PDA

View Full Version : Post game radio: GU-USF

Section 116
01-05-2017, 08:29 PM
Hudson: Bulldogs move to 15-0, with a 95-80 win. GU shoots 61%. An early 21-5 run opened up the game in the first half. USF moved to within 10 a couple times in the first half. To GU's credit they never allowed USF to go a run to really close things down.

At one point in the first half GU hit 11 consecutive shots. NGW leads with 36, Mathews 16, Tillie 12 and Karnoski 10. Zags only 6-20 from three at 30%. NWG also lead GU with 11 rebounds. Turnovers for GU (14) is what kept this game from turning into a 30 points win. USF just 20% from three, well below their season average of just over 40%. Zags win rebounding battle 39-24, USF had only 4 offensive rebounds. 5 lead changes and 4 ties early on. Tied at 13 when GU went on the 21-5 run.

NWG was really aggressive looking to score tonight, something we haven't seen a lot of this season. 5 straight double figure games for Jordan Matthews, who Santangelo said has one of the best pump fakes on all of college basketball. Nigel showed all of his game tonight from everywhere.

Hudson said if NWG has anything else to his game I want to see it! Shem 10 points of 5-6 shooting. Impressive night for GU everywhere tonight other than turnovers. With 8 plus minutes left in the first half GU moved to a double digit lead and despite various runs by USF they never were able to cut it to single digits.

Michaelson: NWG night is up there with some of the all time great GU performances. He may be the best rebounding guard we have had here. NWG was spectacular. He's a really good shooter, he's got range and he is a high level defender as well. And Mathews is able to get off to those quick starts which is important. I thought we had some great responses when USF made their runs. Of our turnovers 12 of them came in a 12 minute stretch, the rest of the game we had two. 14 rebounds by Tillie and Collins in 37 minutes.

We're 15 and 0, 3-0 WCC, you have to celebrate every win. We gave them some shots that we shouldn't give them. We were 30 for 39 from two tonight, that is what 77%, that is just crazy. Tillie starting to get really comfortable and he and Collins give us exactly what we need. We're gonna get ready for Portland now and we expect a battle there.

Tillie: I'm feeling more comfortable. Those two floaters are something I have in my game. Sometimes the coach tells me to take the ball by myself because he knows I can do that. That's why you saw the dunk. 15 and 0 is pretty cool. We are really happy with that. 12-8 for Tillie, 3 assists and two steals in 20 minutes for Tillie. Hudson noted it's a lot of fun to watch these foreign kids come in here and do what they do. With the language barrier and all, and then to have the courage to play the way they do, wow.

Zags11
01-06-2017, 01:08 AM
Thanks. I believe something is special for this team but I'm enjoying every moment.

sittingon50
01-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Brian said that their main goal was to limit their 3 Pt. shooting, which they did. But they also gave up a lot of easy looks. That's something they will have to shore up.

My own observation was that usf's 1st 5 or 6 buckets were all within 2 ft. of the basket! Looking at the box score, the dawn's matched GU with 44 pts. in the paint. Not good.