• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 23dpg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Zags stay at #5 in AP poll

Read the latest college basketball news. Keep up with college basketball rankings, scores, and stats of your favorite players and teams, all on AP News.

Seems about right.
    Birds aren’t real.
  • MontanaCoyote
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
    Yep, for now.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Seth Davis has some explainin' to do, and not just about dropping the Zags to 6th:

Read the latest college basketball news. Keep up with college basketball rankings, scores, and stats of your favorite players and teams, all on AP News.

OTOH, Dickie V has the Zags third, I think he's getting on the NWG train.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

No complaints here. I believe GU is a top 10 team, just not sure where in that top 10. If we beat SMC convincingly (by, say, 15), i might feel stronger about a placement inside the top 5.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

JMHO... they can keep doing this. It just puts that much bigger of a chip on this team's shoulders. They have done nothing but NOT lose and don't get any credit for it.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            JMHO... they can keep doing this. It just puts that much bigger of a chip on this team's shoulders. They have done nothing but NOT lose and don't get any credit for it.
            I'd say our resume (so far) is pretty stout, up to this weekend's game with SMC. Our two games with them, and the BYU game in Utah, are the Big 3 in my book. After last weekend, it's apparent that only bad weather can hold us back.

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Seth Davis has some explainin' to do, and not just about dropping the Zags to 6th:
              Below is Seth's explanation for his voting. There is nothing mentioned about the Zags, but I can tell you from previous experience that he tends to not move the Zags up just because they win and the BCS elites lose. He doesn't believe in punishing, for example, a #4 ranked UNC team that was beaten on the road by some team ranked in the top 10 just because the Zags beat two 200+ RPI teams in WCC play.

As I said above, I have nothing against Baylor. I don’t assemble my ballot based on “résumé.” I take into account what teams have done all season long, place a heavy emphasis on how they have performed the last few weeks, and then I step back, assess the big picture, and put them in order of who I think is better. So if you try to make a case that Baylor should be ranked No. 1 because of how many top-25 kenpom.com teams it has beaten, I’m not going to be persuaded. If you want to say that in a seven game series you would put every dollar you own on Baylor to beat any of the teams I have ranked above it (and several that are ranked below, for that matter), then by all means, have at it. All in all, it was a pretty boring weekend. There were no top-25 upsets. You could make a compelling case that Villanova should still be No. 1 despite losing at Butler, but I like the notion of dropping a team from the top spot if it loses. Keeps things interesting.

You’ll also notice that West Virginia moved from No. 9 to No. 8 despite its loss by one point in overtime at Texas Tech. I didn’t purposely reward the Mountaineers—they moved up because I felt I needed to drop Wisconsin after their poor performance at Purdue on Sunday. But I didn’t think it was right to punish them for losing such a close game on the road.

Purdue’s beat-down of Wisconsin helped Minnesota’s cause since the Golden Gophers had just won at Purdue in overtime last week. They followed that up by winning on Thursday at Northwestern (which proved it is no pushover by winning at Nebraska on Sunday). I’ve seen Minnesota play a couple of games, and they certainly look like a tourney team to me. They’ve got a pair of high-scoring young guards in Nate Mason and Amir Coffey, and they play some mean D.
              BTW - as mentioned elsewhere, I don't think Baylor's stay at #1 is going to last long. They have an incredibly difficult road game tomorrow at #10 West Virginia which is a really difficult arena to play in. And it's a long flight. And the Bears have been running on fumes trying to keep their unblemished record going. There's no doubt they would have lost both games last week if they had been on the road.

Comment

• sittingon50
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Coaches Poll:

Weekly results from the USA TODAY Sports NCAA Men’s College Basketball coaches poll, conducted weekly using a panel of head coaches at Division I schools.
                But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2011

Surprised USC is still in Top 25 (tied with Kansas State). Speaking of K State, all they did was have Kansas on the ropes in the Jayhawks' arena until refs turned a blind eye to the 4-step, 25 foot no-travel no-call with under 3 seconds left. K State should have just 1 loss. They got hosed.
                  "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                  —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Nice little article about Coach Drew and the job he has done since taking over at Baylor. When he arrived, the program was an absolute dumpster fire:

Comment

• 23dpg
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Coaches drop Gonzaga from 4th to 5th. Still ok with it.

Find the 2023-24 NCAAM rankings on ESPN, including the Coaches and AP poll for the top 25 NCAAM teams.
                      Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                        Coaches drop Gonzaga from 4th to 5th. Still ok with it.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
                        There are at least 8 really solid teams in the Big 12, at least 6 of the 10 should make the Dance. Wouldn't be surprised if15-3 is the winner of the conference. Definitely rooting for Iowa State to move up in the standings.

Saturday's game with SMC will determine if we crack the top 5. My sense is that we're continuing to play as if we're the hunter. I like it when Coach Few gets on the players for passing up open shots. Rebounding woes have been dealt with, though I'm still nervous about Saturday.

Comment

• Zagger
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

A bit of a roundup here:
                          Baylor is poised to sit atop the college basketball rankings for the first time in program history when the AP poll is released Monday.

Written yesterday but applies .... I like this part
                          “Then it’s fact, right, if Lunardi says it,” cracked ESPN college basketball analyst Seth Greenberg. “I don’t want to say this is anybody’s best team, but I would think this is (coach) Mark Few’s most compete team, especially in relation to the rest of the country.

“I think he has a special team. He’s got size, experience, shot-making and versatility with his lineup. The versatility, I mean he has skill and athleticism in the frontcourt and the backcourt.”

Comment

• Fonebone
                            Kennel Club
                            • Feb 2007

In general, I tend to agree with what Seth Davis says below. It seems like a fair way to approach it.

As I said above, I have nothing against Baylor. I don’t assemble my ballot based on “résumé.” I take into account what teams have done all season long, place a heavy emphasis on how they have performed the last few weeks, and then I step back, assess the big picture, and put them in order of who I think is better. So if you try to make a case that Baylor should be ranked No. 1 because of how many top-25 kenpom.com teams it has beaten, I’m not going to be persuaded. If you want to say that in a seven game series you would put every dollar you own on Baylor to beat any of the teams I have ranked above it (and several that are ranked below, for that matter), then by all means, have at it. All in all, it was a pretty boring weekend. There were no top-25 upsets. You could make a compelling case that Villanova should still be No. 1 despite losing at Butler, but I like the notion of dropping a team from the top spot if it loses. Keeps things interesting.

Comment

• MontanaCoyote
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2015

I don't think Baylor is a better team than us anyway. I really don't. I think they look better than they really are, and that opponents will start picking their flaws apart. Thinking they lose no less than 4 games.

Comment

Working...
                              X