PDA

View Full Version : Football National Title Game: Clemson vs. Alabama

CDC84
01-09-2017, 09:09 PM
My enthusiasm for football is not what it used to be due to all of the recent health issues related to the sport that have come out in recent years. However, tonight's national title game was one heck of a game.

It was also a game whose result was probably good for the sport.

Alabama fans may disagree, but I do not feel that having one team dominate a sport like the Crimson Tide have in recent times (in college football) is healthy for a sport's popularity. Although I don't think the level of domination is anyway similar, it just feels as though UConn's domination of women's college basketball has killed their sport.

What's the point of even tuning in when you know the result already?

If 'Bama had won this game tonight - and especially in a dominating fashion - I think a lot of radio talk shows tomorrow morning outside of Tuscaloosa would have hosts questioning how good it is for one team to be dominating the show that much. Especially in a sport that is so freaking popular as football.

sittingon50
01-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Like the Clemson coach, not the Alabama coach.

Good result.

seacatfan
01-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Yep, very happy 'Bama didn't add another championship. Ditto, I like the Clemson coach.

CDC84
01-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Did you know that Nick Saban makes almost 7 million per year in salary alone? That doesn't even include endorsements, speaking engagements, etc. Cost of living is dirt cheap in Alabama as well, although I would imagine tornado insurance costs a few bucks.

sittingon50
01-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Any way Saban jumps at another NFL job?

LongIslandZagFan
01-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Rather enjoyed seeing the sad stunned faces of the Bama fans who had all assumed the NC was a done deal.

seacatfan
01-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Any way Saban jumps at another NFL job?

I certainly don't know, but why would he? He's a king, practically a god at 'Bama. In the NFL you have one mediocre or bad season and you're out. No salary cap or free agency to deal with, he can stockpile as much talent as he wants. They're gonna be in the top 5 for recruiting every single year. How many NFL teams are going to pay him as much as he's making now? Unless it's an ego thing, I don't see any upside to him leaving his current position to take another shot at the NFL.

LongIslandZagFan
01-10-2017, 11:10 AM
I certainly don't know, but why would he? He's a king, practically a god at 'Bama. In the NFL you have one mediocre or bad season and you're out. No salary cap or free agency to deal with, he can stockpile as much talent as he wants. They're gonna be in the top 5 for recruiting every single year. How many NFL teams are going to pay him as much as he's making now? Unless it's an ego thing, I don't see any upside to him leaving his current position to take another shot at the NFL.

Agree... My gut also says Chip Kelly will be in the college ranks soon and will probably stay there. His coaching style, IMHO, just doesn't work right in the NFL.

CDC84
01-11-2017, 09:43 AM
It is to my understanding that Chip Kelly HATES recruiting. I mean really hates it to the point where he would rather be a quarterbacks coach in the NFL than return to the college game.

Most people seem to think he's going to take a year off. Maybe reevaluate his offensive system and try to be an offensive coordinator in the NFL. He doesn't have to worry about money. The 49ers have to pay off his contract. He obviously made a bundle at Oregon that's probably still in the bank as well.

There has been some talk about him coming to Cal. I don't think it's going to occur. The Cal athletic dept. is in a constant state of financial crisis, and the university has now stiffened their entrance requirements for student-athletes. You must have a 3.0 or higher GPA to get an athletic schoolie (like Stanford, Cal will lower their standards for athletes, but there is now a minimum requirement). That is going to make recruiting good football players even tougher.....and recruiting is something Chip hates doing.