PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga Baseball Adds Two to Recent Signing Class

TerpZag
01-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Baseball Adds Two to Recent Signing Class

Alek Jacob, Colin Suter will join the Bulldogs for 2018 season

Jan. 9, 2017

SPOKANE, Wash.--Gonzaga baseball head coach Mark Machtolf announced the addition of Alek Jacob and Colin Suter to the Bulldogs' 2018 roster on Monday.

Alek Jacob | RHP | Spokane, Wash.

Jacob will stay home to play collegiate ball. The Spokane native has started for North Central each of the last three seasons, twice being named First Team All-Greater Spokane League. Last year as a junior, he led the league in strikeouts and earned Second Team All-State honors. Over the summer, he played for the Spokane Expos, tossing a four-hit shutout against the Spokane Dodgers.

Why Jacob chose Gonzaga: "Playing baseball at Gonzaga has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. Now that I have learned more about the program and met the coaching staff, I am even more excited to live out my dream. Gonzaga feels like a great fit for my baseball and academic future."

Coach Machtolf on Jacob: "We are very excited to have a great local product in Alek Jacob on board with the Zags. Alek will remind a lot of Zag fans of current righty Wyatt Mills and former closer David Bigelow. He has a chance to make an impact early in his career."

Colin Suter | RHP | Bellevue, Wash.

Suter has spent four years in Bellevue High School's baseball program, playing for the varsity squad since 2015. As a junior in 2016, he posted a 2.33 ERA with a strikeout/walk ratio of 8/3, earning All-League honors. He also led his summer ball team, Boys of Summer, in ERA last year, and he pitched for the Mariners' Scout Team in the Arizona Fall Classic.

Why Suter chose Gonzaga: "I chose Gonzaga because I wanted to continue my baseball career at a school that I would be happy attending even if I wasn't playing. The atmosphere and community at GU is very special, and I know it will be a good fit for me."

Coach Machtolf on Suter: "Colin is a very projectable pitcher who we think has a chance to really flourish when he gets to campus. He comes from one of the top summer programs in the state, and we think his profile as a student-athlete really fits who we are looking for." "

Jacob and Suter join seven others - McKabe Cottrell, Matthew Henckel, Mason Martin, Mason Millett Carsen Negrete, Austin Pinorini, and Michael Spellacy - as the Bulldogs' 2017 signing class. All nine incoming Zags will begin play in 2018, although this year's Bulldog squad will begin the 2017 campaign on Feb. 17 against Indiana in Surprise, Arizona.

Gonzaga Article Link (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/010917aaa.html)

hondo
01-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Could Colin be Billy Suter's grandson?