on a FC press for "40 minutes of Hell" like Richardsons' teams at UA. I doubt playing against WVU regardless of where we play them, would have 26 TO's and I believe we would also cause them to turn it over more than 10 times.

There are no teams in WCC that can press us successfully (IMO) and we have an excellent HC offence and defence, which is why are so dangerously good this year...our bench doesn't hurt us either...

Kenpom realizes this also, which is why they give us a good chance of finishing the regular season undefeated...the only piece of this game is that the TEAM execute...

I wonder how many of your remember Cornbread Maxwell! He was a pretty fair player for UNC-Charlotte and the Celtics. Rose's staff were pretty savvy by using their 6'8" PF to bring up the ball against teams pressing them. This might well work even today with all four of our big men being pretty proficient in ball handling...I wonder if our staff remembers the success Cornbread had against the press...

Birddog
01-11-2017, 06:24 AM
I wonder how many of your remember Cornbread Maxwell! He was a pretty fair player for UNC-Charlotte and the Celtics. Rose's staff were pretty savvy by using their 6'8" PF to bring up the ball against teams pressing them. This might well work even today with all four of our big men being pretty proficient in ball handling...I wonder if our staff remembers the success Cornbread had against the press..

Cornbread One of the all time great sports nicknames.

Maxwell received the nickname "Cornbread" from his college teammate Melvin Watkins after the pair went to see the movie Cornbread, Earl and Me,[2] in which a 12-year-old boy is traumatized by the murder of his friend, a star basketball player. Watkins thought that Maxwell looked like the title character (played by Jamaal Wilkes) and so began calling him Cornbread. Since Maxwell did not like the nickname, it did not gain widespread use until Maxwell was named MVP of the NIT tournament in 1976, when, according to Watkins, "The New York media picked up on [the nickname]."

Another good one

Maxwell came under fire for comments he made on the air during a game in 2007. Unhappy with the officiating of referee Violet Palmer, he told listeners that Palmer should "go back to the kitchen" and "make me some bacon and eggs". Maxwell apologized during a subsequent broadcast.[1]

thegloriousgoateeofKP
01-11-2017, 08:52 AM
*recency bias alert* but.... I think this is an even cooler accomplishment than reaching #1 in the rankings back in 2013. Don't get me wrong, both are awesome. But last undefeated team!? I feel like the nation's eyes are upon us now more than they were back then. Incredible. Let's keep this thing rolling as long as we can, eh?

zag buddy
01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
We are the only team in America D-1 undefeated. Congratulation Zags your work has paid off. The joining of many many efforts combine for such a result. Congratulation to each and every individual who has played a part over the last year.

TexasZagFan
01-11-2017, 10:24 AM
*recency bias alert* but.... I think this is an even cooler accomplishment than reaching #1 in the rankings back in 2013. Don't get me wrong, both are awesome. But last undefeated team!? I feel like the nation's eyes are upon us now more than they were back then. Incredible. Let's keep this thing rolling as long as we can, eh?

As one of the elder statesmen on this board, I say let's enjoy this journey for all its worth. We're at the halfway point of the regular season, and it's flown by. Our team is jelling, and getting better day by day.

Any reticence I show is designed to avoid overconfidence, but this is a special team.

Zagger
01-11-2017, 10:56 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0109%2Fncb_mascots_1296x51 8.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

Short but sweet press on ESPN: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18436283/college-basketball-season-far-duke-duke-more-duke

TexasZagFan
01-11-2017, 11:22 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0109%2Fncb_mascots_1296x51 8.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin

Short but sweet press on ESPN: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18436283/college-basketball-season-far-duke-duke-more-duke

Already covered on this thread: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58646-An-(illustrated)-look-into-the-college-basketball-season

I like Duke's boot sticking out in trip mode.

ProVeeZag
01-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Already covered on this thread: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58646-An-(illustrated)-look-into-the-college-basketball-season

With "Stars" highlighting it no less! :roll:

ProVeeZag
01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Agree 100%. As sure as there is a Monday in every week, there will be a #1 ranked team. But at this point in the season, GU is unique in being the only remaining undefeated team. Rank us where you wish, 15-0 is a fact, not an opinion.

kitzbuel
01-12-2017, 08:53 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/g3ib1.jpg

WallaWallaZag
01-12-2017, 04:19 PM
I have seen WVU play four times this season and their FC pressure is a problem for most all teams they have faced. Their press forces and uptempo game and 26 turnovers from BU...that is a lot of TO's! That press prevented the from getting into their HC offence and forced many bad decisions, causing numerous TO's. GU likes to play uptempo but only when we have the advantage. All our guards are excellent ball handlers and passers so not sure how effective that type of press would be against us. To nullify a press, the team being pressed needs to score on that press. WVU had 16 more opportunities to score points because of BU TO's, which allowed them to build on their lead. Pressing teams don't normally like to be pressed either...they struggle but not sure we have the quickness needed by all five players to put on a FC press for "40 minutes of Hell" like Richardsons' teams at UA. I doubt playing against WVU regardless of where we play them, would have 26 TO's and I believe we would also cause them to turn it over more than 10 times.

i'm not sure i trust perkins handling the ball right now...he just seems to make a lot of unforced errors considering he is no longer the primary ballhandler with nwg here. maybe it's just a bad couple of games, but overall turnovers seem to be a potential achilles heel for this zag team...smc doesn't force a lot of turnovers though.

zag67
01-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Yes, I will agree that Josh had two bad games in turnovers. But, I believe that we will see better from Perkins. I think like has been stated he was sick and was not all there. Lets see how the next week goes before judging.
GO Zags

Reborn
01-12-2017, 05:15 PM
As a child, I used to like to play King of the Mountain.It was a great feeling when you finally got to be the King, but everyone wanted to knock you off. Gonzaga is now King of the Mountain, and everyone will be trying to knock them off. I believe that in general, fans across the USA are pulling for us. I also believe many pundants are pulling for us too. I watch a lot of games and every announcer or analyst believes GU has a legitimate chance of making it to the FINAL 4. So i really don't buy into this "no one likes GU BECAUSE THEY'RE IN THE WCC." Sure some believe that, but their voices are not as loud. I also don't think the Zag players play with a chip on their shoulder. They don't need to. I think they know they're good. I played on 2 undefeated teams in HS. Being undefeated never hurt us, but actually our confidence grew with each victory. A time came when WE began to believe that we could go undefeated.