PDA

View Full Version : Bud Withers latest

sittingon50
01-06-2017, 07:30 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/287573/the-romar-conundrum-whats-the-endgame-at

TexasZagFan
01-06-2017, 07:55 PM
wow...

webspinnre
01-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Bud is the best.

Zag_Dad
01-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Even the local die-hard Husky fans in the Seattle area that I know are done defending Romar. The comments have shifted from "they'll give him one more year because of the incoming class" to "will they wait till the end of this season to fire him or actually fire him mid-season".
By all reports Romar is a great guy. Unfortunately, that isn't necessarily part of the job description for a Head coach.

MickMick
01-06-2017, 08:27 PM
"Roll ball" Romar.

Bring in the big names, roll the ball out, and let the mercenary AAU coaches do the teaching.

Problem is, club coaches typically have a singular purpose in their coaching history: Successfully showcase talent to keep the pipeline rolling. It is no coincidence that UW has basically assumed that role. Club ball is the epitome of advocating player selfishness or in other words, teaching "teamwork" that is somehow spelled with the letter "I".

Look at GU's coaching pipeline. Former college assistants, young prospects groomed "in house", and former GU players. Young people groomed over a long period of time or seasoned assistant coaches (on occasion, former head coaches) with a proven track record from college programs.

Not club coaches. No coaching hires intended exclusively for the purpose of expanding access to recruits, but coaching hires based upon candidate knowledge of all the aspects of the college game including technique, motivation, and recruiting, or if not, then otherwise a known commodity from the GU family that can be trusted to invest the time needed for proper grooming.

This....appears to be the difference between Few and many other college coaches.

Few can just as capably deliver players into the pro ranks and let them enjoy a little post season fun on their way there. There is no bigger beacon on the West Coast for graduate transfers, or transfers in general, than GU.

U Zig, I Zag
01-06-2017, 08:43 PM
The Porter dad thing seems sketchy as hell. But that's not much of an issue anymore.

Outraged
01-06-2017, 08:54 PM
I have to ask "what do I see in all of this" I see transfers. (rather than dead people). Lets focus on what has worked for us in the past and welcome any opportunity that may arise and wish everyone the best possible outcome.

hooter73
01-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Boom. Head shot from Bud. Romar's ability to retain himself, and usually only himself, is a thing of wonder and amazement.

Outraged
01-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Boom. Head shot from Bud. Romar's ability to retain himself, and usually only himself, is a thing of wonder and amazement.

Guys, lets take a moment of thanks for all the talent that UW has tranferred to us. Why do we want this to end? He is like one of our best recruiters. Keep the pipeline open! Why close it? Please think about the big picture!

Zagricultural
01-06-2017, 11:13 PM
Guys, lets take a moment of thanks for all the talent that UW has tranferred to us. Why do we want this to end? He is like one of our best recruiters. Keep the pipeline open! Why close it? Please think about the big picture!

Ha my thoughts as well! I love it when UW stinks! Please keep Romar!

Virginia Zags Fan
01-07-2017, 05:24 AM
Seriously. Can you imagine what Randy Bennet would do with UW talent? I hope Romar stays!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZionZag
01-07-2017, 05:47 AM

Ya, I couldn't help but wonder what was going through the heads of ALL the Husky players as the Zags were slapping them around last month......Especially the ones we spent time recruiting

tyra
01-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Not to wax too philosophically here, but in some ways, this "hire the parent" story is a metaphor for culture -- all standards of ethical behavior are either blurring or disappearing. This thing stinks, prima facia, and yet is straight-facedly rationalized. Remind you of anything?

kitzbuel
01-07-2017, 06:29 AM
There is always talk about Romar's ability to get players into the NBA. The kids he recruits are going to the NBA regardless of who recruited them.

Sacre, Olynyk, Wiltjer; all players who realistically would not have seen the NBA without the development they got at GU.

Few puts players into the NBA. Romar gets NBA players.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hoopaholic
01-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Not to wax too philosophically here, but in some ways, this "hire the parent" story is a metaphor for culture -- all standards of ethical behavior are either blurring or disappearing. This thing stinks, prima facia, and yet is straight-facedly rationalized. Remind you of anything?

Exactly

azzagfan
01-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Really, their perfect solution would be to hire Brandon Roy. He was a heck of a player and competitor and has NBA clout. You won't lose the recruits and I have to believe he would be a better game manager, competitor and Xs and Os guy than Romar has been the past half decade.

TexasZagFan
01-07-2017, 06:50 AM
There is always talk about Romar's ability to get players into the NBA. The kids he recruits are going to the NBA regardless of who recruited them.

Sacre, Olynyk, Wiltjer; all players who realistically would not have seen the NBA without the development they got at GU.

The new basketball training facility will be a huge advantage to bring in players like Zach Collins in the future. The face of college basketball is changing, i.e. the preparation off the court that goes into every game. You see it in the praise that Domas gets in OKC, i.e. the amount of time he spends in the film room.

Having Burger Boys like Zach and NWG are great, but our coaching staff does a great job in developing young talent.

hooter73
01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Ya, I couldn't help but wonder what was going through the heads of ALL the Husky players as the Zags were slapping them around last month......Especially the ones we spent time recruiting

I've thought the same thing.

john montana
01-07-2017, 09:25 AM
The whole porter thing stinks. Kid can play though. Watched him at the les Schwab and he is a beast. Dirty situation though.

MDABE80
01-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Very insightful. Short but very meaningful post. Tyra.. Well done.

bballbeachbum
01-07-2017, 12:46 PM

wax away Plato, sweet post

Bogozags
01-07-2017, 01:28 PM

Excellent! And it is such a shame too!

DixieZag
01-07-2017, 03:04 PM
I hate the thought, but Randy Bennet makes perfect sense for them to replace Romar. The people who say Roy probably know more than me, but isn't that awfully high up for a first time coaching position?

If I were Ath Dir, seems like a "no lose" choice like Bennet makes perfect sense.

Assuming he'd be willing to leave. UW could probably double his salary. Hope he doesn't leave, though.

Zagger
01-07-2017, 03:06 PM

Yep

TexasZagFan
01-07-2017, 03:25 PM
I hate the thought, but Randy Bennet makes perfect sense for them to replace Romar. The people who say Roy probably know more than me, but isn't that awfully high up for a first time coaching position?

If I were Ath Dir, seems like a "no lose" choice like Bennet makes perfect sense.

Assuming he'd be willing to leave. UW could probably double his salary. Hope he doesn't leave, though.

UW could quadruple his salary, I don't think Bennett's making more than 600K per year.

seacatfan
01-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Isaiah Thomas, Bobby Jones, Justin Holiday, Will Conroy, Nate Robinson. Raise your hand if you had any of them pegged as NBA players when they were in high school. Or even during their college career for that matter. Sorry to shoot holes in that theory posted above, but it's wrong.

Roy is a few games into his first season of coaching HS basketball. He's off to a great start, but jumping straight to a Power 5 conference college job seems way to soon.

CDC84
01-07-2017, 09:11 PM
How would you like to be an assistant coach at a high major D-1 program and have some goof ball Dad come in who has ZERO experience coaching men's basketball at a organized level and have that guy make nearly double what you make?

It's a true sign that your basketball program is broken.

I agree with Withers' conclusion.....that Romar should be evaluated based not on what he's bringing in next year, but on how his team gets better this season. However, as Bud implied, UW's athletic dept. is in the red, and they may not be able to buy out Romar's contract which is good thru 2020. Also, if you hand him a pink slip, the recruits will almost certainly ask to leave.

The only way Randy Bennett is going anywhere is if you pay him more than Lorenzo Romar is making right now. UNLV tried to offer Randy something along the lines of 1.5 to 2 million a year. He didn't even interview. I have seen enough to know by now that Randy isn't leaving SMC unless the situation is good and he gets paid big time. Much bigger than what UNLV offered. UW is going to have to come up with the bucks to buy out Romar and make RB one of the best paid coaches in the Pac 12. I don't think it's going to happen. I think he will remain but be put on notice that unless next year's bunch does something, he could be done.

Rival oaches might pick up on that and start using it against Romar in the 2018 and 2019 recruiting wars.

maynard g krebs
01-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Actually that's not true at all. I just looked up the 15 Romar/UW players who made an NBA roster. One top 10-Hawes. Two more 5 stars in Brockman/Wroten. Five guys in the 25-50 range in HS class rankings, most likely to have been 2nd round or undrafted based on rankings coming out of HS. And 7 ranked below 50 in their classes, incl walkon Conroy and several 3 stars.

CDC84
01-08-2017, 12:44 AM
I have to admit that when I watched I. Thomas in college, he was the least likely guy I ever thought would make an NBA roster, much less turn into an all star caliber player. And not just because of his height. All he seemed to do at UW was huck up bad shots.

I think Romar, even when recruiting non-5 stars, seems to have a knack of picking up big guards and wings who are very athletic and who eventually develop into guys the NBA seems to prize for their upside.

kitzbuel
01-08-2017, 04:03 AM
Actually that's not true at all. I just looked up the 15 Romar/UW players who made an NBA roster. One top 10-Hawes. Two more 5 stars in Brockman/Wroten. Five guys in the 25-50 range in HS class rankings, most likely to have been 2nd round or undrafted based on rankings coming out of HS. And 7 ranked below 50 in their classes, incl walkon Conroy and several 3 stars.

I'll buy that. But it sure makes his team's performance baffling.

zag944
01-10-2017, 12:07 PM
I don't think "getting NBA players" is nothing. It's one of the most difficult and important parts of the job (reading Withers book right now, specifically the Tommy Lloyd chapter. Few's first bit of advice to Lloyd..."teaching only gets you so far...if you want to stick in this business get good players" or something like that).

The thing that has always been weird to me is that there doesn't seem to be a plan or a defined role for basically anyone else. Seems like there are terrific talents and then a bunch of guys that seem to have no idea what the hell they are supposed to do. Usually you watch a team for a few games and you get a sense who can come in and hit some threes, who can play some perimeter d, etc. Not with any recent UW squad.

He was pretty successful in his first handful of years...wonder if he's changed something since, or if he is doing the same thing as always and just happened onto a program with some solid role players that worked well with the top talents.

seacatfan
01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
He was pretty successful in his first handful of years...wonder if he's changed something since, or if he is doing the same thing as always and just happened onto a program with some solid role players that worked well with the top talents.

That's an interesting question. He must be doing something different, because UW used to play aggressive, stingy defense. That's been missing for a number of years. Some of it might be personnel, but it has to be more than just that.